New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Tips From Job Masters
Tips From Job Masters
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Shichishito 2020-07-16 23:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

melee SMN is a nice gimmick for soloing apex mobs. SMN has one of the lowest HP pools of all jobs and to my knowledge they don't have access to a -50% damage taken set that also lets you melee effectively.
ppl mainly bring SMN to deal damage from a safe distance, if you want to melee you are a better of bringing melee jobs.

what i'd rather like to see is SMNs attempting to setup skillchains with other SMN pets and CORs. they have access to every lvl 2 property so why not make use of it.
 Asura.Jdove
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-16 23:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
melee SMN is a nice gimmick for soloing apex mobs. SMN has one of the lowest HP pools of all jobs and to my knowledge they don't have access to a -50% damage taken set that also lets you melee effectively.
ppl mainly bring SMN to deal damage from a safe distance, if you want to melee you are a better of bringing melee jobs.

what i'd rather like to see is SMNs attempting to setup skillchains with other SMN pets and CORs. they have access to every lvl 2 property so why not make use of it.
smn is fine meleeing even in a full DT set theres plenty of options if you look for them its not a gimmic either its great for a lot of things. and why just skillchain with other summoners and cor's you can setup skillchains with every job. Even better skillchain with other jobs while you are meleeing too.
 Asura.Ramsy
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2020-07-16 23:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

- What are some common mistakes you see new-to-job 99's make?
New 99's try to jump right into higher end content like Dyna D/Omen/T4s in things like Ilvl117 gear. They get turned and think because they cant join these things they need to just get things merced for them instead of just doing other progression things.
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
The alt mule thing is when I form up a Dyna farm, I go with free drops and think it unfair for an alt to get drops.
Just because someone brings an alt doesnt mean they want x2 the drops. This is normally just to speed things entering
By Shichishito 2020-07-16 23:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

the only time i'd deem SMN meleeing acceptable is if i know the enemy has 0 AoE. is there anything noteworthy that doesn't AoE in 2020?
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-17 00:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cicion said: »
Geos not understanding how to use bubbles. Bolstering that indi spell not standing anywhere near said monster, having a bubble out there bolstering and not unsummoning and re summoning the bubble with bolster potency. General lazyness not tossing out cures, (You can get 700easy with basic 50% cure pot set 850 if you really try. No more basic 450s please) frazzle distracting dia and impacting, hasteing if no rdm. Do better.

Man this times a *** million. GEO is my second career job and it pisses me the *** off when I see other GEOs enter Omen and *** AFK there.

Dog, if I'm not placing bubbles I'm ALWAYS hasting the alliance or healing. If my rotations are done? I nuke and debuff (barring Dyna-3).

I get that GEO is the easiest *** job in the game but come on dude.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2020-07-17 00:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Geos not understanding how to use bubbles. Bolstering that indi spell not standing anywhere near said monster, having a bubble out there bolstering and not unsummoning and re summoning the bubble with bolster potency. General lazyness not tossing out cures, (You can get 700easy with basic 50% cure pot set 850 if you really try. No more basic 450s please) frazzle distracting dia and impacting, hasteing if no rdm. Do better.

Man this times a *** million. GEO is my second career job and it pisses me the *** off when I see other GEOs enter Omen and *** AFK there.

Dog, if I'm not placing bubbles I'm ALWAYS hasting the alliance or healing. If my rotations are done? I nuke and debuff (barring Dyna-3).

I've gotten so pissed off with bang-average or worse GEOs that I've started experimenting with other supports (SMN, DNC, BST etc). It's what you said, it's the easiest job in the game but it seems the majority make zero effort in even getting to that standard.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-17 00:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what happens when every person who comes back/starts new gets told to play GEO (and WHM) to get gear.

Only have yourselves to blame
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Mrgrim 2020-07-17 00:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

I've gotten so pissed off with bang-average or worse GEOs that I've started experimenting with other supports (SMN, DNC, BST etc). It's what you said, it's the easiest job in the game but it seems the majority make zero effort in even getting to that standard.

Lol during my time on Asura I encountered GEOs that would just drop GEO bubbles and not go to the front lines and apply Indi-buff/debuff bubble themselves to to help/debuff allies/monsters. Terribad as fakk man, to top it off 2 of them were Idris GEOs, that really grinded my gears lmao.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2020-07-17 01:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

whm/rdm

any whm who subs anything other than sch.

any whitemage who doesnt cast reraise at the start of a fight or immediately after they are raised from death. also those who do not know how to use accession, Esuna, sacrifice or apply cureskin.

THF or players who thing TH is for rare drops. who dont now how the loot pool works since it does not make rare items force drop.

player who cant respectively wipe and reset. example players dont know how to "zombie" or dot a mob. just overall lack the ability to continue/figure out how to succeed after a initial wipe. they just want to quit and start over. however i guess that is s.e fault since they changed the game to be that way.

BRD who don't use their debuffs. i cant mention how many times I've saved a ambuscade or omen run because i made sure ppl stayed away from spawn point and made sure after i sang nitro songs i also put nitro requiem. learn how to wipe/reset ppl....
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 01:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

cuddlyhamster said: »
I bring the mules so other people can go on jobs they enjoy.

