Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 08:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Monk's and Rogue's roll is Subtle Blow + and Critical Hit Rate+
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought it was Counter/Evasion+.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-07-17 09:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of Counter roll how much does it actually give? I assume with +7/8 phantom roll it would put monk close to cap?
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-17 09:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Parts of the ffxi community have changed a lot since the old days. There isn’t as much of a collaborative spirit at time especially in the gaps between waiting for new content to be released

This was a thing even back in the 75 era, I don't know what you're talking about. Do you remember merit partys, be it greater colibri, caderva mire, or mamools? People shouted for 2x bard, 1x rdm, sam/war/drk or w/e because 2 handers were stronger than 1 handers at the time and completely ignored the off jobs ALL THE FREAKINN TIME. The HNM scene revolved around a few specific jobs against most mobs, largely favoring BLM nuking half of the gods. Jobs like dancer, beastmaster, puppetmaster, thief, etc were excluded from most major events and only used for simple stuff like asssaults and limbus, jobs like summoner and blm were excluded completely from almost every merit party... hell blm's were leveling down from 75 to 74 in limbus because they had no place at merit camp so it was manaburn the pudding camp in halvuung or bust.

Ever since people first started doing end game they have always gravitated towards the most effecient way of doing things and shyed away from lesser useful jobs and combos. That doesn't mean they weren't used at all, but you had to have connections or be a really freakin good player to get an exception in a lot of cases. You're remembering the good old days through a rose tinted glass, but the truth of the matter is that player mentality hasn't changed all that much over the years.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 09:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
Speaking of Counter roll how much does it actually give? I assume with +7/8 phantom roll it would put monk close to cap?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Avenger%27s_Roll

Kind of a dumb roll to give a Monk, or really any job besides maybe a PLD/RUN. MNK and SAM can cap counter + dt with a variety of sets, the latter can overcap it with Seigan + Third Eye. You get more out of Fighters/Chaos/Tacticians/Samurai/Rogue's rolls
 Fenrir.Melphina
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-17 09:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly samurai/chaos or samurai/fighter's is pretty standard for melee setups, and wizards's/tactician for dynamis stone nuking. Warlock/wizard for blm if nuking Kei or something similar, and not much else is used aside from hunters here and there and the odd pet buffs for summoner content. The defensive corsair buffs just don't hold as much weight as their offensive ones.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-07-17 09:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Lothire
user: Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-17 09:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fayona said: »
Honestly, a lot of this stuff just sounds like Asura problems. If people receive little support and end up buying their way into content because they’ve been told that they can’t do x,y,z, without BiS and 5 x Rema, they either get discouraged and quit or they flail around thinking that paying for JP and to gear up will let them accomplish whatever it is they plan to do.

Parts of the ffxi community have changed a lot since the old days. There isn’t as much of a collaborative spirit at time especially in the gaps between waiting for new content to be released. I think it would help a lot of people to remember all the help they recieved through out their journey in FFXI. If you are tired of running into these kinds of things, maybe invite some non-geared players into your shells and build them up. Chose people based on their character and train skills. Then perhaps you won’t feel the need to come and complain about how you’re too good and everyone needs to bend the knee and avert their gaze in the aura of your afterglow.

TLDR FFS this thread is dumb, welcome to my ted talk.

I was kind of hoping that through the ***, people will find nuggets of help, and I think it still holds true as above there was a fantastic discussion about BRD that seems to have helped at least one person.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 10:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lothire said: »
I was kind of hoping that through the ***, people will find nuggets of help
 Asura.Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-17 10:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I was kind of hoping that through the ***, people will find nuggets of help

Hey I'm learning a lot from the triggering thats going on!
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-07-17 10:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess people would expect me to rant about COR, so here it goes:

- What are some common mistakes you see new-to-job 99's make?

Use Leaden Salute on everything, regardless of monster family and resistances. Nothing makes you look doofier than popping it off versus undead, etc. Wildfire exists for a reason.

- What is a something you notice a lot of people aren't doing that they should?

