Forum » FFXI » General » Square Enix Holdings. has shed nearly $2 billions
Square Enix Holdings. has shed nearly $2 billions
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Afania 2023-09-16 18:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

GetHelpNerd said: »
Afania said: »
mitusbishi. they have GREATLY out performed SE.

Except nobody is arguing SE outperform everything else on the planet LOL.

I only argued SE's performance is about the same as 5 years ago.

I also said your argument often has error in it.

I did not say SE is the best investment on the planet.

You predicted SE will die within 5 years and I call it questionable. Didn't even say you are wrong. Only wanted proof which you offered none. I doubt you already short it to prove your prediction being correct too.

Sorry, not buying any of your statement.

SE is down in USD. USD is the currency people talk about when a stock is traded on the NYSE, which it is. SE will die or be sold for parts in the next 5 years :D. i'd also assume a large portion of SEs profits are actually IN USD since they have a large north american presence and all their games are sold in that currency at a higher rate than anywhere else!

SE stock is traded at The Tokyo Stock Exchange (in yen) lol. You are probably talking about OTC market.

Also if SE's profit is in USD that means their profit actually increased with JPY devaluation lol. Since they publish financial report in yen.

Not sure why you decide to post this when none of what you posted help you back up your "prediction" lol.
By drakefs 2023-09-16 19:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is down in USD. USD is the currency people talk about when a stock is traded on the NYSE, which it is

What? SE is not listed on the NYSE. It listed on the TYO. It is also listed on OTCMKTS (twice? still not sure how this works with over the counter trading).

i'd also assume a large portion of SEs profits are actually IN USD since they have a large north american presence and all their games are sold in that currency at a higher rate than anywhere else!

I would question said assumption, knowing that SE does fairly well in JP and Europe. SE also has a presence China.

I would also like the source of SEs sell volumes per country. The only info I could find combines NA+Europe, nothing broken out per country.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-09-16 19:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

drakefs said: »
I would also like the source

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Dodik 2023-09-16 19:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What? SE is not listed on the NYSE. It listed on the TYO

Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd is listed on Nasdaq (SQNXF). Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd is also listed on TYO (9684).

Companies can be multi listed - ie listed on more than one stock exchange. The company name may be different as they need to have an entity in the country to be listed.
[+]
By Afania 2023-09-16 20:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
What? SE is not listed on the NYSE. It listed on the TYO

Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd is listed on Nasdaq (SQNXF).

Yeah, that's the OTC we talked about. Actually there is another OTC, SQNNY. I am not sure if there is 3rd.

Either way those are listed on Nasdaq lol, thanks for pointing it out. Which is actually kind of funny reading the comments.
By drakefs 2023-09-16 21:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd is listed on Nasdaq (SQNXF)

I do not think that means you can trade it on NYSE.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-09-16 21:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't, and historically NYSE has been harder to list on, especially for international businesses.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2023-09-16 22:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is down in USD. USD is the currency people talk about when a stock is traded on the NYSE, which it is

What? SE is not listed on the NYSE. It listed on the TYO. It is also listed on OTCMKTS (twice? still not sure how this works with over the counter trading).

i'd also assume a large portion of SEs profits are actually IN USD since they have a large north american presence and all their games are sold in that currency at a higher rate than anywhere else!

I would question said assumption, knowing that SE does fairly well in JP and Europe. SE also has a presence China.

I would also like the source of SEs sell volumes per country. The only info I could find combines NA+Europe, nothing broken out per country.

I also listed it's dividend in Yen, but figured since most here are US based or familiar enough with it I would use the USD values for the dividends. They are indeed paid in Yen twice a year, with the big payment happening in June and a smaller one happening in December.
By SimonSes 2023-09-17 00:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure why you decide to post this when none of what you posted help you back up your "prediction" lol.

He is the most stereotype American ever. Thinking everything in the world circles around USA and USD.
[+]
By publix 2023-09-17 00:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mean to light a fire by asking this question years later, but:

1. Why did SE not include any FF characters in the decades anticipated KH3?

2. Why, having been rescued from near disaster by Naoki Yoshida, does the company now treat their golden egg(s) with less care? I.E. enormous wait time between content patches, especially P9S-P12S (latest raid tier came out in May), and the newest XPAC probably mid-late Summer 2024?

