[+]
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-11 10:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
I think the linchpin here is that RPG battles are easy. Maybe hyper-rhythmic music would throw you off if you routinely had to make difficult, split-second decisions, but you almost never do.
Turn based RPGs are often easy in sense that you usually aren't required to make split second decisions based on timing or reflexes, but other genres that use the same kind of music do, like higher difficulty examples of action RPGs or platformers.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 11:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.eonmusic.co.uk/features/the-psychology-of-music-and-sounds-in-games?fbclid=IwAR2sF3OKTwyKxe3a7pRq-aQ7yfMTvbKf6DageSPOsNERH6pWlovqNqxn3qw

Here's a brief article that calls many of the themes from the original we're trying to dig for^^ Not so much talk about the stressors in gaming music, but definitely some analysis of chordal structures common across gaming that signify success or failure, as well as strangely almost all game music for over a decade was pitched in C^^

I do appreciate the freedom I was given in this massive derail- thanks Rooks et al :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2022-08-11 13:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I missed it, but a JP friend linked me a blog post covering the earrings showing they will all require ML30 to be equippable. If this is old news can just ignore me.

https://ff11washi.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-844.html
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 13:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Indigla said: »
Maybe I missed it, but a JP friend linked me a blog post covering the earrings showing they will all require ML30 to be equippable. If this is old news can just ignore me.

https://ff11washi.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-844.html

Sentence before earring stats
Quote:
The following job ear is something I came up with on my own, so please think of it as a joke (laughs)
[+]
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2022-08-11 13:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Sentence before earring stats
Quote:
The following job ear is something I came up with on my own, so please think of it as a joke (laughs)
wow. nvm lol.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-08-11 14:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
NIN using physical katana WS or switching to dagger... not so much.

NIN Naegling/TPbonus is crazy strong tho for physical. You have amazing tp gain with Dakken and 5%WSD gift is nice bonus for Savage. New earring will push it even more, since NIN doesn't have much PDL, so earring will be very effective upgrade (almost +3k damage to avg Savage).

I have Naegling/Hitaki NIN with strong WS gear. It's not bad. But my WAR DRG COR RNG are far stronger SB users, and (without a well augmented Nyame set for hybrids on NIN) they all offer more flexibility for seg farming. It's not about whether SB is better than physical katana WS when you're on NIN; it's about whether NIN SB is better than [insert other DD option].
By Afania 2022-08-11 15:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have Naegling/Hitaki NIN with strong WS gear. It's not bad. But my WAR DRG COR RNG are far stronger SB users,

If your ML/gear level is equal and TP bonus offhand can be applied, then No Wei! And since every SB set is the same now, at least your WS set should be equal no?

I was doing spreadsheet with Baniak the other day, just comparing SB users all using same level of gears in attack capped situations.

I got SB THF/DRG being 22% stronger than SB cor even if THF never use SA TA once. And NIN/DRG is another 10%-ish ahead of THF according to Baniak lol. Even if our math is totally wrong I highly doubt our math is being wrong by a 30% difference here.

On paper it really shouldn't happen, unless your offhand acc is super terrible or something. COR loses 10% WSD from SJ due to the lack of DW trait v.s other jobs like NIN THF BLU which has native DW. So they can /DRG or /WAR and boost WS dmg but COR can't.

Also Daken+kakka means NIN generally TP much faster than cor(see Rua's NIN segment farm video, you can totally eyeball the TP speed difference here), and NIN has WSD trait but cor doesn't.

So what am I missing here? Honestly COR isn't an impressive SB user these day IMO. Maybe it was in 2015-2016 when naeg didn't exist and capping offhand acc was PITA for 1h DD. So COR got the extra 1k TP bonus advantage back then.

This really shouldn't be the case anymore. Literally every job is WSing in same Nyame and the same TP bonus. So the job with the highest amount of offensive trait or KC access wins the SB parse. But cor has none of these. SB build TP speed on this job is just terrible.

