The Big FFXI Mess
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Phoenix.Phurios
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Phurios
By Phoenix.Phurios 2009-09-01 20:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Feel free to close/lock this thread whenever, I've done everything I set out to do in 2 posts.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 20:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Edited: I had posted a response again, but then my brain kicked in and decided better.

Good Luck in game everyone. Hope some people can take a step back and realize they are hurting themselves as well as the ffxi community by driving potential alliance mates off.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Nususu
Server: Pandemonium
user: nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 20:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phurios said:
Exactly what I expected to see. It’s so much easier to judge a voice than to use one. Why think at all when you can criticize? I’ve been bored seeing the posts of people saying the same dumb ***the person before them said. Are “QQ” and “butthurt” really a valid reason to post?? Also, everyone saying this kind of stuff is way off, sorry. It completely went over your head. Or you just didn’t read it and decided to post something pointless anyway.

I don’t read enough forums to fully comprehend “troll” or what it means to “troll”. But if it means to bait someone then it’s not an inaccurate way to describe what I was looking to do.

The article I posted is filled with good ideas about what we can do to improve our community, but it also has these sharp accusations and broad generalizations to get the attention of these players that thrive on conflict despite it’s counter productiveness.

So we had two choices upon reading this.

1. Engage in a discussion about the problems we have and what we should do about them.
2. Attack the poster, trying to win a flaming war.

Without hesitation we choose the latter in every forum, its remarkable.

http://www.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=125175480737147175&num=85&page=1

http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22313&sid=22f3db7af131e08ffaa1ece07fb5eb3f

http://killingifrit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179737

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=4728

Not only am I attacked personally, as illustrated in the article, people immediately criticize equipment, assuming that whoever wrote this has bad gear. We actually get to see M.I.M.S. in action.

I’d like to say thank you to all these geeks for their support in helping to prove my point and make the article come to life. I wish I had responded sooner so this guy hadn’t beaten me to it.

"By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-09-01 02:01:17

So basically, most of you puffed up babies, instead of actually reading his full "article" which was insightful and pretty good, just spent all your time writing comments that proved him ridiculously right...

This was not a goodbye letter. This is a plea to improve the game, our game, as a whole. The response just goes to show that a solid 60% of the people that play this game are so deeply ridden with 'toolism' and douchebaggery that it will likely be impossible to excise it from you all without some sort of a exorcism. "We'll need an old white mage and a young white mage...."

Seriously you trolls; get an attention span and a conscientiousness of the world around you."

I didn’t write this for those people who don’t have the attention span to read a mere 10 pages. In fact I bullet pointed those wildly sharp points at the very start to help weed out these retards. I wrote it for the 15-20 people that actually sat down and read it in its entirety, understood what was going on, yes, even the subtle parts, and then thought about this stuff as we move into FFXIV. Not trying to change anyone’s life, just asking people to think about it.

My only complaint is that I’ve received all kinds of private messages and friend invites wanting to talk about it. Why not post? Don’t be afraid of conflict, that’s how things get accomplished.

The article is there, read it if you want, it’s got some good stuff in it. You can keep bashing me if you want too, it’s really interesting. I’ll see everyone for FFXIV.

You are the person you are demonizing. You call people who you don't agree with retards. Seems like a pretty elitist thing to do to me. Sure, there are people who have posted less than intelligent replies, but that's to be expected. It's the internet. There are those, however that have posted intelligent replies to your post. If these replies disagree with you, you call them retards or trolls. You are the problem you are crusading against. Prove me wrong.
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-01 20:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

lame
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 20:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nususu said:

You are the person you are demonizing. You call people who you don't agree with retards. Seems like a pretty elitist thing to do to me. Sure, there are people who have posted less than intelligent replies, but that's to be expected. It's the internet. There are those, however that have posted intelligent replies to your post. If these replies disagree with you, you call them retards or trolls. You are the problem you are crusading against. Prove me wrong.

Win.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 20:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phurios said:
I didn’t write this for those people who don’t have the attention span to read a mere 10 pages. In fact I bullet pointed those wildly sharp points at the very start to help weed out these retards.

Now... Read that part over carefully. Who is he calling a retard? "these retards" refers to the people that cannot "read a mere 10 pages". This isn't an attack on you by any means, I don't mean to insult you. I'm merely using your post as an example on what most people are doing. Comprehension is important in stuff like this. A great deal of times it's easier to simply skim through and post a quick response, but in doing so, you miss the vital key points and supporting structure.

He wasn't insulting the people who disagreed there. (not to say that he hasn't or won't in the future, but this isn't a character defense.) He was simply referring to the people that pull a "too long; didn't read" outta their *** because they are lazy, or simply don't care, yet they post anyways.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-01 21:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Nususu said:

User submitted image

Also agree with Chupacabra, despite my inital urge to tl;dr the OP.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 21:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
Phurios said:
I didn’t write this for those people who don’t have the attention span to read a mere 10 pages. In fact I bullet pointed those wildly sharp points at the very start to help weed out these retards.

