What Is "Elitism"?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What is "Elitism"?
What is "Elitism"?
First Page 2 3 4 5
By geigei 2018-04-10 04:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
geigei said: »
If you have the need to tell others you're elite, chances are you're not.
If you need to post on a forum for a game you haven't played in years, chances are you should stop *** posting but that hasn't stopped you either has it?
Dunno what you talking about but i play since 2003.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-04-10 04:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
If you have the need to tell others you're elite, chances are you're not.
If you need to post on a forum for a game you haven't played in years, chances are you should stop *** posting but that hasn't stopped you either has it?
Dunno what you talking about but i play since 2003.
Well I am sorry if you still play but from everything I've seen you're one of the people that still lurk on this forum that haven't actually "played" in years.
By geigei 2018-04-10 04:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well asura is contagious so presuming ***is normal i guess, dont worry, i like "special" people.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-04-10 04:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well asura is contagious so presuming ***is normal i guess, dont worry, i like "special" people.
Asura is only contagious to anyone that came during/after 24/7 LS. Us OG are unaffected by it.

Guess the rest of the servers didn't mandate vaccinations prior like we did.
 Asura.Seekerstar
By Asura.Seekerstar 2018-04-10 06:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Flippant, smartass answer: elitism is too elite to define.

Real answer: I tend to agree with some of the previous posters' definition of elitism, both the positive and the negative. Striving to excel is something that should be encouraged, even if a person's definition of excellence is somewhat different from the accepted norm.

The toxic kind of elitism is evidenced by certain players on the Asura server- those who demand REMA for E Ambuscade and who belittle others for possessing fewer than, say, ten REMA.

Now, not every player is prepared for all content. There's a progression that should be loosely followed; shortcuts such as paying a merc exist, but don't give experience that teaches a player how to best clear content.

Disclosure- yeah, I merc. It's a valid way to earn gil, and as long as you aren't price-gouging your clients it's acceptable in my eyes. Maybe it isn't for you;if it isn't, then don't do it. I do things for free a lot of the time also, but when a person shouts to purchase gear or content, they have a reason for doing so. That's their business, not the collective antimerc white knight community,so please don't interfere. Thanks in advance.

The lack of experience with content has nothing to do with elitism in its truest sense, though- inexperience is just that, and guess what?

I wasn't born knowing how to clear content and neither were you, so do people a favor and don't be a *** about lack of knowledge. Ignorance is not knowing, while stupidity is the refusal to learn.

One is excusable and the other is not.

Edits- autocorrect is not elite
[+]
By Foxfire 2018-04-10 06:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

chia doesn't play this game it's all lies
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-04-10 08:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Darian said: »
I am alpha and omega. I am elitism.

Now that there are three, maybe four, and possibly more threads dealing with this topic, I think it would do us all some good to consolidate the information into one place.
On behalf of the community, I beseech thee to make an Elite Job Guide.
 Asura.Darian
By Asura.Darian 2018-04-10 08:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »

Now that there are three, maybe four, and possibly more threads dealing with this topic, I think it would do us all some good to consolidate the information into one place.

I tried that but it was removed. Anna obviously has s personal vendetta against me. Or maybe just mad about my Vit 9 WSD 10 Skillchsin dmg 11 odyssean gauntlets but it's not really her it's just my eliteness.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2018-04-10 09:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have to use bots rather than rely on skill, you aren't elite. JS.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-10 09:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

Would argue that if you're smart enough to rely on said bots, you're more elite. Got better ***to do than trivial task that bot is completing.

Need vs Want
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-04-10 09:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Got better ***to do than trivial task that bot is completing.
That's not elite.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-10 09:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Automation in FFXI is it's own level of "elite". Getting all that ***to work together so you can have the reward without playing is uber. "I'm so elite I don't play the game".
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-04-10 09:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Automation in FFXI is it's own level of "elite". Getting all that ***to work together so you can have the reward without playing is uber. "I'm so elite I don't play the game".
Ever see an elite football player get a touchdown with a catapult?
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-10 09:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever see an elite football player get a touchdown with a catapult?

