Link | Quote | Reply

The cake is a lie!
 Asura.Chefm
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Chefm
By Asura.Chefm 2009-09-02 23:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI needs to = FUN. Not long hours killing yourself trying to get NM's, XP, Writeing LONNG pages about how SE and Guildbuys are gay. FFXI = a time where about 1/2 us can kick back for a few hours a day and play and meet new poeple. Not a OMG I NEED 10MillonBillonTrillon Gil or OMG I NEED .... etc. People need to relaxs , breath and play. People Try Useing Your HEAD next time before writeing dumb comments, snapy comments, Angery comment, etc just PLAY the GAME. Easy isn't it ...
[+]
 Phoenix.Phurios
Server: Phoenix
user: Phurios
By Phoenix.Phurios 2009-09-03 16:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of people are saying I should respond and facilitate more. I’ve got to apologize for that, this is my first time really posting anything. I had only planned to respond once after I gave all the flamers a full day to ***on me. Also, it’s really hard to have a response to everything that everyone was saying but I’ll try to do it without keeping us here for another 10 pages.

There are a few different things I’m seeing. Don’t think I’m picking on anyone in particular though; these are just the best examples of what’s been said:

"Pandemonium.Nususu
You are the person you are demonizing. You call people who you don't agree with retards. Seems like a pretty elitist thing to do to me. Sure, there are people who have posted less than intelligent replies, but that's to be expected. It's the internet. There are those, however that have posted intelligent replies to your post. If these replies disagree with you, you call them retards or trolls. You are the problem you are crusading against. Prove me wrong."

I only even posted 1 reply, where I called people retards that are crying that it’s too long, saying that it’s someone complaining about their experience with the game or posting the same old trite “QQ” and “butthurt”. Also that if they read the entire article and still posted something like that, it completely went over their heads. If you understood what was happening you wouldn’t post a response that was so completely off the mark.

I’ve not responded to any other posts at all. If I had I’d just have been repeating the things that were said in the article. There was never really anything I felt compelled to talk more about because I pretty much covered everything I wanted to say in the first 12 pages. There was one good one on allakhazam concerning the relationship between age and player, but I already touched on it, and it died out after 2 posts. I’ve not said anything good, bad or indifferent about people disagreeing with me. Other than at the start of the article where it clearly says:

“People will disagree with the things I say here, that’s not bad, it’s good…”

People are supposed to disagree with it. If you write something and everyone agrees with you, what exactly have you accomplished? All you’ve done is say what everyone already knows. What would be the point?

I think the proper response to reading it looks a lot like this:

“I didn’t agree with everything he said but he makes some good points too.”

Which I was happy to see happen with a lot more people than I anticipated.

A few people are asking “Well, what did you expect to happen?” My 2nd post covers this but I’ll elaborate.

I honestly expected about 50 people would read the first 1-2 pages and stop there to play the I can rip on this guy hardest game (which happened), only 10 people would read the whole thing (more like 25-30 actually did), 2 of them would understand what’s happening, and the other 8 wouldn’t. (15-20 really understood it)

So this actually went over a lot better than I had hoped. And many people are saying things like “No one will even read this and if they do they won’t care 2 shits about it” and “it’s pointless to try to change someone’s mind.” This is completely wrong. Why have forums at all if this is the case? I know I’ve changed my mind about the level of apathy in the community. There’s much more people willing to debate these things than I thought.

A few people are saying things like this:

“Pawkeshup the Ludicrous

Oh, I thought you wanted a discussion. Why not discuss then? Oh wait, that's right, you wanted to attention *** then run off into the sunset to be forgotten. Seems to be the new cool trend to ask for your own thread to be locked I guess.”

Other than already discussing in 10+ pages and wanting to hear what others thought, the article has other purposes. A lot more is going on there than at first glance. I thought I covered this in the 2nd post but again I’ll elaborate. The objective of this thread (and a lot of the article) was to point out that given the choice between doing something productive to benefit us or self destructive pettiness; we will choose self destructive pettiness. We suck for doing that, and don’t you think we should change this about ourselves? Again, not everyone did this, but the majority did. If productive things happened, great! But I didn’t expect them to start right here and now.

If you look at the avatar I used, the pretentious *** level being pushed past maximum, the way I attacked Samurai and HNMs. These things were all bait which hooked a lot of people. Someone described it as a social experiment, that’s not a bad way to put it.

