November 2018 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-09 12:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

To be totally fair. It is actually complicated. There should not be a distinction. I can see why someone wouldn't understand.

There's no reason that WSD shouldn't (have always) applied to every hit of a ws, the increase is pretty minor, overall for the large majority of them, and the outliers never would've been that strong had it worked properly in the first place.

The way ***is worded, and improperly translated, and the way things are coded there's no consistency, it's very easy to misunderstand.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2018-11-09 12:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, no reason other than that the game has spent 16 years telling us one thing and things working entirely differently.

Personally, I did think this was a good simplification, if it had been intentional. They could have watched things, toned back certain WS and everything would have been healthier, if balance was their aim. But that's a big if.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-09 12:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
The way ***is worded, and improperly translated, and the way things are coded there's no consistency

Fotia Gorget; WSD 10%

"Insurgency weaponskill damage +10%"

"weaponskill damage +10%"

All mean very different things.
it's very easy to misunderstand.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-11-09 12:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it fair if us to really knock when TRANSLATIONS aren't coming through properly? Is the original jp help text for these terms as equally close and confusing? (I do agree with previous posts saying it's straightforward, just pointing out we're dealing with both complicated similar terms along with those terms being translated, and then limited to a certain number of characters that will fit on an item.)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-09 13:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

When a good half of your clientele is english and you have absolutely zero english employees I think it's very fair to knock the translations. No one to blame but themselves. There are dozens if not hundreds of players that would work for them for free, if not just for a free sub. (not full time obviously, you've got to make a living, but as a consultant or whatnot)

You think blizzard lets bad translations go through to their foreign players? (without fixing them when found)
[+]
By Afania 2018-11-09 13:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Is it fair if us to really knock when TRANSLATIONS aren't coming through properly? Is the original jp help text for these terms as equally close and confusing? (I do agree with previous posts saying it's straightforward, just pointing out we're dealing with both complicated similar terms along with those terms being translated, and then limited to a certain number of characters that will fit on an item.)

JP text for fotia: ウェポンスキルの命中+10/ダメージアップ+10% Direct translation is "weapon skill's accuracy/damage up +10%". This is the same text as elemental belts, which says weapon skills damage "up".

JP text for epa ring: ウェポンスキルのダメージ+5%, direct translation is "weapon skill damage +5%"

To be fair, they are indeed 95% similar to anyone that doesn't play the game at hardcore level. ウェポンスキルのダメージアップ+10% looks so similar to ウェポンスキルのダメージ+10% that is basically 1 word difference.

Only those who play FFXI for long long time would know ONE word could make huge difference to describe stats.

For example, elemental magic attack bonus and magic attack bonus is entirely different stat just because former has the word "elemental". Fotia is the same, it says weapon skill damage up and that gives it a very different stat.

When a good half of your clientele is english and you have absolutely zero english employees

Source? Afaik this is false.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-09 13:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously hyperbole I don't know how many translators they employ, but I know they need to try a little harder.

Aside from english GMs, I know they have them.
[+]
By Afania 2018-11-09 13:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

They could probably modify the fotia text by adding an "up" which matches JP text. But those who doesnt read forum probably wont tell the difference like how some people dont know pixie +1 is affinity not mab.

So the core solution is to read forum and keep up with info anyways. FFxi has been favoring players who play the game like a bookworm with wiki and textbook since day1.
[+]
By Aerix 2018-11-09 13:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
And this is what we pay our sub for .. can I curse here? Damn .. I really want to.

So basically the only thing I got from this update is my Insurgency nerfed back to what it was. Was having fun seeing bigger numbers the past few weeks. The new ambuscade weapons are not even good stop gaps for returning players. Bummed out pretty much. SE not giving me any reason to keep subbed to this game. It's not just this update but a whole bunch of things they're not addressing. Had they addressed the WSdmg bug many of us wouldn't have changed our sets to accommodate.

My mission is to finish my Aeonic cycle with my LS so I can unsub. Tired of giving SE money for doing nothing but crap all over its playerbase. Call me emo knight or whatever .. I'm just sick of SE giving us nothing but utter manure.

See you again next month!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2018-11-09 14:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So the original hint in the November Update preview was:

Quote:
So what’s the story behind these Ambuscade arms? With the overall character advancement path taking shape, we’ve been aware that there’s a rather significant hurdle to acquiring weapons with certain parameters, and it’s made some hesitant to take the plunge. We believe these Ambuscade arms will serve to give these players the boost they need. We hope that you’ll enjoy using Ambuscade as a stepping stone to bigger and grander adventures in Vana’diel.

So which hurdle are these weapons supposed to overcome? Are they supposed to be somewhere between Oboro's JSE weapons and REMA? Because it doesn't look that way so far ~
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-11-09 14:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

Quote:
So what’s the story behind these Ambuscade arms? With the overall character advancement path taking shape, we’ve been aware that there’s a rather significant hurdle to acquiring weapons with certain parameters, and it’s made some hesitant to take the plunge. We believe these Ambuscade arms will serve to give these players the boost they need. We hope that you’ll enjoy using Ambuscade as a stepping stone to bigger and grander adventures in Vana’diel.

