WHM Maat Fight
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 10:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'm going to try it tomorrow afternoon. I have CoP tonight.

Hopefully I can get enough XP campaigning to ding 68 prior to going.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 10:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Raptor Strap +1 or Bugard Strap +1?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-24 10:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's obvious for a Whm.
Both have same MP.
One has +1 more Mnd and +HP (good for future merit on Devotion, but you'll probably have a Staff Strap by then).

USE TEH MIND, KRIZZ. Whm doesn't need Int/Chr for ***.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 10:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Well that's obvious for a Whm.
Both have same MP.
One has +1 more Mnd and +HP (good for future merit on Devotion, but you'll probably have a Staff Strap by then).

USE TEH MIND, KRIZZ. Whm doesn't need Int/Chr for ***.

Well I was thinking for this fight in particular. Not sure if anything uses Int on WHM.
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-08-24 10:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Get to level 70, every level helps because regardless of your level Maat is 75.

Macro your drinks, Benediction, Divine Seal, gear, spells. You wont have time to go through the item list while he's beating you down (most of the time).

Once you feel your ready, head to Pashhow Marshlands (S) and sign into campaign - try and survive 5 minutes vs the Ruby Quadav... If you can survive that you should be ready to give Maat a try. The Ruby is a RDM so it's a bit different but its a fun challenge that doesn't cost a test to try things out before doing the real fight.

You'll be fine! Just be prepared (and capped). ^^
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 10:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather ask a question and sound stupid than not ask a question and be stupid.

Jile said:

Macro your drinks, Benediction, Divine Seal, gear, spells. You wont have time to go through the item list while he's beating you down (most of the time).

Once you feel your ready, head to Pashhow Marshlands (S) and sign into campaign - try and survive 5 minutes vs the Ruby Quadav... If you can survive that you should be ready to give Maat a try. The Ruby is a RDM so it's a bit different but its a fun challenge that doesn't cost a test to try things out before doing the real fight.

That's an interesting method. I might have to give it a try.
 Asura.Riddick
Server: Asura
user: Riddick
By Asura.Riddick 2009-08-24 11:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jile said:

Everything I know about Maat and I know a little he caps at 70. If you want to fight him at 75 he is 70. Unless whm is different.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-24 11:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah he's Lv70, not 75. If he had Lv75 stats I think we'd all lose, lol.
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-08-24 11:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Yeah he's Lv70, not 75. If he had Lv75 stats I think we'd all lose, lol.

(Edited a few times lol, I'm at work >.>)

I'd swear as a 70RDM maat cast Thunder3 on me, which is a 75 spell.... >.< It hurt >.>

SE's been known to do one thing and change it a week later in an "emergency update" so perhaps I was just unfortunate during my G5 lol.

Just be glad you picked WHM as your 1st Maat fight instead of Elvaan RDM like I did lol.
 Siren.Kytio
Server: Siren
user: Kytio
By Siren.Kytio 2009-08-24 11:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I beat Maat on 66 WHM using Repose 3 times with capped Divine Magic Skill, af legs and a Divine Torque. Pull him with Banishga to remove his potential Blink but still not inflict a DoT (DON'T USE DIAGA lol). Then immediately use Repose. He will fall asleep for 1.5 mins. Run back to the entrance of the battlefield and reapply stoneskin/blink if he hit you. Wait for him to come and repeat.

The disclaimer about Maat being resistant was there before I won using this strategy so I'd say you should disregard it. Here is my video of the fight if you want to see the Repose-strat in action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZHsNOOGoQ
[+]
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-08-24 11:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Staff Strap is awesome too...

But for Maat fight, use Raptor. It has HP for your HP build and MP for... MP build. ._.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 11:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, I just don't like the 70k price. Can't afford it until some stuff sells. Got a raptor earlier so I'll be using it.
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-24 11:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Level PLD to 50, then go let Maat beat on you while you self-cure and keep yourself alive.

Pretty much that's what you're doing if you fight Maat this way (I did mine WAY before Repose existed). Bring HP/MP drinks, Medicines, DMG Reduction gear (Earth Staff, Phalanx Ring, Unyielding Ring, etc.), and whatever else you might think you need.

Macro EVERYTHING.

Do a dry run of your macros including buffing, resting MP, and gear swaps. See how long it takes to do everything and have a plan of attack.

Watch videos of other peoples' fights on YouTube.

Practice, practice, practice.

Then, when you actually go in and fight him, it will be a piece of cake and you will feel like you overprepared.

Oh, and Flash is your friend! It can help you get off a cure when you need it.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 11:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
Level PLD to 50

I'm not leveling PLD all the way to 50 just for this. That's way too much time.

I'm going to skill up divine / evasion and go for it.
 Valefor.Usul
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Usul 2009-08-24 12:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Use the Repose strategy. I went 1/1 w/ uncapped divine skill and only af pants for skill at 66. I see no reason to do it the hard way when you have repose at your disposal, if you want a challenge fight him after you beat him again. No reason to make things harder than they have to be.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 12:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Usul said:
Use the Repose strategy. I went 1/1 w/ uncapped divine skill and only af pants for skill at 66. I see no reason to do it the hard way when you have repose at your disposal, if you want a challenge fight him after you beat him again. No reason to make things harder than they have to be.

