Job Adjustment (Part 2)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Job Adjustment (Part 2)
Job Adjustment (Part 2)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-09 11:36:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Just thought it's worth noting that the whole "easy skill up" update applies only to low and mid level jobs as mentioned. It will still be difficult as *** to cap your guard/parrying/summoning skill as usual.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-07-09 11:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to Blm for a min..

Why not give them a JA that goes thru Magic reflect? You could counter it with added MP per spell like 5~10% or longer cast time, longer recast time, -magic acc, Reduced Damage with JA on, even added emn per non magic burst spells, anything really. I'd like SE to think outside the box and try to fix the whole Magic Reflect crap. I'm not saying that blm needs anything to make it MOAR UBER! Just something to get a blm back into the xp/pt scene. Or hell even something like the more times you you MB in a row the more MB damage you have, but if you miss a MB then it resets or something(I'm so far outside the box on some of these ideas...I think I might have lost said box!)
 Bahamut.Pheliont
user: Pheliont
By Bahamut.Pheliont 2009-07-09 11:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I know I am gonna get flamed on this... fast :)

Has anyone thought about calming down a little bit on SE's tail? We have a pretty decent group at least providing updates. I have a friend that plays wow like no other, and there are very little if any actual updates on it. Sure BLU 2hr sucks a bit, but 2 new spells that people might use isn't that bad. The Circle effects are eh, but I mean calm down a bit...

PLD/RDM barfire.... here we go
 Asura.Sharpe
Server: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-07-09 11:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Chefm said:
Sch need that little work thats going twords Blu....

Only thing we need is to be able to use some endgame gear.
 Cerberus.Nieko
Server: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-07-09 11:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Nieko said:
Someone's panties are in a bunch today... let's see... what can i say that Frobeus can't call me a lazy n00b about?
OH!
/sarcasm
d00d they should adjust the crafting system in the update! I hate being 50 lvls above a recipe and breaking the crystals 3xs or more in a row >.>
/endsarcasm

My panties have never not been in a bunch. People who whine about "elitests" b/c they are lazy get on my nerves.

What about those of us who have jobs/kids/lives and cant spend 23 hours of the day camping some nm or learning a spell? If I could only log on for a few hours at a time i'd rather spend it doing something fun, not shouting for help for an nm that cant be solo'd by anything ever and by the time u get enough ppl together u have to log off or have something else to engage in?(blackbelt {can I have it?)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-07-09 11:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Pheliont said:

Has anyone thought about calming down a little bit on SE's tail? We have a pretty decent group at least providing updates. I have a friend that plays wow like no other, and there are very little if any actual updates on it. Sure BLU 2hr sucks a bit, but 2 new spells that people might use isn't that bad. The Circle effects are eh, but I mean calm down a bit...

Why make a post if you already know before hand that it's so *** stupid that even you know it's going to get flamed before you even post it.
 Bahamut.Pheliont
user: Pheliont
By Bahamut.Pheliont 2009-07-09 11:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Pheliont said:

Why make a post if you already know before hand that it's so *** stupid that even you know it's going to get flamed before you even post it.

Because I have a right to post?
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-09 11:40:24

Operation Q_Q is a success!
 Fairy.Laia
Server: Fairy
user: Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2009-07-09 11:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure if this was mentioned, magic spell to reflect magic just like the greater colibri does? either blm or blu
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-09 11:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally, any additions are beneficial. I have no problem with the updates. =)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-07-09 11:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Nieko said:
Frobeus said:
Nieko said:
Someone's panties are in a bunch today... let's see... what can i say that Frobeus can't call me a lazy n00b about?
OH!
/sarcasm
d00d they should adjust the crafting system in the update! I hate being 50 lvls above a recipe and breaking the crystals 3xs or more in a row >.>
/endsarcasm

My panties have never not been in a bunch. People who whine about "elitests" b/c they are lazy get on my nerves.

