WHM Maat Fight
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-24 13:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Was just kidding about actually going out and leveling PLD to 50.

What I meant by it was that you need to get used to the timing of spellcasting while you're getting whacked so that you can get them off instead of dying.

Tanking on PLD forces you to do it, so since I was leveling PLD on my other character around the time I was getting ready for WHM Maat, it was very helpful. However, you could easily go solo some stuff like Helm Beetles in QSC or Robber Crabs for practice.

Just do it near a zone, and don't wuss out and do it /NIN (since you have no subjob against Maat). I recommend /BLM for Aspir, and use a Lilith's Rod and some form of shield.

Or, you could go the Repose route. LIke I said earlier, that wasn't an option when I did it, so I went with the "Tank" strategy, using Max MP Gear at the beginning and swapping into Defensive/HP gear as MP was used up. I think I finished with almost full HP and 300-400 MP going that way. I went back at 75 and kicked his sorry butt melee style, but I wouldn't recommend that at 70 or below, although it could be donw.

I did borrow a friend's Noble's for the Refresh (they were about 10M at the time).

Anyway, good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do fine!
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 13:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
Was just kidding about actually going out and leveling PLD to 50.

What I meant by it was that you need to get used to the timing of spellcasting while you're getting whacked so that you can get them off instead of dying.

Tanking on PLD forces you to do it, so since I was leveling PLD on my other character around the time I was getting ready for WHM Maat, it was very helpful. However, you could easily go solo some stuff like Helm Beetles in QSC or Robber Crabs for practice.

Just do it near a zone, and don't wuss out and do it /NIN (since you have no subjob against Maat). I recommend /BLM for Aspir, and use a Lilith's Rod and some form of shield.

Or, you could go the Repose route. LIke I said earlier, that wasn't an option when I did it, so I went with the "Tank" strategy, using Max MP Gear at the beginning and swapping into Defensive/HP gear as MP was used up. I think I finished with almost full HP and 300-400 MP going that way. I went back at 75 and kicked his sorry butt melee style, but I wouldn't recommend that at 70 or below, although it could be donw.

I did borrow a friend's Noble's for the Refresh (they were about 10M at the time).

Anyway, good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do fine!

Hopefully someone will have a... vermillion's cloak. If I'm 68 before I do it, I'll probably buy a noble's (if I've sold my Jupiter's staff by then).

I was thinking of QSC or Kuftal for my skillups. I went up against the crabs yesterday getting my map (had coffer from XP PT). Got quite a few evasion skillups from them >_> They also helped with my timing on sleep.

---

And with that I'm out for the day.
 Ifrit.Elmodfz
Server: Ifrit
user: Elmodfz
By Ifrit.Elmodfz 2009-08-24 13:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I did Maat fight about a year ago before all the straps/repose and JA came out. I also cocked it up royally by forgetting most things but still won lol.

Went in lvl 70, eva/magic uncapped, my first maat fight so didnt know much except I had to stay alive for 5mins?

Went in, buffed up (RR too lol) put on my bat earrings, but forgot to blind myself for like 1min >.> then due to lag I ate a cookie instead of Shallops Tropicale (which is what you should use), so that all went wrong.

All the vids Id watched etc, they kept stoneskin up which I couldnt do, so I had to just let him hit me and pray to god I could cure myself. At one point he got me to about 76hp and I some how got Cure 5 off lol.

So my advice is make sure you have an earth staff on the whole fight, remember to blind yourself, and eat the right food! I think I used yag drinks too and maybe ethers but I cant remember. I didn't have a Nobles either at that point, so it was full whm AF lol.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-24 15:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember used a Tavnazian Taco for food (Def, VIT, MP, etc.).

Ethers take too long to use, but I did bring a few. Yagudo Drinks (or Melon Juice, same refresh, just less duration), Hi-Potions, Regen Drink (Persikos or Pamama Au Lait).

Echo Drops! (He can use Silence)

Try to self-cure as much as you can and save the HP meds for when you are in a rush and can't seem to get a spell off.

Don't forget to make full use of Divine Seal + Cure 4, and also Benediction (Clears statuses, too) for massive Cures.

Make sure you have SS, Haste, and Blink up before you go in, as well as AQUAVEIL!

Yes, it's an often forgotten spell, but it might just save your tail.

