PLD relic/mythic/emp discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-10 11:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with Dusty Wings and AM3 is this: Mythic AM3 does not overwrite itself. As such, you won't realistically refresh AM3 every time you get a Dusty Wing back. This leads to a choice: either hold your Dusty Wing and potentially sacrifice WS frequency (much as you would without said item), or pop wings freely and hope you get one relatively close to when aftermath wears (potentially requiring you to build TP).

Thankfully you don't lose too much in practice by saving your Dusty Wings. In the time it takes you to open your items menu, find it, and use it, you probably would have gotten most of the necessary TP for a WS anyway.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-10 11:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a good point. Well, even occasionally getting instant AM3 is better than having to build it up every time. So I'd still see Burtgang being more potent in VWNM than elsewhere.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-10 13:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My AM3 vorpals are pretty comparable to the CDCs from my fellow Almace Plds on most VWNMs. Even though the first atonement is only 450ish damage, the next 4-6 WSs are a good deal higher. I do typically save my TP wings til the AM3 wears, as with OA2-3, marches, haste, and capped haste gear, it takes a very short amount of time to get to 100tp again, thus using the wings while AM3 is up most likely just costs me DoT.

Excal probably beats it in total DoT, but has the down side of not adding to your enmity via damage, or to your survivability.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-10 13:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds pretty good. Now if only it wasn't such a *** to get... ><;

I wonder if we'll get new WS at 99? If we did, and the sword ws was better than vorpal, it'd be a boost for Burtgang.
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-10 17:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Honorbound or ->

Y'all *** don't know nothin bout my enlights
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-10 17:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Dear god I need a new sword ._.;
[+]
By cosmolaris 2011-11-29 14:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

So with the introduction of the new WS do you think Excalibur will reign king again?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [90 days between previous and next post]
By Blazed1979 2012-02-27 03:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't worked on my PLD in some time - think its been a year since I got my ochain 90. It kinda bugs me that my favourite job has no place in anything anymore, unless its soloing harder content.

I've been thinking about getting excalibur. Just because I want to work on my PLD and polish it up a bit. But with almace, Will I really benefit from this sword?

I'm contemplating doing Burtgang - but that's a much bigger decision.

I've been disappointed with pretty much every weapon I've attained except apoc. (don't bother checking my ffxiah gear status, for some reason it refuses to add my other emps and achievements)

I don't want to invest the time and effort required for a Mythic unless I'm going to be Fus Ro Dah'ing ***.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-02-27 03:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You're much better off using Almace in almost any situation.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [134 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Zumi
Server: Phoenix
user: Zumi
By Phoenix.Zumi 2012-07-09 19:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an Excalibur 95 and an Almace 90.

Which is the better investment to make a 99
210m Plates/riftcinder for Almace 99
70m for marrow for Excalibur 99
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-07-09 19:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace, but that isn't saying much. PLD's use, if it can even be called such, is limited to holding. Pricking secondary targets with a pin while everyone else goes about their business is a pretty irrelevant contribution to be spending any large sum of Gil on.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-09 19:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace, can at least be used on BLU.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-07-09 19:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

buy a kraken club with tp bonus dagger and swap them in when fanatic's drink is up. Spam some AE on mobs to keep hate. :D
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-07-09 20:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhh, what?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-07-09 20:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said: »
Uhhh, what?
Right ?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-08-09 14:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro:

I'm going to finish off my PLD. (not much else to do)

I was sold on 90Almace/99Aegis but after playing with the DPS Calc, Excal99 seems to be equal to 90+ Almace and its much less annoying to get.

KotR also gets aweful reviews but the mods don't seem terrible after the 40% buff at 99.

I'll probably end up with both since I've already started on Almace. I am just trying to wrap my head around why Excal is so bad in comparison. 40att is a bid deal for PLD, OD2.5, hidden effect and a 40% boost to a 3.0 single hit WS with STR/MND mods.
 Bismarck.Aerison
Server: Bismarck
user: Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2012-08-09 14:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld being relegated to a holding job makes either sword lack luster imo, burtgang being the exception for obvious reasons.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-08-09 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So much necro.