Sometimes even a rdm/NIN is better SB user than cor tbh. Rdm in malig with temper has about the same level of DPS as cor in glass Cannon set, but way more defensive. If COR swap to malig 5/5 DT set it's worse than rdm wearing the same thing due to missing TAs.

Personally, I try to switch out of SB build in seg farm and use leaden/hot shot whenever I can. COR just TP too slow with SB build to keep up with other DD in seg farms, and it's worse in a DT set which is often required depending on groups.

It's one thing to say cor gets invite to every party because of rolls, it's another to say it's "strong SB user" when it really isn't >.>
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 16:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

it's about whether NIN SB is better than [insert other DD option].

It's much better than WAR and COR. Not better than KC RNG and KC DRG.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 16:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I was doing spreadsheet with Baniak the other day, just comparing SB users all using same level of gears in attack capped situations.

I agree with your post as a whole, just a comment on this specific comment because we see that phrase used a lot more these days, and my concern/question is this: isn't the situation of "attack cap" going to vary in terms of needs for all these jobs? So without a GEO present for yet another +atk or -def buff/debuff to push the math to its extremes, won't we see situations where some are at attack cap, and others in the same party with same buffs simply aren't- either due to native traits, access to more PDL gear(and thus needing more +atk) than other jobs, and such?

I'm sure you two ran the situation so that all the jobs you compared were at attack cap, but in a real party would that be the case? Say we've got a party with 4 people Savaging- DRG, COR, BRD and RDM (just throwing out jobs)- will the same buffs applied to all 4 result in all 4 reaching that mystical attack cap in a typical segment scenario? Or will they all vary slightly and require slightly different buffs/debuffs, and maybe some of that 4 would never reach it?

Again, I'm sure y'all ran in for a raw comparison, its more hoping for a bigger discussion so that term "attack cap" isn't thrown around by the playerbase as a whole so loosely. I think many "think" they're at cap, but rarely are.
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 16:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

I agree with your post as a whole, just a comment on this specific comment because we see that phrase used a lot more these days, and my concern/question is this: isn't the situation of "attack cap" going to vary in terms of needs for all these jobs? So without a GEO present for yet another +atk or -def buff/debuff to push the math to its extremes, won't we see situations where some are at attack cap, and others in the same party with same buffs simply aren't- either due to native traits, access to more PDL gear(and thus needing more +atk) than other jobs, and such?

I'm sure you two ran the situation so that all the jobs you compared were at attack cap, but in a real party would that be the case? Say we've got a party with 4 people Savaging- DRG, COR, BRD and RDM (just throwing out jobs)- will the same buffs applied to all 4 result in all 4 reaching that mystical attack cap in a typical segment scenario? Or will they all vary slightly and require slightly different buffs/debuffs, and maybe some of that 4 would never reach it?

Again, I'm sure y'all ran in for a raw comparison, its more hoping for a bigger discussion so that term "attack cap" isn't thrown around by the playerbase as a whole so loosely. I think many "think" they're at cap, but rarely are.

It varies, but Naegling's Savage another advantage (sadly) is how easy you can cap attack with it. You don't use that much pdl with it, because Nyame is very good and you can usually only get few% higher SB by swapping one Nyame slot to some high PDL gear. Nyame also has massive attack.

From the jobs you posted, DRG has advantage of 20% attack bonus from wyvern, but will also have higher pdif to reach. COR will have advantage of Gleti's Knife attack from offhand. RDM can DiaIII if it's not fast paced trash killing, but some NM or stronger mobs.

Also generally 1h weapons has lower pdif cap and Naegling has Attack bonus on WS.
[+]
 Asura.Cariko
user: Kariko
By Asura.Cariko 2022-08-11 16:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think many "think" they're at cap, but rarely are.

It's been a mystery stat for so long that it feels like this should be surfaced in the game interface somehow, even if it's something clunky like the /check command. Would need to break the existing "Impossible to Gauge!" rule on not giving any info to be universally useful, though.

