On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (v3)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (v3)
On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (v3)
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 22 23 24
By Nariont 2022-07-04 15:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiehna said: »
with the chatoyant staff being non iLvl, isn't that an issue for you guys with tougher endgame content? Since it drops you to ilvl 109 every time you swap to a cure potency set, which is gonna be constantly on WHM.

It's not an issue as whm, and several other healers don't use it anymore. you can look through various sets in this thread and its primarily queller rod, raetic+1 or su4/5 based on need.

weather bonus' happen regardless of gear you have equipped, obi's just garuntee they happen if weather/day matches up
[+]
 Asura.Shiehna
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-07-04 16:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
It's not an issue as whm, and several other healers don't use it anymore. you can look through various sets in this thread and its primarily queller rod, raetic+1 or su4/5 based on need.

weather bonus' happen regardless of gear you have equipped, obi's just garuntee they happen if weather/day matches up
Thank you for the info, yeah I was mainly wondering cause I saw in the WHM job guides on here and BGwiki were still listing chatoyant as main cure set equip. I noticed a few posts in this thread with people still using it as well, but also others with the queller/raetic/su5. Like on my SMN I would never swap to chatoyant for cure set with how squishy that job is even more than WHM. Plus when I do finally get my Nirvana I'm keeping that and grip locked for AM3, aside from magical blood pacts.

But when you say it's not an issue for WHM, do you mean people aren't using chatoyant much anymore, or they do use it and don't end up dying from AOE's and adds attacking you etc? Oh okay thank you I appreciate the info, I'll keep using the hachi obi then. I was hoping the light storm cure weather bonus still happened without the staff, but just wanted to confirm.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-07-04 16:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I do have chatoyant and hachirin obi, and I've been using those in my cure set up to this point on WHM. But I've only done like exp/JP grinding and easier content on my WHM so far like Ambu and such. Wouldn't dropping down to 109 constantly during stuff like Omen/Dyna-D/Odyssey be a huge problem for staying alive even with a full DT set? I don't see how you guys get around that, as I'm sure WHM is still getting hit by strong AOE attacks in the tougher endgame content.
Being 109 due to using a lower level weapon doesn't make you squishier. The only non-cosmetic thing that item level directly affects is trust strength.
[+]
 Asura.Shiehna
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-07-04 16:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Being 109 due to using a lower level weapon doesn't make you squishier. The only non-cosmetic thing that item level directly affects is trust strength.
Really??? That's something I haven't ever been aware of. I was under the impression that it's a huge problem swapping to under 119 gear for endgame content. As I've read the wiki guides for stuff like Escha Kirin/Koryu saying don't idle in gear that isn't 119 cause of AOE's killing the mages and such.

Doesn't dropping to lower ilvl lower your max HP/MP and your base stats like VIT/MND etc? Yeah definitely understand about the trusts, but for endgame parties they wouldn't matter too much. I'm mainly worried about it for my own char getting killed from a bad AOE while cure set swapping with the chatoyant staff.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2022-07-04 17:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they affect none of that. You can just look at your base stats when you change your item level. People say that about armor, but that's because of the actual stats on them being lower for non-ilvl and making you squishy, not because your numeric item level goes down. That doesn't matter for weapons (outside of a select few like Epeolatry) because they rarely have significant defensive stats on them.

Example of the defensive disparity for armor:

Masasa Chasuble (non-ilvl body):
45 DEF
13 MND

Theophany Briault +3 (average durability 119 body):
145 DEF
91 HP
31 VIT
31 AGI
39 INT
39 MND
61 Evasion
100 Magic Evasion
8 Magic Defense Bonus

Nyame Mail (high durability 119 body):
189 DEF
136 HP
35 VIT
33 AGI
42 INT
37 MND
102 Evasion
139 Magic Evasion
8 Magic Defense Bonus
-9% Damage Taken
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-04 19:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
with the chatoyant staff being non iLvl, isn't that an issue for you guys with tougher endgame content? Since it drops you to ilvl 109 every time you swap to a cure potency set, which is gonna be constantly on WHM.

weather bonus' happen regardless of gear you have equipped, obi's just guarantee they happen if weather/day matches up

I see more sets with weather staff than Qrod
Qrod is the inferior of the 3 options
I woulden't waste my inventory on it, and in i have 6 different cures sets and 4 different idle sets

Thank you for the info, yeah I was mainly wondering cause I saw in the WHM job guides on here and BGwiki were still listing chatoyant as main cure set equip. I noticed a few posts in this thread with people still using it as well, but also others with the queller/raetic/su5. Like on my SMN I would never swap to chatoyant for cure set with how squishy that job is even more than WHM. Plus when I do finally get my Nirvana I'm keeping that and grip locked for AM3, aside from magical blood pacts.