What about those of us who have jobs/kids/lives and cant spend 23 hours of the day camping some nm or learning a spell? If I could only log on for a few hours at a time i'd rather spend it doing something fun, not shouting for help for an nm that cant be solo'd by anything ever and by the time u get enough ppl together u have to log off or have something else to engage in?(blackbelt {can I have it?)

Good job describing me. I have no HNM shell, I have a family and a job. Most of my time on game is spent in the few events that I can attend and running my shell. Yet, somehow, I can still get stuff done. The only reason people suck is because they are lazy.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-09 11:43:24

Frobeus said:
Good job describing me. I have no HNM shell, I have a family and a job. Most of my time on game is spent in the few events that I can attend and running my shell. Yet, somehow, I can still get stuff done. The only reason people suck is because they are lazy.

Or perhaps it's because they're actually enjoying the game and playing it on their own terms instead of acting so uppity over a video game.
 Cerberus.Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-07-09 11:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

So when did u find time to attain ur god-like ffxi stature?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-09 11:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Lilbusta said:
I don't get how they think adding more spells for BLU is going to help. Most damage done is from spells, yet it's limited by MP.

You have to learn how to manage your MP.

Totally depends what the new spells do. Blu has more spells than any other job (although typically uses a SJ that doesn't add to this list) which can do any of the following:

physical/magical damage
cure
erase
haste
stoneskin
acc boost
blink
evasion boost
DEF boost
shock/ice spikes
MAB boost
MDEF boost
Boost steal (like aura steal)
drain/aspir
light/dark sleep
VIT/DEX/INT/STR/AGI down
enmity down (seriously, wtf does this mean, WHAT DO YOU DO HYDRO SHOT!?)
poison
slow
para
bind
blind
silence
dispel
gravity
stun
terror
acc down
evasion down
attack down
DEF down
MDEF down
TP down
TP up (asuran claws lol)
plague

Yeah, that's a *** lot of different things blu can do, but every single one of those except for about 2 or 3, other jobs can do it better (or it just sucks so hard it's not worth doing). While RDM is the master enfeebler, blu is the true jack of all trades, master of none.

I dunno where I was going with this, (I found it interesting so I kept going <_<) but these two new spells could be absolutely anything on this list, or they may even add to this list. Of all of those things blu is capable of, there's a lot that I pretty much never bother with, so it's just the waiting game now to see if the two new spells are something I'll ever have a use for.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
Server: Valefor
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-07-09 11:46:31

Tbest said:

Sounds like you need an LS in your time zone. lol

For the most part I was playing during the inbetween EU and JP times. Right now I have an LS of nothing, but my good friends I've made playing this game. Seems like this game is more about conserving time>fun with most people.

Sorry to be off topic.
 Leviathan.Scid
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Scid 2009-07-09 11:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Update is kinda fail, I'm glad they haven't updated jobs who already have recieved a lot of additions. I'm sad to see nothing for BST though, a couple new perks would make the job a lot more interesting. I'd really love to see DD jobs balanced out more. Instead of just "Lets get a samurai! They're the best ddz ever lawl." Other DD jobs would be on the same level.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-09 11:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, get an LS that's in your time zone as well then. :P If you don't have spells you need, stop leveling and get them. You would never catch me showing up to a party without decent gear or with really low skill levels.
 Fairy.Raikan
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-07-09 12:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:
Seems like this game is more about conserving time>fun with most people.

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never discover anything new."
-Sir Ken Robinson.

Certain people on this forum view everything as right and wrong with no gray area whatsoever to speak of, they don't go away or learn to take hints, just ignore them and move on.

I'm actually quite excited for this update, I just hope it doesn't turn into another "Oops we tried to do too much in too little time, so the big things in the update aren't happening now sorry."
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-07-09 12:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Nieko said:
Frobeus said:

So when did u find time to attain ur god-like ffxi stature?

