The Official BGWiki Thread!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » The Official BGWiki Thread!
The Official BGWiki Thread!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-23 16:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm. I like this thread idea.

One thing I've noticed recently, is that there's pretty much no info on newer normal monsters and their locations on the wiki.

For example, looking up the word Apex, an entire series of mobs, yield... Apex arrow results, and little else.

I suppose this is possibly more a FFXIDB site thing, but well, that's not working either, map wise.(they do at least have a list of mobs/zones though)

Another thing is basic item pages. One of the primary uses for a wiki, is finding out what the hell this thing that just fell in my inventory is for. But if you look up say, Dark matter... Nada. You're left with no clue what should be done with it based on the page. At least there's a link to the FFXIAH page for it though, where the comments do inform.

One of the advantages of the old wiki was the cross connections between items and what they could be used for. Although, I understand that that's both difficult(impossible?) to automate, and work intensive to do. But it's a thought.

Also, the arcane glyptics page for Reisenjima gear doesn't make a single mention of Dark Matter augs and the differences in its augs/caps. Now Dark matter augs are hardly mainstream, considering the cost and randomness. But with this event going on people might want to at least be able to look up the augment mechanics/caps without digging through the BG thread.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-03-23 16:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

For AHable items, having the breakdown of category an item is listed under would be so nice. 9/10 it's listed in Alchemy because all random crap is, but knowing where to look to buy stuff would be nice immediately on the item page. That could also be a useful enhancement to this site though...
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2016-03-23 16:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. We edit the wiki for the community. If the community didn't exist, there would be no reason for us to spend hours working on BGWiki. We do not get any compensation for the work that we do, so it is all on a volunteer basis. I want to make the experience for those still playing FFXI to be as enjoyable as possible. Helping players by editing a major information source is one of those ways. We want to focus our efforts where you want them to be focused.

My hopes for this thread are that it will let us easily communicate with all of you, the players and the readers. Let us know what you want to see done, and we will be sure to prioritize it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-23 16:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Hmmm. I like this thread idea.

One thing I've notice recently, is that there's pretty much no info on newer normal monsters and their locations on the wiki.

For example, looking up the word Apex, an entire series of mobs, yield... Apex arrow results, and little else.

I suppose this is possibly more a FFXIDB site thing, but well, that's not working either, map wise.(they do at least have a list of mobs/zones though)

Another thing is basic item pages. One of the primary uses for a wiki, is finding out what the hell this thing that just fell in my inventory is for. But if you look up say, Dark matter... Nada. You're left with no clue what should be done with it based on the page. At least there's a link to the FFXIAH page for it though, where the comments do inform.

One of the advantages of the old wiki was the cross connections between items and what they could be used for. Although, I understand that that's both difficult(impossible?) to automate, and work intensive to do. But it's a thought.

Also, the arcane glyptics page for Reisenjima gear doesn't make a single mention of Dark Matter augs and the differences in its augs/caps. Now Dark matter augs are hardly mainstream, considering the cost and randomness. But with this event going on people might want to at least be able to look up the augment mechanics/caps without digging through the BG thread.

I will go over the Vagary page items and review them (I have previously skimmed them before, but I am sure I missed a thing or two) either today or tomorrow and remedy that. Generally I am the one who fills in all those item pages, but there are just so many. Thank you for mentioning Dark Matter.

As for the augments. I would say now that the DM campaign has been going it is possible to record some of the augments. We do know things like MAB or Acc cap at +50 though. Faequeen has been overseeing that page since its creation, but I can take a look at it. No promise on a timeline for that though.

As for Apex mobs if anyone can list out (didn't you make a thread for this Jean?) the positions for all the Apex mobs I can add that to the list. I wouldn't hold my breath for FFXIDB getting updated though.
As for normal mobs beyond that. That will not be coming anytime soon, but anyone is free to work on it. It has been mainly an issue since Adoulin. A page like Marjami Ravine or something needs work.

As for cross connections what are you exactly referring to? Clicking the BG icon in the right corner of an item will bring you to a list of all pages it is mentioned on.
Oh nice. I didn't know about that. That pretty much covers the functionality I was thinking of, provided the item is present in other relevant pages.

I'll try to think of other things that would be nice for the wiki. Maybe update a few things myself, where my page editing skills allow.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2016-03-23 16:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I've notice recently, is that there's pretty much no info on newer normal monsters and their locations on the wiki.

It is true that we have relied on FFXIDB in the past to show spawn locations. This is not so true these days in new areas and for new mobs. At some point in the past, data gathering stopped on FFXIDB, causing a stop to new information gathering. It is a good idea to update these monster lists, especially apex mobs.