We can spend our time working at our problems or we can call each other “noob” back and forth for 5 pages and keep buying gil. The online gaming culture in general has chosen the latter but I couldn’t care less about what other games are doing. I only care about the games I’m playing, which means the FFXI/FFXIV community. We can’t ignore that these things are worth talking about. The thread on Allakhazam has 19,000+ views (is that accurate?) within just a couple of days, which sounds like a lot to me but then again I know next to nothing about forums. I’ve more or less put XI behind me but if someone more experienced with forums wants to really start talking about this stuff I’d chime in from time to time. Beyond that I’m done until XIV.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-03 16:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This should have been locked already >.>
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-03 17:02:02
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

It should have been locked after the initial few posts, because something like this won't change jack ***. I can't believe any one person thinks they're going to change anything about an online community, most of which don't give a damn what you think.

This is exactly like real life there OP. Do you think you could write a letter to the Taliban and expect them to stop killing? It's a bit of an extreme analogy, but I do hope you'd get my point. I understand you want things to change. I'm here to tell you they won't. You can either toughen up and deal with it, or keep letting the entire world effect you negatively and cry yourself to sleep.

NOW SOMEONE LOCK THIS FFS.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-03 17:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypnotizd said:
This should have been locked already >.>
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-03 19:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kind of not the point that he is "one person trying to change the world". It's more that he is playing catalyst to get everyone to take a step back and discuss what's wrong and what can be fixed if we put some effort into it as a community. He's taken a bold step in being the forerunner though. Now we can either say "STFU NOOB!" and continue doing the same ole song and dance. Or, we can say, "man, I guess I could make an effort to be more courteous to those people that deserve it, and maybe to those that don't". Either way, our move.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-03 19:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Having played this game for over 5 and a half years, I've known these problems for a long time lol, and anyone playing for as long does too id hope, I just try to treat people like I hope they'd treat me and move along and have fun the way I want, which happens to be Mathing it, and doing the best I can, Imo, what he was doing was simply venting.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-03 19:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

That's fine, what and how you play is fine. You aren't out attacking people for kicks. You play to have fun and treat people with respect if they deserve it. That's cool. We don't have to hand out awards or anything, just be polite and decent if warranted. I treat people nicely and go out of my way to help. I just wish more people did the same. Until then, I'll reward those few that are decent people, and continue to deny help to those that aren't. But I'll make sure they know why I'm not helping them as well. (but nicely)
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-03 19:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
That's fine, what and how you play is fine. You aren't out attacking people for kicks. You play to have fun and treat people with respect if they deserve it. That's cool. We don't have to hand out awards or anything, just be polite and decent if warranted. I treat people nicely and go out of my way to help. I just wish more people did the same. Until then, I'll reward those few that are decent people, and continue to deny help to those that aren't. But I'll make sure they know why I'm not helping them as well. (but nicely)

Quoted for *** truth,

I as well go out of my way to help people, then I'm a sad panda when I get absolutely none is return, after years, it makes you kinda wanna give up helping people.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-03 19:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear you Rum, was working on 5 years myself until last month when SE gave me das boot. But yeah, it gets tough to want to help people when you keep getting leeched off. Hang in there though lol. If I ever get back in game, I'll try and pick up where I left off as well. :P
 Fenrir.Sethimothy
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sethimothy 2009-09-03 20:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Step 1.)Get a livejournal.
Step 2.)Get a copy editor.
Step 3.)Quit spamming this on every forum you're a member of.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-03 20:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Pssh, no one actually reads livejournal. -.-

I actually enjoyed the article, btw. I'm glad he spammed it. Otherwise, I'd have missed it. And, despite some people, it has sparked some interesting conversation.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-03 21:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I like this metaphor:

User submitted image

yeah I know its supposed to be Subjob. So sue me!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-04 09:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

^ I thought it was good anyway, lol.
 Garuda.Glaciont
user: glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2009-09-04 10:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Couple things....

"you might as well get the pocket protector and argue Kirk vs. Picard"

Clearly Picard right...

Anyways, he's obviously Q.Qing about all the players who put alot of time into ffxi and "are narcissistic, self congratulatory, greedy, self absorbed geeks with inferiority complexes, who play the game not for the fun or adventure…but to feel special about their gear."

Of course we are, this coming from the guy who wrote a 10 page essay on FFXI to Q.Q
[+]
 Garuda.Glaciont
user: glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2009-09-04 10:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

"Expert Captain ranked Mercenary. You can hire me to win any Assault or Mission for a small fee. Selling some of the most rare gear in FFXI for cheap. Salvage gear is also negotiable. /tell me in game.