Thinking before they melee. TP feed and mp-sponging aren't always appropriate in every situation. There really are times when you're better off subbing mage and providing support. Meleeing isn't a human right. Epeening is a serious affliction.

And if something pops Perfect Dodge or you're weak, for the love of god don't sit there swinging at air or swinging in slow motion like an idiot. Ranged attack!

And please please please please Light Shot after Dia.

- What piece of gear do you think a job absolutely needs to actually be useful, if any?

Not having DP doesn't make a COR useless. Having DP doesn't automatically make a COR good. Adaptable TP and WS sets will make much more difference on DPS than your gun will.

- What pisses you off more than anything about how some people play the job?

They jumped on the bandwagon in the first place.
[+]
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
user: Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2020-07-17 10:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Even an alt deserves drops, it's doing part of the job you know, else just get a trust in its place a hope it does the right buffs, see if you like it.

of course the should be a priority real player doing its work > alt > real player sucking at its job.

sucking doesnt mean not having the gear to perform better, but sucking for real as in not knowing what to do and when to do.

A friend of mine who run dynamis was asked by another player why he wouldnt be allowed in the ally in place of a mule for W3 runs. My friend said : "you can if you perform equal or better than the mules"
 Phoenix.Oyama
Server: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-07-17 10:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

In my LS, mules do not get to lot unless everyone's main already has/doesn't need an item. Mains > Mules. 1 player = 1 lot.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-17 10:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »
Lots of ambuscades odyssey, even omen bosses , mid bosses etc you can safely melee you just need to use proper buffs to counter it.
You can cap out DT on summoner with out even using any of the 5 armor slots.

jse neck or loricate 5-6%
defending 10$
vocane +1 8%
khonsu grip 6%
ambu/moonlight cape 5-6%
augmented odnowa 3%
staunch tathlum +1 3$
and probably some belt i currently can't find for 5%?

gets me to 45-47% but also gimps your pet and sacrifices almost all accessory slots for -dt where other melee chars also find a source for melee stats like acc. what did i miss?

i mean it sounds fun but i woudn't for example want a SMN, or any mage, stand close if mid boss omen tripod starts leg whirling tbh.
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2020-07-17 10:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

now one of the things i dislike, its
*Not having support outside the main party, RDMs wont haste ppl outside their party, and dont like to be asked for it.
*WHMs not liking being asked for stonas or erases, well.... if you were doing your job , you wouldnt have to be asked.
*Not having diversity of jobs "I'm DD only" wont cut it anymore.
any player should have all aspects covered support, tank, healer,
dd, or bring an alt who does.
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2020-07-17 10:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oyama said: »
In my LS, mules do not get to lot unless everyone's main already has/doesn't need an item. Mains > Mules. 1 player = 1 lot.

yeah absolutely, real players take priority, and spoils are divided only between real players, but lets say for example, all main CORs have Dingir ring, next could be lotted by a COR alt, instead of the typical person who has all lvl99 jobs, possibly mastered, but always plays DRK.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 10:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
probably some belt i currently can't find for 5%?
flume belt?
By Shichishito 2020-07-17 11:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

that one is just 4$ -pdt. which ever belt it is, the 5% are already calculated in the 45%-47%. is there maybe a -8% dt belt for SMN?
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-17 11:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Lots of ambuscades odyssey, even omen bosses , mid bosses etc you can safely melee you just need to use proper buffs to counter it.
You can cap out DT on summoner with out even using any of the 5 armor slots.

jse neck or loricate 5-6%
defending 10$
vocane +1 8%
khonsu grip 6%
ambu/moonlight cape 5-6%
augmented odnowa 3%
staunch tathlum +1 3$
and probably some belt i currently can't find for 5%?

gets me to 45-47% but also gimps your pet and sacrifices almost all accessory slots for -dt where other melee chars also find a source for melee stats like acc. what did i miss?

