users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Square Enix Holdings. has shed nearly $2 billions
Square Enix Holdings. has shed nearly $2 billions
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Felgarr 2023-09-23 17:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
GetHelpNerd said: »
worked at a lot of places and most developers generally are putting in 4-5hrs of actual work a week at most of those places.

there's some outliers, yep. but there's a reason developers/tech folk in general get a pretty bad rap for work ethic.

I agree there are a lot of lazy, unproductive people out there, but it's also worth recognizing that most people don't have the mental endurance to sit at a computer screen staring at code for 8 hours a day and still maintain peak productivity. It's more the outlier when people are able to do that compared to those that are.

I've also found it's gotten hard as I got older. I used to be able to sit in front of IDA, vim, VC++, etc for 8-12+ hours and go home to play video games, do more for fun, or whatever, then do it again the next day. Now, if I spend 8 hours nose deep in code all day, about all I have the mental energy for at the end of the day is to go stare at trees and the last thing I want to do is see a computer screen. 10-12 and I'm just roasted.

It doesn't help that most places don't really do a good job of managing burnout. They stuff more and more work in front of their most productive people who continue to work at a burnout pace until they can't take it anymore, then becoming unproductive or quit to go farm or do something unrelated. So I don't think it always comes down to laziness when people become unproductive, there needs to be a balance and when that balance is off then most people burn out.

I second this, wholeheartedly. Also, I'm not trying to diminish GetHelpNerd's assertion, but writing code is a lot like building a ship in a bottle. You have to fully understand the task (as much as possible) and iterate on that. But guess what? It's easy to make an assumption that turns out to be incorrect. So, before you know it, you've spent 5 hours, you're exhausted and you've made minimal progress. Now imagine you have to build 10 ship-bottles in a week? What do you do then?

Meanwhile, instead of minimal progress, let's say you get stuck with something worse!: Negative progress! This is when you explore a problem and find out it's MUCH more difficult than you anticipated. You can't really call those developers who continue to output even in trying circumstances lazy. Don't fall into the trap of incorrectly quantifying developer productivity (which the entire industry loves to do).
[+]
By publix 2023-09-23 17:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Square Enix takes forever to push out meaningful content for any game they publish, however, their cash shop on the other hand seems to act like it has people working 24/7 on new lockstyle/glamours or otherwise mounts/gimmicks to sell.

A lot of them we don't see because they're market/region locked like some Chinese and JP items that later, if ever hit the NA/EU markets.

I understand game development, especially that with spaghetti code can take a while to build upon, amongst other things, but when it comes to a quick credit swipe product, SE never falters.
By Felgarr 2023-09-23 17:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

publix said: »
Square Enix takes forever to push out meaningful content for any game they publish, however, their cash shop on the other hand seems to act like it has people working 24/7 on new lockstyle/glamours or otherwise mounts/gimmicks to sell.

A lot of them we don't see because they're market/region locked like some Chinese and JP items that later, if ever hit the NA/EU markets.

I understand game development, especially that with spaghetti code can take a while to build upon, amongst other things, but when it comes to a quick credit swipe product, SE never falters.

I own two Kraken Club plushies, so I'm right there with you fam.
By publix 2023-09-23 18:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

how much are those KClubs? Like $40 each + shipping? For a $0.50 production cost item.

I do wish I had at least one haha.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-23 18:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

GetHelpNerd said: »
worked at a lot of places and most developers generally are putting in 4-5hrs of actual work a week at most of those places.

"BUT I GET MY WORK DONE" - probably what you assign yourself in jira estimating it at 30 hours when you know it's gonna take 3.
This doesnt happen, not to the heavily exaggerated values that are being stated here.
By Tarage 2023-09-23 19:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't understand ***dude.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-23 19:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »

You don't understand ***dude.

Regardless of his opinions on software development, don't you think he has a point about how SE interacts with customers outside of Japan? When it comes time to sell us a trinket, SE markets (emails) it to us and expedites manufacturing and gets it in our hands in a reasonable amount of time. They accept pre-orders so they can maximize profit, make exactly as many items as requested, and then moves onto the next trinket. Think about it. If SE took this approach with game-content we'd have a lot more than we have today.