They get touchdowns while sitting at home watching the game on TV.

That's super elite.
By geigei 2018-04-10 09:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever see an elite handball player get a touchdown with a catapult?
Fixed that for you.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-04-10 09:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever see an elite handegg player get a touchdown with a catapult?
Fixed that for you.
Fixed that for you.

#elite
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-10 09:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried that but it was removed. Anna obviously has s personal vendetta against me. Or maybe just mad about my Vit 9 WSD 10 Skillchsin dmg 11 odyssean gauntlets but it's not really her it's just my eliteness.
It could be the attitude and how your topics are posted. I strongly agree with being blunt and honest. But with said community milk and honey might work better.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-04-10 09:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Darian's son is as elite as they come. Any man who can tolerate being in the same breathing space as that guy is a superhuman specimen in my book. And to think, he's only 13. Early nomination for Presidential office of 2042 goes to that kid right there.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-04-10 09:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
milk and honey
Scaphism! I like it.
By clearlyamule 2018-04-10 10:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
clearlyamule said: »
I'd say that elistist don't actually have to be elite themselves. There are plenty of people who apply that standard to others but don't know ***about the game though they might think they do

Real elites carry people.
Carry me senpai
[+]
By Afania 2018-04-10 13:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say that elistist don't actually have to be elite themselves. There are plenty of people who apply that standard to others but don't know ***about the game though they might think they do

Carry me senpai

I would love to if I have a Nirvana, yagrush, idris, epeo. And play 4-6 top end jobs instead of just lolcor4life.

Us lazy casuals cant carry people.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-04-10 13:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried that but it was removed.

I think that was far too technical of an attempt. I mean, it looked like the beginnings of a Webster's of FFXI or a wiki in a thread... I can't see that working.
No, no, I was expecting something more like a totally blank page with a disclaimer in the bottom, "This is the Elite Job Guide. A secret decoder pendant is required to unlock the secrets within. Contact X with a prepayment of Y for entry into a raffle for a pendant. Many will play, few will win. Are you worthy?"
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-04-10 13:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Got better ***to do than trivial task that bot is completing.
That's not elite.

Let's not confuse efficiency and automation with playing skill. Skill at code =/= skill at playing the game directly. Skill at code = knowledge of the game, which can help one play at a higher level. But if you hand your performance over to automation, you may deserve credit for the automation (if you made it yourself) but likely can't debate the skill involved in playing the game itself.

The manufacturer of a baseball or baseball bat can't claim credit for players' performances. The players will surely only use quality equipment. The owners will do their best to make a great team of players. But the players playing get credit for winning a game.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-04-10 13:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Carry me senpai

[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-04-10 13:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Carry me senpai

What code can I add to toggle just one set for footprints?
[+]
By fonewear 2018-04-10 13:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Only 2 pages definitely not elite status yet.
[+]
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2018-04-10 13:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it quite ironic that 75% of the first four people to post on this have a history of elitism

Lets do process of elimination through "fun with clues"

One used a quote from biblical text that has been regurgitating in various forms of nerd art.

One is a former resident of Shiva that at one point ranted about people buying Relic currency who "Didn't deserve a relic and needed to leave the currency to those who did"

And another spends half their life posting mildly amusing rants, trolling quips, and actually tries to play themselves off as an entertaining individual of merit.

And for those who will Beseige this comment here's a /tell /emo harkening back to those Beseiged days: /yawn.
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2018-04-10 13:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Smns are the real elites these days
Semper conduit
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-04-10 13:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Phioness said: »
I find it quite ironic that 75% of the first four people to post on this have a history of elitism

*goes back and counts the first 4 posts*

NOT ME

Your post was removed likely because of your condescending tone when it comes to these forums. If you were all about helping others, nobody would bat an eye. But since you try way too hard to appear superior to others (in a 15+ year old video game, mind you), most people can see through your *** sarcasm and they'll call you out for it. It's not personal. Just not needed.