First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 16:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

3rd eye breaks the rules... Can parry with 3rd eye up

But, can also counter while keeping 3rd eye up.

I suppose it counts as a shield block. at the end
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
Server: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2018-04-04 17:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You parry before you anticipate.
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
Server: Fenrir
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2018-04-04 17:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone notice that the status icon swap is broken? I can't even remember what it was (I think a dat swap?) But I have the original status icons now instead of the upgraded ones.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 17:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a while since xiview got overwritten by an update, just change it back, 2 second fix

It's called Xiview, just drop the rom file in the ffxi folder, 3 files in dat119
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
Server: Fenrir
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2018-04-04 17:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah ok awesome,ty
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-04 18:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Abdhaljs resin has been added.
Abdhaljs resin can be obtained in Ambsucade and is used to augment job-specific capes in new ways. Unlike previously existing Abdhaljs items, players are able to choose the property they would like to give the cape.

Is this a typo?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-04-04 18:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Quote:
Abdhaljs resin has been added.
Abdhaljs resin can be obtained in Ambsucade and is used to augment job-specific capes in new ways. Unlike previously existing Abdhaljs items, players are able to choose the property they would like to give the cape.

Is this a typo?

Localization team is full of typo's ever since the great Camate left.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-04 19:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Nitenichi said: »
You parry before you anticipate.

Yet must you not first anticipate before you parry?
By Odin.Kuroganashi 2018-04-04 19:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So I take the Counter+ will proc even if you are not MNK or /MNK right?

Wouldn't that be a pretty solid Augment for most DD (TP mantle set)?

Thinking of :

BLU SAM DRK THF DNC RUN DRG

if not, what else do you guys recommend?

I like the fact you can add Pet: DT or Regen for PUP BST SMN That is pretty Wicked :D
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 20:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Any job where you would be tanking counter is an incredible augment

You could argue that parry would serve you better, however, though 0>10 counter should be a better improvement than 5% parry since you probably wouldn't get all 5% of it...

*unless its actually inquartata, and ignores the 20% hard cap
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-04-04 20:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guessing it's a direct increase, but they worded it the way they did because +5 Inquartata would be +10% and they only wanted to give +5%.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 20:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no real way to know just based on wording for square...

(thought it was 10% parry, not 5)
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-04-04 21:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Any job where you would be tanking counter is an incredible augment

You could argue that parry would serve you better, however, though 0>10 counter should be a better improvement than 5% parry since you probably wouldn't get all 5% of it...

*unless its actually inquartata, and ignores the 20% hard cap
The parry cap isn't 20%. See the below links for 20%+ parry samples. PLD/DNC right after ilvl parry skill was added to weapons. First test was actually on the test server. Second to confirm rate post update.

Sample 1
Sample 2

I probably should update the wiki or something. I'm curious if SE just ninja'd the cap, or if this is somehow a side effect of the massive skill+. Softcaps that scale(very poorly) with parry skill? /shurge Hmm. Might be another thing to put on my test list. See if can I push that any higher by adding more skill or fighting weaker mobs, or both. And we still don't have a clue how parry calcs actually work. Not that it's terribly important. Practically speaking, Parry aside from Inquartata sucks.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 21:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The activation rate of parry is determined by the enemy's level and the player's parrying skill and is limited to 20% maximum.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Parrying_Skill

Just going by what it says.
By monkey33333333 2018-04-04 21:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

parrying skill adds a maximum of 20% as little as 1% need gear and stuff like that to make it 100%
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-04-04 21:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The activation rate of parry is determined by the enemy's level and the player's parrying skill and is limited to 20% maximum.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Parrying_Skill
Yes. I've seen the wiki entry. And I'm telling you it's wrong, and presenting evidence to support this. I really do feel like I've missed something here. Feel free to spell it out for me if I'm being dense.

monkey33333333 said: »
parrying skill adds a maximum of 20% as little as 1% need gear and stuff like that to make it 100%
And I have no idea what you're on about.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 21:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Suppose that makes sense

He's saying the base for skill is a max of 20% adding gear raises it, from the base max (20%)

IE level 1 mob can only be parried 20% no matter what, until you add parry+ gear (and job traits)

But that ***could be totally wrong too. idk. I didn't write the bgwiki info.

The whole point being 10>5 I'm reasonably sure 10counter > 5parry (except on a tp move, which you have zero chance to counter, but probably aren't going to be wearing your ambuscade cape for when you get hit with a tp move)
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-04-04 21:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That seems.. really weird. Any references for that idea? Prior testing?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 22:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asking the wrong guy. If I wanted to know anything about parry shield and counter... it'd be you I'd ask. lol.

