First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-03-20 21:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I'm sure we all know how phalanx works, so let's just say that its usefulness is situational, stoneskin isn't. Anyway, come level 99, I predict it's going to be damn hard to beat sch/rdm...

RDM/SCH will be hard to beat at 99
 Leviathan.Shurtugal
Server: Leviathan
user: Shurtugal
By Leviathan.Shurtugal 2010-03-20 21:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Green mage
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-20 21:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The the last two posts, this depends on what new spells drk sch and rdm get beyond 75. Drk will most probably get T3, rdm will most probably get T4, what will SCH get?
 Unicorn.Ixn
Server: Unicorn
user: unknown
By Unicorn.Ixn 2010-03-20 21:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH might get access to tier V >.> like blm probably would (but im not holding my breath)
Then again I have rdm/blm/sch/blu/drk leveled so im kinda hopin on that just like hoping that blue mage. when i started the game. would be made a playable class which came true >.>;
on a related(yet not so related)
time mage is the best mage eva

oh wait... wut?

ps i hate commas
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-20 21:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
The the last two posts, this depends on what new spells drk sch and rdm get beyond 75. Drk will most probably get T3, rdm will most probably get T4, what will SCH get?
Probably T5 or at least some of them along with blm.

Probably another strat per art.

Obviously lower recast on strats.

Possible maybe just maybe native MAB or MDB.

Probably regen/rr III.

Maybe Prot/shell V

Maybe higher Tier arts? Like basically same thing but maybe 20% less cost/recast/cast with it up instead of 10%.

Who knows they didn't really talk about sch much so it's all speculation at this point
 Hades.Coops
Server: Hades
user: coops
By Hades.Coops 2010-03-20 22:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do all the dumb shits like the OP have to be on Hades?
Thank god it's ending.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-03-20 22:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cuz all dumb shits go to hell
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-21 01:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That was meant as a thought provoking rhetorical question, not an invitation to further derail the thread.
 Shiva.Gylfie
Server: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2010-03-21 01:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I STILL think bacon mage is the best.
[+]
 Hades.Ustav
Server: Hades
user: Ustav
By Hades.Ustav 2010-03-21 06:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is so stupid
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2010-03-21 08:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously the best mage is Black Mage because I enjoy playing it the most. Similarly the best melee is thief because it's my favorite. Unfortunately individual results will vary and others may see differently. Individual opinions suck you know. If you don't like what I like best you're wrong (yes that was sarcasm).

Honestly I don't see any mage being "best" because they all have different strengths. I just play the ones I have the most fun with.

Fenrir.Shambo
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-03-21 08:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

my friend Luvbun.... end of story
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-03-21 09:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Proof that SCH > BLM almost everywhere:

There exist only a finite number of events in FFXI. Since the set of events at which BLM > SCH is a subset of all events, it is also finite.

Recall that any finite set is countable. Thus, since every countable set has measure zero, the set of all events at which BLM > SCH has measure zero.

By definition, we conclude that SCH > BLM almost everywhere.

QED

Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-21 09:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Nezea said:

There exist only a finite number of events in FFXI. Since the set of events at which BLM > SCH is a subset of all events, it is also finite.

Recall that any finite set is countable. Thus, since every countable set has measure zero, the set of all events at which BLM > SCH has measure zero.

QED
I'm no maths guru, but I'm pretty sure your logic fails.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-21 10:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel so sorry for gilga.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-21 10:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I feel so sorry for gilga.
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-03-21 10:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Gilgamesh.Nezea said:

QED
I'm no maths guru, but I'm pretty sure your logic fails.

Prove it.
[+]
 Kujata.Segaia
Server: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2010-03-21 10:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
There are other buffs, and they come after those two. Thus, RDM has a massive priority advantage over SCH by the fact that they're effective debuffers and healers along with being required buffers.

First of, the buffs of a rdm are effective indeed tho the way a rdm has to buff is far from being that - it is a goddamn waste of time because everything is simply single target (pro IV, shell IV, haste, refresh, phalanx II - this is where the list stops aswell). In terms of healing RDM is ok. With Phalanx- and Stoneskinga the amount of healing is reduced greatly and even if a lot needs to be healed A SCH doesnt have much problem with it at all.

Second, a SCH is a defensive buffer, not an offensive one (this is what most ppl get wrong even if it is obvious - having enspells doesnt give you the title of an offensive buffer) and perform in that part better to a non-compareable amount in efficiency, enmity and mp-ratio than RDM - this is not argueable.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
SCH crowd control is tied to stratagems, RDM crowd control is not.

is this a pro or a contra? besides sleepga being the only AoE atm RDM is pretty much useless in CCing a lot of mobs, i still cant believe ls's set rdm on pure sleepga duty when i even know BLU/SCHs that perform better and have superior tools at hand, aswell as RDM could be used better elsewhere. SCH may be tied to Strategems, RDM tho is still limited to the recast timer even with full fast cast - he is simply not able to apply for example gravity on 5 mobs in a fast period of time without his 2hr (just an example to point it out - the situation itself occurs rarely).
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Further, RDM has better PDT and Fast Cast (can cast under pressure).