I'm not even close to that, but I dont' half *** my jobs and no one that I pt with could claim that I do. Use the down time that you do have to do something useful. Get a buddy and spam antlion ENM, spam the fei'yen bc from acp for earrings and items. Camp what you can and just save for the rest. Suck a *** if you have to, to get missions done. Don't stand in your mog staring at moogle spin.
[+]
 Cerberus.Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-07-09 12:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 Raikan
Platonically of course.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-07-09 12:07:17

Blazza said:
Totally depends what the new spells do. Blu has more spells than any other job (although typically uses a SJ that doesn't add to this list) which can do any of the following:

I dunno where I was going with this, (I found it interesting so I kept going <_<) but these two new spells could be absolutely anything on this list, or they may even add to this list. Of all of those things blu is capable of, there's a lot that I pretty much never bother with, so it's just the waiting game now to see if the two new spells are something I'll ever have a use for.

The traits you gain do help, but not as much to make them worthwhile, imo. So i mainly set my spells to boost my STR+ and a little DEX+ to help with the lack my race has. That limits me from utilizing a lot of other spells out there.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-09 12:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:
Manage MP, but even then you will eventually run out of MP and need to rest. I know someone gonna mention drinks or some form of refresh, but that still doesn't cut it. I can only speak from my own experiences, but if the party wants to kill fast BLU just can't do it as good as the heavy DD's.
A lot of the way to 75 you tend to party on mobs with mp (damn near everything besides crawlers/erucas), so from level 42 onwards you have the option of self SC'ing gravitation and MB'ing MP Drainkiss to keep your MP up. All jobs except like, rdm, brd and sch are situationally useful, so while blu may rock in a crab exp party where maybe war sucks because slashing is ***, war will rock on crawlers where blu sucks because no mp. Maybe not the most accurate example, but you get my point.

Lilbusta said:
Aly, thats very true and it's hard for me to drop those stat boosting spells just to load up on spells that work. Being a taru I end up sacrificing those STR+ spells I need so I'm not hitting the mob for 1-10 dmg.
In a typical exp party pre 75 you can typically get away with using a grand total of about 3-4 spells. The rest of your spells are then free to be used for conserve mp, auto-refresh and acc bonus. I really don't see the need to be loading up on STR spells until certain end-game situations when you're concentrating on ONE spell only. Blu has very low (and even) base stats, which means that the race difference on stats really don't effect damage too greatly (RSE generally makes up for it). So as I said before that all jobs are situationally useful, blu can adapt to any situation to find a use. In exp, that's always going to be straight damage. NM's and other situations is where you will really be able to start using those other spells with weird and wonderful effects, without needing to worry so much about having certain job traits or stats set.

Frobeus said:
Pheliont said:

I don't understand the problem with this post? We're getting new ***that we didn't have before, why QQ?

Nieko said:
Frobeus said:
Nieko said:
OH!
/sarcasm
/endsarcasm

If that's how you play the game, that's up to you. But you also shouldn't get butt hurt when people expect you to have half decent gear and do your job in end-game.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-09 12:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:
Blazza said:

The traits you gain do help, but not as much to make them worthwhile, imo. So i mainly set my spells to boost my STR+ and a little DEX+ to help with the lack my race has. That limits me from utilizing a lot of other spells out there.

That's what gear is for. >.> You're a Blue MAGE after all. lol Your purpose isn't to put out good melee numbers... You have a nice mix of both and Refresh from various sources helps you do the most damage.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-07-09 12:19:23

Not expecting to hit those 400-500 WS dmg, but to make it seem that I'm not slowing the party down. I just want more dmg than the bare min to get TP and SC.

Blazza,

Thank you for responding in a better manner. I wish I could sit and read everything about the jobs before I play, but that's my weakness. I could end up spending months reading forums and guides to jobs, but sometimes just learning from experiences tends to feel like the right thing to do.

