PLD relic/mythic/emp discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12
 Phoenix.Lucasta
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: lucasta
By Phoenix.Lucasta 2011-10-06 10:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i am working on excalabur and am nearly done (the attestation nm is still cockblocking me). Id would like to hear from some actual relic owners on this debate.

all of the Relic bashing by almace owners is cool and all but is there someone who has both and can legitimately claim the pros and cons? all i ever really hear is how much emp weapons pwn relics but im sure alot of that is hot air from tunnel-vision emp weapon holders who have no idea how a relic weapon performs beyond its item box help text.
[+]
 Asura.Niloc
Server: Asura
user: Niloc
By Asura.Niloc 2011-10-06 10:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of our PLDs at Voidwatch events complain that they have added straight up resistance to Atonement to a lot of the NMs there, so spamming 950~ damage atonements is out of the question when the majority of mobs have damage reduction against it.
 Lakshmi.Awsome
Server: Lakshmi
user: Awsome
By Lakshmi.Awsome 2011-10-06 11:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lucasta said: »
i am working on excalabur and am nearly done (the attestation nm is still cockblocking me). Id would like to hear from some actual relic owners on this debate.

all of the Relic bashing by almace owners is cool and all but is there someone who has both and can legitimately claim the pros and cons? all i ever really hear is how much emp weapons pwn relics but im sure alot of that is hot air from tunnel-vision emp weapon holders who have no idea how a relic weapon performs beyond its item box help text.

Nice man, i too would like to hear more from actual owners of multiple weapons on which they prefer.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 11:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just get an Almace cuz it's easy yo.
Can use the time you waste making a Excal to make an Aegis (A shield for PLD!? No!)
However, if your close to Burtgang then by all means, 66% PDT along with the enmity assists it provides make it the best Sword imo.
lolpldddetc
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2011-10-06 11:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Non-Attributable damage/hate is pretty much only useful if you're 3 manning ***WHM/BRD/PLD, otherwise you just need to do enough to keep yourself capped and that is easily maintained with Almace.
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-06 13:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip: you don't need to have both to legitimately demonstrate the pros and cons
[+]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-10-06 13:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dodu said: »

Protip: you don't need to have both to legitimately demonstrate the pros and cons

I do agree with you but sometimes it doesn't work out the same as the utopian paper world. You know, the place were no stuns get resisted and no one pulls hate etc.

Since you seem to be in the know can you give us details on what kind of reduction on Excal procs we can expect to see on t3 zilart/Jeuno?
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-06 13:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you mean 'DPS'? Generally speaking, Almace is significantly better than Excalibur. Higher ODD, and a serious jump in WS damage. Excalibur may overtake it in extremely unfavorable pDIF situations, but pure damage-wise, that's as far as it goes.

The only exception, which is arguably a big deal, is VW, because the chances of a sword proc are fairly high, and that means Almace goes to ***while attempting to proc.

Burtgang is for.. Uh.. I suppose it has utility in dangerous situations while using Aegis, or when Atonement is your best option. Otherwise its still so-so(although significantly better than at 75). It has no purpose if you're using Ochain.

PLD is pretty much ***, because all weapons/shields have uses, and you'd ideally have every last one of them.

Not sure what about this screams 'Utopian Paper World'

Excal procs are just slashing damage, so anything that would reduce/mitigate that would subsequently do the same to Excal
 Phoenix.Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-10-06 13:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just commenting and not referring to any specific post.
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-10-06 13:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Niloc said: »
A lot of our PLDs at Voidwatch events complain that they have added straight up resistance to Atonement to a lot of the NMs there, so spamming 950~ damage atonements is out of the question when the majority of mobs have damage reduction against it.

yea with high hate it appears as though it gets a 50% reduction on most, if not all vwnms. which is sad, because i really like the ws.
i see a lot of 360-375 dmg atonements. then again im just eyeballing. some were even 280ish, im guessing not capped hate situations or even more than 50% resist.

not too sure how far Quiznor is from finishing his burtgang, but i would like to see some tests with it on vwnms. im sure he plans on doing it anyway. or anyone else who has a 90-95 burtgang for that matter. so curious about the atonement dmg.
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2011-10-06 13:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zellc said: »
yea with high hate it appears as though it gets a 50% reduction on most, if not all vwnms. which is sad, because i really like the ws. i see a lot of 360-375 dmg atonements. then again im just eyeballing. some were even 280ish, im guessing not capped hate situations or even more than 50% resist. not too sure how far Quiznor is from finishing his burtgang, but i would like to see some tests with it on vwnms. im sure he plans on doing it anyway. or anyone else who has a 90-95 burtgang for that matter. so curious about the atonement dmg.
Burtgang doesn't fix Atonement's nerf sadly. It still does piss poor dmg on any/all NM's in voidwatch from what I've seen. less than 400 on Voidwrought, Hahava, etc.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-06 14:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zellc said: »

yea with high hate it appears as though it gets a 50% reduction on most, if not all vwnms. which is sad, because i really like the ws.
i see a lot of 360-375 dmg atonements. then again im just eyeballing. some were even 280ish, im guessing not capped hate situations or even more than 50% resist.

not too sure how far Quiznor is from finishing his burtgang, but i would like to see some tests with it on vwnms. im sure he plans on doing it anyway. or anyone else who has a 90-95 burtgang for that matter. so curious about the atonement dmg.

