First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-02-27 07:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
I didn't think Ochain got its "special" functions until 90.

Im pretty sure its just a 20 defense tower shield at 85. Thats like a weak castellans. Getting the horns gives you double the defense and converts 25% of the damage that does get through to mp.

*edit* wow beaten lol
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-02-27 08:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

Im pretty sure its just a 20 defense tower shield at 85. Thats like a weak castellans. Getting the horns gives you double the defense and converts 25% of the damage that does get through to mp.

*edit* wow beaten lol
Speaking of castellan's... I've seen an unusually large amount of plds running around with this shield. I guess due to it being cheap and having little idea of how block rate vs damage reduction works.
By Quiznor 2012-02-27 08:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

*edit* wow beaten lol
Speaking of castellan's... I've seen an unusually large amount of plds running around with this shield. I guess due to them being bandwagondins

fixed ^_^
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-02-27 09:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

TY for the answers im guessing i either have to stick to aegis or see if i cna get the ls to run me azadaja farming.
i dont see my little static doing it. to much work and i have 3 emps (almost 4) and only one person have an emp besides me soo yeah. not really my turn lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [49 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Savain
Server: Valefor
user: Savain
By Valefor.Savain 2012-04-16 09:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis is fantastic if you macro between gear for heavy physical moves (ie, to PDT / Shield). With haste and a bard your Reprisal recast drops to 1:10, so you just need to survive 10 seconds before getting it back up.

Ochain pisses me off. Plus, either you're a good tank or you suck. No middle ground. So either shield would work for a seasoned player.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [157 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Hiruzen
Server: Odin
user: Oskilfai
By Odin.Hiruzen 2012-09-20 04:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's nice to have bouth Shields. Each Shield has it's porpose. But i would say from my personal view that Aegis>Ochain. It just depends on what you do ingame and wich Mobs you fight and the Situation.

Some Examples:
Fjalar: Aegis
Bismark and Morta: Ochain
Provenance Watcher preFights: Aegis
Tiamat/Jormungand: Aegis+Ochain
Legion: Aegis+Ochain
Aby-Cleave: Ochain

There are many more Situations where you would switch the one or the other Shield. I realy love to have bouth.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-09-20 05:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hiruzen said: »
It's nice to have bouth Shields. Each Shield has it's porpose. But i would say from my personal view that Aegis>Ochain. It just depends on what you do ingame and wich Mobs you fight and the Situation.

Some Examples:
Fjalar: Aegis
Bismark and Morta: Ochain
Provenance Watcher preFights: Aegis
Tiamat/Jormungand: Aegis+Ochain
Legion: Aegis+Ochain
Aby-Cleave: Ochain

There are many more Situations where you would switch the one or the other Shield. I realy love to have bouth.

Done both bismarck and morta with Aegis was very easy same with aby cleaving.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 13:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Some Examples:
Fjalar: WAR
Bismark and Morta add holder: Any Shield
Provenance Watcher preFights: WAR
Tiamat/Jormungand: WAR
Legion kiter: Aegis
Aby-Cleave: WAR

ftfy
[+]
 Odin.Hiruzen
By Odin.Hiruzen 2012-09-24 02:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you can do it maybe without Ochain/Aegis, but i sayd I use it for that and that it's nice to have bouth. Cleaving works with Aegis, but it's a LOT better with Ochain. Who has bouth know the difference in TP.

Most People who have Aegis don't get a Ochain and People who have a Ochain get Aegis after. But i saw also some people get Ochain after Aegis. If you love PLD and if it's your main, you would get bouth Shields anyway.

At least i use bouth Shields and i'm happy to have them and i consider it not a waste of time doing bouth.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2012-09-24 03:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

in EU people say bouth?
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-24 03:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
in EU people say bouth?
No, GB English uses "both", it's just a German mispelling.

Also, this.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
Server: Fenrir
user: Gundula
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-09-24 03:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
in EU people say bouth?

No lol. But at least in EU most people learn a foreign language at school (in a lot of cases even two or three) and try to use them.

Hiruzen, dein english ist unterirdisch, zumindest solange du solche sachen wie "both" anstatt "boath" nicht raffst. Lies dir dein geblubber durch bevor du postest und DENK NACH lol!

Kids these days........
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-09-24 04:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The debate was clearly requiring a to high level of IQ for Fairy.Ghaleon. So the only way he could join the debate was to make fun of a foreigner, "speaking" a foreign language and getting one word wrong in Fairy.Ghaleon's native language.
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2012-09-24 06:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently got Aegis after having Ochain for so long. I gotta say, despite what people in this post have been saying, Ochain destroys Aegis when it comes to physical damage. I also find myself running out of mp very fast with Aegis because of the damage being taken and no mp recovery from blocks. I was playing around with a blm NM in campaign with Aegis tho, and you really can't top that 80dmg Quake2. So like people have been saying, its situational, but I find there wasnt much I couldnt tank with Ochain. Aegis is just another shiney for my pld
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-09-24 06:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
you really can't top that 80dmg Quake2.

You could absorb it and have it heal you.
 Odin.Hiruzen
By Odin.Hiruzen 2012-09-24 10:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Offtopic: i don't care about my English skills.
Ontopic: You're absolutely right Drayco, Xenhas too, but i would eat 80dmg with Aegis instead of getting MP from Ochain. But that depends on your Play Style.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-09-24 10:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

In summary: Both are fairly useful for a job that really isn't.
[+]
 Bismarck.Samusaki
Server: Bismarck
user: Samusaki
By Bismarck.Samusaki 2012-09-24 10:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

At the time of this post I have a 90 Ochain and 95 Aegis. Currently 3/5 on marrows for 99 Aegis. I built my Aegis the hard way, before neo dyna. Aegis is a solid shield, I eat AM2, Tier V and ja spells for breakfast. And let's not forget to mention the 350+ shield bash. Now Ochain.... it should say 25% of the time it successfully blocks. But when you hit that sweet spot it's great. Blocking like crazy and building TP. Ochain reminds me of Super Mario Bros 3-1, where you get 100 lives by jumping on that turtle at the end. Sometimes you can nail it on the first try, sometimes it's a pain.

To repeat what has been said throughout this post, everything in this game is situational. It's all about pdt vs mdt. When a mnk hundred fists, use Ochain. When you see a thunder V use Aegis.

It's funny when people that have neither think they know everything about the 2 shields.

Bottom line, just build both.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Marquiss
user: Marquiss
By Ragnarok.Marquiss 2012-09-24 10:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

But paladins make good scape goats for when ish hits the fan in bad groups!
 Odin.Hiruzen
By Odin.Hiruzen 2012-09-24 10:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain Blocks more then 25% of the Time (depends on what you fight)
 Bismarck.Samusaki
Server: Bismarck
user: Samusaki
By Bismarck.Samusaki 2012-09-24 10:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain Blocks more then 25% of the Time (depends on what you fight)

Sorry for the sarcasm. You are correct it does block more than that. I was simply stating at times it feels like it doesn't. But when it does, you'll be glad you have it.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2012-09-24 11:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

To Whom it May Concern.

my apologies for the minor derailing, carry on! lol.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8