But on topic, I dont like brds that sing 4 dummy songs then 4 real songs. I also dont like brds that sing 2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs.
I would rather people sing 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs.

Why does this matter if I may ask?
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-17 01:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure I see the point cuddlyhamster is making.
What does he even mean for "dummy"? A song that's not useful like Operetta and so on?
By Mrxi 2020-07-17 01:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

dummy is the 2 you sing after the 2 with horn, from a harp. afaik. i dont exactly now what im doing but i have been using the t1 attack and def songs because i will never use them with horn.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-07-17 02:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I'm not sure I see the point cuddlyhamster is making.
What does he even mean for "dummy"? A song that's not useful like Operetta and so on?
Do you even BRD?!? :p

I'll agree I hate people that do 4 dummy/placeholders then sing real songs. Doesn't matter much if it's prefight but if you just ate dispels it can make a big difference for Tanks/DDs if you get those 2 marches typically up over the last 2 songs. So 2R/2P/2R makes more sense to me. Also the 4P/4R can become a problem if your doing multi party since your singing extra songs and eatting JA time up.

I see where he's going with how he also prefers it (only the 4 songs your going to end with being cast to start with) but most of us are using GS and don't like to manually toggle for when to use Empy Harp. So most just use certain dummy/placeholder songs to trigger when to use Empy then overwrite them vs casting 2 Real songs, 2 real but gimped versions(using empy), then re-singing those same 2 songs with GHorn.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-17 02:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Mrxi said: »
dummy is the 2 you sing after the 2 with horn, from a harp. afaik.
I don't think the point is how you call them. A lot of people call them "dummy", I usually call them "fake", but whatever, same thing.

The point is more what he means with the word he used.
For me a "fake" or "dummy" is a song not sung with Ghorn but with Daurdabla to go beyond the default limit of two songs per player.
You then have to overwrite those 2 songs with Ghorn to grant your players a full potency song.

Point is that those two fakes/dummys don't have to be "random songs", they can be whatever, they're still fakes/dummys.
Let's say you're supposed to give Honor March, Blade Madrigal, Minuet5 and Minuet4, ok?

You're gonna sing HM with Marsyas (obviously), BM with Ghorn, then Minu5 and 4 with Daurdabla.
Then you will have to overwrite those 2 minuets with Ghorn ones.

Some people have different habits, they have a generic macro where they apply fake/dummy songs by using 2 random "useless" songs. Like Operetta, Aubade, anything really.
I'm not really sure how this habit started, I guess someone shared macros like that years ago and everybody else followed without even questioning the approach.
To this day I see a lot of people still has this habit.
/shrug

I dunno, it sorta makes sense to simplify things if we're talking about a BRD mule that you're multiboxing, but for a BRD main at least it never really made sense to me, as a matter of fact I've never used such approach.
But then again I build my own luas from zero so I guess I'm the odd one here.
[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2020-07-17 02:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
cuddlyhamster said: »
I bring the mules so other people can go on jobs they enjoy.

But on topic, I dont like brds that sing 4 dummy songs then 4 real songs. I also dont like brds that sing 2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs.
I would rather people sing 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs.

Why does this matter if I may ask?

4 dummy songs then 4 real songs - It is mainly time. Ive seen people stand around, not killing stuff because they dont want to miss songs.

2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs vs 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs
Using Marcato HM, 1 minuet and 2 madrigals for wave3 dyna. with 2 paeons for the dummys. if something happens and buffs are removed/dispelled then its a minor dps loss for around 5 seconds where you are casting paeons instead of madrigals. it is a difference of 87 acc from just HM compared to 254 acc with HM and bad madrigals.
It is a personal preference for the DDs to DD a bit better with bad real songs compared to dummy songs.

EDIT: cuz i take too long to type things out.
"dummy" to me is a song you wouldnt actually maintain on a player. like a paeon or an operetta, unless you really want them to lose the parse.
And Im assuming real players cuz thats what I thought of when I read the topic title
By Mrxi 2020-07-17 02:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't actually done anything as brd yet, thanks for explaining that.
[+]
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2020-07-17 03:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
By Afania 2020-07-16 20:48:46
Link | Block | Pm | Quote | Reply  | Report | Score: 2 +

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
When the paladin says "let me macro flash rq"
/p how long until we enter Dynamis?
/p how long have they been advancing?
How long is the wait for ambuscade
I can bring my alt if you need
I have a mule
Whm and Geo, need to get us both we're a set
My friend has Cor, rolls only ok?
/yell anyone doing anything?
/yell where is the dragon currently?
/p hold on, I have to walk my dog
I need erase and haste
I need paralyna and erase
I don't have any echoes
This isn't a wave 3 clear?
Why can't I lot on volte?
Stop pulling for a moment, I'm out of MP
Full break is weak, I'll open with Ukko's
You used Blood Rage? I'll use warcry so we get two buffs
Players that show up with zero buffs
" " " With no reraise items
" " " No food, no clue, on /follow, afk'g at random

Oh wow, no offense but that's a very long list of things that you don't like. I wonder how you'd ever enjoy playing the MMO if some of above bothers you so much.