I'm thinking a combination of the repose strat and tanking strat. I'll have gear setup for evasion. Start off with repose strat. If things go bad, I'll hopefully still be able to tough it out.
 Valefor.Usul
By Valefor.Usul 2009-08-24 12:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I had 1 resist since I didn't have Apollo staff at the time and only a nq Light staff. Just cap your skill and go all out repose, half-assing it will lead to failure. It's one way or the other really. If you get a resist then kite him until repose is up again, and when it is wait for him to cast something and then sleep him or time it. You shouldn't take too much dmg between resist to recast time so don't worry too much about tanking him, just kite and recast (You can always bene if you get 2 resist in a row, but he is rather easy to sleep so you shouldn't even get 1 resist).

I've helped 2 friends beat him on WHM using this strat and it's yet to fail me, I loaned both my Apollo staff for the fight, so if you know anyone that can loan you one that would help a lot, if not light staff works fine. Gear for divine skill/light macc/mnd gear first then worry about all the defensive stuff.
 Seraph.Yvan
Server: Seraph
user: yvan
By Seraph.Yvan 2009-08-24 12:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

When i did mine i just put on my earth staff along with my af , and bought a hi-potion tank. Cured myself a couple times but mostly just spammed hi-potions until it was over, towards the end i didnt even bother trying to move i just stood there and smashed my hi-potion macro
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 12:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Usul said:
I had 1 resist since I didn't have Apollo staff at the time and only a nq Light staff. Just cap your skill and go all out repose, half-assing it will lead to failure. It's one way or the other really. If you get a resist then kite him until repose is up again, and when it is wait for him to cast something and then sleep him or time it. You shouldn't take too much dmg between resist to recast time so don't worry too much about tanking him, just kite and recast (You can always bene if you get 2 resist in a row, but he is rather easy to sleep so you shouldn't even get 1 resist).

I've helped 2 friends beat him on WHM using this strat and it's yet to fail me, I loaned both my Apollo staff for the fight, so if you know anyone that can loan you one that would help a lot, if not light staff works fine. Gear for divine skill/light macc/mnd gear first then worry about all the defensive stuff.

Did I say I was going to half-*** it? you can do both. after you've cast a few spells, what good are the earrings? switch them out for the bat earrings for the evasion. switch in the emp hairpin.

Unless some piece of gear conflicts with a piece needed for the repose setup, it's not half-assing.
 Valefor.Usul
By Valefor.Usul 2009-08-24 12:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Krizz said:
Did I say I was going to half-*** it? you can do both. after you've cast a few spells, what good are the earrings? switch them out for the bat earrings for the evasion. switch in the emp hairpin.

Unless some piece of gear conflicts with a piece needed for the repose setup, it's not half-assing.
You can get mnd in about every slot, if you're going all out for macc to land repose then you're not going to get a resist as long as you're not going in on Darksday. That other gear you're putting on is just a waste of gil. With the repose strategy you need no meds/items/additional gear.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 12:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Usul said:
You can get mnd in about every slot, if you're going all out for macc to land repose then you're not going to get a resist as long as you're not going in on Darksday. That other gear you're putting on is just a waste of gil. With the repose strategy you need no meds/items/additional gear.

I'm not wasting gil. Any gear I buy will be because I need it for XP parties. Any other gear needed will be borrowed. Any hi-pots I use will be from my alchemy crafting. I still have some in stock. I have yag drinks in stock still from CoP (which I made myself). I have cookies from XPing. If I don't have the mnd gear for the slot, what else am I going to use? You want me to waste gil on that gear?

What if I'm one of the unlucky ones that gets one repose out and have to kite the rest of the fight? I don't want to be completely unprepared for that possibility.
 Valefor.Usul
By Valefor.Usul 2009-08-24 12:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Whm maat is one of the easiest Maat fights there is, you only need 3 reposes usually to win the fight. I've yet to hear anyone with capped skill and light staff/af legs getting more than 1 resist. If you happen to get 1, it's easily kited even if you were naked for the next cast. Go in any day but Darksday and it's a sure win, only reason you could fail is if you mess up your macros.

I was just trying to prevent you from wasting gil and time getting all those extra resources. If you want to waste gil that's your call.

If you do the repose strategy, after you win you'll see what a joke Whm maat is now and see why I said it was a waste to do any additional effort.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 13:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
I might have some gear you can use, lemme know what slots and I can double check. My whm is only 42 so don't expect much, and I usually gear my rdm towards INT or MP

Oh come on, Row. You should know you're at the top of my 'to bug' list when I need something.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 13:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
That's just because Urial is always fishing angel skins.

I'm usually in an event or sitting in my mog house. You have a 50/50 chance

Actually, I've only talked to Urial twice in game.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 13:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
I was going to mention more, but I really have no idea where those other guys are. Besides Kiri never being on at a decent hour.

And your girlfriend calls me girl scout ._.

lol, yeah. Cause of your gear. If it bothers you I'll let her know =P
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-24 13:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lol Row