Quote:
The Epoch Chupacabra is incredibly tough.
It has incredibly low defense.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 16:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It varies, but Naegling's Savage another advantage (sadly) is how easy you can cap attack with it. You don't use that much pdl with it, because Nyame is very good and you can usually only get few% higher SB by swapping one Nyame slot to some high PDL gear. Nyame also has massive attack.

From the jobs you posted, DRG has advantage of 20% attack bonus from wyvern, but will also have higher pdif to reach. COR will have advantage of Gleti's Knife attack from offhand. RDM can DiaIII if it's not fast paced trash killing, but some NM or stronger mobs.

Also generally 1h weapons has lower pdif cap and Naegling has Attack bonus on WS.

True....I do forget the Naegling factor and the way any buff adds to things.
 Shiva.Liam
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Liam 2022-08-11 17:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I keep hoping the new posts in this thread are going to be "DAT-mined augments revealed!" or "emergency maint happened, sortie is live!"

:(

Wouldn't all this great ody info actually be better off stored in the ody discussion thread? would love to be able to find it again one day
[+]
By Viciouss 2022-08-11 17:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

How well did Ranger make off with the EMP gear? How is Ranger even doing these days?
By Nariont 2022-08-11 17:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

They got hover shot, and they can savage meme, life is good
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 17:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
How well did Ranger make off with the EMP gear? How is Ranger even doing these days?

Job in general is in a great place, but we definitely got more from Ikenga than from Empy+2. Some "interesting" additions but really, the only gap for the job these days (Archery) isn't going to be solved via just gear so I don't think many of us expected some massive "OMG" results from Empy+2 for anything.

-Feet look very nice for those without Nyame Path B in terms of Last Stand/Coronach
-Body gets a larger boost to Velocity Shot, so a slight improvement in preshot sets, but if you weren't using it already you can't start now (ie your build needed capped snapshot w/o the body slot already, and still does)
-one more tic of "+Bounty Shot" on hands I guess?

The other pieces added aren't bad certainly- but I don't see much in terms of replacing existing options. More just improving pieces for times you were already using them.

The JSE earring could be very interesting, depending on what we see augment wise. That's a big chunk of +PDL and -enmity in slots aren't exactly powerhouses for RNG's needs (all those racc+10 earrings we have now were nice a few years back, but these days its just overkill for RNGs).
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-08-11 18:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

it's about whether NIN SB is better than [insert other DD option].

It's much better than WAR and COR. Not better than KC RNG and KC DRG.

Uh... does NIN have Atk and STP buffs to help itself AND the entire party, to make it worth choosing over COR? Does NIN have Warcry that helps the whole party and better alternate non-slashing weapons than WAR? (and hell, Simon aren't you the same guy who argued that Ukon WAR was better anyway? Why not just use that?)

RNG doesn't need KC offhand to be better either, with TP Bonus bow + WSD+20% arrow being a thing.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-08-11 19:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That's disingenuous. You originally said "SB user" and specifically mentioned SB output, so comparing SB to SB output, NIN is better than WAR and COR. A single wielding Fencer WAR can't come close to matching the TP rate of a NIN, and WS numbers will be similar.

If you want to bring job utility into it, I'll just go ahead and say that Savagery is overrated for segments especially since you want to weaken a mob a little bit before weaponskilling anyway. COR obviously wins here but COR and NIN don't compete for the same slot so I don't know why you're bothering to compare the two to begin with. It has to be said that a NIN will take less damage than just about any other job in Sheol, can erase its own weakness if it happens to die, and is probably the safest job to pull Agon mobs with that isn't a PLD or RUN.

As far as damage types, hybrids and savage are enough for 90% of the monsters in Sheol and Tauret/Kaja knife can handle the other 10% if necessary. Ideally you'd just have the other DD(s) kill things like Rocs while the slashing DDs deal with another pack.

