Aegis + Burtgang Buff
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-09 17:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Easier and faster just to force her up and down, melee on the ground, nuke in the air.
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-05-09 17:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

are we srsly talking about how to fight tiamat now
[+]
 Sylph.Quiznor
Server: Sylph
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 17:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

yep,we fell into a time machine during the update
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
Server: Bismarck
user: subakyo
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 17:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Brew it!!!!

(trying to lighten the mood)
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 17:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

On a semi related topic,how do you handle your ochain building Kyo?
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-09 17:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fondue said:
are we srsly talking about how to fight tiamat now
movement speed is always relevant
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
Server: Bismarck
user: subakyo
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 17:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well...

I shout in PJ to see if i can kill T3's for people, procing everything and giving them all the drops, which kinda helps. But for the most part my static for empy's just camp the hell out of T2's and pray for convert.

A little over half way :) we do about 10 souls a day.

Gonna brew the hell out of the dragon >.>
 Asura.Redaske
Server: Asura
user: Redaske
By Asura.Redaske 2011-05-09 17:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not going to flame people for there opinions on which is better. Honestly both shields are tremendous with potential. However regardless of HOW good you are as PLD having either won't matter if your TEAM doesn't know how to do it's job. Granted in Abyssea many jobs can tank and PLD has pretty well become useless or near too it. Other jobs can spike out so much damage I don't care how good you are as a PLD you won't maintain hate. Even outside of Abyssea the damage spikes can be so rediculess that it's hard to control hate.

I'm a Career PLD myself. Almost completed with Aegis having started it long before Ochain ever came out and I've been working on Burtgang for some time now as well. I still have a long way to go for it however. I believe that a piece of gear doesn't make the player. I've seen players with both Excalibur and Aegis SUCK at PLD so hard that I could hold hate from them with my eyes closed. As an example I watched a PLD with both Excal and Aegis die to Simurgh while /nin WITH an RDM and a THF there. Even the THF died followed shortly by the RDM. That same Simurgh they CFH'd as they died so we had to wait till it was full and back to normal before myself PLD/NIN and my friend ALSO PLD/NIN preceded to destroy Simurgh taking very little damage in doing so. Neither of us had astonishing gear either.

My honest opinion of SE is that they need to give PLD a higher Enmity cap then any other job. Giving them the chance to maintain hate rather then just have it randomly bounce from melee to melee. And at the same time make the mobs tough enough that a PLD is required to tank them. Not all mobs would need it however it'd be nice to have PLD a viable tank again.

However TO EACH HIS OWN. Play how you feel is right and to what you feel is your abilities extent. Every person plays differently and should be respected for what they choose as there playstyle. Being a good player is know your job. Being a great player is know how to adapt to the people you play withs unique styles.
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2011-05-09 17:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said:
otherwise you sleep it on the ground cause it's easier for the pld to handle while it's in the air.

i cried a little ;; Obvious never saw (even Taru HP!) Excal Plds do 5k+ damage per floor mode and tank with no issue

kinda nice if back in the day you got a phone call at 4 am hearing screams "Tiamat has pop - come now!!!!!" you logged on at Timy to find you and like 3 other Blms who were stupid enough to pick up ...and you all looking at each other thinking the same - WTF did i pick up for this *** *** - then from out of no where pops an Excal Pld - it was like HEAVEN and at that very moment you knew your arse was seeing bed again SOON.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zantok
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Zantok 2011-05-09 17:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sense is not welcome here sir.
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 17:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
Well...

I shout in PJ to see if i can kill T3's for people, procing everything and giving them all the drops, which kinda helps. But for the most part my static for empy's just camp the hell out of T2's and pray for convert.

A little over half way :) we do about 10 souls a day.

Gonna brew the hell out of the dragon >.>

On Sylph the T2's are camped about 23 hours a day,usually by at least 2 groups,or one group that is noticably using a 3rd party tool and everyone else that has shown up has left out of frustration.I also have pretty bad luck most of the time with T2->3 upgrades too.Mostly going 1/8 or something.And T3's like to drop 1 soul for me most of the time ;-; Its nice to be able to shout and proc stuff and give the gear away,but that only works so much on sylph because the shout groupers tend to not be fun.And eventually it runs into 5 people wanting each item,some get mad and leave.Thats if you can even get them in the first place :(

You got a static though so I bet thats real nice ;-;
 Lakshmi.Zantok
By Lakshmi.Zantok 2011-05-09 17:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lemme get my swift belt.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2011-05-09 17:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh lets please stop trying to this into an Ochain vs Aegis topic ... its silly as both are going to be good

And ideally all serious Plds would have both as i believe they are situational anyway ...

and to suggest a Pld would "do better" with Ochain over Aegis soloing due to its MP return on blocks is - silly.