But when you say it's not an issue for WHM, do you mean people aren't using chatoyant much anymore, or they do use it and don't end up dying from AOE's and adds attacking you etc? Oh okay thank you I appreciate the info, I'll keep using the hachi obi then. I was hoping the light storm cure weather bonus still happened without the staff, but just wanted to confirm.

Weather staff is still a powerfull option and your 2nd strongest cures main slot item after raetic +1 but with none of the additional mp cost

There is no issues to worry about it not being ilevel unless for trust

The only reason for Qrod if for situations you cant maintain weather ( like oddy) and that you dont have the gild for raetic +1 (or just have other priorities)
but in this case your netgain is around 2% cure potency2 as all other stats are capped anyway. So not much difference comprare to just going empty handed.

and if you are worried about being squishy (Which the Qrod over weather staff doesnt really touch on anyway) you should have ton of slots in you cure set that is for secondary stats so they can easily be replaced with defensive items
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-04 20:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Really??? That's something I haven't ever been aware of. I was under the impression that it's a huge problem swapping to under 119 gear for endgame content. As I've read the wiki guides for stuff like Escha Kirin/Koryu saying don't idle in gear that isn't 119 cause of AOE's killing the mages and such.

Doesn't dropping to lower ilvl lower your max HP/MP and your base stats like VIT/MND etc? Yeah definitely understand about the trusts, but for endgame parties they wouldn't matter too much. I'm mainly worried about it for my own char getting killed from a bad AOE while cure set swapping with the chatoyant staff.

Its not that you are swapping into non ilvlv gear. but that non ilevel gear does in genreal not have great stats. is a rule of thumb not a specific Ilvl mechanic
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-04 20:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current Cure Potency set:
ItemSet 385365

you have 63 to 67 curepotency alone that is way over he cap of 50 so why are you using curepotenc item in your sub and ears ? those are uselss

- Removoe homiliary and get a Pemphredo Tathlum insstead
- you should not be using kaykus cuffs but i assume this is a stand in until you get proper gloves
- hoaomas ring does nothing for your cures
- The reason you want kaykus head is for the cure potency 2. which is not on NQ.

ItemSet 377736
you can replace rod with you qrod in this set
youo can replace magnetic earring with the cure earring if you cant afford the neck
or put CP on cape
If you dont have janniston ring you vcan use the loop instead.

for weather set this is kinda what you want
ItemSet 365112

both sets are for afflatus solace boost so making the needed adjustments when you dont have afflatus solace cureskin
[+]
 Asura.Shiehna
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-07-04 21:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they affect none of that. You can just look at your base stats when you change your item level. People say that about armor, but that's because of the actual stats on them being lower for non-ilvl and making you squishy, not because your numeric item level goes down. That doesn't matter for weapons (outside of a select few like Epeolatry) because they rarely have significant defensive stats on them.
DaneBlood said: »
Weather staff is still a powerfull option and your 2nd strongest cures main slot item after raetic +1 but with none of the additional mp cost

There is no issues to worry about it not being ilevel unless for trust
Its not that you are swapping into non ilvlv gear. but that non ilevel gear does in genreal not have great stats. is a rule of thumb not a specific Ilvl mechanic
Ahh okay thank you guys for clarifying that for me. I was just under the wrong impression about how ilvl works for stats. Especially in regard to the weapon slots, I see what you mean now. I was just assuming since it was that way for armors that it would also affect your stats with the weapon slot as well. So swapping to Chatoyant staff for cures shouldn't be a problem then in endgame content.

