First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-31 11:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
Aeonic is free and the whistle and horn wouldn't even pass 100m combined.
Disclaimer: Only if you are in a linkshell that does Aeonic runs. Also, only if you don't outright buy your currency (it costs roughly 80 mil in currency, even though you are essentially selling back 30 100 shells, you still need to spend the 80 mil to get it).

If you rely only on mercs and buy your horn, it could cost somewhere between 250mil to 300 mil for both horns.
By soralin 2020-07-31 12:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
Same problem with Pld (Aegis) and Geo (Idris).

For some jobs people just see REMA as required unfortunately.

Well for Pld, the 2 items you need are Aegis and Ochain. People dont care too much about burtgang from my experience, I have excalibur and no one cares, and Ambuscade Sword is also considered acceptable.

Ochain is free and can be farmed up in like 1-2 days solo no problem. Its a cake walk for the items.

Aegis is the cheapest relic to make, honestly speaking aegis isnt even the most expensive part of paladin in many cases. 2 pieces of Sov+1 gear cost more than aegis, and I wear 4 of em.

I wouldnt really compare paladin to bard.

You wanna know what the hardest item to get was? Goddamn Gold Moogle belt, *** that belt lol. Took me THREE YEARS to get the damn thing
 Phoenix.Oyama
Server: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-07-31 13:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that REA is essential, but Carn is a luxury that is more for the BRD's own sake, not for any performance advantage.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-07-31 14:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
Same problem with Pld (Aegis) and Geo (Idris).

For some jobs people just see REMA as required unfortunately.

Well for Pld, the 2 items you need are Aegis and Ochain. People dont care too much about burtgang from my experience, I have excalibur and no one cares, and Ambuscade Sword is also considered acceptable.

Ochain is free and can be farmed up in like 1-2 days solo no problem. Its a cake walk for the items.

Aegis is the cheapest relic to make, honestly speaking aegis isnt even the most expensive part of paladin in many cases. 2 pieces of Sov+1 gear cost more than aegis, and I wear 4 of em.

I wouldnt really compare paladin to bard.

You wanna know what the hardest item to get was? Goddamn Gold Moogle belt, *** that belt lol. Took me THREE YEARS to get the damn thing

At 3k HP that belt only gives a 90 HP bonus...
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-31 14:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Best is best
By soralin 2020-07-31 14:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

At 3k HP that belt only gives a 90 HP bonus...

Yes. Thats a lot from a belt.

Next best is Steppe Sash which gives 60, though most use Creed Baudrier which gives only 40, but also MDef and enmity.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-31 14:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oyama said: »
I agree that REA is essential, but Carn is a luxury that is more for the BRD's own sake, not for any performance advantage.

I definitely did +1 your post, and agree with it because 95% of the good from Carn is related to the duration that (with a proper set) allows you to ride NiTro all the time, severely cutting down on the time you spend singing.

But there is some undeniable performance advantages for it. Of course the first one people think of is having a mainhand weapon that both provides major perks to your buffing role, as well as being a respectable DD option (in particular once R15). But even the backline BRD will gain a lot from Carnwenhan when it comes to their enfeebles with the wonderful Magic Accuracy on the weapon. A very valuable piece of the puzzle for Elegy, Lullabies, Threnodies...all of it.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-07-31 15:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding the ability to keep a Marcato song up full time is no performance advantage? Longer SV songs is no performance advantage?

Plus, I mean... in a perfect world people all gather and get songs. But jeez, it's nice to have to herd those cats less often when you have longer duration songs.

IDK though, I guess it's irrelevant. DDs gonna die as soon as they get all the good songs anyway!
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-07-31 15:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

Adding the ability to keep a Marcato song up full time is no performance advantage? Longer SV songs is no performance advantage?

Plus, I mean... in a perfect world people all gather and get songs. But jeez, it's nice to have to herd those cats less often when you have longer duration songs.

IDK though, I guess it's irrelevant. DDs gonna die as soon as they get all the good songs anyway!

Even on Odin I have encountered groups that require REMA Brd, and won't let a Brd attend content if they lack Mythic. So it does happen.
[+]
 Phoenix.Oyama
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-07-31 17:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
But jeez, it's nice to have to herd those cats less often when you have longer duration songs.

Right, this would be what I meant by "for the BRD's own sake." It's convenience.

I hadn't thought of full-time Marcato though, that is definitely a thing. BRD does get a crapload of macc in gear, before Carn, and my BRD never really has trouble landing anything. Admittedly though, I think about it from the perspective of someone who made an REA brd for the sake of personnel flexibility in the LS, and happens to like the job well enough. REA + HQ whistle and some JSE really covers like 99% of what you need in order to be effective on it for most content, so that's what I would consider "essential." Carn if you're BRD main and want to max it out, but that goes without saying for any job.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-31 18:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Even on Odin I have encountered groups that require REMA Brd, and won't let a Brd attend content if they lack Mythic. So it does happen.