I actually am looking forward to new spells. That's the biggest part I like about BLU. Spending the time to learn a spell feels like claiming a heavy camped NM.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-09 12:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Well Tbest is pretty much right, all your stats will come from your gear rather than from your spells (until you're concentrating on boosting cannonball or vertical cleave damage as much as possible and doing nothing else). In most situations at 75, I always set auto refresh (actinic burst is great to have anyway), acc bonus (frenetic rip and disseverment are must haves anyway) and conserve MP. I don't set additional spells for stats unless I have a few points left over and really have no other spell I can make use of.

For exp you may end up setting blastbomb or bomb toss for an extra 1 or 2 STR, but aside from that, the three traits I mentioned are far more important imo (especially acc bonus once you get into multi-hit spells). At 61 you should damn well be subbing thf rather than nin in exp, set head butt, death scissors, mandibular bite or bludgeon (or whatever spell does decent damage without SA), magic fruit and MP drainkiss.

Use Death Scissors every minute with SA, including in your SC, and use the other spell with TA on the tank. MB MP drainkiss (or Digest if you're not on MP mobs) and any other spell you set will be for auto-refresh (which will include frightful roar, use this if MP allows) and acc bonus, with any remaining points going to STR.

Also get a really good HMP set, not as useful in ToAU areas, but if there's any wait at all between mobs resting will help your MP management (and MP is more important than your lost tp anyway). If you set bomb toss for STR, you could also swap that out for poison breath and awful eye for clear mind if you're resting a lot (again, more useful in signet/sigil areas).

I generally try and read up on my jobs before hand, but there are no fully comprehensive guides out there that are the be all and end all, so you will always be learning from experience as well, that's not a bad thing. More than anything in this game, you have to keep an open mind and be prepared to try different things. People are generally pretty harsh and elitist about calling you a gimp ***, but if you're being called gimp, just be smart enough to realise why and work about changing it. If you're someone who can't/doesn't want to put in a lot of play time, this may be beyond your control, so enjoy the game however you can and don't let it bother you.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-09 12:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
No, you won't run out of mp. LEARN to manage your MP. Sanction/Sigil fresh/AF2 body/refresh spell set. Thats perma 3/tic. Get a rdm who can toss you a refresh on occasion. Get better DD gear, so you aren't forced to spam spells every second to be able to do any damage. The options are there, you do actually have WORK to get them.

I agree with this about 87%. MP should really not be a problem, especially when you can opt for /SCH. However, BLU is cursed with an A- 1-handed weapon and a terrible STR score. Forced to gear for accuracy, there is very little BLU can do about their mediocre melee. Focus on actually hitting and gaining TP to benefit your spells vs. trying to match the WAR's melee...
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-09 12:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

WTF is Circle-type Abilities o.0
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-09 12:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:

learn to read, it actually says them there... arcane circle, warding circle etc. and also killer instinct for some reason.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-09 12:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Frobeus said:
No, you won't run out of mp. LEARN to manage your MP. Sanction/Sigil fresh/AF2 body/refresh spell set. Thats perma 3/tic. Get a rdm who can toss you a refresh on occasion. Get better DD gear, so you aren't forced to spam spells every second to be able to do any damage. The options are there, you do actually have WORK to get them.

I agree with this about 87%. MP should really not be a problem, especially when you can opt for /SCH. However, BLU is cursed with an A- 1-handed weapon and a terrible STR score. Forced to gear for accuracy, there is very little BLU can do about their mediocre melee. Focus on actually hitting and gaining TP to benefit your spells vs. trying to match the WAR's melee...

Yup, as long as your swords are reliably hitting for at least 1 it's all good. Until you hit 75 and get some real swords, 90% of your damage will come from your spells (and still will at 75, but you'll be doing more damage all round). If you're in a situation where MP management really does plain suck (it can happen in some parties/camps), then you can try and build 100%tp every minute and Vorpal Blade in between CA timers, but most of the time you only have to build 100tp every two minutes anyway *shrug*
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-09 13:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Ludoggy said:

learn to read, it actually says them there... arcane circle, warding circle etc. and also killer instinct for some reason.

I dont need to read when you can just tell me.
thanks. :B
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9