Burtgang sucks. There, I said it. Now I'm going to go say something else.
 Bahamut.Oakozric
Server: Bahamut
user: Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2012-09-07 23:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
Necro:

I'm going to finish off my PLD. (not much else to do)

I was sold on 90Almace/99Aegis but after playing with the DPS Calc, Excal99 seems to be equal to 90+ Almace and its much less annoying to get.

KotR also gets aweful reviews but the mods don't seem terrible after the 40% buff at 99.

I'll probably end up with both since I've already started on Almace. I am just trying to wrap my head around why Excal is so bad in comparison. 40att is a bid deal for PLD, OD2.5, hidden effect and a 40% boost to a 3.0 single hit WS with STR/MND mods.

I agree, this is the same reasoning I stopped Almace at 85 and switched to Excalibur - it's a better sword for pld all around IMO. I get my 75 Excalibur next week when NPC timers are over!
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2012-09-08 00:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I am just trying to wrap my head around why Excal is so bad in comparison.

Pre-Requiescat, this was certainly true, and no one pays enough attention to PLD to notice it's not really anymore. Excal is a vastly superior Req sword with all the attack (req's big problem, and PLD's problem in general). Plus, it's easier to get to 99. Aerison's point is pretty spot on, though. If you aren't even drawing the weapon, you might as well go get a PDT or MDB sword for all the good it'll do.
 Cerberus.Funond
user: Funond
By Cerberus.Funond 2012-09-08 01:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

sadly I want 20 mins of my life back for reading pages 2-9, for the OP long ago:

Almace shines the shorter the fight / more procs (related events)
Longer the fight / lower man is where excal & Requi will pull ahead
Burt it a very shiney trophy until atonement resists get bypassed

I apologize for typing atm but have a sick toddler on left arm sleeping so this is a cliff-notes version. Taint has multibox & windowed capabilities and pretty much guaranteed no merits for sword, he would probably benefit most from an almace (cost being no object considering "not much else to do")

side note concerning the kotr ws set my cocktail napkin has -1str & 3 att beating -3 mnd on a 40% str/mnd mod but its a quarter to 3am and I am cranky so I could just be nitpicking
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2012-09-08 03:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Funond said: »
sadly I want 20 mins of my life back for reading pages 2-9, for the OP long ago:

Almace shines the shorter the fight / more procs (related events)
Longer the fight / lower man is where excal & Requi will pull ahead
Burt it a very shiney trophy until atonement resists get bypassed

I apologize for typing atm but have a sick toddler on left arm sleeping so this is a cliff-notes version. Taint has multibox & windowed capabilities and pretty much guaranteed no merits for sword, he would probably benefit most from an almace (cost being no object considering "not much else to do")

side note concerning the kotr ws set my cocktail napkin has -1str & 3 att beating -3 mnd on a 40% str/mnd mod but its a quarter to 3am and I am cranky so I could just be nitpicking

i thought Burtgang* pulled ahead as long as you keep up am3?

granted a pld keeping on am3 fulltime is probably not the easiest thing to do, but with an ochain i could see it doable.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-11 11:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Enlight cancel out Excal's HP proc?

Thanks for the info so far.
 Asura.Kese
Server: Asura
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2012-09-11 11:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Enlight cancel out Excal's HP proc?

Thanks for the info so far.
yeah it does. making it quite nice when doing trials if you are having trouble w/ proc killing mobs at low %
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2012-09-11 12:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kese said: »
yeah it does. making it quite necessary

ftfy

Seriously, that stupid effect never goes off when it's useful, but man, come trial time, WOO LET'S DO SOME DAMAGE
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-09-11 12:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I might end up jumping ship on Apoc and doin' Excal for PLD instead. I'll probably be much better compelled to finish something I'll use every time I'm on the job, my DRK has enough toys.

Thanks for the tip on Enlight negating the HP damage proc, for the good and the bad of it...
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2012-09-11 12:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

People really do understimate Excal(99), it has A LOT of potential. +40% Kor dmg boost, +40 attack, str/int mods, "increases weaponskill damage gear" and to top it all off the additional effect. Best sword in the game now, mark my words.
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-09-11 12:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Must be nice having diabolos alone to farm dyna lol.
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-09-11 12:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind fTP bumps from Mekira head and belt/gorget are affected by the 40% bonus too.

Siren.Fupafighters said: »
Must be nice having diabolos alone to farm dyna lol.
Would be gorram amazing.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-11 12:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Excal TP what do you think?

First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12