I never swap to non ilvl weapons on any my other ilvl 119 jobs so it was a bit strange for me at first. I just want to clarify though that I was never using queller rod for cure set until now, because of the concern with ilvl 109 in end game content. I mainly got queller rod for my WHM refresh/idle set. I've only used my WHM up to this point in exp/JP grinding and easy endgame stuff like ambu. Never done any actual tough endgame content on the job yet.

I've had chatoyant staff for my SMN and hachirin obi since way back in the day, so I've been using those for my WHM cure set on easier content. But based on what you guys are saying it should be safe to keep the staff on for harder content as well, so I'll continue to use it then.
The only reason for rod if for situions you cant maintain weather ( like oddy)
I was wondering when you said about not maintaining weather in Odyssey, is there a reason you can't use light storm weather there? I know Ody has dark weather, but light storm gives you that weather affect all the time right? Or do zone weathers prevent the SCH storm spells from working properly?
 Asura.Shiehna
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-07-04 22:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

you have 63 to 67 curepotency alone that is way over he cap of 50 so why are you using curepotenc item in your sub and ears ? those are uselss

- Removoe homiliary and get a Pemphredo Tathlum insstead
- you should not be using kaykus cuffs but i assume this is a stand in until you get proper gloves
- hoaomas ring does nothing for your cures
- The reason you want kaykus head is for the cure potency 2. which is not on NQ.
Thank you for all the info and advice, I really appreciate it! I went ahead and edited my cure set based on your info and the gear I do have available currently. Also with the other posts about Chatoyant staff being okay to use in tougher endgame content.
ItemSet 385365
Yes I realize that set was over the 50% cure cap. I was using some of that gear for reducing cure casting time since those armors had that stat on them as well. So the thing is, WHM isn't my main or a top priority job for me. So I can't really justify dropping the more expensive gil purchases on the raetic +1 and cleric's +2 neck. I have the cleric's +1 neck, that's still close to the +2 stat wise. I will go back to using my Chatoyant staff for cure set instead of a rod weapon.

My 4 jobs I currently have at 119 atm are in this priority order for me: SMN 1rst (my main/career job), WAR 2nd, THF 3rd, WHM 4th. I'm in the process atm of saving up for the alexandrite and beitetsu for the Nirvana for my SMN. So bigger purchases on other jobs I'm holding off on for the time being till I get that done. Maybe after that I could save up for the jinxed items for the Kaykaus +1 head/boots. I also don't have the Janniston ring cause I picked the Karieyh ring for some of my other current/future jobs I plan on leveling eventually.

Yeah I'm currently using Kaykaus cuffs as a stand in for the Theo WHM Artifact +2/3 gloves. I usually do Omen on my THF or WAR, have yet to bring WHM to Omen so I don't really have any WHM paragon cards to get the Theo gloves atm. I also don't have an endgame LS cause of real life obligations so I'm mainly doing content either solo with trusts or in PUG groups. I joined PUG card farm parties back in like 2018/19 for my SMN cards, but I haven't seen many people doing card farm parties anymore. I do have the Nyame set and Maxentius, so I'm thinking maybe I could do some solo card farming as WHM with trusts.

I'll see if I can join a group to get pemphredo tath, I don't have it atm so in the mean time would impatiens be a good ammo replacement? Also I read on BGwiki that healing magic increases cure potency, is that not true? If so I'll go ahead and replace that in my cure set. I'll use Naji loop for other ring once I do the VR missions for that. Haven't gotten around to those yet lol been busy with other stuff in game and real life. I'll just use lebeche ring until then. After I edited the set, it now has 55% cure potency. Once I switch to Naji loop it'll be 53% so that should be good.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-04 22:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just fyi it late enough for me not being able to read fully so bear with me if im missing something

"WHM isn't my main or a top priority job for me. So I can't really justify dropping the more expensive gil purchases on the raetic +1 and cleric's +2 "
That absolutely fair

I am concidering making a Budget based BiS cure set sections for my guide.
but I wanted to show a quick alternative that i ussual recomende as a strong stepping stone for new WHM (you have already passed this set)