It's a miracle that we don't have FF7: Rebirth underwear and Gold Saucer Expansion DLC with cash-app slot machines. :/

Edit: I mean, look, Last year, SE made a $12,000 FF6 statue: https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20220425-11916/

They treat us like ***and we're their cash cow.
[+]
By publix 2023-09-23 19:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »

Regardless of his opinions on software development, don't you think he has a point about how SE interacts with customers outside of Japan? When it comes time to sell us a trinket, SE markets (emails) it to us and expedites manufacturing and gets it in our hands in a reasonable amount of time. They accept pre-orders so they can maximize profit, make exactly as many items as requested, and then moves onto the next trinket. Think about it. If SE took this approach with game-content we'd have a lot more than we have today.

It's a miracle that we don't have FF7: Rebirth underwear and Gold Saucer Expansion DLC with cash-app slot machines. :/

Edit: I mean, look, Last year, SE made a $12,000 FF6 statue: https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20220425-11916/

What's worse, is that between 2 MMO's and nearly 2.5 decades, SE barely has a functional, if any, community approach for NA that isn't just a @FFXIV Twitter promotion or post.

Most information the NA/EU community receives is still from players, subreddit moderators, et al., who contribute their time during live streams or other events.

Even Fan Fest which does have official translation doesn't cover it all. You'd think a company whose largest market speaks predominantly English, would try to place upper-management who speak or attempt to learn the language in charge.

This is why it's almost 2024 and JP Opinions Onry is still a thing (we saw this with Sortie Stage 4).
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-23 20:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Pay Pigs
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-24 02:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Pay Pigs

Dude. Just in time for the new Square Enix / FF14 / KFC collaboration. LMAO.

https://x.com/famitsu/status/1705848341341581638
By Pantafernando 2023-09-24 04:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Pay Pigs

Basement nerds
By Tarage 2023-09-24 04:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

By no means am I defending SE, but at least have arguments that have a basis on reality. Publix does not.

Additionally, you would all do well to read up about how Japanese businesses operate, because it is VERY different than what you are used to. Most Japanese com0anies are incredibly risk adverse. Why do you think that the original 14 was basically 11 but harder.

There is a podcast I listened to about tha Pacific war, and in it, the host sums up Japan as "just like us, but more intense". I believe this can explain a lot of what we deal with. At the end of the day, even if the market they have is predominantly English, they will always cater more to Japan. That's just how it works, for good or ill.
By Pantafernando 2023-09-24 07:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a great idea.

Lets us (FFXIAH members) make a crowfunding, buy FFXI then we can make it great again!
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-24 10:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »
the original 14 was basically 11 but harder.
What? lol
By publix 2023-09-24 10:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I love living rent free in people's heads for having a negative opinion of the massive risks and failures SE have had with MMO's, Crypto, etc. At this point I have a penthouse in Tokyo for free.

Anyways "I listened to a podcast so it must be true" instead of a textbook, an undergraduate or graduate level course on the subject matter is all I need to know. "Tiktok said it's true and they seemed serious ya'll."
By Tarage 2023-09-24 17:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I love living rent free in people's heads for having a negative opinion of the massive risks and failures SE have had with MMO's, Crypto, etc. At this point I have a penthouse in Tokyo for free.

Anyways "I listened to a podcast so it must be true" instead of a textbook, an undergraduate or graduate level course on the subject matter is all I need to know. "Tiktok said it's true and they seemed serious ya'll."

The irony of someone who doesn't read ***complaining about someone else citing a single source for an anecdotal side statement is stupid as hell and no one should consider anything that comes out of your gibbering mouth hole to have any value what so ever. You ignore the numerous people who have called you out on your ***, so clearly you aren't interested in learning. I'll just ignore you from here on.

Edit: My bad, I didn't even realize this HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE troll had only been here a month. Clearly someone's alt account so they can be idiotic and avoid flack. What an absolute waste of existence.