So which hurdle are these weapons supposed to overcome? Are they supposed to be somewhere between Oboro's JSE weapons and REMA? Because it doesn't look that way so far ~

Yeah in their current form they are very weak, so weak as to not be worth getting. Maybe they'll have a +2 form that we can augment or put stuff on.
By Nariont 2018-11-09 14:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well when you +2 them, which will cost the amount of pts a full +1 set likely costs, then theyll just barely be above homestead weapons, of course by this point you might have already have access to su2 weapons or gotten an escha/oboro weapons, but hey "options"!
[+]
By Afania 2018-11-09 14:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

They are cheaper than augmented oboro weapons and serves different niche. For example it can be difficult for a new player to get a decent sword on cor after 99 since fettering drops from a bc and only has good drop rate from vd, and Hep sapara is locked behind JP.
[+]
By Foxfire 2018-11-09 14:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Quote:

Yeah in their current form they are very weak, so weak as to not be worth getting. Maybe they'll have a +2 form that we can augment or put stuff on.

I literally posted this on the second page.
Foxfire said: »
the +2/final version of the weapon hasn't been revealed/implemented, so yeah the base/+1 are lackluster obviously

edit:

funk shared this from the FP.

Asura.Cair
VIP
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2018-11-09 14:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Correctly localizing terms and maintaining semantic consistency is an important part of designing a multi-language game that has literally never mattered to this dev team, for some reason.

So yes it is fair/no we aren't surprised.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-09 14:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
And this is what we pay our sub for .. can I curse here? Damn .. I really want to.

So basically the only thing I got from this update is my Insurgency nerfed back to what it was. Was having fun seeing bigger numbers the past few weeks. The new ambuscade weapons are not even good stop gaps for returning players. Bummed out pretty much. SE not giving me any reason to keep subbed to this game. It's not just this update but a whole bunch of things they're not addressing. Had they addressed the WSdmg bug many of us wouldn't have changed our sets to accommodate.

My mission is to finish my Aeonic cycle with my LS so I can unsub. Tired of giving SE money for doing nothing but crap all over its playerbase. Call me emo knight or whatever .. I'm just sick of SE giving us nothing but utter manure.

See you again next month!

Well I'll be around next month as it takes my LS ages to do one aeonic cycle due to doing one event a week .. so I guess you will. But like I said, unless SE gets its act together I don't see much point. It's not just the wsdmg thing (in fact that's the least of the issues), there's many other things which frustrates me about the current game. Not going to blurt it all out here, but it really is frustrating.

Only unsubbed from this game twice in 14 years. First time was life stuff. Second time was when Delve was the only thing worth doing just after Adoulin came out. Last time SE drew me back with Records of Eminence and tons of quality of life updates which rejuvenated the game. I'd encourage anyone else to do the same if they're sick of SE's crap. They don't care about changing the game for the good of its players unless they lose money.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-11-09 15:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Every update now someone is gonna come out and claim smn is nerfed.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-11-09 15:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »
Smn is nerfed. 0 proof or facts to establish my end it’s just the American way these days.
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-11-09 15:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
Smn is nerfed. 0 proof or facts to establish my end it’s just the American way these days.
Hanlon's razor, ***.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-11-09 15:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
Hanlon's razor, ***.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
But reasons!!!
 Asura.Karumac
user: Karuma
By Asura.Karumac 2018-11-09 15:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what I see when I look at the Ambu weapons? I see the same thing I see on Ambu armor. Plenty of Accuracy. I expect that trend to continue when they get +2.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-09 15:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

When I look at them I see a massive failure just like skirmish weapons. That's all I get out of it. +20 acc doesn't even make up for being 223 skill.

Cor will probably be *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and everything else completely ignored.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Tarage 2018-11-09 16:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, it was my mistake then. I thought it was a nerf based on what I saw. Wasn't paying that much attention beyond making sure I was doing my job correctly.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-11-09 16:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

When I look at them I see a massive failure just like skirmish weapons. That's all I get out of it. +20 acc doesn't even make up for being 223 skill.

Maybe as an offhand, since you already see things (presumably) intended to be used there with 228 skill, such as Ternion Dagger or Shigi. It's more likely though that they're not designing the base or transitional versions to be used for much, and the odd +skill is just to underscore it.
As I mentioned earlier, the oddly high magic accuracy does make me wonder about what the final form might look like.
By clearlyamule 2018-11-09 16:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cor will probably be *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and everything else completely ignored.
Original skirmish weapons were originally great... and then delve and rem updates happened. Then alluvion ones came out and some are still good
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-09 16:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Skirmish weapons were always dumpster tier. The greatsword had like a month were it was cool. Gun (its always ranged weapons) is it's own category, hell anarchy level 99 is still bis ffs. It's just the nature of guns now.
By clearlyamule 2018-11-09 16:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Staff was still good until Reisinjima
 Ragnarok.Neyochimaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Neyochi
By Ragnarok.Neyochimaru 2018-11-09 17:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

#ScapegoatTarry

Someone had to take my place. You're filling big shoes bro. They're warm and comfy tho.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-11-09 17:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks to all for legit answers to my question as well as the original text/translation. Not that I read Kanji, it's just nice to see the comparison.

I wholeheartedly agree that if as much of a company's customer base doesn't speak the native tongue of the company, it's on that company to seek out employees who can speak the language of their clientele.

My concern was merely are we reading something totally different than the Japanese player base. It appears not... as usual it boils down to snarky code and designers not playing their own product.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10