I know this issue is a huge deal breaker for most players, and that is the reason they pull up oldwiki when they see a blank item page. It is important to understand that updating the item pages is pretty much double the work when we go and add said item to an event page. Take Eschalixir +2 as an example. The usage for this item is clearly shown on Nolan, but nothing is on the actual page. Because we try to get data out as fast as possible, normal item pages are usually lost in the shuffle. I eventually DO want to populate all item pages, without a question. This is a goal we have, without a doubt. In the meantime as Spicy mentioned, you can click the BG icon in the upper right of any item page and see where it is linked from internally on other wiki pages.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2016-03-23 16:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
For AHable items, having the breakdown of category an item is listed under would be so nice. 9/10 it's listed in Alchemy because all random crap is, but knowing where to look to buy stuff would be nice immediately on the item page. That could also be a useful enhancement to this site though...

This is a semi-completed project. There is no reliable way to automatically add this to an item page when I generate them upon being added to the game. That being said, a tag needs to be added manually. We have the majority of items with a category tag, but I believe this stopped sometime late 2014/early 2015. I will be sure to add finishing this to our list of things to do.

To see where we are at, look on the left in the navigation. You can see a dropdown menu that says Items. Click on Materials from there, and then you can see sub categories. These match the AH Materials category. Click on one from there and that is an incomplete list materials sorted alphabetically like the AH in-game.

This tag is also shown on item pages on the bottom in a category list. Remember, not all items are done so it is missing on newer pages.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-23 17:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

This is a semi-completed project. There is no reliable way to automatically add this to an item page when I generate them upon being added to the game. That being said, a tag needs to be added manually. We have the majority of items with a category tag, but I believe this stopped sometime late 2014/early 2015. I will be sure to add finishing this to our list of things to do.

To see where we are at, look on the left in the navigation. You can see a dropdown menu that says Items. Click on Materials from there, and then you can see sub categories. These match the AH Materials category. Click on one from there and that is an incomplete list materials sorted alphabetically like the AH in-game.

This tag is also shown on item pages on the bottom in a category list. Remember, not all items are done so it is missing on newer pages.

Yeah, but no one is going to the materials page.

They want what is on the bottom of the page there, but since it isn't staring users in the face like on clopedia they don't know that Carp Sushi is under breads and rice and not seafood meanwhile it is tagged at the bottom for breads and rice.

While we both love the icon for the referenced pages link, Funk. My fear is clearly realized in the fact users don't know it is even a link.

Similar to the scroll icon on pages bringing you from the spell page to the scroll page where the NPC vendor and things would be contained. Why exactly did you guys split up scrolls and spells?
Oh god! I'm a User..!?
Anyone in Tech Support related fields will understand how disturbing, and depressing it is to realize that. <,<;;

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2016-03-29 10:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

While we both love the icon for the referenced pages link, Funk. My fear is clearly realized in the fact users don't know it is even a link.
I had no idea that was a link either. It's been annoying switching between wikis while trying to figure out the purpose to all these new fangled stones and crap I'm getting from the gobbie chest and random mobs I kill.

As a returning player, it's been extremely frustrating trying to figure certain things out. Now that I know this thread exists, I'll try to make note of issues I run across. I'm still very much behind the learning curve, so my 30 wiki tabs probably won't decrease anytime soon.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-02 00:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Noticed that several job pages now sport a "strengths/weaknesses" section... Do we really need that? I'd expect that sort of content in a guide rather than on the job page itself, and I'm inclined to remove it.

Asking here because idk, I don't really have anywhere better to ask and I don't want to go reverting/deleting what's basically subjective content without some sort of dialogue first.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-02 01:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Noticed that several job pages now sport a "strengths/weaknesses" section... Do we really need that? I'd expect that sort of content in a guide rather than on the job page itself, and I'm inclined to remove it.

Asking here because idk, I don't really have anywhere better to ask and I don't want to go reverting/deleting what's basically subjective content without some sort of dialogue first.

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/108127-Information-Redundancy-and-the-Failures-of-Wikis?p=6667206&viewfull=1#post6667206
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-02 01:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Works for me!

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-04-02 04:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

A weakness was how BLU was 'dependent on capping haste to reach its full DD potential'

lol wow. so other DDs don't need haste to reach their full potential huh?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-02 05:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vinedrius said: »
A weakness was how BLU was 'dependent on capping haste to reach its full DD potential'

lol wow. so other DDs don't need haste to reach their full potential huh?

From the link earlier the notable BLU things mentioned is:

Arguably has the best Job Points and Gifts in the game.
Capable of self skillchaining.
Somewhat gear intensive.
Has a steeper learning curve than other jobs.

What DD isn't capable of self skillchaining...or gear intensive? And I really think learning curve is entirely subjective, I've met plenty BLU's that equip generic traits and CDC CDC CDC.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-04-04 16:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

For Reisenjima NMs (probably even just the T1s and T2s) I'd like to suggest listing the NMs' favored augment stone drop.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-04-04 22:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing written down or recorded, just similar testimonies. If requested, I can do an hour (or more) of each NM and report the stone drops from each. Of course, this will take a few days, but I've been meaning to farm stones for the sake of augmenting some stuff recently, anyway.
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-04-04 22:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIDB doesn't give this info? Seems like that would be a good starting point.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-04-04 22:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The mobs aren't recorded on FFXIDB from what I can see.

For starters, though, I think most people would agree that Selkit often drops Fern and Sang Buaya often drops Taupe.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9