Phurius what are you complaining about, seriously. You have great gear, you make decent gil yet despite all of that you are whining and crying about everyone else.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-09-04 10:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i want to know the *** who hires a copy editor for his LJ account. what a loser.

in any event, you got a laugh from me, chaosx.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-04 14:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghlin said:
i want to know the *** who hires a copy editor for his LJ account. what a loser.

in any event, you got a laugh from me, chaosx.

Sweets!
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-05 05:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gave it another read, a few days later. Sorry, but I still don't buy it. And here's why:

Your thesis can basically be summed up with this:

Quote:
I believe we should seek to improve the community in which we interact everyday.

Yet, I see quite a few instances of negativity. Examples:

Quote:
If they let just anyone join there’s a good chance an inexperienced or jackass player could screw up the activity for the rest of the group and you’ve wasted pop items, gil, assault points, or worse…everyone’s time and effort.

I don't see how labeling someone as "jackass player" is helping the situation of this "big mess." If you expect to fix the "big mess," you shouldn't contribute to the "big mess."

Quote:
M.I.M.S. has to be beaten out of the host body. Blunt trauma to the head will usually do the trick, but repeated bludgeoning to the face also works, just slower. If I had the resources I would gladly fly around the world and personally cure every case of this disorder possible. But in reality, I’m too broke for that. There are small steps we can take in game to help control M.I.M.S. outbreaks which I will discuss now.

Seriously, what the *** is this? I understand sarcasm just fine, in case you're wondering. But what the *** is this? If you expect a community of people to take you seriously, sarcasm is a no-no. Furthermore, if you expect to be a messiah for this problem we, as a community, have with our attitudes towards the general public, promoting physical violence (even if you're joking) is a sure way to get people to tune you out or laugh at you. I, personally, laughed at you. Just being honest.

Quote:
No one way to do it is better, anyone professing they do it better is suffering from a severe case of M.I.M.S.

Insulting people by saying they have a "severe case" of a disease you pulled out of your *** is the best possible way to get people NOT to take you seriously.

Quote:
Brace yourself; this is going to be exceedingly difficult to understand but try to work through it. Go back and read this section two or three times until you’ve understood every intricate detail of what is being said.

So is treating people like retards.

Quote:
Anyone waving a flag on a forum and speaking absolutes for his/her gear…M.I.M.S.

Again, with this "MIMS" ***. So only the people you deem worthy of respect are allowed to have it, but everyone else is subject to this *** disease you made up? I don't see how classifying and judging people fixes this community.

Quote:
Warriors that stand there never using provoke while an add kills your mages should be banned from the game and executed by guillotine.

Again, with the physical violence. Enough said.

Quote:
We’re so quick to blacklist each other over some silly disagreement. Take that frustration and aim it at someone who is really ruining the game for you. If someone fesses up to buying gil, blacklist them and get everyone you know to blacklist them. And let them know why you’re blacklisting them. And make sure you embarrass them.

How does embarrassing people make the community a better place? If anything, it places a target on them for further ridicule. And as you said earlier:

Quote:
To put it plainly, they are you. They are paying their monthly fee to support the game just as you are.

Quote:
If you have great gear, run around Aht Urhgan in full AF once in a while. Show everyone you’re not a nerdo showoff.

Excuse people who put time and effort into their characters and want to show off their gear. There is nothing wrong with that. Humans do it everyday, yes, even in real life situations. Hanging your kid's A+ book report on the fridge is showing it off. Putting your high school/college diploma in a frame on your wall is *gasp* showing it off! Why shouldn't I, or anyone else for that matter, not put on gear they worked their *** off to obtain? How is that a horrible thing that makes the community bad? (That's a serious question, by the way.)

Quote:
And then you can rip on them for having M.I.M.S.

"Rip on them?" I though you were trying to make this community better, not just add fuel to the fire.

I think I left enough food for thought. As I said in a previous post, if you're going to be an ***, at least be an honest *** and own up to it, which I haven't seen you do. All I see is you with this messiah complex, where you honestly believe that this piece of writing is going to save the community, but when I read it all I saw was snide remarks and comments which add to the original problem in the first place!

In conclusion, I still don't see the point of this blog entry, other than to seek attention.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-05 06:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaosx said:
The cake is a lie!

^ This!