Otherwise, Earth Staff and Defense are probably the way to go for everywhere else that you don't have MP, or once that MP is used up. Phalanx Rings (10 Def each, and quite possibly you can augment one and get something nice) once your MP from Tamas/Ether/Electrum/Serket is used up.

When you do the MP > HP swap, don't waste more MP to fill up, that's a good time for some potions.

You can try to practice dropping and recasting Stoneskin on crabs/beetles (Drop old SS around 45% casting for a fairly seamless transition), but know that your SS won't hold up too long against Maat (maybe 3-6 hits depending on criticals).

Fortunately, WHM tests are very easy to get, so if you need another one, just go to Terrigan and camp the Alchemist that pops behind the OP or the 2 on the ramp to the north headed to Garuda. They are 5 minute repops and the drop rate is good.
 Bahamut.Citag
Server: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-08-24 15:39:35
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

If its already been said I apologize, got lazy backreading, what about the crow gear? thats a ton of eva gear right there.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-24 20:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM Evasion sucks (E Skill). I watched a video with someone with a massive evasion setup and still only got missed a few times. It's really not worth it when you can stack MP, DEF and other stuff a lot easier and be effective.
 Valefor.Usul
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Usul 2009-08-24 21:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you could just repose him and never get swung at either...
 Siren.Evilunknown
Server: Siren
user: EvilLarrE
By Siren.Evilunknown 2009-08-24 21:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it at 66 pre repose because he don't have asuran fists then xD

Wife did it recently with repose and it worked like a charm :)
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 07:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I got about 20 divine levels yesterday prior to CoP. I'm not going to take it all the way to cap (though I probably should), but I am going to get it over 200 (caps at 230 at 67).

Not going to make a run like I said today, because I'm helping out another CoP group with promies. I also want to get more divine skillups. Gf needs to get her THF up so it's not a gimp sub anymore. Bah, so many things to do.
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
Server: Seraph
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2009-08-25 07:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i did whm maat fight on old character a while ago..think nobles was around 3mil at the time so i couldnt afford one..i just brung like 20 hi pots n borrowed a friends earth staff..oh and some bat earrings...buffed up before engaging...went in and let him pound away on me...spammed hi pots til i ran out then i let him get me down to red or close to it*risky* then i two houred ..cured myself til he gave up..think i cured myself maybe 4-6 times before he gave up
 Valefor.Bloodoath
Server: Valefor
user: bloodoath
By Valefor.Bloodoath 2009-08-25 08:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I did my WHM Maat fight a few years back before Repose etc. My basic strategy was to just him beat on me while I kept myself alive, I ended up going like 1/5 due to some unfortunately timed Double Attacks and WS by Maat and running out of MP.

You don't really need any fancy gear. I've used the Bat Earrings + Blind Potions but they don't really help at all. All I had was my AF and an earth staff basically and I was able to win with just a couple of Yag drinks.

If you already plan on being a WHM main, I would suggest getting that Nobles and level up to 68 as it would help out tremendously. Another benefit of level 68 is Shell IV which will add a little bit more magic defense.

You definitely should have an Earth/Terra Staff. Another nice piece is an Cheviot Cape or HQ Umbra Cape (not necessary) as that would boost your -DMG very nicely. There's a Patronus Ring as well which is obtained from Campaign Battles (Starlight Medal) that would add another -2% and the Jelly Ring -5% (just make sure to remove it when he casts magic) totaling -32%/-33% (-37%/-39% at night.) All of that is a little bit crazy though, I would just stick with the Earth/Terra Staff.

You should definitely bring the following Meds: 3 Yagudo Drinks, 1 Tav. Taco, 5 Hi-Potions, 2-3 Echo Potions, and one Vile Elixir +1.

Strategy:

-If you are certain Maat doesn't have Blink up, I would spam Flash every time it is ready; 25mp for flash can make him miss 2-3 hits or possibly a WS and each hit would probably be 75-125 dmg I'm guessing and what could you cure for with that 25mp instead? One Cure II for roughly 125hp? I think it's mp well spent.

-You need to anticipate his attack and start casting cure on yourself right when he's about to hit you that way it will not get interrupted and have adequate time to complete before his next attack. Also, try to time cures for when he is using magic for whatever purpose be it to enfeeble you, dmg you or buff himself.

