Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 17:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
...I don't agree that SE are a bunch of devious masterminds...
That's exactly what they are.

Their end goal is to give just enough of an upgrade that people "have to have it", then make the average time limit to obtain the new equipment long enough for the average player that the event lasts 50%-250% longer than it should before new content comes out to replace it.

I'd personally chalk that up to laziness or ineptitude due to the fact that they have to impose painfully droll artificial limitations on gameplay just to increase the lifespan of their content, but to each their own.

I can understand 24hr~ time limits on things like Dynamis and Limbus and stuff like that, but things like Salvage, Meebles, and Assaults shouldn't be on such a strict lockout.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 17:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't count out devious masterminds just because they are lazy, I see that as one in the same.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-02 18:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously they want to draw out Salvage.
It's the source of Alexandrite.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 18:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4

We've added a lot of very powerful armor from Neo Salvage, however to balance this out we will be limiting the number of Alexandrite that will drop within the expanded salvage areas. We expect that players will want to take part in the original salvage content for base armor and alexandrite while they do neo salvage for the new and improved armor pieces.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-02 18:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Are you still playing despite constant threats of quitting if they don't do as you demand?

Yes?

That's what I thought.

Are you here to contribute something to the discussion or are you only going to poke your head in every few pages to cherry pick random statements and flamebait people for no reason?
Constant threats of quitting? Where did that come from?

There are plenty of obvious reasons for why you are wrong in this statement and others.
1) Your first response to me (pages back, I didn't bother to respond) assumed I haven't done neo nyzul. Although it would take you 10 seconds to insure that you don't make dumb assumptions.

2) Yes Mythics are the most time consuming, but I would disagree that Relics are tougher to get than Empyreans, unless you're referring to pre-99 versions.

3) There have been dozens upon dozens of times where SE has obviously derped with gear and job upgrades/additions to know that there is an obvious lack of understanding there. Just take this update as an example: "Woops, we fked up with Embrava and PD. This update will hopefully fix our mistake." Which btw, there fix is to nerf these, and then lower a few boss' hp by 10%.

Sure, I'm not going to come right out and say that they are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, and I agree that they do a very good job of "knowing exactly how to design it so we keep chasing the carrot."
But to say they know exactly how their game works... that's just pure fluff. For a company who seems to be VERY conservative with what they spend their time working on, it makes no sense to design and implement all the worthless spells, job abilities, and items that have been added to the game even just in the past couple years.
*edit* Not to mention the current abilities being tested.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-12-02 18:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Their end goal is to give just enough of an upgrade that people "have to have it", then make the average time limit to obtain the new equipment long enough for the average player that the event lasts 50%-250% longer than it should before new content comes out to replace it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-02 18:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like this is a corollary of Occam's Razor or something.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-02 18:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Exactly
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-12-02 18:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hanlon's Razor actually.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 18:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying they aren't stupid, but I'm sure they are fully aware of what they do and have done.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 18:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Then maybe they should stop committing the same mistakes over and over again.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 18:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not a mistake if they keep doing it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 18:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Then it's just unbridled stupidity
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-02 18:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the only update to Meebles the ability to see our progress? Are they still deciding whether we will be able to "save up" more than 5 pheremone sacks?
(purposeful subject changer)
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 18:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they do it on purpose.

They have access to player requests and opinions. They are fully aware of the most important requests we've made to them and they have rejected them.

They may be stupid, but they are doing it on purpose.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 18:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't choose to be stupid, it just happens. If they're doing anything on purpose, it's either to stall or because they literally are so bad at doing what they do at this point that the "inept" title isn't far from accurate.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 18:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't choose to be stupid, it just happens
You can choose to act stupid to your customers, claiming you don't know how to do something to prevent doing the work.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-02 18:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Constant threats of quitting? Where did that come from?

Wasn't directed at you specifically, but rather at the general playerbase that always implies that if they don't fix something they'll get tired of the game, but SE knows they're almost always blowing smoke. I see a lot of the leftover playerbase as just a bunch of mistreated housewives that yearn for the good ol' days and constantly nag the husband to stop being such an abusive ***. I'm no exception, lol.

Quote:
Your first response to me (pages back, I didn't bother to respond) assumed I haven't done neo nyzul. Although it would take you 10 seconds to insure that you don't make dumb assumptions.

If you had read my first post in its entirety I wouldn't respond in a way that assumes you've never done neo nyzul before. It's not my responsibility to check your gear and make sure you're not as dumb/inexperienced as your statements/lack of reading comprehension imply you to be.

Quote:
Yes Mythics are the most time consuming, but I would disagree that Relics are tougher to get than Empyreans, unless you're referring to pre-99 versions

That's pretty much what I mean. Empyreans only need to be 85 to be usable, and while the 150M+ gildrop does make them significantly stronger, it isn't a prerequisite for having it at all like the relics are.

Quote:
There have been dozens upon dozens of times where SE has obviously derped with gear and job upgrades/additions to know that there is an obvious lack of understanding there. Just take this update as an example: "Woops, we fked up with Embrava and PD. This update will hopefully fix our mistake." Which btw, there fix is to nerf these, and then lower a few boss' hp by 10%.