I especially don't get why people asking for dragon locations piss you off. It's not possible to get the message in some unity and the fastest way is to ask.

As far as alt goes, I absolutely love it when people bring alt, saves me the time to find more people. Now I know that even offering an alt an offend people lol.

Seconded on all 3 of your points Afania

I believe that gear separates people of equal skill only (if they are a lazy PoS and non-attentive it does not matter how good they are when they are trying).

This is a social game, but people have lives, if they are unreliable remove them from your group. However, if you refuse to build a full ls and bring pugs, you chose to deal with all the problems pugs can and will bring to the table. If your selling said clears ALL the problems that brings are on you.

Furthermore, Yojimmbo
Quote:
1) unlock the job
2) pay to have it PL'd to 99
3) buy gil to get neck+2 with stacks of heroism crystal
4) pay to have it Master
5) buy gil to get BiS accessories
6) buy gil to unlock wave3
7) buy gil to unlock wave3
8) buy gil to R15 your weapon
9) /yell buying any amount of anything because I live at home and can blow my stimulus to get good.
10) run my fist into glass because it gives me an outlet even if for only a moment.

1~8 That is a strawman argument and especially since you hand waved away the point of the thread to rant about your personal feelings about the playerbase in question.
9 Since it is impossible to be true for everyone (or even some), it would be best not to list a potential fringe case as the status quo.
10 If this game makes you feel this way, seek help, seriously nothing about a game should make you want to harm yourself. (normally I would assume you are not serious, but your tone suggests otherwise)

Post deleted by User.
By Fayona 2020-07-17 05:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, a lot of this stuff just sounds like Asura problems. If people receive little support and end up buying their way into content because they’ve been told that they can’t do x,y,z, without BiS and 5 x Rema, they either get discouraged and quit or they flail around thinking that paying for JP and to gear up will let them accomplish whatever it is they plan to do.

Parts of the ffxi community have changed a lot since the old days. There isn’t as much of a collaborative spirit at time especially in the gaps between waiting for new content to be released. I think it would help a lot of people to remember all the help they recieved through out their journey in FFXI. If you are tired of running into these kinds of things, maybe invite some non-geared players into your shells and build them up. Chose people based on their character and train skills. Then perhaps you won’t feel the need to come and complain about how you’re too good and everyone needs to bend the knee and avert their gaze in the aura of your afterglow.

TLDR FFS this thread is dumb, welcome to my ted talk.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Epics
Server: Midgardsormr
user: syztems
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2020-07-17 05:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

some of these comments makes me wonder what the hell are you guys doing in an MMO.
[+]
 Asura.Pusheen
user: Tyrael
By Asura.Pusheen 2020-07-17 05:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

"Tips From Job Masters" is the OP so here it goes:

Read job guides. Don't Play DRK.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2020-07-17 06:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pusheen said: »
"Tips From Job Masters" is the OP so here it goes:

Read job guides. Don't Play DRK.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 06:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I guess I understand the Bard songs thing.

Anyways, Bards. If you say "gather songs" and we don't gather for our songs, it's our fault and it's up to your discretion to be nice and apply our missed songs. But if you just sing mindlessly and don't tell us to gather and we ask for our missed songs and you give us an attitude, get the hell off of Bard.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-17 06:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of the experience of playing BRD main for several years throughout very different content I can say sometimes being BRD can be frustrating.

Not just for the players who don't gather when you call for it, but also for unwanted player deaths, or unwanted dispel.
Keeping 4 (even worse: 5!) songs up and debuffing monsters, and sleeping, AND doing DPS yourself while also making sure all the correct songs are always up can be... taxing.

Now imagine if you have to pianissimo multiple songs in your party or, even worse, if you have to do that across TWO parties, syncronizing with another BRD, or when you have to overwrite a high duration song with a low duration one like Ballad.

...there's a proper solution to all of these things, but when they happen all together in a short span of time I can tell you it can feel really stressing to be a BRD main.
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-17 07:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
the only time i'd deem SMN meleeing acceptable is if i know the enemy has 0 AoE. is there anything noteworthy that doesn't AoE in 2020?
Lots of ambuscades odyssey, even omen bosses , mid bosses etc you can safely melee you just need to use proper buffs to counter it.
You can cap out DT on summoner with out even using any of the 5 armor slots.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-17 08:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

improper use of parsing. On so many levels, for so many reasons.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 08:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Apes said: »
Side note: COR Rolls - Fighters/Mnk/Rogue/Allies over Chaos if attack is capped by BRD and GEO.
I, along other CORs in my shell, pretty much only stick to Fighters/Samurai.

Our tanks are pretty good, so no need for Counter or Evasion edit: brain fart, and while SC damage + is nice, if you can turn a 5 hit WAR to 4 hit and a 4 hit DRK to 3 hit, it's probably better to have STP over SCD when you are capped haste and not exactly Magic Bursting the damage.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7