Game: FFXI
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 14:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Aeonknight said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Lakshmi.Konvict said:
Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
Damnit... I didn't want to have to go *** mode In my opinion, Almace + Ochain > Burtgang and Aegis.
I'm going to have to disagree there. Aegis PLDs will live longer and do their jobs better, end of story. What if Aegis PLDs can reach 90% MDT, they would be taking nothing for magical lol. Also with physical gear Aegis pld's don't take much. There is no debate here. Ochain PLDs are more vulnerable to magic obviously, only being able to reach 50% thats even if they have a MDT set.
because everyone is having so much trouble staying alive
This.

You're missing the entire point konvict. It's not about survivability or magic dmg reduction vs physical dmg reduction shields.

Ochain does something for PLD that Aegis cannot: makes it a competant DD on par if not better than MNK and/or NIN. You know, the jobs that have "replaced" us. MOAR MDT ON AEGIS~ is not the answer to this problem.

Hoping they dont adjust the Aegis block rate.Not for any selfish reason or anything,its just the defining factor about whats the 2 shields.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-09 14:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

To add to that, Atonement got pushed up to ~900 damage at 90 (with burtgang), so we should expect it to break 1k, and hopefully get up to near 12-1500 at 99. Not amazing, but add a few more JAs that lock hate, perhaps another WS to alternate with Atonement (between 300TP atonements to keep the OAT up), and it can be a pretty awesome combination.

You guys are acting like you have to pick between Ochain/Aegis/Almace/Burtgang though lol.

Last time I checked, I can swap between them as needed.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2011-05-09 14:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
Quote:
Also with physical gear Aegis pld's don't take much. There is no debate here. Ochain PLDs are more vulnerable to magic obviously, only being able to reach 50% thats even if they have a MDT set.

Physically, there is no comparison. Ochain > Aegis. That is fact.

Magically, you're correct. Aegis is a superior shield. But there are other factors implimented here.

How easy is it to cap MDT gear? like 200k on the AH?

PTD-? Af3+2 Pieces, Defending ring, much harder to come by things (at least they were, Lol Poppable KB)

Additionally, the choice of SJ will greatly adjust opinions too. Generally on very difficult NMs, it dosent matter how much damage you take, you want to blink the big tp moves.

I don't dissagree that taking 0 damage from a spell isn't amazing. That we'll have to see what SE decides to do with it.

I like Aegis. I like Ochain. I don't doubt the strengths or potentials of either, honestly.

Burtgang has issues, just for simple hate generation reasons. And i'll say, if you have Ochain, you don't really need Burtgang.

Idk how you pull off 3.5k vorpal blades. No one in my vent i just asked has ever produced one so high (without rare all triple attack procs and all hits critical).
I got D ring and all the +2 pld stuff to cap my PDT, i'm all set. It really depends yeah, at least Aegis is up to par with Ochain now in some aspects.
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
Server: Bismarck
user: subakyo
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 14:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You guys are acting like you have to pick between Ochain/Aegis/Almace/Burtgang though lol.

Last time I checked, I can swap between them as needed.

Well... i'm not that good :p

I finished Almace and About to complete Ochain...

But before i work on even more stuff for myself, i want to make sure my other LS members get some nice things too :).

I don't think i'll ever own Aegis or Burtgang...

so i guess if that makes me less of a paladin i understand x.x
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-05-09 15:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking from a White Mages perspective I would much rather my PLD taking no physical Damage whatsoever (Ochain) and only have to dump a cure VI on them when they are taking a nuke. There is no magical spell in the game that is so dangerous that its going to one shot a Tank.

The new Aegis buff is far from amazing :/

Ochain is still vastly superior to Aegis by miles.

SE try harder thx.
[+]
 Sylph.Quiznor
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 15:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Speaking from a White Mages perspective I would much rather my PLD taking no physical Damage whatsoever (Ochain) and only have to dump a cure VI on them when they are taking a nuke. There is no magical spell in the game that is so dangerous that its going to one shot a Tank.

SE try harder thx.

Death is a magical spell that can 1 shot a PLD easy :x

Speaking of which,I need my shadow ring ;-;
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-05-09 15:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Quiznor said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

SE try harder thx.

