Jobs Been Gimped?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Jobs been gimped?
Jobs been gimped?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fairy.Divinedragon
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
By Fairy.Divinedragon 2009-04-09 10:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the point in SE having a test server if they dont test the updates properly?
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
Server: Carbuncle
user: Majora
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2009-04-09 10:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Test server means seeing if system runs stable, no bigger problems as games glitches

Not like they paying people for actually playing there as 100k+ players ever could... so we have to find the bugs, report them and watchem get fixed~ thats how it works, every other thing is pure illusion... they never will employ 100+ ppl just for testing something that the community can when its finally out
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-04-09 10:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Not true a test server is there to check for all errors prior to any updates going live, all code should be compared to the original regardless of how long it would take.

If SE dont inspect all the code its just lazy and bad practice
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-09 10:22:33
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Scizor said:
Not true a test server is there to check for all errors prior to any updates going live, all code should be compared to the original regardless of how long it would take.

essentially you can convert a regular server into a test server (ex. Ramuh)

you release the update to ramuh onry then ask players to report any problems (while they check the code and stability) then when satisfied release to the general public.

But SE like being sneaky with stuff and it cant really ninjer in some updates like it usually does.

but wtv
 Pandemonium.Mattr
Server: Pandemonium
user: mattr
By Pandemonium.Mattr 2009-04-09 10:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

yes i agree some of the errors are weird, why on earth that was effected, but it obviously was somehow. and i dont know how many of you are programmers, but if your telling me the ones of you who are, have never released anything with bugs, your lieing to yourselves, even with tons of testing, some things will slip through the cracks, and checking every single thing in the game every update would be a complete waste of resources and money, you would either need to hire loads of new people each time, or it would take forever to get the updates out, id rather they do it this way, the problems are noticed in hours and fixed alot quicker
 Ramuh.Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-04-09 10:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:
Scizor said:

you release the update to ramuh onry then ask players to report any problems (while they check the code and stability) then when satisfied release to the general public.

But SE like being sneaky with stuff and it cant really ninjer in some updates like it usually does.

but wtv

This is true, but Atomos is supposed to be used for testing and bug checking. SE have never stated that they release unchecked updates to the servers so users can report errors etc.

In the end SE should be making sure that all data is bug free and stable before its made public, failure to do this reflects badly against them. All the time that is spent on "emergency updates" looking into errors which could have been avoided with some simple checking is totally unnecessary and avoidable.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-09 10:34:45

Scizor said:
Thunderz said:
Scizor said:

but wtv

This is true, but Atomos is supposed to be used for testing and bug checking. SE have never stated that they release unchecked updates to the servers so users can report errors etc.

In the end SE should be making sure that all data is bug free and stable before its made public, failure to do this reflects badly against them. All the time that is spent on "emergency updates" looking into errors which could have been avoided with some simple checking is totally unnecessary and avoidable.

problem solve turn a server into a real "test" server....having a server get the update 1 week in advance would seriously help the wiki page when stuff is released...also stop the terrible emergency maint.
 Odin.Leey
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Leey 2009-04-09 10:40:20

they gimped PUP? because it was already so awesome rightttttt :O /hated
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-09 10:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:
Scizor said:
Thunderz said:
Scizor said:

but wtv

problem solve turn a server into a real "test" server....having a server get the update 1 week in advance would seriously help the wiki page when stuff is released...also stop the terrible emergency maint.

This would be a bad idea I think. My reason being is there are X amount of RMT on a server and if they get a week headstart on their server at stuff like Gobbiebag items (Angel skin jumped 500k in price on Unicorn) they could tell all their RMT buddies on other servers and they could scoop up every quest item that pops up on the AH and resell it for double/triple when they are in high demand.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-09 10:54:01

^

the thing is you would also know 1week in advance...and regular people do it too...
and if your smart you "never" buy stuff when its release...like never.

Except if your stupidly rich...

Also whats stopping RMT doing it after its release everywhere? In the end more "good" will come out of it then bad.

Trying to figure out the new Quest/Mission or where the spells where (or what mobs drop them) really sucked to find out ><
 Ramuh.Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-04-09 11:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

SE creates these updates months in advance they should fully test everything before its released. In the end SE have the time, resources and manpower to make sure everything runs as it should there really is no need for there to be any emergency maintenance.ever.

