First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-03 22:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Konvict said: »
Pallisade and Reprisal will significantly help Aegis block more then its normal 45-60% rate. If I did have an Ochain though, I would idle in that and quickly swap in Aegis for the mdt unless the mob used some nasty magical tp move or instant cast spell. Like people have mentioned, its all situational and depends on the mob.

Reprisal, no. Pallisade, maybe. Block caps are block caps.
By Quiznor 2011-10-03 22:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Im too lazy to find the post that said double digit nuke damage being a novelty post,just to quote it,but its actually true for the most part.I dont know if 99% of ochain PLDs are incapable of putting on an MDT set (like they ALL sound incapable of doing from any post in aegis/ochain threads) or if they're just abyssea PLDs than dont think they need it,but I've never got killed by a nuke unless my healers werent on the ball.One particular time comes to mind when I was tanking T4 VW sandy,I got hit by weakness,which is fine,still have 700hp (im a taru) shortly after (there was 2-3 melee hits in there before the spell) he followed up with a nuke,which only did 390~ish (shell V,not shellra + my MDT set which hits 50% with a shell V,not just 5/5 shellra V).Yes,I did die because on the following double attack,my ochain missed a block.But that was a good amount of time for me getting no cures,from being hit with weakness,taking a few hits,a nuke then another attack round with a missed block.

Now here is where you might argue "if you had aegis yo'd have taken 39 damage" which is true,but the fact is,thats not what killed me.Why? Because the unblocked hit did more damage than the nuke did,and even if I had aegis in the same situation (a shield that blocks considerably less on high level NMs),the physical attack would have killed me anyways,because if my ochain isnt gonna block it,lord knows the aegis wont.

tl:dr 50% still cuts it,87.5% isnt gonna make or break the job as the only way to play.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alcarin
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alcarin 2011-10-04 06:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Im too lazy to find the post that said double digit nuke damage being a novelty post,just to quote it,but its actually true for the most part.I dont know if 99% of ochain PLDs are incapable of putting on an MDT set (like they ALL sound incapable of doing from any post in aegis/ochain threads) or if they're just abyssea PLDs than dont think they need it,but I've never got killed by a nuke unless my healers werent on the ball.One particular time comes to mind when I was tanking T4 VW sandy,I got hit by weakness,which is fine,still have 700hp (im a taru) shortly after (there was 2-3 melee hits in there before the spell) he followed up with a nuke,which only did 390~ish (shell V,not shellra + my MDT set which hits 50% with a shell V,not just 5/5 shellra V).Yes,I did die because on the following double attack,my ochain missed a block.But that was a good amount of time for me getting no cures,from being hit with weakness,taking a few hits,a nuke then another attack round with a missed block.

Now here is where you might argue "if you had aegis yo'd have taken 39 damage" which is true,but the fact is,thats not what killed me.Why? Because the unblocked hit did more damage than the nuke did,and even if I had aegis in the same situation (a shield that blocks considerably less on high level NMs),the physical attack would have killed me anyways,because if my ochain isnt gonna block it,lord knows the aegis wont.

tl:dr 50% still cuts it,87.5% isnt gonna make or break the job as the only way to play.
I've solo tank Hahava with Aegis, w/o problem even with weakned ( because of tp move ) and cursed so had like 300 hp.. so all i can say it that... Aegis and Ochain both good shield but i preferer Aegis..
 Fenrir.Mesic
Server: Fenrir
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2011-10-04 07:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Xeca said: »
Aegis and Ochain Counter each other this debate will never be concluded the better shield is in the better player. You can suck and have ochain and ur still going to die and you can suck and have aegis and ur still going to die. your healers can also suck and have aegis or ochain in most cases ur goina die if you cant keep up.

Aegis Ochain / Ying Yang

O but its not hard to play this game. why are you making this debate about survival and a persons skill? its a debate about a shield vs a shield, i would think all of that goes without saying, or just really, isn't technically relevant. anyway.

how about this (the obvious). neither. cause it depends on the mob. or what the mobs doing (chainspell, vs hundred fists or a trip/double fast attacking mob). its situational like 50% of the stuff in this game. this is like arguing forks are better than spoons.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-10-04 08:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The answer is get both and swap to Aegis during spells/magical TP moves obviously.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alcarin
By Ragnarok.Alcarin 2011-10-04 08:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously what? .. Again with this swap? seriously.. stop. If you have Aegis don't need to swap ANYTHING.
By Luviax 2011-10-04 08:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Both Aegis and Ochain are useless, the game became so easy that if u got a decent skill a koenig shield and an Hauteclaire is more than enough to handle every NM.
[+]
 Sylph.Corv
Server: Sylph
user: Corv
By Sylph.Corv 2011-10-04 08:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't swap shields lol. Both of them are godly at what they do. Some people post here saying one is better than other don't even have paladin leveled or have both shields. Aegis used to be king of shields but now it 50 and 50 with Ochain since that what SE wanted, one to be magical other physical.

All new voidwatch NMs both shields have its use. Kaggen, ochain better since it mostly physical and that thing does amnesia alot or silence. Pil, Aegis win because of heavy magic and back tanking. First battle on Pil, I used Ochain get hit with magical TP move for 1000+ with 50% MDT. Also don't forget there alot of new Damage taken and PDT gears came out last update, so if you know how to utilized them with previous armors, even block rate of Aegis not as high as Ochain, amount of physical damage you take won't be that much.

