Link | Quote | Reply

Kin37ix said: »

lol I'm sorry, that made me laugh.
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2012-01-10 07:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else kinda sad to see Aegis become no longer an exceptional achievement,but almost rather standard nowadays. Dynamis on easy mode, and it's pretty much expected to play Pld to have either Aegis, Ochain or both. People even shout specifically for it for VW. It used to be a real big deal, so sad to see that's it isn't anymore.
side note: 53/70 M. silver to finally finish my Aegis.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jinz
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Jinz 2012-01-12 15:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

not really bothered. The game is on its last leg. Aegis/Ochain are being bandwagoned due to the residual remnats of a once great job.
[+]
 Valefor.Woodman
Server: Valefor
user: Woodman
By Valefor.Woodman 2012-01-12 16:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

People have been saying this game is on its last leg for 5 years...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Crollion
Server: Carbuncle
user: Crolion
By Carbuncle.Crollion 2012-01-12 16:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

People cry that relics where 2 hard now people say there 2 easy and ya if I'm doing a jeunO T6 I'd like a pld that knows what there doing wouldn't u?

Soon people gonna jump on the mythic bandwagon so won't be that bad more mythical running around
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-01-12 16:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Woodman said: »
People have been saying this game is on its last leg for 5 years...

Can't wait until SE is like, "ok, shuttin her down," and all the people we say "I TOLD YOU!! I TOOOOLLLLDDD YOU!"
By khidafi916 2012-01-12 16:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Omegacloud said: »
Kin37ix said: »

lol I'm sorry, that made me laugh.
LOL
By Quiznor 2012-01-12 16:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Crollion said: »
People cry that relics where 2 hard now people say there 2 easy and ya if I'm doing a jeunO T6 I'd like a pld that knows what there doing wouldn't u?

Soon people gonna jump on the mythic bandwagon so won't be that bad more mythical running around

People have been doing that since the level 80 cap.Soon as the 80 cap hit everyone and their mother had every 2nd post about starting a mythic.Then they realized "oh ***,i cant low man einherjar" and i had to lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2012-02-20 07:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So, i'm about 650 coins from finishing apocalypse and next relic i'm doing is Aegis. Should I bother getting ochain as well, or is it a lot sub par now that most of what we fight is magical damage again and no unlimited mp for cure bombing in abyssea? I have 0 problem making ochain, I am probably just going to brew azdaja to hell if I were to go through with it just to speed things up.

So ochain yes/no?
By furyofthestormx 2012-02-20 07:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

A good Paladin has both.
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2012-02-20 07:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

furyofthestormx said: »
A good Paladin has both.

completely useless info
[+]
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-02-20 07:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You are set on making aegis and have no problem making ochain... I think it wasnt too useless of info
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
user: subakyo
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2012-02-20 07:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I have both, and i can tell you, honestly...

Aegis is probably the best to have if you can only have one. Aegis's MDT- is unreal, and tanking anything that is magic heavy, or spams magic based TP moves, Aegis will soar past ochain. Even stuff you dont realize, like Ig-Alima, where if fanatics is off, Aegis will save you more times then you can count. (Well, if if punches you your dead, but thats the case with ochain too.)

However, Ochain will leave aegis in the dust on anything that is seriously melee heavy. Monks, are a great example. Aegis will only do 50% average block rate on really tough mobs. Maybe that still sounds high, but if half the hits are connecting to you with full damage, your mages will be burning MP. And, believe it or not, that stupid 25% damage to mp gives you A LOT of mp over time. True story, even though it might not seem like it.

The poster above me, was right. The best paladin you can be will have both of these shields.

But if your sincerely only going to do one, I would recommend Aegis. Hope that answers it.
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2012-02-20 07:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

A good Paladin has both.

Nah it was, I wanted some details, not something simple

Bismarck.Kyokaku said: »
I have both, and i can tell you, honestly...

Aegis is probably the best to have if you can only have one. Aegis's MDT- is unreal, and tanking anything that is magic heavy, or spams magic based TP moves, Aegis will soar past ochain. Even stuff you dont realize, like Ig-Alima, where if fanatics is off, Aegis will save you more times then you can count. (Well, if if punches you your dead, but thats the case with ochain too.)

However, Ochain will leave aegis in the dust on anything that is seriously melee heavy. Monks, are a great example. Aegis will only do 50% average block rate on really tough mobs. Maybe that still sounds high, but if half the hits are connecting to you with full damage, your mages will be burning MP. And, believe it or not, that stupid 25% damage to mp gives you A LOT of mp over time. True story, even though it might not seem like it.

The poster above me, was right. The best paladin you can be will have both of these shields.

But if your sincerely only going to do one, I would recommend Aegis. Hope that answers it.