i mean it sounds fun but i woudn't for example want a SMN, or any mage, stand close if mid boss omen tripod starts leg whirling tbh.
honestly i dont even need full DT to survive you are foregeting lilith pole and adding a lot of stuff you don't need, as far as your pets go you can just swap into blood pact gear as you normally would you arent going to die if you switch gear for blood pacts. i only equip a dt set if everyone else dies usually im the last one standing when that happens. yes there are some scenario's where meleeing is a bad idea but for the most part its a good idea what else are you gonna do between blood pacts stand there? Even if you happened to die while doing this weakness doesnt effect summoner's pets so you could just hang back and blood pact like you normally would. I simply cannot just stand there and do nothing for 20 secs when i could be doing so much more. You just have to try it experiment with gear and find what works for you. Don't be afraid to be creative. I simply cant ignore half of what my job can do, theres pets then theres you if you are only using pets then you are neglecting half your potential. This is how i play if you dont wanna do it dont do it. But its still annoying how over looked this is.
By Oragel 2020-07-17 11:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just skimming through the thread, it seems like most are just trying to say the get upset at people not having gearswap. I’ve figured out ways to have specific sets in vanilla play, but it uses a ton of macro pallets for one job and does have user lag. /ja last resort can take me to a book that has a different to set, then I have to manually click back to a different book/set when it goes off. So there is a little bit of efficiency loss. I don’t know that it has anything to do with mastered jobs though.
By Shichishito 2020-07-17 11:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly i dont even need full DT to survive you are foregetting lilith pole and adding alot of stuff you dont need, as far as your pets go you can just swap into blood pact gear as you normally would you arent going to die if you switch gear for blood pacts. i only equip a dt set if everyone else dies usually im the last one standing when that happens.
i already find it questionable to swap khonsu grip as you'd lose TP in the process but also dropping nirvana for malignance pole, i don't know man.

even with capped -dt you still have one of the lowest HP pools in the game.

i'd rather stand back and attempt to SC with someone elses pet, melee or ranged while beeing safe from damage and debuffs, help support with backup cures and have a easier time MP managing due to refresh idle set.
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-07-17 11:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM: You are more than a Crocea FOTM. Look into it. Be more.
SCH: You can be more than a Skillchain provider.
PUP: You can be more than a puptank.
DNC: Not every occasion is a saber dance occasion.
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-17 11:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

To each thier own. But what do you need nirvana for between pets? i prefer to keep nirvana on for am3 when meleeing but not for my pets for myself i'm not overly worried about DT tho.
 Asura.Ramsy
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2020-07-17 12:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

cuddlyhamster said: »
I bring the mules so other people can go on jobs they enjoy.

But on topic, I dont like brds that sing 4 dummy songs then 4 real songs. I also dont like brds that sing 2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs.
I would rather people sing 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs.

Why does this matter if I may ask?

4 dummy songs then 4 real songs - It is mainly time. Ive seen people stand around, not killing stuff because they dont want to miss songs.

2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs vs 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs
Using Marcato HM, 1 minuet and 2 madrigals for wave3 dyna. with 2 paeons for the dummys. if something happens and buffs are removed/dispelled then its a minor dps loss for around 5 seconds where you are casting paeons instead of madrigals. it is a difference of 87 acc from just HM compared to 254 acc with HM and bad madrigals.
It is a personal preference for the DDs to DD a bit better with bad real songs compared to dummy songs.

EDIT: cuz i take too long to type things out.
"dummy" to me is a song you wouldnt actually maintain on a player. like a paeon or an operetta, unless you really want them to lose the parse.
And Im assuming real players cuz thats what I thought of when I read the topic title
I mean anytime your getting 4/5 songs up is prefight so you really wouldnt need to worry about losing anything to dispel. Plus during fight you can also just rewrite songs over before they fall so you only ever need to worry about redoing dummies due to dispel or death.
By cuddlyhamster 2020-07-17 12:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ramsy said: »
I bring the mules so other people can go on jobs they enjoy.

But on topic, I dont like brds that sing 4 dummy songs then 4 real songs. I also dont like brds that sing 2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs.
I would rather people sing 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs.