3. Why keep trying to add stuff to a hoarder's house, instead of decluttering the crap that is rotting the house?
By GetHelpNerd 2023-09-17 08:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

He is the most stereotype American ever. Thinking everything in the world circles around USA and USD.
i've read enough of your posts to know that you don't ever say anything worthwhile, but the dollar has been the reserve currency of the world since WW2.

sorry that your poor country matters a lot less than the US, it's an unfortunate reality that i don't really agree with myself, but it is reality.

the rest isn't worth responding to, when afania can't afford retirement because they put their 401k money into a video game company that couldn't outperform a dead slug maybe they'll have the realization that they shouldn't have been such a fanboy
[+]
By Jetackuu 2023-09-17 08:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It literally does.
[+]
By Afania 2023-09-17 08:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

It literally does.

Yes and no....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_currency

According to IMF only 58% of reserve currency is USD in 2022. While it's still higher % than the rest of the currency I would struggle to see it as the only currency that matters in the world. Such statement is clearly hyperbole.

Note that this % has been decreasing for quite some time, this number used to be over 80%+ 50 years ago. Although I would consider myself fairly pro-US I still think its influence in the entire world isn't as high as before IMO.

That's another political discussion that probably doesn't belong on a video game forum though.
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
Server: Ragnarok
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2023-09-17 09:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

publix said: »
I don't mean to light a fire by asking this question years later, but:

1. Why did SE not include any FF characters in the decades anticipated KH3?

2. Why, having been rescued from near disaster by Naoki Yoshida, does the company now treat their golden egg(s) with less care? I.E. enormous wait time between content patches, especially P9S-P12S (latest raid tier came out in May), and the newest XPAC probably mid-late Summer 2024?

3. Why keep trying to add stuff to a hoarder's house, instead of decluttering the crap that is rotting the house?

While I can't really say much for 1 or 3 number 2 though.

Every expansion has had this gap.

So XIV is separated into hard-core, raiders, casuals and story. The massive gap lets a lot of people catch up on content they either haven't really done much of or they haven't been subbed for. Story players won't have played since endwalker launch finished and are now taking the time to level up jobs and play through content they missed, with casuals most likely doing the same. Raiders and hard-core though will have already done most of this and it gives them a bit of a break before they start to do it all again.

There are still 2 major patches left before the next expansion so even if the raid has finished there is still more stuff coming. Lets also not forget that there are still a lot of groups progressing the later fights.
By Blazed1979 2023-09-17 09:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

short answer - betting.
Long answer: The category of games SE had a position of primacy in, RPGS, was on the decline OR not growing as fast as other genres.
They made a conscious strategic decision to venture into other genres. Their strategy on paper looks sound. Rather than entering other categories and genres where they were unknown, they tried to blur the lines and bring us all along for the ride. "us" here being Square Soft/Enix, FF long-time die-hard fans.
Great strategy(maybe not the greatest, but still great), but horrible execution.
Problem with their strategy was they needed to appease two to three different generations of gamers (Gen-x, Millenials and generation Fail "z"), as well as very different types of gamers. (Casual, haijin/hardcore/elitists, console, PC, mobile, FPS, Action, Adventure, RPG etc)

The execution was terrible.
I think the outlier being FFXIV, which imo, succeeded because it had a few unique circumstances to push it over the line into the realm of success. It had political will behind it (all of SE mobilized to save the company), it had perfect timing (a decent amount of people were looking for something other than WoW)and Yoshida actually took some ques and advice from the WoW team. + there was at least a decade and a half of failed MMO's all over the place.

This is just my opinion.
for those that feel offended or want to blow up; my dad can kick your dad's ***.

On a macro business environment level, Companies are waaay too focused on profit by any means necessary.
check this out:
https://www.gartner.com/en/articles/what-matters-to-ceos-and-cfos-right-now?utm_campaign=SM_GB_YOY_GTR_SOC_SF1_SM-SWG&utm_content=Gartner&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&utm_term=Function:+Finance,Level+6:+Copy/creative+provided+with+social+input,Media:+CCOE+Created+Card,Media:+Data,MT+Role+Based,ST+-+Role+based:+Article

Notice how customers are at the bottom? second only to the environment? And at the top is growth?

