Badges!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Badges!
Badges!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Fyyvoaa 2015-08-06 16:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Catnip virus badge.

because ... reasons.

[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-08-06 16:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
similar ones to strengthen our camaraderie
In my opinion they do the opposite: they encourage cliqueness and not camaraderie.

Besides, things that can cause a spike of spamminess I think are probably best avoided. Honestly, we should keep this as simple as possible and not try too hard to find something to insert it into.

the difficulty with badges in this context is that community involvement badges basically invite competition and cliqueness

Like badges on Steam work well because you earn them independently of others (from my limited Steam experience)

Here they're not automated (or at least that's the impression I'm getting) and for a lot of ideas for badges, you would need to "beat out" other people

I'm not sure how to make the badge system encourage "constructiveness" instead of competition
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-06 16:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I say keep it simple. If someone does something good, excellent give him one, otherwise let's leave the system alone.

This is my personal take on it.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Seha 2015-08-06 16:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile I will take this opportunity to encourage people to write some new crafting guides. The ones on wikia are ancient and most synths are far from the most convenient for your money/time. I dunno about others, but personally I'd love to have some new craft guides around.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-06 16:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

you all take the fun out of something that shouldn't be serious
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-08-06 16:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I've thought about rewriting the THF guide, but I'm not sure I'll have time to for a little bit. An Alchemy guide would be pretty simple though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-08-06 16:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
An Alchemy guide would be pretty simple though.
you sound so busy, it might cost you an arm and a leg

:v
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-06 17:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
1) Suggestions for people to get the guide maker badge. They should be long running and well maintained, not something that got slapped up in a weekend and maintained for a month before fading away.

Ill admit i havnt update my woodworking or smithing guide in years. But with all the changes from 2008 crafting to know... How can one update it? All kits and 10 lvl under now... ugh. Could have a 3 step guide...
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-06 17:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
1) Suggestions for people to get the guide maker badge. They should be long running and well maintained, not something that got slapped up in a weekend and maintained for a month before fading away.

Ill admit i havnt update my woodworking or smithing guide in years. But with all the changes from 2008 crafting to know... How can one update it? All kits and 10 lvl under now... ugh. Could have a 3 step guide...
I haven't played in a couple years and have missed out on all the crafting changes, so the first thing I'd do if I resubscribed tomorrow would be to check out a guide like that, even if it is really simple. Especially if it's really simple, actually, because I despise crafting.

That said, the bigger problem is wondering why I'd re-sub. Badges seem neat, but is the community large enough for it to matter?
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-06 17:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Badges seem neat, but is the community large enough for it to matter?

I was asked if I'd do something as a one-off for a contest. It was just as easy for me to write it in a generic fashion that would allow for other things, so this thread's real purpose is to answer the question, "What are the other things we can do with this?"

It's possible that the answer is "Not much, really", which is fine. But if there's uses, especially things that encourage community involvement, I'd be derelict in my duties if I didn't try to find and implement them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-08-06 17:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So, we have badges now!

Currently there are two in the system, one for guide makers and one for Ackeron's Amiibo contest. What I need from all y'all are two things, really:

2) Suggestions for additional badges. The idea here is that it should be for something community related; people who actually contribute and build things up. They should also be reasonably rare; the whole point is that it's something extra for someone who's put in the work to help build up the community.
what about editing guides after OP quitted?

trivia game participants will get one as well?
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-08-07 11:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is an interesting idea but, as touched-on before, the badges in general should probably be a positive thing that encourages individual participation in the site's (or at least forum's) core-activities, and not so much a competitive thing where the badges become something to fight over (unless there is a Fighting Badge! Oh wait.) :p

To me this would include things like (as mentioned) useful guides and information, but also things like supporting the community "feel" of this place. The only problem with this is it is still somewhat arbitrary, and not an automated system to award badges, and someone "in-charge" still makes a final decision (and thus ends up with potential calls of "favouritism".) But if the badges are just for fun things and clearly inconsequential-but-fun, then the impact of that is lessened no?

So just to brainstorm further ideas maybe things like...