Oh i'm not sincerely going to do one. I really do want both. I'm actually working on a gun for my mule so i can put her two mil cruor to use and burn through azdaja. I just was trying to see how "WORTHY" ochain is for my time atm, or should just sell all my cruor to make aegis faster. Keep in mind I'm only 19/75 colorless souls atm and not actively working on it as I'm literally a day from finishing apoc and going crazy waiting on getting stage 4 back lol

Edit: added in quote from poster directly after my previous
By Latifah 2012-02-20 08:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

both shields are required for heavy tanking/decent tanking, i used to farm gil daily daily with someone that uses both shields and that only had aegis before ochain, no shield is better than other
By furyofthestormx 2012-02-20 08:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Evildemon said: »
So ochain yes/no?

Pretty sure you asked for a simple yes or no. I actually gave you more than that. You asked if you should bother getting it, the answer was yes.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2012-02-20 09:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Evildemon said: »
So ochain yes/no?

Pretty sure you asked for a simple yes or no. I actually gave you more than that. You asked if you should bother getting it, the answer was yes.

Considering I wrote more than a one line post, definitely wasn't looking for just a simple answer.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2012-02-20 10:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't be bothered with Ochain, Aegis is a very solid shield, with Reprisal and Palisade to bounce back and fourth between, you're gonna be sitting around a 60-80% block rate give or take depending on what you are fighting.

If you are using it in Voidwatch, you're going to have 5 MP recovery items to make up for the extra 25% MP from Ochains blocks that you wont see, you'll also have fanatics on 80% of the time, the 20% being when the HQ are terribly difficult to proc (wyvern breath, ect.)

People will *** and bark about how one is better then the other, having both, and having had Ochain long before my Aegis, I personally prefer Aegis over Ochain.

Only times I find myself using Ochain is when I do Einherjar T1-T3 runs for pulling the entire floor and holding it while DDs rape the mobs, and that's if none of the mobs cast some form of magic that could hurt, then it's straight back to Aegis, and the other time I use my Ochain is when lolcleaving in Abyssea.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2012-02-20 13:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nekonarf said: »
Don't be bothered with Ochain, Aegis is a very solid shield, with Reprisal and Palisade to bounce back and fourth between, you're gonna be sitting around a 60-80% block rate give or take depending on what you are fighting.

If you are using it in Voidwatch, you're going to have 5 MP recovery items to make up for the extra 25% MP from Ochains blocks that you wont see, you'll also have fanatics on 80% of the time, the 20% being when the HQ are terribly difficult to proc (wyvern breath, ect.)

People will *** and bark about how one is better then the other, having both, and having had Ochain long before my Aegis, I personally prefer Aegis over Ochain.

Only times I find myself using Ochain is when I do Einherjar T1-T3 runs for pulling the entire floor and holding it while DDs rape the mobs, and that's if none of the mobs cast some form of magic that could hurt, then it's straight back to Aegis, and the other time I use my Ochain is when lolcleaving in Abyssea.

That is some real useful info. Thinking I might sell my mule's cruor and get more and put it towards aegis for now and maybe later someday i'll do ochain if I feel like it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2012-02-20 13:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going for best overall, and like I said a few posts back I finish apoc tomorrow. Just looking to the future, i'm pretty burnt on abyssea atm and have wanted aegis a 1/3 of the time I wanted apoc. But now i'm going to npc all my cruor and post pone doing my mules wildfire because I don't really need it for the time being unless i'm really bored.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-02-27 06:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Might as well lock the thread... stupid discussions going on here....

Lets face it both shields have uses in one form or another, hence why I have started building aegis as I have ochain already. I love Ochain its just amazing but there are times I think... "really need an aegis for this"

Neither shield is better than the other, they are designed for 2 different purposes. If you want to be the best you will get both.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-02-27 06:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
If you want to be the best you will get both.change your job
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sambb
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-02-27 06:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Quote:
If you want to be the best you will get both.change your job

very productive well done...
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-02-27 07:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

im sorry if i am reposting sh#t.

But for person probably not able/care to get azdaja horns don so ochain is stuck at 85. is it still gonna have it nice blockrate

I'm building a pld for VW and planning on going almace85 ochain95 and aegis95 (Sorry not carrie pld)

So will ochain still be nice just at level85 ?
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-27 07:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't think Ochain got its "special" functions until 90.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-02-27 07:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know, Ochain doesn't get it's amazing block rate at 85. Also it's still a size 3 or something at this point.
By Quiznor 2012-02-27 07:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
I didn't think Ochain got its "special" functions until 90.

It doesnt.You need the 90 or higher to get the block rate.Otherwise its just an average crap shield with a 20% block rate at level 85
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8