[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-01 22:25:40
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
think of it like this...Take my hammer...

my hammer is just a hammer, without my knowledge of how to use a hammer, it would just sit there in my toolbox.

Yet anyone can take a hammer, and smash random ***with it.

If you guys don't see the point that you need a balance of both, then I can't help ya.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 22:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Nususu said:
Go tank Charybdis for me without an evasion gearset. Tell me how that goes for you. Unless a person bought their account, I'm assuming they have a skill level high enough to know how to play their job, and if they don't, they probably haven't been playing the job long enough to need the elite gear.

Leven Sync.
 Pandemonium.Nususu
user: nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me make my point more clear. You do need a balance of both skill and gear, however, endgame, gear makes more of an impact.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 22:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Erf... apparently my /rerail macro is fudged up...

Situational. Everything in this game is situational. From a set of leaping boots to a spike necklace to a KO. When you start to judge people based on the gear they wear, versus how they play, you sometimes lose out on some genuinely good players. "Judge a book by its cover" deal.

I've met people that have great gear, but I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Cause they simply didn't know how to play their job. I've seen people do things in this game that I thought impossible. Wearing nothing but AF. From what I have seen and experienced, it's all situational. Sometimes something is just better than something else and at other times, that something is useless.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

And I am of the opinion that Level Sync was one of the worst things to happen to this game.
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't imagine how people would be able to get amazing end game gear without being skilled enough in the first place, unless they bought gil or an account. If you're serious about endgame, I assume you have at least a rudimentary skill level. And again, there are things that are impossible without the right gear. I could be a pro at kiting, but if i don't have the right gear to land kiting debuffs, it's not going to matter how well I can run in a circle.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-01 22:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

buy your account, then you'll understand Nususu
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 22:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Level sync was introduced to combat certain issues that arose in leveling in a mature mmo. While it served a purpose, it has made an impact on the skill level of ffxi as a whole. And it wasn't a good impact. But, it probably only hurt as much as TP burn parties. People will adapt, and from what I remember, TP burn ronfaure [S] parties were all the rage. I think it helped more than it hurt though.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 22:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nususu said:
And I am of the opinion that Level Sync was one of the worst things to happen to this game.

I like the concept, but they did it wrong.

Situational ***is situational.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 22:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

... it had to be done :(
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-01 22:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it just me, or does the word "situational" no longer even look like a real word... o.O
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-01 22:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
User submitted image

... it had to be done :(

WIN!
 Pandemonium.Nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-09-01 22:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never seen that one before... :D

However, everything in this game is a different situation. Different situations require different gear. Mages need refresh gear, hMP gear, nuking/curing gear, etc. You can get away without these early on, but you need gear for all situations to be able to keep up endgame.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-01 22:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
Is it just me, or does the word "situational" no longer even look like a real word... o.O

it lost its meaning
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-01 22:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nususu said:
I can't imagine how people would be able to get amazing end game gear without being skilled enough in the first place, unless they bought gil or an account. If you're serious about endgame, I assume you have at least a rudimentary skill level. And again, there are things that are impossible without the right gear. I could be a pro at kiting, but if i don't have the right gear to land kiting debuffs, it's not going to matter how well I can run in a circle.

I have seen proof time and time again that you can get endgame gear with enough patience, no matter how hard you suck... it's the downfall of the prevalent point system. Somebody will accept you and let you stay in that shell, and eventually you will get endgame gear and everyone who could actually put that gear to use will RAAAAAAGGGGEEEEEE. Not really. But we might cry on the inside a bit.

Then there's people with relics/Drings/etc and no idea what to do with them. That's an extra special level of failure.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-02 00:31:16
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I usually weep to myself. Especially when a BLM that nukes in Royal Redingote got an Alkalurops recently in my ZNM shell.
 Valefor.Anodrac
Server: Valefor
user: Anodrac
By Valefor.Anodrac 2009-09-02 00:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like i'm reading a D&D forum and not a FFXI one. Too many Trolls. The harsh reactions to his experience and plea to the FFXI community just reaffirm his conclusions.

My experience: Chocobogordo starts to monopolize HNM with their new bots all the while yelling at rival HNM shells not to "Cry because all Valefor HNM are belong to us". My response was, "You act like having those dorps somehow matters beyond the digital fantasy life of FFXI". Yeah, i used the "It's just a game card". Get over it.

A few weeks later, i hear the leader, JORDI, sold the LS bank and bought a new computer, or a Fiat or something, w/e he's from Spain. I ROFLCOPTER'ed. They reformed as Fatchocobogordo and resumed the retardedness. Would you believe, a few months later, THE SAME THING HAPPENS AGAIN! They now go by Triumvirate or something.

Point here? The players he talks about fueled this situation. He tries to help in his post with a few situational examples and then gives advice. What does he get for it? Comments about how his butt-hurts for some reason. Maturity lost and his points proven about some players in the FFXI community.