No one that does that kind of ***is still around/active.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-04-04 22:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pardon, I should have addressed the question to monkey33333333. You clarified monkey33333333's post for me, but the question was for him to answer since he's making the claim.

I was digging around on JP wiki to see if they had anything interesting, but it seems to be about the same as what we know. At least to the extent that google translate can inform me.

Well, Parry stuff goes on to the great "list of ***to test" to be tackled next free period or whenever I re-sub.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 22:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Well since you're here, answer the hypothetical?

10% counter with assumed 20% parry max < or > 0% counter with 20%(assumed max)+5%

At what point would 5 parry beat 10 counter (assuming no cap) from a damage reduction standpoint. Or would 10% PDT always beat them both.

*for a TP set cape, not in a defense scenario

If you get hit 100 times for 100 damage;
counter stops 1k, parry stops 500, 10PDT stops 1k but still gives tp (I know it's not quite that simple)
By monkey33333333 2018-04-04 22:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

welp what i have have found is that on a job like sam (any job rly) with cap kills you get 1-20% parrying rate if your doing low lvl stuff like 1-113 you get the max 20%. 119-125 you get 5-12% and anything that is 135+ get 1-2% that what i have found when i was playing around on sam and did more testing with RUN and you always get the 1% no mater what so that's a big+. Before Ambuscade RUN had 97% parrying rate (with gear, JA, and JT) but its really 98% because of skill

hope this helps more ^^
By monkey33333333 2018-04-04 22:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i did my testing sam/war with no parrying gear+ or skill but weapon
 Phoenix.Gerrott
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2018-04-04 22:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Counter loses appeal to me because how often is it going to proc on TP moves? Parry can and PDT always will help reduce physical tp moves/aoe.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 22:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gerrott said: »
Counter loses appeal to me because how often is it going to proc on TP moves? Parry can and PDT always will help reduce physical tp moves/aoe.

But, in a TP set. You ideally aren't going to wear your tp cape when you get hit with "random tp move name"
 Phoenix.Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2018-04-04 23:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

But, in a TP set. You ideally aren't going to wear your tp cape when you get hit with "random tp move name"

Most dangerous tp moves are now magical but some are still physical, along with 10PDT on an awesome tp cape opens up a ton of offensive options in your hybrid sets. I'd rather gear this way than having 10% counter rate for melee swing defense. I mean I could be overlooking a situation where you'd use it but not seeing it.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-04 23:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You're talking hybrid, I'm asking TP. You can build more than one cape.

So considering the options -for a tp cape- (which i specified 3 times...)
By Nyarlko 2018-04-04 23:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I see it is, how useful are they actually going to be for non-tanks? :/ It doesn't matter at all if my THF has 99% parry rate since the mob should never be looking my way as long as the tank lives after all.

So for non-tank, non-pet roles, wouldn't options like Regen+5, Resist+10 or even Def+50 be a more sizable help? My BST is almost DT- capped, so none of the DT/PDT/MDT options do much of anything for me for example. My DT- gear is not JSE either, so that covers multiple jobs w/ DT-40%, with the remaining PDT/MDT+10% trivial to scrape up. If I know that the mob should never be looking my way, then stuff like counter/parry/block are essentially worthless. :/

So.. what would be the best option for indirect defense options for a non-tanking, non-pet job? Further, what would be the best option when already DT- capped?
 Phoenix.Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2018-04-04 23:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess I'm just not seeing when I'd have something swinging at me that is hard enough to be debating damage mitigation augments, and not be in hybrid. On another note, you can only get 3 this month so may as well go for the hybrid tp cape that will function for both TP / HYB now.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-04 23:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »
The way I see it is, how useful are they actually going to be for non-tanks? :/ It doesn't matter at all if my THF has 99% parry rate since the mob should never be looking my way as long as the tank lives after all.

I pull hate all the time on DD, in fact any DD worth their salt should be occasionally pulling hate, it's why we have "Oh ***please don't die" sets to begin with. Whats interesting for me is between PDT -10 and Status Resist +10 on my TP cape because I still wear that cape in my DT set. My DT sets have me capping DT while still having high offense.

Guess I'm just not seeing when I'd have something swinging at me that is hard enough to be debating damage mitigation augments, and not be in hybrid. On another note, you can only get 3 this month so may as well go for the hybrid tp cape that will function for both TP / HYB now.

Orcish counterstance and / or MNK NM's. Their counter procs are terrible and tend to deal big damage bonus's.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8