And as for releasing it for the player base to find floors, bugs etc is a really bad idea, Im not paying my monthly fee to bug check SE's work.

What really pisses me off is the amount of time spent offline due to SE's errors, I wouldnt mind as much if they reduced the monthly fee to reflect server downtime, and im sure im not alone on this.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-04-09 11:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Styxriver said:
I've got 2 phrases.

Unit Tests. Regression testing.

Any programmer knows what those are, it prevents you from breaking ***that was working fine before.

User submitted image

^^^^^ Dood that pics F***in Scary.......LMAO.. My son wud have nightmares for weeks If I showed him that!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 11:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattr said:
yes i agree some of the errors are weird, why on earth that was effected, but it obviously was somehow. and i dont know how many of you are programmers, but if your telling me the ones of you who are, have never released anything with bugs, your lieing to yourselves, even with tons of testing, some things will slip through the cracks, and checking every single thing in the game every update would be a complete waste of resources and money, you would either need to hire loads of new people each time, or it would take forever to get the updates out, id rather they do it this way, the problems are noticed in hours and fixed alot quicker

It's not that we haven't written stuff with bugs in it, it's that these are pretty obvious and severe errors in the code. Basic playtesting on the relevant jobs would have caught everything except maybe the BST problem since it only applies to certain mob families. Debugging the code wouldn't necessarily catch these errors given that you have a valid output but not the "correct" output, but a combination of code inspection, debugging, and play testing should have caught most if not all of this. I'm no programming expert, but the implication is certainly that SE is guilty of bad practice.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-09 11:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Scizor said:
What really pisses me off is the amount of time spent offline due to SE's errors, I wouldnt mind as much if they reduced the monthly fee to reflect server downtime, and im sure im not alone on this.

Ya, that'd be nice. From what I'm told by friend of mine that used to play WoW hardcore, Blizzard does that...if the servers go down they credit everyone on the server for the time it was down.

He also said Blizzard does some weird ***, too (or at least, they used to) where if something *** up hardcore they'd reset the server, so everyone would like go back in time 10 minutes, although that happened VERY rarely. That'd be weird...
 Siren.Anmorata
Server: Siren
user: Anmorata
By Siren.Anmorata 2009-04-09 11:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember when the Nyzle weapons update happened for the WS points. a friend/LS mate of mine was on RNG and noticed that Recycle was broken, she wasn't using any ammo up 90% of the time. it took them a few days to fix that.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-09 12:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been MNK for awhile and the only thing we've got was Footwork, which is awesome I might add :D
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-09 15:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So, everyone happy now that the emergency maintenance is over?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 15:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends, have all the issues actually been fixed?

Tbest said:

BST is still mischarming Cactuars. My boyfriend just tried.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 15:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Aledacia said:
Tbest said:

BST is still mischarming Cactuars. My boyfriend just tried.

WTF
I'm scared to get on my BLU ._.
 Ramuh.Kiriyu
user: kiriyu
By Ramuh.Kiriyu 2009-04-09 15:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

OH NO REVENGE OF TEH CACTUARZ

Edit - took him four tries to charm.

1/4 on EP.

Edit to the edit - his next one was 1/1.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 15:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Aledacia said:
Edit - took him four tries to charm.

1/4 on EP.

Not impossible, but for an EP that's really unlikely to happen... GDI SE
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-09 15:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Awwww... That's a shame... Try getting better gear. =)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 16:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm betting he's well geared. What did he get with Gauge?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-09 16:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't care less tbh. lol The only time I use Bst these days is as a sub for Rdm and charming Antlions/Flies/Lizards. =)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 16:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I just decided to try out BST, and BLU is one of my main jobs. If the issues didn't actually get fixed I'm gonna be pissed.

"Should be able to charm"
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-09 16:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

1/4 with should be able to charm... bah. Can we confirm whether any of the other bugs got fixed?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-09 16:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be noted that Cactuar are light-based and resistant to charm because of it, but idk. Maybe they made them slightly more resistant because they're overpowered?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8