What Is "Elitism"?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What is "Elitism"?
What is "Elitism"?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-04-11 20:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Shiva.Phioness said: »
One is a former resident of Shiva that at one point ranted about people buying Relic currency who "Didn't deserve a relic and needed to leave the currency to those who did"

I was a 19-20 year old basement dweller.

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with both of you on this one.

lady was kind of a jerk on shiva... And he seems so much nicer now that I thought he sold his character.

so if it's possible to graduate from elitism, then congratulations...on becomming so elite that you're not an elitist any more? or soemthing...

Basically every time I quit the game I come back more casual. But I still have the desire to be as good as I can be. So every break makes me slightly less of the bad form of elitist.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-04-11 21:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
Elitsm is Being Able TO Bicep Curl 2 Jugs of Milk . And Then Chugging Them Back to Back.
And replacing those with Soy sauce jugs is to go even further beyond elite to ascended elite
By Squabble 2018-04-13 10:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
So, what is the ffxi define of "Elitism"?

I feel like the current definition of elitism is a group of underwhelming players calling out others for being superior to them.

To truly be elite is more of a benchmark assuming you're in a position to learn and are competent to change for the better. You're not elite until you have at least:

1) BRD or GEO
2) PLD or RUN
3) DRK or WAR or DRG
4) THF or BLU
5) WHM
6) COR or RNG
7) BLM or SCH
8) SMN

All mastered with appropriate gear and at least Honor March on BRD or 900 skill and Dunna for GEO, an Aegis for PLD or Epeo for RUN, a REMA for DRK, WAR or DRG, a REMA if you chose BLU or RNG over their counterparts in the above list. Should have the goal of being able to fit into any party dynamic (especially whatever the meta is at the time) and striving to get HQ/REMA everything.

Anything short of that is either "elite in progress" or "that's too much for me to handle, I'll be terrible over here instead".
By fonewear 2018-04-13 11:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even 20 pages and you think you are elite...scoff !
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 11:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't confuse competency and usefulness with elitism please.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-04-13 11:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Squabble said: »

I feel like the current definition of elitism is a group of underwhelming players calling out others for being superior to them.

To truly be elite is more of a benchmark assuming you're in a position to learn and are competent to change for the better. You're not elite until you have at least:

1) BRD or GEO
2) PLD or RUN
3) DRK or WAR or DRG
4) THF or BLU
5) WHM
6) COR or RNG
7) BLM or SCH
8) SMN

A-1 Supreme: MNK

Mastered with appropriate gear and a REMA. Should have the goal of being able to fit into any party dynamic (especially whatever the meta is at the time) and striving to get HQ/REMA everything.

Anything short of that is either "a better use of time and inventory" or "Boost".
By Foxfire 2018-04-13 11:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao @ "i'll be terrible" just because you don't have everything whiteboxed

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2018-04-13 11:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

1) BRD or GEO
2) PLD or RUN
3) DRK or WAR or DRG
4) THF or BLU
5) WHM
6) COR or RNG
7) BLM or SCH
8) SMN

All mastered with appropriate gear and at least Honor March on BRD or 900 skill and Dunna for GEO, an Aegis for PLD or Epeo for RUN, a REMA for DRK, WAR or DRG, a REMA if you chose BLU or RNG over their counterparts in the above list. Should have the goal of being able to fit into any party dynamic (especially whatever the meta is at the time) and striving to get HQ/REMA everything.

Anything short of that is either "elite in progress" or "that's too much for me to handle, I'll be terrible over here instead".

That's not elite, that's job/gears discrimination, lol. Or rather, YOUR definition of elite.

Elite means you can do something others struggle to do.

Winning every single parse on DD, that's elite. Even if you only have 1 DD job geared. There's no point to gear WAR AND THF since they mostly shares same job role.

Getting world first clear for aeonics, PW2, master trials, that's elite. And the group that have done them didn't even have 8 jobs at top end.

Have 8 mastered jobs with hq and rema gears is just convenience, that's it.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-04-13 11:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
There's no point to gear WAR AND THF since they mostly shares same job role.