Group Hug - and let the testing begin on server up !
 Lakshmi.Zantok
By Lakshmi.Zantok 2011-05-09 17:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Izilder said:
yeh lets please stop trying to this into an Ochain vs Aegis topic ... its silly as both are going to be good

And ideally all serious Plds would have both as i believe they are situational anyway ...

and to suggest a Pld would last longer with Ochain soloing due to its MP return on blocks is - silly.

Group Hug - and let the testing begin on server up !

Aye, at the end of the day I'm normally just trolling when I post on here.

The gear isn't going to make you a better player. Aegis or Ochain you can find a way to make it the best, for you, and how you play.

End of story.
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2011-05-09 17:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zantok said:

The gear isn't going to make you a better player. Aegis or Ochain you can find a way to make it the best, for you, and how you play.

End of story.

Yeh on that note i think the persons own play-style will influence the shield choice (if you can only have one)
 Caitsith.Clockwork
Server: Caitsith
user: Dartanion
By Caitsith.Clockwork 2011-05-09 17:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

why not have both and use whichever of the two is needed most situationally? in the end, whoever had the luxury of obtaining an aegis first will have the upper hand because an ochain is just a stone throw away to obtain just like every other empyrean weapon. both are great shields. but a true paladin will have both. now to continue on my colorless souls when the servers come back on. ^^
 Alexander.Mastersquall
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Mastersquall 2011-05-09 17:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

While I do not disagree that Ochain is BETTER for tanking physical things, I definitely do not think that an aegis pld could not pick up an Almace and do the same thing. You may take slightly more damage and it may be slower but if an aegis pld cant hold 15+ mobs that hit for barely anything, I am pretty sure they suck cause I own neither and I easily did it while skilling up shield.

Regardless, I personally find Aegis to be the nicer shield after this update depending on the MDT cap increase; if an aegis pld got to 75% they would take half the damage from meteor etc, which is exponentially better than taking less "DoT" from mobs.

Also, just because Ochain does it better, Aegis pld's can still eat HF <.< dunno what the hell you're smoking.

Regardless, both shields are good; I own neither, and never plan to own either because I hate tanking on pld but Ochain owners need to quit dreaming that they smoke Aegis; plain and simple they really dont.

I have also noticed a lot of people arguing that before this update Aegis plds took as much damage from magic hits as other plds, and the truth is aegis plds could use more MDB slots or hp slots so they are less likely to get killed.

In all honesty, if your whm whines cause you are tanking 15 mobs with an aegis and taking more than 0 dmg, you should hit your whm and find another; not that much damage actually being done. This update makes aegis a much better piece than it used to be; and as every tank knows DoT means squat and its usually 1 hit KO's you need to worry about so in fights like that it will take the cake; fights where the block rate of ochain makes a difference dont exist; pld/war or pld/nin.

Also, lol @ochain making a pld equivalent to a dd. It's almace that makes them more of a DD and if you're out dd'ing a war, the war should be shot.
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
Server: Ragnarok
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2011-05-09 18:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I always dream about dual-wielding shields. ;-; And double bashing mobs faces...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2011-05-09 18:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zantok said:
My enjoyment from this entire Ochain Vs Aegis thing has been one thing.

PLD/NIN

I know that 90% of the people who argue Ochain is better have a Empy, weather it be a Ochain or not. For some reason empy owners like to jump on Aegis when talking about Aegies Vs Ochain.

Which brings a interesting point, it makes me believe that the 90% of you were not involved in end game before Abyssea, which is why you are so ignorant. You do realize that in a situation with a group of good players, like the old days, that a PLD/NIN with a good RDM keeping the mob enfeebled with him, can tank the ***out of anything without taking hits?

We're talking maybe a 25% hit rate out of the mobs hits during a given fight. I'll keep my Aegis, and I'll keep laughing at the Ochains who think Aegis can't out-perform them. At the end of the day a good PLD/NIN using a Aegis is MILES ahead of a Ochain PLD.