Now... Read that part over carefully. Who is he calling a retard? "these retards" refers to the people that cannot "read a mere 10 pages". This isn't an attack on you by any means, I don't mean to insult you. I'm merely using your post as an example on what most people are doing. Comprehension is important in stuff like this. A great deal of times it's easier to simply skim through and post a quick response, but in doing so, you miss the vital key points and supporting structure.

He wasn't insulting the people who disagreed there. (not to say that he hasn't or won't in the future, but this isn't a character defense.) He was simply referring to the people that pull a "too long; didn't read" outta their *** because they are lazy, or simply don't care, yet they post anyways.

I understand who he was calling a retard. I read things thoroughly. For example, I remember reading the OP saying something about we need to make the community better. This will NOT happen through calling people retards, even if they are. I'm just here to point out the many hypocrisies in the OP's posts. He suggests an altruistic world of ffxi where people give strangers in their party accuracy rings, and at the same time he is short with people, and won't listen to other points of view. It's pretty easy to soapbox, but it's much harder to listen and thoughtfully respond. OP, if you truly wanted a discussion, you should have facilitated it much better than you did.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 21:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phurios said:

So, you took the time and effort to make bullet points so people didn't have to read your 10 pages?(Correct me if im wrong, that is what you are saying) Then you criticize them for doing exactly what you intended? If you really wanted to weed out the "retard's" not making the bullets( making it easy for them to take pot shots at you) was the way to go, cuz they'd have nothing to even base their posts off of.

And i like Nusu's post.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-09-01 21:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to go have fun playing FFXI with my friends now, that's the only community in this game I actually care about..

have fun arguing about your community guys
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-01 21:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Feifongwong said:
I'm going to go have fun playing FFXI with my friends now, that's the only community in this game I actually care about..

My community is better then yours! It has hot asian+hot latina chicks in it!
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-09-01 21:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Feifongwong said:

My community is better then yours! It has hot asian+hot latina chicks in it!

Sweet! Can I hang out with you sometime?
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-01 21:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Feifongwong said:

Sweet! Can I hang out with you sometime?

Gotta be on Asura D=
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-09-01 21:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:

Gotta be on Asura D=

aaaawww ; ;
 Phoenix.Jovant
Server: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2009-09-01 21:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

ive skimmed through the pages (will get back to it later, currently at work) but most of what your saying Phurios is infact true, but... the way people play infects others, people are subliminally thought to play poorly because of the people around them, can u change ones mind? not really cause it seems that once people cling on to something they tend to be attached to that thing unless there being critized on what there doing, why are people more prone to bad game play or behavior? its human nature to always remember the bad for some reason maybe thats why people inherit bad behavior more so then good. for ex: if some one that was close to you did good deeds for you at one point give u money or let u stay with him/her or w/e and then did something like accidently killed your child, you'll never forget that in your life time, day ectect and to some thats unforgivable to other there will forgive u to a certain extent will they ever let that person babysit there next child? more then likely hell no. my point being alot of people think a certain way because they follow the ban wagon and learn from the person that is acting in such way. hate to bring it up but "religion" im not particularly sure if theres a god or not, but i go by what i see or what can be proven, i know there is some sort of higher life foam somewhere in the universe but i dont know what it is (contradiction, I know a higher life form can not be proven but I do believe in the evolution theory and that small single celled organisms can survive in deep space so in theory we “could” have came from another plant and over time evolution took place ). people who believe in god will tell you they believe because of faith but they never saw this person just stories that was passed down from generation to generation, and they infact think like this because there parents was to believe it to be true while there parents was to believe its true and so forth, its like they where "told" or brain wash to believe in something from an earlier age and never had a choice for themselves. same thing can be said for the virtual world. when u play with mass amount of people for the first time u absorb everything thats going on around you and soon develop a playing style that almost mimics what youve been exposed to/been called yourself, and because you felt sad or mad w/e earlier in your mmorpg gaming days when you have 2 or 3+ years experience your going to treat some other guy that was in fact like you 2 or 3 years prior the same way u have been treated (same as school freshman vs seniors). and yes the majority of the people are sadly exposed to bad attitudes
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 21:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

He presented his argument better than most would, imo. Also, lets cut the OP out entirely. Now that the middle man is gone, lets focus on what was said. Let's not bicker about the petty stuff and we'll all focus on the meat of the subject. The way we treat others in game and the way we carry ourselves.

If the playerbase continues to exclude the "fresh meat", eventually you will be playing on a very lonely server. Or, no server at all. The point is to bring in new players, and to help them be better so that you can do events with them later. Not drive them off before they hit Kazham.

Gilbuyers ... this is akin to the "Windower" argument. Those who buy gil say it doesn't hurt anyone. Those who don't say it does. Simple difference here though... buying gil does cause damage to the community and the game. The gil you bought may have come from a smash and grab on some other player. So please... stop buying gil.

Let's see... Stop insulting people and their gear every chance you get if you do that sort of thing. Not everyone has the playtime/linkshell/luck/experience/etc to get the same gear as you or better. We all started somewhere. Also, gear is secondary to skill in this game... we all should know that. Insulting people makes you look childish and petty.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Do stuff, help out when you can, it's not all about you, you can't solo the game, and so on.