Not disagreeing with your general message, but, I just wanted to point out, a WAR is not asked to /BLM or /BRD and suck it up in new Dynamis. A geared WAR gets to DD. A geared THF can certainly DD, better now than it probably ever could (even after the adjustment forward, then back, new gear it has received has pushed its WS damage to the moon), but it is extremely vulnerable to being relegated to TH onry.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 11:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Foxfire said: »
The new elite is pissboxing artifact and relic sets. I should know. I just finished relic.
 Bismarck.Gippali
Server: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2018-04-13 11:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Judging by the way 90% of this sites threads go now, I'm glad a "friend" logged on and dropped all my ***.

This is stupid and you all should feel bad.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 11:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Gippali said: »
Judging by the way 90% of this sites threads go now, I'm glad a "friend" logged on and dropped all my ***.

None of us feel shame, we play ffxi.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 11:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Asura.Frod said: »

FFXI, TF2, DDLC, Skyrim...
What the *** is ddlc?
By clearlyamule 2018-04-13 11:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What the *** is ddlc?
The Monika game

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 12:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

That crapass animu cyoa/dating game? Complete garbage is what it is.
[+]
By Squabble 2018-04-13 12:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Foxfire said: »
Should have the goal of being able to fit into any party dynamic (especially whatever the meta is at the time) and striving to get HQ/REMA everything.

Don't need to have everything white boxed, just the goal.

That's not elite, that's job/gears discrimination, lol. Or rather, YOUR definition of elite.

The bar is set pretty low, nothing I stated in there is out of the ordinary. I also said you need to be in the position to learn, it's not all about gear - FFXI is a gear-intensive game so of course it will play a big part. It's also more of a guide than definition, if you have some off-brand DD job geared up instead of the ones I listed, you could still be elite, the bar is just set higher since the gear requirements are higher just to be on par with other DD's.

Winning every single parse on DD, that's elite. Even if you only have 1 DD job geared. There's no point to gear WAR AND THF since they mostly shares same job role.

WAR and THF have different roles, that's why I didn't put them together in my list. And when you're at the top, winning the parse is more about paying attention.

I think this all goes back to my original blurb:

Instead of reading what I wrote, you saw my name and decided that I must be wrong and you must bash me for it. I didn't say you had to be perfect at everything, have REMA everything, have HQ everything. You need to be in the position to learn from others and implement change for the better. If you adhere to what I defined as being elite, you won't have any problems in the game, you'll be sought after to do events with. It's a community driven game, so be a part of the community, help lift it up by progressing towards becoming an elite player. It's ok to be a work in progress as long as you are working.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2018-04-13 12:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There's Elite, and Elitist.

Elite just means you're good. You're among the best-geared (showing devotion) and best-played (you know how to play the job). Elite people know they're elite, but it's a non issue.

Elitist means you believe you're an elite that must always show your godlike status to the mortals, if you must be in their presence. Anything you do that doesn't directly progress you is either for your income or for charity. If it's charity, you have to make a big show of it. If it's income, you have to play it down ("that's just the way the game is", "don't hate the player, hate the game"--couldn't resist).

Generally people that need to prove their godlike status are less god-like than they think. They're Loki. Thor's elite, Loki's elitist. ("Kneeling is the natural state of noobzors, don't you agree?")

Picking qualified players on content that is going to be challenging to your group is neither elite or elitist, merely reasonable.

By the time I quit (yes, I'm one of those), and the reason I quit, everything I wanted to do was a snoozefest. I never felt the need to be part of a merc group to demonstrate my superiority, but neither did I feel like we needed to give gear to people who wouldn't even augment the gear they had. That just creates a bunch of semi-geared-idiots advertising your pearl to other idiots, or warning worthwhile players not to join.

Quote:
1) BRD or GEO
2) PLD or RUN
3) DRK or WAR or DRG
4) THF or BLU
5) WHM
6) COR or RNG
7) BLM or SCH
8) SMN

Some of these jobs are leagues easier to play and/or gear than the compared job. It is easy as hell to gear and play an acceptable PLD. A comparable RUN takes a lot more attention, skill, and resource-management, for example.

Even to the level of elite, RUN is harder. As both a burtgang and epeo.
By Afania 2018-04-13 12:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of reading what I wrote, you saw my name and decided that I must be wrong and you must bash me for it.

I don't think I bashing you as a person, I'm not a forum hater lol. I only stated my opinion about amount jobs an endgame player must possess to be elite.

Papesse is very elite player in my book.

https://www.ffxiah.com/player/Carbuncle/Papesse/#home

He doesn't need to post video nor VD strat on another job to win the title in my book, nor get a ffxiah profile with more jobs/rema than he currently has.