There's a gaping chasm of difference between what a group is demanding to for someone to join them, and what the content truly needs. Most of this current tangent is the result of frustrations of seeing those shouts for RMEA DDs for a Normal Ambu, or a Idris GEO for Tenzen when there is zero justification for such a bar to cross in order to be highly functional at the event.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-07-31 22:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gross. It's plainly obvious that Mythic should not at all be considered a requirement for a BRD for anything in the game, that's dumb and Oyama is definitely right that Carn is more a luxury. I did want to toss in a couple examples of actual performance increase from Mythic though, aside from just "you have to spend less time singing".

And even on the time spent singing piece... a DD missing a song is a huge loss. So the less chances you have for that to happen is definitely a good thing.

But I'm a duration+ junkie anyway. Prob more since I play buff/mage jobs on my alt though, so whenever I dual-box, the less time I have to do anything = more time focused on my main killing the things.
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2020-08-01 06:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gross. It's plainly obvious that Mythic should not at all be considered a requirement for a BRD for anything in the game, that's dumb and Oyama is definitely right that Carn is more a luxury. I did want to toss in a couple examples of actual performance increase from Mythic though, aside from just "you have to spend less time singing".

And even on the time spent singing piece... a DD missing a song is a huge loss. So the less chances you have for that to happen is definitely a good thing.

But I'm a duration+ junkie anyway. Prob more since I play buff/mage jobs on my alt though, so whenever I dual-box, the less time I have to do anything = more time focused on my main killing the things.

As a flawed career REMA BRD I cannot really remember what it was like to not have all my tools. They definitely changed things for me. That said, I have shifted my opinions a bit from being a hardliner on EVERYONE must be a REMA BRD. REA IS fine. Hell, even a RE BRD is fine. Or even a three song BRD with an above average gearset and a can-do attitude. I mean, four years ago I wasn’t geared at all but I was clearing stuff successfully with others. I think for perspective’s sake it’s good to remember where we came from and that this current set of content wasn’t always as forgiving as it used to be with or without our REMA.
[+]
 Asura.Karumac
user: Karuma
By Asura.Karumac 2020-08-01 08:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is, if you're not a balls to the wall full REMA BRD, but there's like 5 others who are and are also going "pick me pick me," guess who's not going to get picked?
[+]
By Crossbones 2020-08-01 11:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish we had that problem in our LS karu lol.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-08-01 13:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

There's a gaping chasm of difference between what a group is demanding to for someone to join them, and what the content truly needs. Most of this current tangent is the result of frustrations of seeing those shouts for RMEA DDs for a Normal Ambu, or a Idris GEO for Tenzen when there is zero justification for such a bar to cross in order to be highly functional at the event.

One reason I'm glad I'm not on Asura where I've read about people who demand REMA DDs for CP parties lol
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-08-01 14:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people on Asura just pay people running Easy Farm to get job points for them.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-08-01 14:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »
Most people on Asura just pay people running Easy Farm to get job points for them.
not just on asura. its so common that ppl feel comfortable braging about their surplus of puls weapons in ingame chat.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-08-01 15:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »

It's both very impressive and sad that I come back after months off and there's just a whole new set of JP shouters instead of people being capped out on JP by now. Means we either have new blood coming through, or people are spreading out on jobs, but it's sad that there seems to always be enough business for new JP farmers to keep going all the time.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 16:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's wild right? Definitely aren't that many new people. So where the hell is the endless supply coming from.

I ask this pretty much every day.... FOUR Crocea Mors sell. every. day. ...to WHO. Where are all these billion rdms at? (It's rhetorical, I know that there are at any given time 10,000 crocea sitting in mog houses, the part that's stupid is why. you spend 300,000,000 to use it for 3 days and then never again, yay that was a fun fad, whats next)((rhetorical means I don't need to you type out an essay in response))
 Asura.Avellion
user: Avellion
By Asura.Avellion 2020-08-02 13:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's wild right? Definitely aren't that many new people. So where the hell is the endless supply coming from.

I ask this pretty much every day.... FOUR Crocea Mors sell. every. day. ...to WHO. Where are all these billion rdms at? (It's rhetorical, I know that there are at any given time 10,000 crocea sitting in mog houses, the part that's stupid is why. you spend 300,000,000 to use it for 3 days and then never again, yay that was a fun fad, whats next)((rhetorical means I don't need to you type out an essay in response))

Seems to be quite a few new people.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-02 13:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

in regards to the selling of high-end items in rates that seem out of line with server populations:

people do get banned and return, and re-gear. And a lot of times, those people who get the banhammer have "methods" for getting large sums of gil fast to re-gear fast.

I do think, in particular in april/may, we saw a LOT of long lost FFXI'ers return during quarantine, and some spent that COVID relief on gil, we all know it. They came back after years gone, checked the BiS sets on forum stickies, and went to town.

As for those who buy 100m+ items, use them for a week and retire them...yeah I don't get that either. Even if you had an unlimited supply of gil I'd think you'd at least analyze your purchases before you made them, but then again Lottery winners IRL buy giant statues of the Piggly Wiggly Pig for their pools.

In regards to CP'ing:

I know Ive been playing for the better part of 12 years and only have 8 mastered jobs. I don't CP for fun, so I got the jobs I wanted and stopped. Now, about every 9 months or so I finally decide to gear a new job, and need to CP again. However, I like most see CP'ing as time to learn the basics of a job in a party setting- I'm not paying to afk CP.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7