SCH can easily reach 43% fast cast by gear for white and black magic (excluding ninjutsu). I dont see your point rly. If you consider that SCH can even cut down time and pressure by simply -againg the difference is rly minimalistic to even mention it. Or what situation did you have in mind?
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Rinako is correct, Phalanxga + Stoneskinga in any situation where Stoneskinga doesn't prevent somebody from being 1 or 2-shotted.

I fixed that for you and refer to this thread were ppl already pointed everything out:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?fjob=20&mid=126322235252436694&page=1&howmany=50#m1263255878297438350

Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-21 10:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that you could apply the same argument in reverse and get BLM > SCH almost anywhere is a pretty good hint. I'm rusty on set theory, but your fallacy was a gross misuse of zero measure.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-21 10:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Segaia said:
Second, a SCH is a defensive buffer, not an offensive one (this is what most ppl get wrong even if it is obvious - having enspells doesnt give you the title of an offensive buffer

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on this point. If enspells are considered a defensive buff, what would be offensive? Knowing that Enspells more than double a THF/MNK/NIN/DNC/PUP/BLU's damage output over time on higher-DEF mobs sounds pretty offensive for me.
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-03-21 10:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The fact that you could apply the same argument in reverse and get BLM > SCH almost anywhere is a pretty good hint. I'm rusty on set theory, but your fallacy was a gross misuse of zero measure.

It's not as if I didn't think of that, but that doesn't make my proof wrong. I've just taken "almost everywhere" a little out of context.
[+]
 Kujata.Segaia
Server: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2010-03-21 10:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Kujata.Segaia said:
Second, a SCH is a defensive buffer, not an offensive one (this is what most ppl get wrong even if it is obvious - having enspells doesnt give you the title of an offensive buffer

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on this point. If enspells are considered a defensive buff, what would be offensive? Knowing that Enspells more than double a THF/MNK/NIN/DNC/PUP/BLU's damage output over time on higher-DEF mobs sounds pretty offensive for me.

enspells, while surely making an impact offensively doesnt change the overall defensive style on SCH. The spell itself is definetly offensive - your 200% right, overall a buffing SCH is more leaned defensively, because unless you supply your party with +7 STR from storms at 75 there is where it ends.

Personally (still opinions) i see enspell more as a nice-to-have, it is very usefull indeed and should not be skipped, tho it is not in my total focus when im taking care of my party with stonesking, phalanx, cures etc.. There are times when cycling theese buffs that WILL let you run out of stratagems - there is where i personally skip enspells for the other buffs and i think im not different than most SCHs in this way (at least i hope lol).

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-21 11:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
First of, the buffs of a rdm are effective indeed tho the way a rdm has to buff is far from being that - it is a goddamn waste of time because everything is simply single target (pro IV, shell IV, haste, refresh, phalanx II - this is where the list stops aswell). In terms of healing RDM hasnt much to offer aswell. With Phalanx- and Stoneskinga the amount of healing is reduced greatly and even if a lot needs to be healed A SCH doesnt have much problem with it at all.
Again, RDM provides irreplaceable buffs. By the time you've got enough RDMs and WHMs in the alliance to cover buffs, you've probably got all the healing you need. If you need more, odds are it's more efficient to get it from a BRD/WHM, a DNC, etc. I'm not arguing that RDM is a more efficient healer than a SCH, only that the healing power SCH provides is often superfluous in a properly supported group.
Quote:
Second, a SCH is a defensive buffer, not an offensive one (this is what most ppl get wrong even if it is obvious - having enspells doesnt give you the title of an offensive buffer) and perform in that part better to a non-compareable amount in efficiency, enmity and mp-ratio than RDM - this is not argueable.
Oh I know. MP efficiency kind of falls by the wayside when your cures are largely unneeded though. Also, the best defense is a good offense - see Haste again.
Quote:
is this a pro or a contra? besides sleepga being the only AoE atm RDM is pretty much useless in CCing a lot of mobs, i still cant believe ls's set rdm on pure sleepga duty when i even know BLU/SCHs that perform better and have superior tools at hand. SCH may be tied to Strategems, RDM tho is still limited to the recast timer even with full fast cast - he is simply not able to apply for example gravity on 5 mobs in a fast period of time without his 2hr (just an example to point it out - the situation itself occurs rarely).
Con, if you run out of stratagems for whatever reason you have no CC. Sleepga's all you need in most situations; I addressed SCH's advantages in the other situations already. BLU is fantastic CC situationally, especially Einherjar (where SCH also shines and RDM doesn't, as mentioned previously). Recast timer also applies to SCH, your Grav example applies in situations we already agree on.
Quote:
SCH can easily reach 43% fast cast by gear for white and black magic (excluding ninjutsu). I dont see your point rly. If you consider that SCH can even cut down time and pressure by simply -againg the difference is rly minimalistic to even mention it. Or what situation did you have in mind?
Anything you'd have the choice of RDM or SCH for calls for -aga'd CC, so that's not actually a factor. RDM's superior innate FC increases survival when you need to cast in SID/PDT due to CC under fire. Not always a factor, but the moment it comes up and your SCH hits the dirt you'll wish you'd brought a RDM instead.