This is what I mean by my statement that they know how their game works. They will hear their playerbase saying that it's impossible to beat the content without Embrava/PD (It's not), and they will continue adjusting the game to conform to their vision regardless of how much the playerbase bellyaches unless they are seeing it tangibly affect their bottom line.

They work on their own twisted logic, is the point. They WANT people to take alliances to fight ADL. They WANT people to get their *** mauled in Legion). They WANT people to only reach floor 100 of neo nyzul a ridiculously low rate. They even reflect this by having these events give rewards out in a way that's atypical (100% guarenteed at a piece of armor/100% meteor and arise, multiple honors). Alternatively, they apparently don't care THFs, DRGs, NINs etc suck at doing damage because their "utility" makes up for it.

The only problem is that the playerbase doesn't want to and chalk that up to them not understanding the game, which I think is untrue. I think it's more that they understand the game, and then don't care and will defy logic in the name of preserving their "vision" of the game. End result is about the same as them not understanding it, though.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 18:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't choose to be stupid, it just happens
You can choose to act stupid to your customers, claiming you don't know how to do something to prevent doing the work.

And in doing so they legitimately fit the definition, that's the point. ;P

Choosing not to appease your consumer base on the basis of laziness is not acceptable. Unfortunately there's only so much that can be done about it.

Besides that I genuinely believe they don't know ***about their game. Players fluent in the inner workings and calculations of FFXI probably know more than a majority of the development team. I doubt anyone except the people who actually dig through the mountains of broken code of the game, to input all the stupid ***they're told to stick in there, actually know *** all at this point.
 Lakshmi.Deces
Server: Lakshmi
user: Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2012-12-02 18:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Leviathan.Kincard said: »
For a company who seems to be VERY conservative with what they spend their time working on, it makes no sense to design and implement all the worthless spells, job abilities, and items that have been added to the game even just in the past couple years.
*edit* Not to mention the current abilities being tested.
You forgot this "Slippery Silas".
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-02 18:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd believe it was malevolence instead of ineptitude if SE hadn't reliably shown itself to be out of touch with... everything. I mean, did you see the same initial SP Ability proposal that I saw? Some of them were/are so bad that they might as well not even have been coded, while others were really strong. There was no apparent relationship between how useful/strong a job is and how useful/strong the proposed SP ability was.

That's not "Oh, we're trying to enforce balance by giving a job that we feel is too powerful a terrible SP ability."

That's "Oh, we don't know how to count to potato."
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-02 18:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I'd believe it was malevolence instead of ineptitude if SE hadn't reliably shown itself to be out of touch with... everything. I mean, did you see the same initial SP Ability proposal that I saw? Some of them were/are so bad that they might as well not even have been coded, while others were really strong. There was no apparent relationship between how useful/strong a job is and how useful/strong the proposed SP ability was.

That's not "Oh, we're trying to enforce balance by giving a job that we feel is too powerful a terrible SP ability."

That's "Oh, we don't know how to count to potato."

On that topic, why did they change Cor's? 3 rolls seemed awesome, and the new one just seems like a "less random wild card", no?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-02 18:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably for more grind fodder later on. I recall some mention of sticking special spells/songs/effects on some job's weapons so that they're exclusive bonuses that you have to work for. 3 rolls on COR was one of those iirc
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 18:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You should really be asking the question, why tease us then give us something horrible.

They know exactly what would be good, they clearly change it.

I'm not saying they weren't too powerful to begin with
 Lakshmi.Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2012-12-02 19:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't understand how SE *** and moans about work load, here is a solution hire some *** people. After all they created this problem, way back when when Rapture was announced, they took half of ffxi's dev and money to make that abortion ff14, we never got the rest our Indian given dev team back. I really do think if ffxi sinks SE will too, *** their manga and what ever balanced product they ***out. Rest in piss.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-12-02 19:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I'd believe it was malevolence instead of ineptitude if SE hadn't reliably shown itself to be out of touch with... everything.
This. The official responses on the OF are laughable, arguably moreso than the average player response there even without considering the level of knowledge they should have regarding their game (whereas the average player is not expected to have a strong grounding in the game's mechanics). They have no understanding of the game they're working on. Not even on a mechanical level, let alone things like basic economic principles that shape the world itself.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-02 19:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently people still use the term "indian giver". Wow. How about you settle down Deces. When a project fails, they lose money. Ever stop to consider they don't have the money atm, to hire more folks, due to them having a full team for 14 2.0?
 Lakshmi.Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2012-12-02 19:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Apparently people still use the term "indian giver". Wow. How about you settle down Deces. When a project fails, they lose money. Ever stop to consider they don't have the money atm, to hire more folks, due to them having a full team for 14 2.0?
No ***Sherlock, do I hear an echo?
Ever stop to consider that is a problem only they created?
 Lakshmi.Rearden
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-12-02 19:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Deces said: »
I just don't understand how SE *** and moans about work load, here is a solution hire some *** people. After all they created this problem, way back when when Rapture was announced, they took half of ffxi's dev and money to make that abortion ff14, we never got the rest our Indian given dev team back. I really do think if ffxi sinks SE will too, *** their manga and what ever balanced product they ***out. Rest in piss.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-02 20:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Deces said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »
No ***Sherlock, do I hear an echo?
Ever stop to consider that is a problem only they created?

Well if they don't have the money atm to hire more dev team members, how is that a solution? Think before you rant and just start bitching without reason?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 23 24 25