Death is a magical spell that can 1 shot a PLD easy :x

Speaking of which,I need my shadow ring ;-;

Touche, but also very easy to stun. Not impressed with this update at all.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2011-05-09 15:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Quiznor said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Speaking from a White Mages perspective I would much rather my PLD taking no physical Damage whatsoever (Ochain) and only have to dump a cure VI on them when they are taking a nuke. There is no magical spell in the game that is so dangerous that its going to one shot a Tank. The new Aegis buff is far from amazing :/ Ochain is still vastly superior to Aegis by miles. SE try harder thx.
Death is a magical spell that can 1 shot a PLD easy :x Speaking of which,I need my shadow ring ;-;
*** a Shadow Ring
Rock some Atma of the Einherjar <.<
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-09 15:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a nice buff, aegis that is, for those who already have it, but I think someone who is deciding to pick between the two are still going to go with ochain. Like a said, its a nice change, but not as game changing as some seem to make it out to be.
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 15:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Aeonknight said:
Sylph.Quiznor said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Speaking from a White Mages perspective I would much rather my PLD taking no physical Damage whatsoever (Ochain) and only have to dump a cure VI on them when they are taking a nuke. There is no magical spell in the game that is so dangerous that its going to one shot a Tank. The new Aegis buff is far from amazing :/ Ochain is still vastly superior to Aegis by miles. SE try harder thx.
Death is a magical spell that can 1 shot a PLD easy :x Speaking of which,I need my shadow ring ;-;
*** a Shadow Ring

brb using Atma of the Einherjar in Dynamis Windurst when pulling the boss......wait....oh....
[+]
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 15:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Is dynamis hard again!?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-09 15:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
*** a Shadow Ring
Better idea, don't waste an atma slot.

Agree with Gradd, it's nice for Aegis owners but I think Ochain still takes the cake.
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2011-05-09 15:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess the <.< wasn't a good enough indicator of sarcasm.
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 15:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
Is dynamis hard again!?

Where/when isnt the point.

The fact is that the spell is there where the atma isnt.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-09 15:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont even know why this is a topic to discuss, lol. Not like Aegis is going to help block Death.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-09 15:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

SE try harder thx.

AV's Meteor would like a word with you (as would CS Aeroga4).

Astral Flow also would like a word.

Fulmination says hi.

His friend Nerve gas shakes his fist as well for being left off the list (the move that kept taking out the Ochain Pld we had on it last time, though only occasionally when it would turn too fast and use back to back).

Citidal Buster (for what it's worth lol) /waves to everyone.

Pretty much every move in the game that had the chance to really hurt people/alliances is solved via high lvls of Magic Damage Negation. The other few serious *** (??? needles) aren't fixed by Ochain either.

Melee damage was never really a problem on any end game NM, anywhere. It's the stupid Magic Based AoE/WSs that were always the trouble.

Or are you guys somehow having a problem taking too much melee damage? My *** whm can straight tank half the ***in this game, it's the special abilities/magic that costs lives.
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 15:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I dont even know why this is a topic to discuss, lol. Not like Aegis is going to help block Death.

Thank you for saying that lol.

Quote:

Fulmination says hi.

His friend Nerve gas shakes his fist as well for being left off the list (the move that kept taking out the Ochain Pld we had on it last time, though only occasionally when it would turn too fast and use back to back).

Melee damage was never really a problem on any end game NM, anywhere. It's the stupid Magic Based AoE/WSs that were always the trouble.

Or are you guys somehow having a problem taking too much melee damage? My *** whm can straight tank half the ***in this game, it's the special abilities/magic that costs lives.]

Hundred Fists says Hello
Meikyo shisui says yo
Mighty Strikes says "nice to meet cha!"

On top of that, there are bar-spells and carols for incredibly difficult aoe magic spells.

Is there AoE-phsyical bar?

I guess phalanx...

And let's not forget the tyrant bubbly bernie...

srsly...
[+]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-05-09 15:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

About time

Edit: @ Neo's post
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-05-09 15:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

SE try harder thx.

Fulmination says hi.

Pretty much every move in the game that had the chance to really hurt people/alliances is solved via high lvls of Magic Damage Negation. The other few serious *** (??? needles) aren't fixed by Ochain either.

Or are you guys somehow having a problem taking too much melee damage? My *** whm can straight tank half the ***in this game, it's the special abilities/magic that costs lives.