/discuss
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-01 21:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus Christ, use some *** punctuation please. It's like running a day-care full of mentally slow children.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 21:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
The way we treat others in game and the way we carry ourselves.

I treat others as I would like to be treated.(Or try to at least)
Chupacabra said:

If the playerbase continues to exclude the "fresh meat", eventually you will be playing on a very lonely server. Or, no server at all. The point is to bring in new players, and to help them be better so that you can do events with them later. Not drive them off before they hit Kazham.

I am on a locked server. >.>;;
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 21:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
Final Fantasy XI - It's like running a day-care full of mentally slow children.
I like this one better, hope you don't mind Kungfu. ^^
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-01 21:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
Kungfuhustle said:
Final Fantasy XI - It's like running a day-care full of mentally slow children.
I like this one better, hope you don't mind Kungfu. ^^

LMFAO! I approve!
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 21:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Those of us on locked servers will eventually be in this boat though. When your server is either re-opened, or merged with Asura... (hah! see what I did there... I keed. That's wrong to wish Asura on anyone. :P)*

So even though it doesn't currently apply to you, it will someday, and that's when you can choose to act on it.

I agree with the treat others how you wish to be treated ideal.

*I poke fun at Asura because I care. Not because I actually know anything about them. Just thought I would add that disclaimer in there before people pulled the hypocrite card on me :O
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 21:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
Those of us on locked servers will eventually be in this boat though. When your server is either re-opened, or merged with Asura... (hah! see what I did there... I keed. That's wrong to wish Asura on anyone. :P)*

So even though it doesn't currently apply to you, it will someday, and that's when you can choose to act on it.

I agree with the treat others how you wish to be treated ideal.

*I poke fun at Asura because I care. Not because I actually know anything about them. Just thought I would add that disclaimer in there before people pulled the hypocrite card on me :O

I mean i've been playing this game for 6 years on Bahamut ;o, we are kinda a douchey server :O
 Bahamut.Rydiya
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-01 21:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Rumaha said:
I mean i've been playing this game for 6 years on Bahamut ;o, we are kinda a douchey server :O

Cept for meeeee... At times.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 21:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, yeah. The game starts to stagnate and people just kinda simmer in their bitter endgame juices after a few years. No influx of new players, but you do get spared the RMT crap that everyone else is getting I suppose. Win some, lose some. :)

/rerail! lol
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with the notion that gear is secondary to skill. Granted, if you have no skill, all the relics in the world will do you no good, but there are things skill just can't do. All the skill and willpower in the world won't land a debuff on a high level mob, which, in endgame scenarios can be crucial. This is not to say top tier equipment is necessary. On the contrary, there are relatively easily obtainable pieces that are good (but not the best). If you have good enough gear to do your job, you're fine by me. You don't have to be perfect, but we only get better if we strive for perfection. We will never reach perfection, because that's impossible, but in the process of seeking perfection, we will catch excellence. This is all I will ask for, and I don't think it's unreasonable.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 22:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear what you're saying, but I want to continue standing by my "gear is secondary to skill" statement. All the gear in the world can't help if you don't know what to cast and where to stand, when to stand and when to move, etc.

I've seen so many arguments about "if I had this single piece of gear, I could solo so-and so". I've yet to come across a single piece of gear that made the impossible, possible. Maybe this was because of my job choices. Mnk, Blm, and Nin maybe don't get that single piece of "uber gear". I might never know. :(

Edited! Gear is "situational"! That way, we can both be right ^^
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-01 22:14:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
I hear what you're saying, but I want to continue standing by my "gear is secondary to skill" statement. All the gear in the world can't help if you don't know what to cast and where to stand, when to stand and when to move, etc.

I've seen so many arguments about "if I had this single piece of gear, I could solo so-and so". I've yet to come across a single piece of gear that made the impossible, possible. Maybe this was because of my job choices. Mnk, Blm, and Nin maybe don't get that single piece of "uber gear". I might never know. :(

Edited! Gear is "situational"! That way, we can both be right ^^

Hay Black Belt, never seen you before!

Seriously though, there's got to be a balance of knowledge and gear to use anything right. Arguing that one is more important than the other is futile.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-01 22:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

think of it like this...Take my hammer...

my hammer is just a hammer, without my knowledge of how to use a hammer, it would just sit there in my toolbox.
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Go tank Charybdis for me without an evasion gearset. Tell me how that goes for you. Unless a person bought their account, I'm assuming they have a skill level high enough to know how to play their job, and if they don't, they probably haven't been playing the job long enough to need the elite gear.
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
think of it like this...Take my hammer...

my hammer is just a hammer, without my knowledge of how to use a hammer, it would just sit there in my toolbox.

I'm assuming that most people buy a hammer because they have a purpose for it. This applies to gear too. I buy gear that I'll know how to use, and have a purpose for. I'm assuming that people know how to play their job by the time they need to be getting nice gear.