Why does this matter if I may ask?

4 dummy songs then 4 real songs - It is mainly time. Ive seen people stand around, not killing stuff because they dont want to miss songs.

2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs vs 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs
Using Marcato HM, 1 minuet and 2 madrigals for wave3 dyna. with 2 paeons for the dummys. if something happens and buffs are removed/dispelled then its a minor dps loss for around 5 seconds where you are casting paeons instead of madrigals. it is a difference of 87 acc from just HM compared to 254 acc with HM and bad madrigals.
It is a personal preference for the DDs to DD a bit better with bad real songs compared to dummy songs.

EDIT: cuz i take too long to type things out.
"dummy" to me is a song you wouldnt actually maintain on a player. like a paeon or an operetta, unless you really want them to lose the parse.
And Im assuming real players cuz thats what I thought of when I read the topic title
I mean anytime your getting 4/5 songs up is prefight so you really wouldnt need to worry about losing anything to dispel. Plus during fight you can also just rewrite songs over before they fall so you only ever need to worry about redoing dummies due to dispel or death.
While im pretty sure its not the intended meaning, but the 'buffing prefight' ties in to my 'people standing around, not killing stuff' peeve
But yes, the rest of my post was discussing dispel/song removal somehow and why i prefer partial potency songs over useless songs.
 Bahamut.Minimuse
Server: Bahamut
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2020-07-17 15:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Beginning COR tips:
You don't need 4 guns and and 3 Rostams to play the job well and parse high.

Start small and obtain basic roll gear. Support is your primary job. Your first 2 guns should be a Roll Gun (Compensator) and an Anarchy2 TP1k (for melee DD). Build a good DT/MEVA set to help you survive in dangerous frontline conditions.

You can build a Savage Blade melee set that will place you near the top of the parse with a Naegling main hand and an Anarchy2 TP1k gun. These do not cost gil, just time.

Dynamis (D)
Until you do get a Death Penalty, please do not Leaden Salute Dyna bosses if there is a DP15 COR in the alliance. A properly buffed DP15 COR can hit 90k+ Leaden Salutes. But if your 10k-20k Leaden lands before mine does, you can reduce my Leaden to 5k damage. Use Wildfire, Last Stand or Savage Blade instead please. The object is to kill bosses as cleanly and and fast as possible to get the win for the whole alliance.

Lowering a DP15 COR's damage output could cost the alliance win. While other heavy DD grab and cap hate on the Wave3 boss, DP15 CORs have minimal hate with an elemental WS. As such, heavy DD often die because of the hate mechanics. Therefore, it is imperative for DP CORs to push maximum damage output to offset Heavy DD deaths.

However, Leaden Salute to your hearts content on statues...just don't melee the statues please. Meleeing statues can cause wipes.
[+]
 Asura.Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-17 19:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I know nobody takes THF to ***, but anyone have tips for them?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-17 19:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevereverevereverever use a sandung.

Plant hate on whoever happens to be there, don't be afraid to TA a GEO... If it's dangerous to be inline or impossible to line up the tank (back to a wall)

Other than that just standard stuff. Use DT. Play optimally. Use Ja appropriately.

TH is strictly matter of opinion. (how badly you want +14 vs how much time you're willing to waste on it)
[+]
 Asura.Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-17 20:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Nevereverevereverever use a sandung.

Plant hate on whoever happens to be there, don't be afraid to TA a GEO... If it's dangerous to be inline or impossible to line up the tank (back to a wall)

Other than that just standard stuff. Use DT. Play optimally. Use Ja appropriately.

TH is strictly matter of opinion. (how badly you want +14 vs how much time you're willing to waste on it)

b-but my s-sandung...
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-07-17 20:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If going in as a TH Thf to either Dyna or Omen, sub BLM. Casting Sleepga as a Thf will apply TH 8 to every monster you tag. You can then manually melee additional monsters to try and push it past lvl 8 should you desire.

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7