I survive Astral Flow all the time from varying NMs without even getting my MDT on in time.And I'm a taru

Edit: this isnt a "my pld is better than yours!" contest
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-05-09 15:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

/offtopic
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2011-05-09 15:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Speaking from a White Mages perspective I decided to just STFU

Fixed.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-05-09 15:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

SE try harder thx.

Fulmination says hi.

AV is considered a threat? I thought we Alexander Zerged that now? Pretty sure PLD isnt considered a part of that setup~

Astral flow is only dangerous in dynamis if your group sucks, and guess what you dont bring a PLD there either.

I'd rather have a MNK tanking a Khim when it comes to Fulm, and its not that hard to stun.

Citadel Buster? Ive tanked Ultima hundreds of times, never been one shotted even on lights day. A good MDT set always made it cake.

Trust me I like PLD I mained it for years, but I think Aegis deserves a MUCH higher buff than this, SE has failed once again. Aegis deserves to be superior to Ochain but its not.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-09 15:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Quiznor said:
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

SE try harder thx.

Fulmination says hi.

I survive Astral Flow all the time from varying NMs without even getting my MDT on in time.And I'm a taru

Edit: this isnt a "my pld is better than yours!" contest

I was arguing against the ridiculous "magic never hurts" statement the guy made, when magic AoE was pretty much the only thing that hurt in big fights.

As for his list of HF, Mighty Strikes, Etc: None of these were ever challenging to deal with (especially after the Sentinel Buff). The only "physical" thing that can still lvl a decent Pld (or any melee) is an Eagle Eye Shot (if you're not in the right gear set).

Don't be confused, I'm not arguing the utility of Pld over other jobs, or that Aegis is better than Ochain, I'm simply saying people's assessment of "melee being dangerous" is an exaggeration. If you were dying to Mighty Strikes/HF/etc, you were doing it wrong.

However I will say Ochain kicks the ***out of Aegis on mass crowd control (10-15 things hitting you at once).

Fenrir.Gradd said:

AV is considered a threat? I thought we Alexander Zerged that now? Pretty sure PLD isnt considered a part of that setup~

Astral flow is only dangerous in dynamis if your group sucks, and guess what you dont bring a PLD there either.

I'd rather have a MNK tanking a Khim when it comes to Fulm, and its not that hard to stun.

Citadel Buster? Ive tanked Ultima hundreds of times, never been one shotted even on lights day. A good MDT set always made it cake.

Trust me I like PLD I mained it for years, but I think Aegis deserves a MUCH higher buff than this, SE has failed once again. Aegis deserves to be superior to Ochain but its not.

AV is zerged because people still can't get past Meteor without PD. This may or may not change that.

Astral Flow happens, and is an example, one of about 300 in game things that (if goes off) can cause a lot of pain. Stop pretending it's any more rare than being caught off guard with Hundred Fists/etc. Also, if you've ever eating 9 Astral Flows from Pandemonium Warden, you wouldn't be saying that.

Citadel Buster: Again, just an example of "the most damaging aspect of a fight being magic", even if it's laughable to someone prepared.

As for your "use other tanks on other things", you're still missing the point, shall I slow it down for you?
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 15:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
As for his list of HF

i r chica though ; ;
 Carbuncle.Yeva
user: yvonne
By Carbuncle.Yeva 2011-05-09 15:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
Quote:

Idk how you pull off 3.5k vorpal blades. No one in my vent i just asked has ever produced one so high (without rare all triple attack procs and all hits critical).

It's possible, but like you said, very f'n rare. I'd rather see SS(s) of the guy who claims to do this on a regular basis. It's just not possible without spikes from Atmas.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-09 15:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
Quote:
As for his list of HF

i r chica though ; ;

No girls on the internet, etc.
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-05-09 15:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yall just pissed i look better getting beat the hell out of huh?
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-09 15:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I have sex with my wife daily and she's played FFXI for several years now. I still don't believe that there are women on the internet.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-05-09 15:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:
I have sex with my wife daily and she's played FFXI for several years now. I still don't believe that there are women on the internet.

was this some sort of confession of homosexuality?
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2011-05-09 16:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:

ITs A TARP!

no serious - use Ochain when you want to go pure block and aegis for Kitting or NMs like Rani where (when not brewed at 50 % ...) his constant magic's are most probably more of a pain than his physical hits anyway - situational is situational - Im glad the relics got something on the way to look forward to.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8