ItemSet 360041
nothing to expensive no need for dyna clears. still need obi though
This is not meant as a BiS set but as a easy and cheap to acquire
I should probably remove janiston ring from the set but i can be replace with naji loop or mehiptas +1, f you are not afraid of the HP drop ( its a fair point but i personally dont have an issue with it)

any i wanted to say that it has some alternative to use until you can get the stuff from the other set like a conMP3 cheap ammo slot until pemphredo

--- edit ---
also to the weather set i first show i forgot to show the augments
Head: C) MP+80, SIRD-12% CureCastTime-7%
Boots: D) M.Acc.+20, CurePotency+6% FastCast+4%
Cape: Haste+10 but Fastcast is almost as good

head is not that important but SIRD 12% is better than nothing for this case but feel free to augment for something else for multipurpose

boots D is a must as this also becomes your fastcast boots saving inventory later

Cape im kinda thinking personally to change to PDT just for a bit of protection. it also reduce the number of ambuscade capes to 1 for WHM (just line it up with MND meva and PDT). But Fastcast/haste can be used if you worry about recast time
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2022-07-05 07:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering when you said about not maintaining weather in Odyssey, is there a reason you can't use light storm weather there? I know Ody has dark weather, but light storm gives you that weather affect all the time right? Or do zone weathers prevent the SCH storm spells from working properly?
They were specifically talking about Gaol, which restricts subjobs, so you only get weather if there's a main job SCH in party.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-05 14:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to do some FFXI science

What would be some easy and good mobs to test enffebling hitrate naked except for day break ?

im trying to redo the japanese testing that show that 1 macc skill on weapons = 1 macc
 Asura.Shiehna
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-07-09 17:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

They were specifically talking about Gaol, which restricts subjobs, so you only get weather if there's a main job SCH in party.
Ahh okay, derp my bad lol I totally overlooked the Gaol subjob restriction. Since there's a good chance we wouldn't have a SCH main in party, I'll just switch to queller rod if I happen to get into any Gaol NM parties on WHM. I did a couple Sheol C segment runs on WHM for the first time this past week. They went pretty good, the first one was a bit messy cause I needed to fix my cure/curaga macros.

I use "<stal>" for healing and buff spells on SMN and RDM since I'm usually using trusts on those jobs, and you can't select spell targets with "<t>" when you are engaged/meleeing to make trusts do stuff. But on WHM with an actual player party using "<stal>" or "<stpc>" is awful for trying to be quick enough on cures, cause of the delay and sometimes the macro messes up entirely and doesn't even do the cure spell. So I switched my WHM cure/buff macros to "<t>" like back in the day before trusts were a thing. That worked out much better for keeping up with buffs and especially for healing.
I am concidering making a Budget based BiS cure set sections for my guide.
but I wanted to show a quick alternative that i ussual recomende as a strong stepping stone for new WHM (you have already passed this set)
Thank you for adding this set on here! I went ahead and updated my Cure set with the Clarus stone. I had one sitting on a mule so that worked out pretty good lol. That will definitely be a good stand in till I could get the pemphredo tath. I also have the Vanya set for my SMN cure potency swap since that job doesn't have access to Kaykaus like WHM/RDM/SCH do. But yeah that WHM Cure set is pretty good for newer and returning players. I hope that will help a lot of other people who aren't WHM experts to get their bearings starting out.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2022-07-11 13:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

im trying to redo the japanese testing that show that 1 macc skill on weapons = 1 macc
https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/112776-Dev-Tracker-Findings-Posts-(NO-DISCUSSION)?p=6713767&viewfull=1#post6713767

Apparently straight from SE:

Weapon Skill +242: Attack +195, Accuracy +195
Weapon Skill +269: Attack +216, Accuracy +216

Magic Accuracy Skill +228: Magic Accuracy +115
Magic Accuracy Skill +242: Magic Accuracy +122
Magic Accuracy Skill +255: Magic Accuracy +128
Magic Accuracy Skill +269: Magic Accuracy +135

They also note that these may vary a bit in practice, but the general rule appears to be 2 macc skill = roughly 1 macc.
By Chimerawizard 2022-07-11 13:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
BG:Dev Tracker Findings Posts(NO DISCUSSION)