-Be aware that Maat will probably try to enfeeble you as well, so be prepared to use Paralyna & Erase with macros for Paralyze, Slow (effects recast on magic) and Dia (he will spam Dia/II/ga/gaII quite a bit which lowers your defense.)

-I wouldn't bother meleeing as I'm not sure if Maat counter-attacks or not, and you also don't have any natural Parrying skill to help you out.

-Don't forget to use Afflatus Solace for your Stoneskin-Cures; Every little bit helps!

-Whenever you are not in dire need of a Cure, try to get a Regen spell off; they are very good on MP and restore a good amount of HP over time.

Battle Prep:

I would suggest getting your magic skills near cap, the easiest way to do this is Besiged. Just cure-bomb the generals and you will get lots of skill ups, far more than what I got trying to cure undead. Divine you'll have to spam banish and flash on mobs, easy enough.

GOOD LUCK!
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-25 08:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Krizz said:
I got about 20 divine levels yesterday prior to CoP. I'm not going to take it all the way to cap (though I probably should), but I am going to get it over 200 (caps at 230 at 67).

Not going to make a run like I said today, because I'm helping out another CoP group with promies. I also want to get more divine skillups. Gf needs to get her THF up so it's not a gimp sub anymore. Bah, so many things to do.

Dude, just go for it.
I'll gladly farm another testimony for you if you somehow lose.
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-08-25 08:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

goblin alchemist in in kuftal drop em constantly, trust me i used to farm scrolls between manta's lol but ill help you 2 krizz, best advice i know of for whm is vile elixir +1
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-25 08:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Don't they drop off easy prey goblins in the cape? You can FoV your testimonies these days!

Yeah I got aggro from one when I was on Blu once (pre-75) and I solo'd it and BOOM! Testimony.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
Server: Carbuncle
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-08-25 09:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM was my first job and I needed a few tries.

I used Earth staff with crow gear for evasion. Then just cured as he hit me. took Vile Elixers didn't even need to use Benediction for I won.

Take items to remedy Silence and Paralyze they can lose the fight for you.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 09:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Don't they drop off easy prey goblins in the cape? You can FoV your testimonies these days!

yeah, the 75THF that was helping me started a FoV while waiting on me to make my way (don't have the OP yet). Test dropped on first mob. He completed FoV and since the day had changed did another. Was a nice 1.5k or so from all the mobs.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-25 11:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw you were going to skillup Divine Magic more...

Just from a long time WHM, know this.

My first magic skill to cap was Divine, then Enfeebling, then Enhancing (lot of that from tele-whoring) and the last one was Healing.

I had a static from 67-75 with a NIN and BRD, and we'd just grab 3 DDs, so since I was the only "enfeebler" not counting Chepi on NIN, that capped pretty easily. I used to use Magic Bursts to land my enfeebles, since WHM skill is way lower than RDM. Yeah, imagine that! And people said I was a good WHM...

I also used Flash religiously in parties once I started getting more -enmity in my gear (like from AF). I used it anytime I saw a NIN casting Ichi or a PLD having a hard time getting a cure off. For some reason Divine seems to skillup at a very fast pace. I think I was capped Divine within a few parties of hitting WHM 75.

Healing, on the other hand, you will take much longer to cap unless you cure enemies during Undead Swarm attacks. As you get higher, you use stronger cures less frequently, and since I have 5/5 Regen merits, I'm a Regen-***. 10/tick for 15 MP... Yes Please! I capped Healing after having been WHM 75 for well more than a year, with a cast of Raise III on someone after an Ix'Aern (MNK) battle.

Anyway, if you want to get that Divine up, you can probably get 5-10 levels of it out of a single EXP party and work your way toward 68 at the same time. Your tanks will love you for it, and just like on yourself, it saves MP in the long haul if you avoid the tank taking even one hit at the levels that you are at.

Not only does WHM 68 give you access to Noble's Tunic and Shell IV, but you also can use a Blue Cape for your Max MP Build (it's a lot cheaper alternative than other ways to get that much MP on your back).

I did Maat at WHM 68 for those three exact reasons. Oh, and since you have no subjob for the fight, /BLM so you have a free ride home afterward.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 11:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I always /BLM anyway. I'm too old school to switch to anything else for now. Despite my low levels, I've been playing since PS2 release. I just tend to take long breaks.