Claiming people with few jobs geared can't get ***done is also very biased. Real elites aren't hindered by their job spread.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-04-13 12:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »

What the *** is ddlc?
The best game ever
Fix'd.
reported for bad taste
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-04-13 12:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Top five elitist?
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 12:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Elitism vs elite.
Handicapped vs handicapable.
By clearlyamule 2018-04-13 12:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

This sounds like a hate crime
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2018-04-13 13:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Much like your posting. And this thread.
By Squabble 2018-04-13 13:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
There's Elite, and Elitist.

Elite just means you're good. You're among the best-geared (showing devotion) and best-played (you know how to play the job). Elite people know they're elite, but it's a non issue.

Elitist means you believe you're an elite that must always show your godlike status to the mortals, if you must be in their presence. Anything you do that doesn't directly progress you is either for your income or for charity. If it's charity, you have to make a big show of it. If it's income, you have to play it down ("that's just the way the game is", "don't hate the player, hate the game"--couldn't resist).

Generally people that need to prove their godlike status are less god-like than they think. They're Loki. Thor's elite, Loki's elitist. ("Kneeling is the natural state of noobzors, don't you agree?")

Picking qualified players on content that is going to be challenging to your group is neither elite or elitist, merely reasonable.

By the time I quit (yes, I'm one of those), and the reason I quit, everything I wanted to do was a snoozefest. I never felt the need to be part of a merc group to demonstrate my superiority, but neither did I feel like we needed to give gear to people who wouldn't even augment the gear they had. That just creates a bunch of semi-geared-idiots advertising your pearl to other idiots, or warning worthwhile players not to join.

Quote:
1) BRD or GEO
2) PLD or RUN
3) DRK or WAR or DRG
4) THF or BLU
5) WHM
6) COR or RNG
7) BLM or SCH
8) SMN

Some of these jobs are leagues easier to play and/or gear than the compared job. It is easy as hell to gear and play an acceptable PLD. A comparable RUN takes a lot more attention, skill, and resource-management, for example.

Even to the level of elite, RUN is harder. As both a burtgang and epeo.

I feel like you're trying to refute implications that I didn't make. I'm not talking about jobs being harder to play or gear, I'm not talking about merc'ing or performing charitable work; I'm talking about what mindset, jobs and minimum gear you should have to be considered elite. You don't even have to be the best at your job as long as you can learn and improve and aren't detrimental. If you're the best at something, you're something above elite - it'd be like saying a King is elite when he is something more. Being an elite player would involve showing your competency in a group dynamic, and you just can't do that without being able to fill all roles if need be.

Some of those jobs are easier, some are harder, but you should have them regardless - a RUN is harder to play than PLD, it's also better in most content, but I'd consider you to be able to fill a tank role from having a PLD. If you and five of your friends all have some diverse combination of jobs that I listed, you wouldn't get stuck on any content.
By clearlyamule 2018-04-13 14:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Much like your posting. And this thread.
Naw this is murica so shitposting isn't illegal yet. Now if I was in Scotland...
 Asura.Darian
By Asura.Darian 2018-04-13 14:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Elite can step into any content at a moment's notice as support, dd, or tank and perform all of the duties necessary to best the fight mechanics in a timely manner on par with the meta. If you can't pivot to all 6 slots then you are missing something. That could be by choice, by lack of experience, lack of skill, or lack of attentiveness.

That's not to say there aren't players better than you at individual jobs, but that you are above the average across multiple jobs.

If you haven't played every job at a high level you can't empathize with other jobs. You don't know what it is like to be a DD without haste if you have never played DD. You don't know how important lockstyle is if you've never played WHM. You may not think to put a bubble on a WHM for radial arcana if you've never botched a curaga. You may not realize what you are doing to your BLM by clipping skillchains if you've never played it.

This is why you see linkshells with 6 elite players accomplishing more than groups with a full alliance. They see the fight from the perspective of everyone and make decisions.

The current fanbase took a hard MMOJRPG and made it cool and glorified to be casual. So much so that people make fun of players that strive for perfection. None of these people would have survived fresh release CoP.
By Afania 2018-04-13 14:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not elite, that's doing the basics, lol.

I have played with a few whm that I consider very very good, like 1% pop of good, they don't have 8 mastered jobs in different role at top end.

So it's not a rule nor anything.