Best Mage
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-21 11:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Until you spend a whopping 36 MP to change to a different storm.

The -10% MP cost for higher nukes alone makes up for the added MP cost to change storms, after a few nukes.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-21 11:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

In most situations that's not an issue. Nuking in multiple elements implies either exploiting multiple weaknesses (generally leaves you with time to change storms) or nuking faster than a single recast timer (usually can't be sustained indefinitely). Further, there's enmity issues associated with nuking that fast on anything that doesn't die quickly enough that you wouldn't nuke it to begin with.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-21 11:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah ok can you show any real testing anywhere that actually shows that klimaform is ~50macc?

And do you actually only use 1 nuke over and over? Sounds kinda slow to me using only 1 nuke to keep macc that has a base recast of 36 sec and cast time of 8. So even with arts that's less then 2 a min. Unless you want to switch to T3 or lol end in haste/fast cast. Sure waste your mp changing storms go ahead lower your efficiency.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-21 11:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah ok can you show any real testing anywhere that actually shows that klimaform is ~50macc?
It's more or less eyeballing. It could be more or could be less, but I used it a lot soloing Kaiser Behemoth in Apollyon. It's enough to floor resist rates in high-damage gear.
 Ramuh.Xisin
user: Xisin
By Ramuh.Xisin 2010-03-21 11:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

either way casting the storm and keeping the klimaform up takes away from mp efficiency while at the same time occupying to do something else, you will never outparse a good blm on Tiamat especially one sticking their nukes 90%+ at a time not wearing full ele skill/accuracy gear.

and if you really wanna discuss tia well a blm shouldnt run out of mp while nuking in the air (it'll actually force land.) so really its a moot point in that situation.

Also Enter your pictures really dont prove a thing as you do not know what kind of merits that blm had. I'd have to check my numbers on flans >_>; havent been out there in ages.

I'm still curious about the witch sash shot btw.

Gilgamesh.Nezea
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-03-21 11:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Ravahan said:
Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
Proof that SCH > BLM almost everywhere: There exist only a finite number of events in FFXI. Since the set of events at which BLM > SCH is a subset of all events, it is also finite. Recall that any finite set is countable. Thus, since every countable set has measure zero, the set of all events at which BLM > SCH has measure zero. By definition, we conclude that SCH > BLM almost everywhere. QED
What you just said there is if x is the number of events in the game, B is the number of events in which BLM is superior and S is the number of events in which SCH is superior and one or the other is better in each situation, then B + S = x, which is common sense worded to be confusing so you look smart. You did that so that you could tack something on the end that has no relation to the rest of your "logical arguement" and no one would (or maybe you actually thought "could"?) contradict you. The fact that you can count the value of B or S and that each is a subset of x does not mean that B < S. What you did not say there was anything having to do with actual numbers.

This isn't what I said at all. The proof actually doesn't require the use of numbers at all. Clearly you aren't familiar with the concept of measure zero so you might want to read up on it. I'll give you that the proof was obviously a joke, although it's actually not really wrong and certainly not in the way that you think it is.

Quote:
I think its hillarious that you're taking the time to not only keep up with this thread but regularly respond to it and still claim that you're not willing to invest the time to warp out to Halvung, walk for five minutes, and cast a nuke.

For sure, I have the time to keep up with this thread when I'm at work and have nothing else to do. No, I'm not willing to invest any of my FREE time into taking screenshots or posting here for people I don't know from a hole in the ground. I don't really give a damn what people outside of myself and my friends think about jobs.

What I might do is take screenshots when I'm actually there one day. If you think everyone has the time on their hands to go out of their way to prove ***about video games to people they don't even know you really need to get a life.