Atonement is just a damage type, higher Burtgang levels won't circumvent resistances.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-06 15:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gustavve said: »

I do agree with you but sometimes it doesn't work out the same as the utopian paper world. You know, the place were no stuns get resisted and no one pulls hate etc.

Since you seem to be in the know can you give us details on what kind of reduction on Excal procs we can expect to see on t3 zilart/Jeuno?
I swear this argument gets more annoying every time I see it. What makes you think good theorycrafters don't account for those situations?
 Phoenix.Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-10-06 15:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
I swear this argument gets more annoying every time I see it. What makes you think good theorycrafters don't account for those situations?

I said I agreed with Tsuko on the not needing the weapon to reflect on the pro's and con's, but you can use numbers and hypothetical situations that could play totally different in practicality. And I'm not just talking about 3 swords that make little to no difference between them throughout a fight.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-06 15:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I said I agreed with Tsuko on the not needing the weapon to reflect on the pro's and con's, but you can use numbers and hypothetical situations that could play totally different in practicality. And I'm not just talking about 3 swords that make little to no difference between them throughout a fight.
You can, but part of effective theorycrafting is understanding the situations you're applying theory to. Accounting for things like hits taken, overTPing, DT swaps affecting your potential rounds/ws and TP/hit, not being able to constantly reactivate aftermath (something I've had a lot of incentive to bear in mind as I balance melee and spell damage on BLU), and special mob mechanics all go towards constructing models that are more accurate models than just looking at TP/WS sets and assuming that's all you'll ever wear. Are they still just models? Yes, but very good ones.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 15:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This feels so dumb to talk about >.>;
Wut's the point of comparing Excal to Almace ?
Since the additional effect doesn't even count towards hate who cares if it gets reduced in the t3 jeuno/zilart VW.
Looking at your post Gustavve . .

I don't see how having Excal proc any less is gonna help you with either of those. Only thing that puts one sword about the others is the reduces enmity lost and enmity+16 on Burtgang. PLD is about getting hate and keeping it, not DPS :/
Good use of the word etc tho.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-06 15:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Did we just time warp back to people adamantly declaring gearing for Atonement output was not part of being a PLD?

A PLD is responsible for contributing whatever they can to the fight, and that damn well includes damage.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-06 15:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Xque said: »
I'm honestly curious how alamce can out pace a 95 excal with the 25% ws boost the 2.5 hidden dmg boost and the excal procs.

I know the excal procs don't generate hate but the ws boost, the 2.5 boost and the procs surely must give it a pure dps edge, of course i could be wrong i don't own neither weapon but i'm curious.

Its fairly simple. The WS being boosted isn't very good.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-06 15:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Did we just time warp back to people adamantly declaring gearing for Atonement output was not part of being a PLD?

A PLD is responsible for contributing whatever they can to the fight, and that damn well includes damage.
This. Killspeed also has defensive benefits after a fashion since shorter fights = less time for things to go wrong.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 15:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Woah woah buddy. Your putting a lot on a PLD's shoulders D:
PLD shouldn't need to do everything if the support around it is on par. The PLD's job is to keep hate and not let the DD's die. I don't see where this is hard to understand lol. Extra dmg here and there from the PLD is nice but he shouldn't be focused on being a DD. It's not like Burtgang doesn't do dmg o.o;
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 16:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This. Killspeed also has defensive benefits after a fashion since shorter fights = less time for things to go wrong.
It can also contribute to not getting all your procs sometimes :/
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-06 16:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with PLDs nowadays is that no matter what fancy enmity boosting Ja they use, the best way for them to hold hate against other DDs or Nuke happy DDs is to increase their own damage as well, unless of course they're like, soloing or duoing.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-06 16:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Haxetc said: »

It can also contribute to not getting all your procs sometimes :/
That's a problem with your procers, not your PLD.

Woah woah buddy. Your putting a lot on a PLD's shoulders D:
PLD shouldn't need to do everything if the support around it is on par. The PLD's job is to keep hate and not let the DD's die. I don't see where this is hard to understand lol. Extra dmg here and there from the PLD is nice but he shouldn't be focused on being a DD. It's not like Burtgang doesn't do dmg o.o;
Why not? You're not a hair's breadth from wiping every second, if the mob isn't doing something lethal there's no harm in increasing your output a bit. Further, additional damage mitigation has to actually give you an advantage to be considered a benefit. This is not always the case.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 16:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The way you guys put it. You might as well just bring an actually DD instead of a PLD >.>;
 Asura.Revear
user: Datian
By Asura.Revear 2011-10-06 16:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL Haxe u are the best pld HOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
Hrotti where!?!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2011-10-06 16:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The way you guys put it. You might as well just bring an actually DD instead of a PLD >.>;
if DD's could wear Aegis or Ochain they probably would.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 16:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Revear said: »
LOL Haxe u are the best pld HOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
Hrotti where!?!
; ; gimp PLD is gimp . .
[+]
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 16:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Aeonknight said: »
if DD's could wear Aegis or Ochain they probably would.
So your saying you need an Aegis or Ochain to tank these mobs ?
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-10-06 16:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I fail to see how you guys think that just because Atonement isn't CDC or that you don't get a 400dmg add effect that your gonna fail a VW. If that is the case. Maybe you should focus on gearing your DD's instead of making a sword for your PLD.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12