Honestly you probably just haven't seen an actual good NIN in action.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-08-11 19:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh... does NIN have Atk and STP buffs to help itself AND the entire party, to make it worth choosing over COR? Does NIN have Warcry that helps the whole party and better alternate non-slashing weapons than WAR? (and hell, Simon aren't you the same guy who argued that Ukon WAR was better anyway? Why not just use that?)

The context of your post sounded like compering jobs as DD who would use SB in Segments farming, not jobs overall and in that context NIN wins easily with COR and WAR. WAR using different weapons and adding dps to other jobs with several use of Warcry would be much harder to compere.

RNG doesn't need KC offhand to be better either, with TP Bonus bow + WSD+20% arrow being a thing.

Actually not. NIN has 15%WSD less, but has 10%WSD trait from /DRG which is multiplicative, so they end up with almost the same SB damage. Without KC, RNG will TP way slower tho, so it will be significantly behind.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-08-11 20:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

SB NIN is amazing, crappy that they have to use a sword and not their own native weapons.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-08-11 20:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate it. Wish Ten was a little bit better.
[+]
By Bosworth 2022-08-11 20:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never played nin, but was under the impression their hybrid weapon skills were better than SB. I've seen people pull off pretty insane numbers with their hybrid weapon skills.
 Quetzalcoatl.Makunouchi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Makunouchi 2022-08-11 20:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

wish the fast cast on BRD feet +2 was dt :(
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2022-08-11 20:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bosworth said: »
I've never played nin, but was under the impression their hybrid weapon skills were better than SB. I've seen people pull off pretty insane numbers with their hybrid weapon skills.
Not every mob is susceptible to hybrid WS, nor do you always have the proper buffs to support them. In these cases, you're stuck gimping with Ten or giving in to the Savage Blade meta.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2022-08-11 21:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Was really hoping that they would improve the set bonuses for this gear. Here's to hoping the +3 will do that by either increasing the proc rate or somehow making it easier to proc. Black Mage in mind with this one, but shot it the dark- when the set bonus procs, they can break the damage cap? BLM has been so neglected in the last several years, they really need something to make them stand out as a magical powerhouse again. removing the AOE damage penalties would also be a good start. there's no reason that BLU has unrestricted aoe nuking damage but BLM gets slapped with a neft despite all their spells having a much higher mp cost. GEO should also have the aoe penalty removed, or just remove it all together.
 Asura.Specialkid
By Asura.Specialkid 2022-08-11 21:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

cannot believe I just read some dude claiming to know violinist technique when they've admitted they haven't even TOUCHED a violin, and then proceed to go into the music equivalent of technobabble to try and sound superior

bro, I've played violin for years, I've seen top performers, and she's doing just fine! she doesn't sound like ***, she's performing as best as she can while a camera is being waved around, and you know what? Look at the position of her left hand. Beginner violinists don't play up there until they get the basics down up where the tuning pegs are. You play up there when you want to maintain the sound quality and texture of the notes you're playing. Go play with your julliard epeen somewhere else.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-08-11 21:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Timepassesbye said: »
Was really hoping that they would improve the set bonuses for this gear. Here's to hoping the +3 will do that by either increasing the proc rate or somehow making it easier to proc. Black Mage in mind with this one, but shot it the dark- when the set bonus procs, they can break the damage cap? BLM has been so neglected in the last several years, they really need something to make them stand out as a magical powerhouse again. removing the AOE damage penalties would also be a good start. there's no reason that BLU has unrestricted aoe nuking damage but BLM gets slapped with a neft despite all their spells having a much higher mp cost. GEO should also have the aoe penalty removed, or just remove it all together.

Can't fix Elemental AoE damage. Then they'd have to fix BLU.

What about the fictitious Misery WHM? What about their leet Daybreak AoE deeps. First SCHs took their jerb and now BLM gets to hang out with them and BLU in the AoE cool kids corner. UNACCEPTABLE!
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 21 22 23