I've got so much crap going on (two groups of CoP (one finishing 2-5, one doing promies), 5-1/2 for gf, leveling her sub (which I'll duo WHM with so that'll help me), avatars) that it's going to be later in the week before I go fight Maat.

For divine skill yesterday I was spamming flash, banish, banish 2, and repose on mobs in Altepa. Gf was there tanking the mobs for me. Gained 15ish levels in a short period of time. Edit: I'm at 129/230 divine skill.

My enhancing skill is my highest right now. I spam barspells anytime I'm idling (i.e. airship rides).

Level syncing at 55+ lately has helped my healing skill go up quite a bit.

I also toss out at least a dia in XP PTs to help enfeebling skills. If there's no other enfeebler, I'll toss em all out (slow, paralyze, etc.).

I'm still way under cap, but that's only because I haven't dedicated the time to spamming spells and skilling up. I plan on correcting this in the near future.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 11:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

One other note, my Jupiters staff sold today. I'm going to buy a noble's this afternoon for when I ding.

I think I overlooked the blue cape when I was checking capes last night. It was late and post CoP so I'm not surprised. I'll check it out.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 11:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
I always thought it was Cure yourself for a certain amount or something. I didn't know it was survive an amount of time.

There's really no concrete evidence for curing yourself. Some people have cured 3k while others have cured 7k.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 11:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Krizz said:
Rowland said:
I always thought it was Cure yourself for a certain amount or something. I didn't know it was survive an amount of time.

There's really no concrete evidence for curing yourself. Some people have cured 3k while others have cured 7k.

Makes sense, I guess it all depends on the fastest time broken to be able to tell.

The problem with time is that people tend not to be able to keep track. It's supposed to be exactly 5 minutes. Some people think they go over that, but it's just poor timekeeping. Same for some that think lower. I'll check timestamps and cure totals after I win to see what conclusions I can come to.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-25 11:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Paralyze is the best MP per HP spell you have. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it procs even one time, for the 6 MP you spend, it saves you who knows how many MP in Cures.

I have met far too many WHM who refuse to Enfeeble because it's not their best skill. When I'd be in a traditional PLD/RDM/WHM + DD setup, I used to ask the RDM to let me handle some of the enfeebling so I could keep my skills good.

I think I capped Enhancing mostly from teleporting, but I know that I also got a lot of it soloing WHM/BLM and WHM/NIN. I did a majority of my Club skillup soloing, at least until over skill 200, and most of that was /BLM. It was what I grew up with, so it was what I grew to love.

I really love /RDM for soloing (/NIN is nice, too), and /PLD is actually a lot of fun too. /SAM with Kinkobo/Primate Staff + Pole Grip + Blessed gear + Turban + Haste + Hasso + Pamamas is pretty sick, too, but that's something that's more fun to mess around with like in Campaign or in a skillup party and not as much on your own.

I actually used to have a lot of Melee WHM stuff on my old blog, which I took down a while back, but it got searched a lot and were definitely among my most viewed posts consistently.

Anyway, there's a lot of good advice in the thread, and I'm sure that when you get around to facing Maat, you'll do fine. If not, just snag a new test. and do it again. I saved a test. later on so I could melee him when I hit 75 and capped Club. It was very gratifyting to go back and beat up the old man instead of just outlasting him.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 11:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
Paralyze is the best MP per HP spell you have. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it procs even one time, for the 6 MP you spend, it saves you who knows how many MP in Cures.

I have met far too many WHM who refuse to Enfeeble because it's not their best skill. When I'd be in a traditional PLD/RDM/WHM + DD setup, I used to ask the RDM to let me handle some of the enfeebling so I could keep my skills good.

I think I capped Enhancing mostly from teleporting, but I know that I also got a lot of it soloing WHM/BLM and WHM/NIN. I did a majority of my Club skillup soloing, at least until over skill 200, and most of that was /BLM. It was what I grew up with, so it was what I grew to love.

I really love /RDM for soloing (/NIN is nice, too), and /PLD is actually a lot of fun too. /SAM with Kinkobo/Primate Staff + Pole Grip + Blessed gear + Turban + Haste + Hasso + Pamamas is pretty sick, too, but that's something that's more fun to mess around with like in Campaign or in a skillup party and not as much on your own.

I actually used to have a lot of Melee WHM stuff on my old blog, which I took down a while back, but it got searched a lot and were definitely among my most viewed posts consistently.