Steve Jobs built an exceptional (one of the greatest in history) brand by being the relentless, uncompromising, resilient, and tenacious champion of customer wants and needs.(Although Apple is a big pile of dookie now)
Business is the art of meeting customer needs and wants at a profit. When you take the customer's needs and wants out of the equation, all you have is a shell of a business trying to rip everyone off.
But these kids keep buying all this crap.
*** USD 5K designer bags that cost 20$ to make.
its all *** up dude. its all *** up.\
[+]
By Jetackuu 2023-09-17 23:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes
could have stopped here, and it isn't hyperbole

But more on point to the thread: SE will continue to produce mediocre content that people buy in droves. Nothing to see here.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-18 00:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when did SE take over making the Pokemon games?
[+]
By Afania 2023-09-18 03:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes

To be clear.... saying USD is "the most common reserve currency" isn't hyperbole.

Saying USD is the only currency that matters therefore everyone should use USD to discuss non-US based stock is(I know you didn't make this comment). Unless you live in a country that uses USD in daily life you actually lose money converting currency back and forth, making it an inefficient choice for investors that don't pay USD in daily life.

Which makes the "only" and "everyone" statement objectively hyperbole.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2023-09-21 10:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes

To be clear.... saying USD is "the most common reserve currency" isn't hyperbole.

Saying USD is the only currency that matters therefore everyone should use USD to discuss non-US based stock is(I know you didn't make this comment). Unless you live in a country that uses USD in daily life you actually lose money converting currency back and forth, making it an inefficient choice for investors that don't pay USD in daily life.

Which makes the "only" and "everyone" statement objectively hyperbole.

lovely strawman and tangent.

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Since when did SE take over making the Pokemon games?

Aside from Go, I keep forgetting they made stuff past gen2...
By SimonSes 2023-09-22 03:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

i've read enough of your posts to know that you don't ever say anything worthwhile, but the dollar has been the reserve currency of the world since WW2.

sorry that your poor country matters a lot less than the US, it's an unfortunate reality that i don't really agree with myself, but it is reality.

the rest isn't worth responding to, when afania can't afford retirement because they put their 401k money into a video game company that couldn't outperform a dead slug maybe they'll have the realization that they shouldn't have been such a fanboy

I wasn't clear enough.
If you look at global scale you can probably look at it as you do, but then it doesn't really tell about any success or fail.
If my country currency will get weaker against Dollar, but I get a rise, you think that means I wasn't successful in my job carrier?
Currency here bounced from 0.2 to 0.26 of Dollar in last year, so following your logic SE would make more Dollar profit in Poland selling less games in 2023. So in your eyes they would be more successful by selling less, which is just stupid.

If for example you would calculate my salary as numbers of PS5 I could afford for it at it would be let's say 4 and I will get a rise and could buy 5, while currency here would get 15% weaker against Dollar, it wouldn't affect me in the slightest, because price of PS5 doesn't change here at all based on exchange rate to Dollar.
By Tarage 2023-09-22 04:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sigh... as if throwing more money at a dev team will make it go faster. As if throwing more people at a problem will make it faster to program.

You aren't a developer, so you clearly don't understand that, if it takes a day for one dev to program a feature, it does NOT mean that two devs can program it in half a day. There very quickly reaches a point where more people working on the same bit of code can make progress go slower, not faster. Add to that that YoshiP has said multiple times that the reason things slowed down is because they addressing 10 years of technical debt(ie fixing things correctly that were previously fixed with duct tape and a prayer) and a much needed graphics overhaul.

People like you argue that it'd be cheap and super easy to re-release FFXI as a single player game in HD when in reality it'd take a ton of money and years of work. I am not saying SE hasn't made mistakes, but stop being ignorant of how development works. You don't know, so be quiet.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-09-22 11:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »
You don't know, so be quiet
Way to kill ffxiah, or the whole internet for that matter
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-09-22 14:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »

Sigh... as if throwing more money at a dev team will make it go faster. As if throwing more people at a problem will make it faster to program.

You aren't a developer, so you clearly don't understand that, if it takes a day for one dev to program a feature, it does NOT mean that two devs can program it in half a day. There very quickly reaches a point where more people working on the same bit of code can make progress go slower, not faster. Add to that that YoshiP has said multiple times that the reason things slowed down is because they addressing 10 years of technical debt(ie fixing things correctly that were previously fixed with duct tape and a prayer) and a much needed graphics overhaul.

