Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Aegis vs. Ochain
Aegis vs. Ochain
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-10-03 20:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Both shields are great items, each fight is going to have different out comes for what you choose to use, and luckily before you engage you are given the option as to which you want to use, or if you don't care about using WSs then shield swap.

I know in a number of Voidwatch fights there are times where Aegis will easily be more beneficial then Ochain, and other fights where Ochain will pull ahead, neither of the shields are better or worse then the two so I don't see why there is even a debate they're both good, anyone who has otherwise to say is just blind and can't get past it cause they own one but not the other, and so they pick their favorite because they got to play with it for so long and they don't want to think that their favorite toy is replaced or has an equal.

Everytime I read lolAegis or lolOchain I can click the person making a response and see that they don't have one or the other.

I also sure as hell know Aegis or Ochain doesn't make or break the Paladin that's for sure, it just requires less to actually play the job, I've seen plenty of fail Ochain and Aegis players to know this.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-10-03 20:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I have both and I see far more mileage from Ochain, outside the occasional weakened with a nuke incoming, then I'd make a swap to Aegis. Aegis is arguably better /NIN (which I still haven't used since 75), or for heavy magical and equally physically lacking fights.

Unless you're capping block rate with Aegis, or close to (and consistently) then Ochain offers far more.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2011-10-03 20:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

NO ONE MENTIONED THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT...Ochain can't do 310 shield bash DUH
 Asura.Haxetc
Server: Asura
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-03 20:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed in the past 2 months that the PLD I know with Ochain have started making or have made an Aegis while I haven't met any Aegis PLD that have took the time to make Ochain (not to say there aren't ppl that have) Just saying that it seems like Aegis PLD seem more satisfied with tanking with just Aegis. It is the complete shield. As many ppl say mobs do melee, Aegis does block. I've never been dropped low in hp unless encumbered and the only thing that kills me is the death TP moves/spell from T3 Jeuno VW. I can't say the same for the Ochain I've tanked with.
[+]
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
Server: Cerberus
user: marc4497
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2011-10-03 21:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Haxetc said: »
I've noticed in the past 2 months that the PLD I know with Ochain have started making or have made an Aegis while I haven't met any Aegis PLD that have took the time to make Ochain (not to say there aren't ppl that have) Just saying that it seems like Aegis PLD seem more satisfied with tanking with just Aegis. It is the complete shield. As many ppl say mobs do melee, Aegis does block. I've never been dropped low in hp unless encumbered and the only thing that kills me is the death TP moves/spell from T3 Jeuno VW. I can't say the same for the Ochain I've tanked with.

I had ochain first and it was aight, but nothing beats my new shiney aegis. PLDs who have the ochain and not an aegis just dont know, and that's the bottom line.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-10-03 21:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Arcmarc said: »

I had ochain first and it was aight, but nothing beats my new shiney aegis. PLDs who have the ochain and not an aegis just dont know, and that's the bottom line.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said: »
I have both and I see far more mileage from Ochain, outside the occasional weakened with a nuke incoming, then I'd make a swap to Aegis. Aegis is arguably better /NIN (which I still haven't used since 75), or for heavy magical and equally physically lacking fights.

Unless you're capping block rate with Aegis, or close to (and consistently) then Ochain offers far more.

3 posts above yours. I personally trust Dark much more than some random idiot.
[+]
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-03 21:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Your post provided much input to this thread :)
Idk why you think ppl care who you trust
This isn't "Dark vs idiot" it's "Aegis vs Ochain"
 Valefor.Worlace
Server: Valefor
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2011-10-03 21:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Konvict said: »

386, got Shield Bash gear?
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-03 21:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Worlace said: »
Lakshmi.Konvict said: »

386, got Shield Bash gear?
Fenian ring go!
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2011-10-03 22:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

it's ok if some troll wants to call me an idiot; I just think that there wasnt a reason to have to explain this to people who dont know.

I use my ochain inside abyssea but on voidwatch, absolute virtue, pandamonium warden, and all those "idiot" mobs, I prefer aegis becuase the 70% block rate or better I get from aegis is decent enough to not have to have my 95% or so block rate from ochain simply because the -MDT on aegis is unbeatable. Of course the person calling me an idiot is a vere mnk who's probably wondering why he's completely useless now on new content except when the pld is saying, "HV H2H." I mean, come on, they had to make MNK somewhat useful outside abyssea or lol salvage...
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-10-03 22:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Your post provided much input to this thread :)
Idk why you think ppl care who you trust
This isn't "Dark vs idiot" it's "Aegis vs Ochain"

You don't even need to trust anyone, it's a simple comparison you can do in your head without using any numbers.

Majority of damage taken across the board is physical. Ochain overall deters more damage than Aegis unless Aegis is at a close to or capped rate, which outside of Palisade won't happen on anything you'd consider worthwhile content (and reprisal doesn't always cap you). We should be able to agree that Ochain is more effective in mitigating physical damage, any counter argument is wasted breath outside what I listed above.

It is the complete shield. As many ppl say mobs do melee, Aegis does block.

And also possesses a lower floor rate, being true quite often, thus resulting in more damage taken physically, meaning it isn't "complete".

Quote:
I've never been dropped low in hp unless encumbered and the only thing that kills me is the death TP moves/spell from T3 Jeuno VW. I can't say the same for the Ochain I've tanked with.

You're comparing player vs player. You don't measure the capabilities of a shield vs. a different shield wielded by someone who could have a completely different level of playing skill.

I can't say the same for the Ochain I've tanked with.

Why don't you compare shield vs shield? That statement is pretty much implying Ochain = death and Aegis = win. Despite Aegis only offering higher MDT, and if you actually require that MDT (since the Ochain apparently dies repeatedly), whatever you're fighting must be nigh impossible without an Aegis. Anecdotal ***.

You shouldn't have any reason to pursue both shields if you own one, they aren't going to break the game. Pretending one beats the other always (which is amazing considering they have entirely different strengths) simply advocates a poor attempt to justify time spent obtaining said shield. Both are good.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-10-03 22:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

70% block rate or better I get from aegis

Like I said, baseless eyeballing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2011-10-03 22:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said: »
70% block rate or better I get from aegis

Like I said, baseless eyeballing.

sorry that there's nothing in the log that says "arcmarc blocks the attack with his shield" or i'd be able to give you an accurate number.

What I can say is that i've gone to count with aegis and ochain on even match mandies in abyssea tahrongi and counted as best i could.

when using the ochain out of 50 attacks the mandy did to me I blocked 47 times and with aegis i blocked 38 times.

this my last post as it's apparent the trolls are in full force.
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2011-10-03 22:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis is gold. Thats enough for me.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-10-03 22:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain Can't do this:

Aegis is obviously superior!
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-03 22:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis is a great shield, but its proponents aren't doing it any favors by grossly exaggerating.

The odds of me walking away from this thread thinking Aegis is megasuperawesome better than Ochain are limited, but when you say things that we can prove false almost instantaneously, onlookers are going to think that Aegis might actually be worse than it actually is.

tl;dr- you're making something that isn't bad look bad

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2011-10-03 22:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Pallisade and Reprisal will significantly help Aegis block more then its normal 45-60% rate. If I did have an Ochain though, I would idle in that and quickly swap in Aegis for the mdt unless the mob used some nasty magical tp move or instant cast spell. Like people have mentioned, its all situational and depends on the mob.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8