Anyway, there's a lot of good advice in the thread, and I'm sure that when you get around to facing Maat, you'll do fine. If not, just snag a new test. and do it again. I saved a test. later on so I could melee him when I hit 75 and capped Club. It was very gratifyting to go back and beat up the old man instead of just outlasting him.

Yeah, I agree about paralyze. If my XP PT has a RDM, I'll cast the opposite enfeeb from them. i.e if they cast slow, I cast paralyze. Lately I've been getting COR / BRD instead of RDMs so that's given me more chances to enfeeb.

I always laugh when I tele and end up with a .3 enhancing skill up and another enhancing level. It just seems so random to me.

My gf laughs at me when I melee as WHM. I love my holy breastplate. used it from 40 to AF. I should sell it, but I just can't bring myself to part with it...
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-25 11:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

On Odin at least:

Blue Cape (Lv 68) = 10k
+15 MP, Convert 15 HP>MP

Intensifyiing Cape (Lv 60) = 180k
+30 HP, +30 MP

I had the Blue Cape for my MP build for a very long time, and really, until I started getting serious about a +HP build for a better Devotion, I didn't change it up.

Speaking of that, although it's a long ways off, if you get a chance to snag something sexy like a Bomb Queen Ring or Bloodbead Earring, definitely take it, even if you're "only a White Mage" at the time. There are a lot of cheap +HP pieces that you can get that can seriously boost your Devotion power later on (Root Sabots, Garden Bangles, RSE Belt/Rope, etc), but some of the other good ones are Rare/Ex or crazy expensive (Gigant Mantle).

Ashira on Odin used to have a Devotion set where she could push more than 400 MP (so 1600+ HP as a Mithra), but she also had top notch gear all over. Still, pushing 400 instead of 200 is a big difference.

I know that I like to be able to take a PLD that is completely bust on MP and fill them back to max in one shot (I think I had mine up to about a 350 MP push at its best), especially in a long fight like Jailer of Love.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 11:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
On Odin at least:

Blue Cape (Lv 68) = 10k
+15 MP, Convert 15 HP>MP

Intensifyiing Cape (Lv 60) = 180k
+30 HP, +30 MP

I had the Blue Cape for my MP build for a very long time, and really, until I started getting serious about a +HP build for a better Devotion, I didn't change it up.

Speaking of that, although it's a long ways off, if you get a chance to snag something sexy like a Bomb Queen Ring or Bloodbead Earring, definitely take it, even if you're "only a White Mage" at the time. There are a lot of cheap +HP pieces that you can get that can seriously boost your Devotion power later on (Root Sabots, Garden Bangles, RSE Belt/Rope, etc), but some of the other good ones are Rare/Ex or crazy expensive (Gigant Mantle).

Ashira on Odin used to have a Devotion set where she could push more than 400 MP (so 1600+ HP as a Mithra), but she also had top notch gear all over. Still, pushing 400 instead of 200 is a big difference.

I know that I like to be able to take a PLD that is completely bust on MP and fill them back to max in one shot (I think I had mine up to about a 350 MP push at its best), especially in a long fight like Jailer of Love.

Yeah, I've kinda made a mental list of gear to keep my eye out for. Once I hit 75 I'll focus more on that. Right now I'm basically just trying to get by. I'm logging in right now to buy my insomnia earring and noble's.

Any recommendations for earrings / rings? Both the 'best' and temp ones that can get me by?
 Garuda.Ishkur
Server: Garuda
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-08-25 11:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM's kinda forget that Flash exist... It's not only a enmity generating Tool.
for tanks the whm casting flash is pretty helpful... it means 2-3 misses so it's a window to recast shadows or cast a cure on yourself.
So for 25MP you'll save 3 hits which should be like 300 dmg total... it's pretty damn good. Has a high enmity price but it shouldn't be a problem unless you spam it.

Use that to lvl divine... I assure you a capped divine plus your native MND will make your flashes pretty damn awesome. And specially for Maat there you should cast it every 30 secs, assuming you are smart enough to haste yourself for the fight.

And to cap divine just use flash at the middle of exp fights... you shouldn't take hate... and cast another at the end...

Edit:
Since flash, normally, can't be fully resited... it'll skill up pretty fast.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-25 12:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Got insomnia earring and noble's tunic. There goes 279k of my just earned 650k