Unless, of course, you're a abyssea-made PLD. In which case, have fun with your Ochain.
Very well put Zantok!
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-05-09 18:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not taking hits, you may as well use a Sentinel Shield(if not capping haste already), a second sword, or /war + Ochain. If you're taking hits, Ochain is better.
 Phoenix.Gustavve
Server: Phoenix
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-05-10 08:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Any testing on Vit/Crit PvE dmg or MDT cap with lvl 90 aegis?
 Sylph.Naix
user: Naix
By Sylph.Naix 2011-05-10 08:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I was dicking around a little bit last night, I kind of skimmed through the thread and didn't see any testing posting so sorry if it was already covered.

With the level 80 shield (I couldn't bother my ls to help do dyna runs for a shield bash dmg increase....) I was reducing magic damage by 80%. The shield basically acts on its own in the equation (50% cap between shell/gear, then Aegis adds on top of that.) This was evidenced when I took off pieces of gear that would put me below that 50% number.

I had enough gear on that if aegis just flat out removed the cap, I would of been @ 95% reduced, but that wasn't the case.

I'm guessing that the level 90 Aegis would be -90% magic damage, so you'll still need to macro in some equipment (not much these days.) Off the top of my head, the af3+2 body, twilight torque, and then I have a minerva's ring which would cap out with shell 5 (or very close to.) If no twilight torque, there are still plenty of -magic damage taken options.

I'll run some tests maybe later today, but it looked like stacking on mdb gear after the fact didn't help much. 7 MDB gear provided an additional 1.1%~ reduced after the 80% from -taken gear. Seeing as I'm already around 75/80 inventory slots, I might dump the mdb pieces that aren't doubled up with other gear.

Sorry if this was posted before... just wanted to throw this out there before I go to work.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-05-10 08:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
If you're not taking hits, you may as well use a Sentinel Shield(if not capping haste already), a second sword, or /war + Ochain. If you're taking hits, Ochain is better.

Just get Aegis and Ochain and swap to Aegis during Spells and Magical TP moves, and back to Ochain for Physical stuff lol. Who says Invincible has to only be a 2 hour.
By haya 2011-05-10 08:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If it wasn't for the TP loss that wouldn't be a bad idea :)
 Sylph.Brytor
user: Brytor
By Sylph.Brytor 2011-05-10 10:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Did some real quick testing last night (about 20 nukes) in Brenner with a BLM nuking me. Started Naked, added Shellra 5, then Aegis, and then normal gear. Numbers for each nuke were constant on each test of same type for all nukes (used Water IV on Earth day). It looks like all 40% of the MDT- on the level 90 shield can break the 50% cap. Like all things the % is not a true % it's the /1024 numbers it looks like. With the gear I had on me at the time and the Shellra5 (not fully merited) I made it to 85.4% MDT- with gear from the base line naked tests.

The MNK that came with me D/Ced and did not get any quick tests on if the block rate was changed.

Need to spend a lot more time on this but very promising.
 Diabolos.Inuyushi
Server: Diabolos
user: Inuyushi
By Diabolos.Inuyushi 2011-05-10 10:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brytor said:
Did some real quick testing last night (about 20 nukes) in Brenner with a BLM nuking me. Started Naked, added Shellra 5, then Aegis, and then normal gear. Numbers for each nuke were constant on each test of same type for all nukes (used Water IV on Earth day). It looks like all 40% of the MDT- on the level 90 shield can break the 50% cap. Like all things the % is not a true % it's the /1024 numbers it looks like. With the gear I had on me at the time and the Shellra5 (not fully merited) I made it to 85.4% MDT- with gear from the base line naked tests.

The MNK that came with me D/Ced and did not get any quick tests on if the block rate was changed.

That's great to hear that Aegis is 50% cap + 40% from Shield. I wonder if having Aegis will allow you to hit 100% just because you have it or if Aegis is the only gear that can break the % cap.
By Quiznor 2011-05-10 10:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Inuyushi said:
Sylph.Brytor said:

That's great to hear that Aegis is 50% cap + 40% from Shield. I wonder if having Aegis will allow you to hit 100% just because you have it or if Aegis is the only gear that can break the % cap.

SE said in the update notes that Aegis is the only piece of gear that allows you to break the MDT cap,and Burtgang is the only piece of gear that allows you to break the PDT cap.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8