If you have one and not other. There nothing really stop you from having both. Aegis only take 3-4 months to make as how dynamis is now a day. Ochain also only take 2-3 months to make at max. You guys need to stop argues which is better. This come from a guy having both shields.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-10-04 08:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If only there were a way to obtain both and use them as the situation applied...

Why the hell do we keep having these threads?
[+]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
Server: Phoenix
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-10-04 09:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

But but my shield is better right? Right?!

Well you just don't know what you're talking about then.
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
Server: Cerberus
user: marc4497
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2011-10-04 11:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

dual weild shields:

kthx
[+]
 Odin.Brocovich
Server: Odin
user: Brocovich
By Odin.Brocovich 2011-10-04 11:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What is better? Minervas Ring or Jelly Ring? Camparing Ochain with Aegis is stupid cause both are great shields for the things they were made for.
And please stop saying something like: "<insert shield here> is useless! bla bla"
Level PLD, tank something with any AH-shield, get Ochain or Aegis and tank the same mob again.
Think about it and post again. Thanks!
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-04 11:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said: »
Ochain Can't do this:

Aegis is obviously superior!

Ty for this one Gradd. I think this is where the Topic should've stopped xD
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-10-04 17:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Chill.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-10-04 17:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Corv said: »
You don't swap shields lol. Both of them are godly at what they do. Some people post here saying one is better than other don't even have paladin leveled or have both shields. Aegis used to be king of shields but now it 50 and 50 with Ochain since that what SE wanted, one to be magical other physical.

All new voidwatch NMs both shields have its use. Kaggen, ochain better since it mostly physical and that thing does amnesia alot or silence. Pil, Aegis win because of heavy magic and back tanking. First battle on Pil, I used Ochain get hit with magical TP move for 1000+ with 50% MDT. Also don't forget there alot of new Damage taken and PDT gears came out last update, so if you know how to utilized them with previous armors, even block rate of Aegis not as high as Ochain, amount of physical damage you take won't be that much.

If you have one and not other. There nothing really stop you from having both. Aegis only take 3-4 months to make as how dynamis is now a day. Ochain also only take 2-3 months to make at max. You guys need to stop argues which is better. This come from a guy having both shields.

Should get an Ochain must caster then 2-3 months.
By Entourage 2011-10-04 17:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said: »
Chill.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-04 17:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people post here saying one is better than other don't even have paladin leveled or have both shields.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Kizaru
user: fei
By Ragnarok.Kizaru 2011-10-04 17:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2011-10-07 15:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

both are nice for different situations but SE can raise Aegis block rate for the 99 version but they cant with ochains. Cant see them to be able to add much else to aegis other than more def and cant see them adding something completely new to it. Though it is SE so next update lv.99 PLD the only thing added? lol
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-10-07 15:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
both are nice for different situations but SE can raise Aegis block rate for the 99 version but they cant with ochains. Cant see them to be able to add much else to aegis other than more def and cant see them adding something completely new to it. Though it is SE so next update lv.99 PLD the only thing added? lol
Clearly they will only add shield bash damage bonus V.
[+]
 Bahamut.Paquerette
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Paquerette 2011-10-10 08:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

BorealisV2 said: »
People be maaaaaaaaaad.

Macro Aegis in for MDT. That is all.

+1
 Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs 2011-10-10 16:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Always thought Aegis should have a magic reflect or random chance of petrification.
 Shiva.Mohit
Server: Shiva
user: Mohit
By Shiva.Mohit 2011-10-11 14:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis only take 3-4 months to make as how dynamis is now a day.

How many coins you get a run? Is it really possible to get a relic that fast? (strictly from dynamis only)
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-10-11 17:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Mohit said: »
Aegis only take 3-4 months to make as how dynamis is now a day.
How many coins you get a run? Is it really possible to get a relic that fast? (strictly from dynamis only)
Depends on the zone, camp, job, and if you go solo or with a few friends to help you, and how often.

If you go everyday chances are it will take you no more than 10-12 months thats with bad luck, 5-6 could be pretty practical.

I think kannagi nin/dnc would be a fast farmer, not sure how bst measures up to that in kill speed(after procs) but its a strong choice to farm with aswell.
 Shiva.Mohit
Server: Shiva
user: Mohit
By Shiva.Mohit 2011-10-11 18:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a pretty generic answer. You would pick the zone that has the most potential. Same with job and camp. Not like it's hard to level any ideal job and get basic abyssea gear to include emp weapon.

How many coins can you pull in average?
What Camp/zone would be the most profitable?

On our server, the coins all sell for around 10k 10k 10k
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-10-11 18:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

3-4 months is actually more realistic then 7-9, altho.. I guess that depends on if you bring a THF or not, what jobs you are bringing to stagger mobs as.

I walk in with 3 friends, each dual boxing their own whm mule, one of which is a THF, myself and another go NIN/DNC, THF Aeolian Edge's to TH all the mobs that we stagger and we farm Buburimu.

As for camp that's something you're going to have to go out and explore on your own like the rest of us did.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8