Also, RDM hits 42% without /SCH. Not much of a difference, if any.
Quote:
I fixed that for you and refer to this thread were ppl already pointed everything out peacefully:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?fjob=20&mid=126322235252436694&page=1&howmany=50#m1263255878297438350
Sure, both when you can. That's not what we were discussing though, we were talking about the relative merit of using a stratagem charge to AoE each spell.

Also, the quoted thread does nothing to actually evaluate the efficiency of either spell. In large-scale situations where hate is bouncing among a large number of DDs (Dyna, Ein), I'll agree that Stoneskinga probably wins after a second look simply because of how much aggregate HP you're saving assuming the majority of those -aga'd take a hit. Phalanxga on the other hand has an advantage in efficiency per charge in lowman situations where there's only a few DD and Stoneskin is gone very quickly.
[+]
 Ifrit.Ravahan
Server: Ifrit
user: Ravahan
By Ifrit.Ravahan 2010-03-21 11:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
Proof that SCH > BLM almost everywhere: There exist only a finite number of events in FFXI. Since the set of events at which BLM > SCH is a subset of all events, it is also finite. Recall that any finite set is countable. Thus, since every countable set has measure zero, the set of all events at which BLM > SCH has measure zero. By definition, we conclude that SCH > BLM almost everywhere. QED
What you just said there is if x is the number of events in the game, B is the number of events in which BLM is superior and S is the number of events in which SCH is superior and one or the other is better in each situation, then B + S = x, which is common sense worded to be confusing so you look smart. You did that so that you could tack something on the end that has no relation to the rest of your "logical arguement" and no one would (or maybe you actually thought "could"?) contradict you. The fact that you can count the value of B or S and that each is a subset of x does not mean that B < S.

What you did not say there was anything having to do with actual numbers. In fact, while the BLM side of the arguement has shown formula and calculated the best case scenario for a SCH T4 and shown that to be inferior to what you claimed to be able to beat, a well geared BLM's AM2, the SCH side of the arguement has only shown one screen shot which actually conformed to the predictions offered by the BLM side.

I'd like to point out here that you, Nezea, are the one who made the claim that you can outnuke an AM2. No one asked you if you were able to. As is the rule of thumb with braggarts if you make a claim and get called out on it you can either prove it or go away. I think its hillarious that you're taking the time to not only keep up with this thread but regularly respond to it and still claim that you're not willing to invest the time to warp out to Halvung, walk for five minutes, and cast a nuke.

When I first saw your claim I was a little dubious, but curious. Judging by your resistance to offer any proof to support your claim while still doggedly defending it, I am sorry but you truely just look like a liar.

I, like many before me, call BS.
-------------------------------------------- And now back to the subject of the thread.

IMO the usefulness of mages goes like so; RDM > SCH > WHM > BLM (sorry guys, only good for packing a punch and sleeping stuff if your enfeeb is merrited). Swap the SCH and WHM if the WHM is /SCH. SCH has some nifty tools but you really just don't need mass crowd control that often. The buffs are nice, though.

That being said, I've actually found myself hurting specificly for BLMs for events more often than I've found myself hurting for any other mage except a generic healer. I guess sometimes you really need that mojo punch.

I have yet to see a BLM in a merit group that wasn't a mana burn. Obviously people regard them as useless after 60 or so for XP, but everyone wants a few for endgame.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-21 11:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
I see.
[+]
 Ramuh.Xisin
user: Xisin
By Ramuh.Xisin 2010-03-21 11:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

None of the blm screenshots show whether or not the blm critted the spell with witch's sash or not >_>; and really neither one of you are nuking in the best BLM has to offer.

BLM can still put out better numbers of stuff like tia due to accuracy and consistency anyway, e-peening at flans really doesn't prove a thing. Even though I highly doubt I'll be getting out done by a sch at flans on at any rate. But still BLM can get higher elemental skill + access to more skill gear and higher int and more mab gear... its pretty obvious which one is better at nuking.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-21 11:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

None of the schs were even willing to show what buffs they had lol
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-21 11:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Xisin said:
BLM can still put out better numbers of stuff like tia due to accuracy and consistency anyway, e-peening at flans really doesn't prove a thing. Even though I highly doubt I'll be getting out done by a sch at flans on at any rate. But still BLM can get higher elemental skill access to more skill gear and higher int and more mab gear... its pretty obvious which one is better at nuking.
And SCH has Klimaform which is up about 75% of the time for a bonus ~50 MACC. Of course, it more than makes up for the small loss in Elemental skill.
 Ramuh.Xisin
user: Xisin
By Ramuh.Xisin 2010-03-21 11:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

which in turns dedicates you to one element, theres always a trade off.