My opinion: Good job Phurios on a well-written article about a game and experience that took a part of 5yrs of your life. I have often thought many things you have written. I hope the best to you and wish i had known you as a player.

To the Trollers, and people unable to take this with maturity: TROLL ON!
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-02 01:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Then there's people with relics/Drings/etc and no idea what to do with them. That's an extra special level of failure.

There's a whole linkshell full of people like that.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-02 01:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anodrac said:
dorps

/giggle
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-09-02 03:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
Phurios said:
I didn’t write this for those people who don’t have the attention span to read a mere 10 pages. In fact I bullet pointed those wildly sharp points at the very start to help weed out these retards.

Now... Read that part over carefully. Who is he calling a retard? "these retards" refers to the people that cannot "read a mere 10 pages". This isn't an attack on you by any means, I don't mean to insult you. I'm merely using your post as an example on what most people are doing. Comprehension is important in stuff like this. A great deal of times it's easier to simply skim through and post a quick response, but in doing so, you miss the vital key points and supporting structure.

Pot call the kettle black.

"kettle sound"
He wasn't insulting the people who disagreed there. (not to say that he hasn't or won't in the future, but this isn't a character defense.) He was simply referring to the people that pull a "too long; didn't read" outta their *** because they are lazy, or simply don't care, yet they post anyways.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-09-02 03:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think about it had some nice points. It was an interesting read, with out me cursing or saying anything. I was in a bad mood early in the thread, even went off at a cake member on my ls's forum for some reason. Sometimes I think I need a break, do not have an idea what caused that. Oh yes I do, most likely maybe I really do. See when ever something happens in game or out side of game there is some kind of argument. whether it is on a forum or not, it still does not justify looking like an ***. I looked like an *** on my ls forum, I had the right to get hostile and defend my self. But somethings should remain not said or provoked.

So concerning this the OP thread, url. It was really an interesting read. again I did not agree with everything he said. But most of it in some ways is true. fact is how people are acting inside this thread. You do realize this game is not real right..? I am wondering... are you all that socially inept? Going my gear is better than yours etc, this that i won't party with you because of this... did you ever feel bad when it happened to you? tell me how did it feel? What about the people hmmm? who did it to you...? probably are so regressed only time they feel they can be like this is in an online video game.

Some of you need to realize, if you are acting like this in real life. I wonder what would happen if you acted like this in the street with someone. on a forum or in game... what would happen outside game? would you get hit in the face? beat the ***out of? I dare anyone to act like they do on this forum or online with people... even I do not do that. I am a nice person outside of game, but I can defend my self if attack and provoked.. I have some knowledge of tai kwan do. Thanks to my uncle and older brother who are black belt level.. do you see me berating people and acting like this are less than what ever online...?

going tl;dr? and acting stupid. He posting something that is true, whether you like it or not you can't/could not stop him from posting it. either you post a meaningful post or not. There is no need for anyone's flaming comments.

Can't we all just get along?
 Bahamut.Raelia
user: Raelia
By Bahamut.Raelia 2009-09-02 03:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I would dare Stanflame to act like his posting self within a quarter mile of any other frequenter of this site.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-09-02 03:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

/em scratches his head...

What's all this about pots and kettles then? /confused :\
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-09-02 09:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Raelia said:
I would dare Stanflame to act like his posting self within a quarter mile of any other frequenter of this site.

shoo realia don't start you know what i'll do...
 Ramuh.Miemo
Server: Ramuh
user: Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-02 09:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Stanflame said:
Raelia said:

shoo realia don't start you know what i'll do...

User submitted image
 Shiva.Ragnell
Server: Shiva
user: Ragnell
By Shiva.Ragnell 2009-09-02 18:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anyone ask for his account or gil or gear yet? Cause i want it
 Shiva.Ziila
Server: Shiva
user: Ziila
By Shiva.Ziila 2009-09-02 18:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only person who noticed this?
Massive Wall of Text said:
The word nerd carries no positive or negative connotation for me.

Following about 10 pejorative uses of the word throughout the document
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-02 18:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ziila said:
Am I the only person who noticed this?
Massive Wall of Text said:
The word nerd carries no positive or negative connotation for me.

Following about 10 pejorative uses of the word throughout the document

I noticed it as well, the amount he bashed "nerds" then called himself a nerd erked me
 Diabolos.Ghlin
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-09-02 21:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I read it. It wasn't worth reading. It was a rant. It was very scatterbrained. I think it's a very, very rough draft. Needs a lot of work to be considered the best document ever written for FFXI... or for anything for that matter.

In any event, OP is essentially asking (more like, pleading with) people to be more considerate. I consider myself a righteous person. But, I see the rest of the masses as extremely self-centered and inconsiderate. I've met other righteous individuals, but they're few and far between.

It hurt me very badly to find out that no one cares, but no one cared. That's life. No one cares. Deal with it.

~G
[+]