They also note that these may vary a bit in practice, but the general rule appears to be 2 macc skill = roughly 1 macc.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2022-07-11 14:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

SE did say that, but a JP player did extensive testing that pretty conclusively proved those values as wrong. It's not the first time one of their mechanic reveals has been incorrect.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-14 09:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/112776-Dev-Tracker-Findings-Posts-(NO-DISCUSSION)?p=6713767&viewfull=1#post6713767

and we have Japanese testing and words for Matsui that this is wrong. and its appears to be 1:1 ratio
Taking into the fact that ilevel weapon description got changed from when they originally got released for transparency on Macc and other stats its plausible that there is a misunderstanding going on.

BG wiki is also showing fastcast 8 is possible with standard stones on grio staff, but so far nobody has been able to confirm that in multiple post for verification. So sometimes you need to think critically and go with empirical testing rather than "He says so".

Science is to test/verify/add knowledge into the common knowledge base. Not just repeat others data

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2022-07-14 13:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Stayfresh said: »
When someone who actually makes the game tells us some stats, we shouldn’t have to doubt that and go test it. That is pretty lame on SE part.

Lame? Yes.

But, taking the time to do testing to double check that items and equipment are working as intended is actually a good practice.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-16 17:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

When someone who actually makes the game tells us some stats, we shouldn’t have to doubt that and go test it. That is pretty lame on SE part.

S.E. has given us 2 different explanations on 2 different times. as started in multiple posts.

you are entitled to have you opining on it being lame but that does not really impact any factual situations on whatever which explanations is to be trusted

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By DaneBlood 2022-07-16 18:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol no it doesn’t have any impact. But it doesn’t mean it isn’t stupid that we can’t believe what the people who actually made the game tell us.

I never said there was anything wrong with testing anything.

I totally agree on this. the game is riddled with miss- translation/labeling and other inconsistencies or secret mechanics, but it has been that way for a long time.

but on the other hand it does make it fun to go out and test things if you are into that ;).

But we really shouldn't need to
By DaneBlood 2022-07-18 10:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

apparently I just cant get enough cure sets.

Since cure 1-2 are 100% free from empy legs alone (cure 1 even with raetic rod +1), I am looking into redoing my cure sets with no ConMP for low tier Cures

This is my current Curesets (weather+solace) for when MP is high
ItemSet 377736

Changes I could think of
- Replace conMP ring with the Loop for 1CP2 and 1FC
- conmp earring into ???
- Shield could stay due to haste effect or replace with ???
- ammo slot replaced with ???
By Flatliner 2022-07-21 11:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

New White Mage here and I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the cure cap talk. I have two big questions: 1. How much of a difference is Iridal Staff Vs Chatoyant Staff? And Second is how much do those two staffs add towards the Cure Potency Cap? I'm noticing a lot of sets with those staffs have less than 40% of cure potency in other slots
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
Server: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2022-07-21 12:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Perfect name for a White Mage though.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-07-21 12:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Chatoyant and Iridal are essentially the same. I think Chatoyant might have slightly more stats on it, but in terms of Cure Potency they are the same.

Chatoyant/Iridal have +10% CP, so you only need 40 in other slots to cap that term.

The "Iridescence" bonus is a bonus to the multiplier you get from having the appropriate weather effect (Light). It's a +0.1 bonus to the weather effect bonus. day is also +0.1, single weather is +0.1, and double weather is +0.25. That term caps at +0.4.
 Bahamut.Kacil
Server: Bahamut
user: Kacil
By Bahamut.Kacil 2022-07-21 13:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

How can I skill up healing and enhancing magic. Just hit 99 and I'm at around 160. Do I really just need to eat skill up food and spam cure or protect?
By Nariont 2022-07-21 13:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

pop a trust and spam pro/shell, easy skill ups there, for healing find an undead and cure bomb for easy skill ups
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-07-21 13:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

for all skills you can:
  • buy skillup books from sparks npc or ah

• spam the spell on yourself

• spam the spell on an NPC or mob

The third option is really good generally for skilling up. If you have a fellow, that works. I think trusts count here too. For healing magic, undead allow you to skill up fairly fast.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 22 23 24