People like you argue that it'd be cheap and super easy to re-release FFXI as a single player game in HD when in reality it'd take a ton of money and years of work. I am not saying SE hasn't made mistakes, but stop being ignorant of how development works. You don't know, so be quiet.

He is not wrong, and may have communicate with the grace of a rabid animal.

but if anyone is interested there is an old book that covers the topic pretty well, even if its age is showing a bit, The Mythical Man Month - by Frederick Brooks
It has a graphic similar to this that illustrates the issue well.

One quote that sums it up well is:
"Read the mythical man month, for extra credit read buy a second copy so you can read it twice as fast"
I believe that is from The Pragmatic Programmer by Andy Hunt & Dave Thomas
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2023-09-22 14:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Mythical Man Month is great, because even if does in fact show its age in some ways, as you say, if everyone in the industry actually understood what it was trying to say, a whole lot of conflict could be avoided.

Not all of it, of course; some people know their timelines are unrealistic and push for them anyway, usually spouting nonsense like "commitment to the goal" and "crunch".

I realize that Yoshida is a bit of a controversial figure to some; his hero-worshippers can be insufferable at times. But his commitment to a reasonable pace of development - rare in tech at his level of authority, and almost unheard of games - is what's actually impressive about him. The pressures from fans and the bean counters have to be relentless, but he understands the one thing all good technical management does: there's only so much useful work you can get out of people at a time. Planning for that and delivering reasonable estimates - which you then deliver on - is how you keep your promises and build trust.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-09-22 15:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm...

Gonna have a look.

Sounds interesting!
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2023-09-23 06:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I feels like this apply. This joke was actually made to me by my project management lecturer lol.

[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-09-23 06:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats inaccurate though.

Most project manager I work with thinks one woman can deliver 9 different babies in 7 months.

The devil of thinking "make more with less".

You dont need extra resources if one can deliver 200% of whats hummanly possible.
By GetHelpNerd 2023-09-23 10:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

worked at a lot of places and most developers generally are putting in 4-5hrs of actual work a week at most of those places.

there's some outliers, yep. but there's a reason developers/tech folk in general get a pretty bad rap for work ethic.

"BUT I GET MY WORK DONE" - probably what you assign yourself in jira estimating it at 30 hours when you know it's gonna take 3.

the average modern worker is incredibly lazy. no idea why people have such a hard time owning up to that. even if you put yourself on some sort of work ethic pedastool i'm sure you think your coworkers are lazy if that's the case.

edit: also worked closely with a ton of recruiters and the amount of people out sourcing their own job and/or working multiple jobs in the tech field is astounding
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-09-23 10:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Was reading Dark Souls 1 Design Works interview, and Miyazaki (the director and prodcuer) said this:

"In our team, the 3D artists would sometimes be called upon to do work more akin to that of a traditional artist, because we tried to utilise their skills as much as we possible. As I said before we don't have many artists to work with and just throwing more people at something doesn't guarantee a better result."
 Asura.Iamaman
Server: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-09-23 10:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

worked at a lot of places and most developers generally are putting in 4-5hrs of actual work a week at most of those places.

there's some outliers, yep. but there's a reason developers/tech folk in general get a pretty bad rap for work ethic.

I agree there are a lot of lazy, unproductive people out there, but it's also worth recognizing that most people don't have the mental endurance to sit at a computer screen staring at code for 8 hours a day and still maintain peak productivity. It's more the outlier when people are able to do that compared to those that are.

I've also found it's gotten hard as I got older. I used to be able to sit in front of IDA, vim, VC++, etc for 8-12+ hours and go home to play video games, do more for fun, or whatever, then do it again the next day. Now, if I spend 8 hours nose deep in code all day, about all I have the mental energy for at the end of the day is to go stare at trees and the last thing I want to do is see a computer screen. 10-12 and I'm just roasted.

It doesn't help that most places don't really do a good job of managing burnout. They stuff more and more work in front of their most productive people who continue to work at a burnout pace until they can't take it anymore, then becoming unproductive or quit to go farm or do something unrelated. So I don't think it always comes down to laziness when people become unproductive, there needs to be a balance and when that balance is off then most people burn out.
[+]