This is where we differ in thinking. I made a statement about SCH vs. other mages because that's what the thread prompted people to do. Now you're making it into my problem that people don't believe me. I just put my point of view out there; whether you choose to open your mind to it or not is something I don't really care about.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-21 11:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Xisin said:
either way casting the storm and keeping the klimaform up takes away from mp efficiency while at the same time occupying to do something else, you will never outparse a good blm on Tiamat especially one sticking their nukes 90%+ at a time not wearing full ele skill/accuracy gear.
Show me a BLM parsing 90% with full damage gear and I'll show you a SCH parsing 90% in full damage gear with Klimaform.
Ramuh.Xisin said:
and if you really wanna discuss tia well a blm shouldnt run out of mp while nuking in the air (it'll actually force land.) so really its a moot point in that situation.
And if you're allowed to free-nuke without worrying about MP, then SCH can hit Ebullience to get another +20% nuke damage. There's a fairly logical tradeoff there.
Ramuh.Xisin said:
Also Enter your pictures really dont prove a thing as you do not know what kind of merits that blm had. I'd have to check my numbers on flans >_>; havent been out there in ages.
I'm not saying it's definitive proof. It was just passing screenshots during a similar thread months ago. It is enough to say that a BLM with near-perfect gear gets about the same numbers on T4s as a SCH with average gear. If I had better gear than that, the numbers would have had a higher damage gap.
 Ramuh.Xisin
user: Xisin
By Ramuh.Xisin 2010-03-21 11:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

okie, 26 mins fight claim to dead. 4 blms 7 smns as dd + a zerg drk... I honestly forget the gear i had but it was pre morrigans for sure.

I still doubt your claim to accuracy.

Last edit - the burden of proof about accuracy is yours in this case. As a blm if i really want to go as high as i want (i never would because it returns yucky results.) i can maintain 350+ elemental skill while having a considerable amount of INT at the same time i can drop to 330 skill and maintain really good amount of damage gear. in full MAB gear i still float above 300 skill.
[+]
 Kujata.Segaia
Server: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2010-03-21 12:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Anything you'd have the choice of RDM or SCH for calls for -aga'd CC, so that's not actually a factor.

If you want to nullify the possibility of SCH being able to aga a lot of spells and therefore having a definite advantage above RDM i demand erasing anything about Haste and Refresh.

Theese are simply the key parts of both jobs.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sure, both when you can. That's not what we were discussing though, we were talking about the relative merit of using a stratagem charge to AoE each spell.

The link was for the discussion overall, not for you personally. It rly was a bit out of our conversation tho :)

Tbh even if i find a lot still critical and not right about your post quoting me i think we should just leave it at that and simply see what the new updates bring us. As i already mentioned Gravityga will be available for RDM, which would kill my point with aga CC. Aswell SCH would be the perfect Haster if it is AoE able (you could even AoE on other parties then), which would kill your point on SCH missing keybuffs.

At least... soon... my blu, sch and smn will have their convert. I'm fine with that.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-21 12:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Segaia said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Anything you'd have the choice of RDM or SCH for calls for -aga'd CC, so that's not actually a factor.

If you want to nullify the possibility of SCH being able to aga a lot of spells and therefore having a definite advantage above RDM i demand erasing anything about Haste and Refresh.

Theese are simply the key parts of both jobs.
Are you just completely misreading my posts? Graviga and Binda are why SCH wins in any situation at all. If Sleepga is a factor, SCH loses based on the fact that you're reliant on Stratagems to AoE or give up your defensive abilities to get it without Stratagems. Hence, if Sleepga is a factor Manifestation's recast makes SCH inferior and Graviga/Bindga aren't really in play. Is that clearer? How about a flowchart?

1) Are there multiple mobs?

yes -> proceed to 2
no -> who cares, use whatever job you feel like

2) Can it be held with Sleepga?

yes -> use a RDM
no -> use a SCH/BRD/BLU/whatever

Not getting into 99, too many question marks right now.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-21 13:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i have to agree w/ nightfyre. it's something that i see SCH fans always talk about. they talk about how they can do x,y,z,lmnop. but then they disregard the strategem timer and the need to be in a certain arts.

do schs forget that in order to sleepga 2 they also need to be in addendum:black? that's 2 strats if they're coming from light arts (after they got done doing their AWESOME! enspells or kinda useful stoneskin).

it's like don't forget you can't do it all. you get to do one facet of SCH for any given event. yes you *can* do all of those things, but for any one event, you only get to do One of those things.

no question that SCH is the bomb at CC though. but it then is dedicated to that task. it can't be CC, healer, and buffer for the same event. but wait... RDM can.
[+]