Badges!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Badges!
Badges!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Fyyvoaa 2015-08-07 15:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
You should get a ticking clock or something.

'Days gone since last virus'

I will endorse this.

Make it so!
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-07 15:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Because it's not game related and those are game profiles..
Peanut butter and chocolate must never touch!

99% of this website is not game related LOL
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-07 15:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
So? I didn't say anything against the forum post icon, just that there isn't much space.

Profile is gaming related and it would be horrible to put unrelated things in it.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-07 15:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even remotely true. Forum users are actually the minority of site traffic.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-07 15:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
So? I didn't say anything against the forum post icon, just that there isn't much space.

Profile is gaming related and it would be horrible to put unrelated things in it.
It already has a forums tab and these badges would be related to the forums so your argument is invalid on that point :P
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-07 15:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »

Not even remotely true. Forum users are actually the minority of site traffic.
As a minority I demand equal rights!

Minority badge <can I have it?>
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-08-07 15:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah not gonna lie, I think it'd be a fun idea. I support badges, such as badges for achieving certain post numbers, collective hours spent online, stuff like that.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 15:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Trophies too cause they look nice and shine bright.
[+]
By volkom 2015-08-07 15:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

so if there's going to be badges for well crafted and maintained guides~ why is there one for ackeron's contest? is there going to be badges for any contest?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-08-07 15:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Because that's what they were made for in the first place. It's the whole reason he made them for guides as well.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-07 15:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

so if there's going to be badges for well crafted and maintained guides~ why is there one for ackeron's contest? is there going to be badges for any contest?
YES!
Badgiest badge! (Badge for most badges)
I do like the idea of handing these badges out like candy and make them obtainable through doing things that keep the site active and running and HELPFUL.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-07 15:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
There should be a badge for joining the site in 2007 at least. Probably only like 20 of you guys would get it but still. Good way to show ground floor people.

(No I am not one of them)
Curiously, I'd actually make that cut. Didn't realize that I'd had an account here for almost 8 years now.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-07 15:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I answered this already, in a response to you.

why was there a need to have badges?

I was asked if I'd do something as a one-off for a contest. It was just as easy for me to write it in a generic fashion that would allow for other things, so this thread's real purpose is to answer the question, "What are the other things we can do with this?"

It's possible that the answer is "Not much, really", which is fine. But if there's uses, especially things that encourage community involvement, I'd be derelict in my duties if I didn't try to find and implement them.

So yeah, not a need, but something I did while doing other things, and thought it could have potential.

My job is to tend to the health and growth of the site, and that includes the forum/community. So if someone's contest brings people together and boosts the community, sure, I'd give them a badge. There'd be some discussion about particulars, but why would I agree to write a bunch of code and infrastructure for a one time thing?

I'm fully okay with the possibility that there isn't a workable suggestion for badges beyond the guide makers and contest winners. If this thread yielded more good ideas, awesome, that's why I made it, but if it doesn't? That's okay too.

What I've mostly gotten from this thread is the sense that what people value on the forums varies wildly.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-07 15:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What I've mostly gotten from this thread is the sense that what people value on the forums varies wildly.
Welcome to humanity?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 15:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

why is there one for ackeron's contest? is there going to be badges for any contest?
I was curious on what that was to begin with until the thread got bumped.

So for every badge that's available on such an exclusive event, there should be one available that's not so exclusive to balance it out. Otherwise it becomes... eh can't think of the word, but you can see where problems may arise.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-08-07 15:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe have 2-3 visible at a time, and if the user collects more, they are all visible on the user's profile page?
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-07 15:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You all taking this way to seriously.
If you wan't it to be a contest of who has the biggest epeen and I'm against the whole idea.
If you want to be badge nazis and only hand out a few to a select few then you will have only created clicks and even more conflict in where even less will be accomplished. If you give them out freely then people will feel more appreciated and the majority will be more likely to contribute as a community rather than feeling like one sitting on the outside of a click
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-08-07 15:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole reason there's a badge is because Kali is insane

She asked Rooks if he could do something like a badge as a reward for winning the contest for FFXIAH participants who can't join the actual one on Excalibur (where you get gil as a prize).

She figured if you could get a prize it might make more people join in (obviously didn't happen) and now you're all making a huge deal about it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 15:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

So if someone started a contest in the arcade section, just as an example, for some kind of C&C: Generals competition, then in theory a badge could be issued for that event too, right?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-07 16:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
mythic before 2009
Oh please. Just what makes my mythic different from one made back then? That I did assaults solo? Wow, big deal.

Besides game achievements already exist on the game profile.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-07 16:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
So if someone started a contest in the arcade section, just as an example, for some kind of C&C: Generals competition, then in theory a badge could be issued for that event too, right?
Why not a more generalized badge for events.
For example: "participated in an event!" then say a new upgrade for every 3 or 5 events get a replacement badge "Participated in 5 events!" or "event master! participated in 100 events!" etc etc
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-07 16:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You all taking this way to seriously.
If you wan't it to be a contest of who has the biggest epeen and I'm against the whole idea.
If you want to be badge nazis and only hand out a few to a select few then you will have only created clicks and even more conflict in where even less will be accomplished. If you give them out freely then people will feel more appreciated and the majority will be more likely to contribute as a community rather than feeling like one sitting on the outside of a click

Taking things seriously is what I do, ask anyone.

I'm fine with making more commonly available badges. But I haven't seen any suggestions for such (need to backread again) that fit my criteria. The kinds of badges I'm not interested in are:

- Anything tied to a 'counting stat' like post count or [+] or anything else that can be straight up gamed.
- Anything that's impossible for a particular person to get (account creation date, etc).
- Things related to the games. We have achievements for that.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-07 16:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

As for Ack's badge:
In my experience "events" work very well and are appreciated by the community, they feel involved and spark interest increasing active time on the forum.
Now, I don't particularly like this one contest, but that's just a personal opinion and it is not indicative of anything, events that encourage community participation are good nonetheless.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By volkom 2015-08-07 16:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

so basically it comes down to... anyone who can make a guide that gets traction and is maintained
or through exclusive events/contests
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 16:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So yeah to the whole events that are based on non ffxi/xiv games as long as there's a certain amount of participation involved?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-07 16:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

so basically it comes down to... anyone who can make a guide that gets traction and is maintained
or through exclusive events/contests
Or whatever else you might come up with that will be beneficial for the forums. I believe this is also an encouragement to be creative.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-07 16:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So yeah to the whole events that are based on non ffxi/xiv games as long as there's a certain amount of participation involved?

Sure. And if your pitch to me is good enough, being able to offer the badge could boost that participation (which is why I got asked about it in the first place).
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-07 16:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure. And if your pitch to me is good enough, being able to offer the badge could boost that participation (which is why I got asked about it in the first place).
Intriguing, this might actually work and maybe get people to be creative with the events as well as it gains traction.

I'm thinking that people who rarely or have never posted on the forums would still participate too.

Kinda relates to girlboy's thing said in NI about continuing traffic to the site post FFXI days.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7