* LOL pics participation badge (maybe based on overall contributions/frequency and not necessarily based on number of "likes" on posts LOL)

* Posted-in-Post-Your-Pics-thread badge (Tigerwoods still can only get this once, though!)

* Fan art badge (or even MSPC badge..."I contributed to MSPC and all I got was this stinkin' badge" badge!) :p

* News-and-updates contributor badge (for those who take the time to share the newest/important updates that come around, but not necessarily for those that just create threads to link to their latest favourite gripe thread from the OF lol...kind of a fine-line/subjective assessment there)

* Bug-reporter badge (LOL as if you had enough bugs to fix no?) :p

* In the Name of Science Badge (for posting *interesting* scientific news that we all seem to like and improves everyone's day...perhaps have a dedicated 'Science!' sub-forum just to make it easier to award a badge. I dare say even Guy Turns Dead Cat Into Helicopter might qualify as such a thread...maybe!) :p
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-07 11:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
perhaps have a dedicated 'Science!' sub-forum
I tried to make a dedicated thread and people hated the idea.. :(
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-08-07 11:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I"d do fanart again if I could get a shiny badge for it! that's some motivation

I really enjoy Dab's fan art.... can we at least lie and tell him he will get badges so he will make more?

also his badge should be one of his drg pics

[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-08-07 11:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Fenrir.Schutz said: »
perhaps have a dedicated 'Science!' sub-forum
I tried to make a dedicated thread and people hated the idea.. :(

Sadly when it comes to that type of news, people (okay, maybe I mean "Garuda.Chanti" when I say 'people') ^_- like to create individual threads on the subject(s) instead of pushing them into an Undead huge-macro-thread. :/

It's a psychological thing, or maybe it's a "you-can't-tell-me-what-to-do" type thing, much like participation in the "Random FFXI Question" thread (but maybe replace "Bismarck.Vize" instead of Chanti, there.) :p

*hugs Chanti* *hugs Vize* :p
[+]
By volkom 2015-08-07 11:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

what about bars / badges / titles based on post count or other site participation?
By Jetackuu 2015-08-07 11:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said: »
Catnip virus badge.

because ... reasons.

Virus the badge, brilliant!
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-08-07 11:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
as a warning to the others

That's... not the worst argument...

mouseover text needs to be NO, YOU SHUT UP
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 11:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say the frequent P&R posters should get a badge. Not because we've done anything worthwhile, but as a warning to the others.
I'm down as long as there is some kind of P&R badge(s).
By Ramyrez 2015-08-07 12:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I'd say the frequent P&R posters should get a badge. Not because we've done anything worthwhile, but as a warning to the others.

LIKE HITLER DID TO JEWS IN THE HOLOCAUST!?

/P&R's IT!
[+]
By volkom 2015-08-07 12:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

why was there a need to have badges?
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-07 12:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

I was asked if I'd do something as a one-off for a contest. It was just as easy for me to write it in a generic fashion that would allow for other things, so this thread's real purpose is to answer the question, "What are the other things we can do with this?"

It's possible that the answer is "Not much, really", which is fine. But if there's uses, especially things that encourage community involvement, I'd be derelict in my duties if I didn't try to find and implement them.

So yeah, not a need, but something I did while doing other things, and thought it could have potential.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-07 12:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If people are encouraged to contribute to the community in some way because of the incentive of badges then it can only be a good thing.
By volkom 2015-08-07 12:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I know some other forums display a badge based on post count and a tally of likes given and likes received.

I don't see anything really positive coming from this...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-07 12:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I am a strong supporter of the art badges, cause FFXI art is never enough!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 12:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

LIKE HITLER DID TO JEWS IN THE HOLOCAUST!?

/P&R's IT!
The Godwin Badge!
[+]
Guide Maker
By Seha 2015-08-07 12:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I know some other forums display a badge based on post count and a tally of likes given and likes received.

To you post count is more positive than actual contribution to the community?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-07 13:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha said: »

To you post count is more positive than actual contribution to the community?

Says the chick with a combined post count of over 50K...
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7