Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Mafai 2019-11-16 21:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure why anyone even crashed the medal market to begin with.

The exploit was capable of making unlimited gil directly.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-16 21:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

They didn't know that though

If they did, they would've just cashed out made a hundred grand and bailed. ( I would've )

Dupe could've gone on even longer, and there would've been no clues since gil is "invisible" Got greedy with the medals and got caught.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Mafai 2019-11-16 21:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It still would have been realized, m/dollar price was tanking.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-16 21:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been tanking for a year, it only got noticed because people had way to many medals

Suspected, but nothing was too extraordinary.

If they would've just kept feeding shields medals on the dl they'd still be getting away with it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ashleyz 2019-11-16 22:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Dexterm that "if" anyone on the Windower Team knew about this exploit prior to Thorny's discovery, they should have perused the moral high ground and report it to SE. I also understand why Thorny went about his method to make sure SE got the message loud, clear, and not able to sweep it under the rug. And Eiryl, you are completely correct about the long term devaluation of Beastmen and Kindred Medals, I haven't sold any metals in a long time because I refuse to devalue the time I invested in Dynamis D. Everyone who does Dynamis D was cheated out of the full price of their time investment. Think of it as in terms of taxes, you earn a certain amount of money per month and the government slowly increases taxes every paycheck, you are still working the same hours but your paycheck keeps getting smaller and smaller. This is something that should outrage every player that has sold a medal and not gotten the full value on their time investment.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-16 22:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Windower team has reasonable deniability, because people say dumb *** all day long in the ashita discord and I'm sure it's the same in windower. They aren't any more responsible just because someone happened to post it there, buried in an addon nobody was using, that wouldn't be able to do the exploit on it's own anyway. Expecting them to not only catch the error in someone they don't care about's addon, but assume it had any deeper meaning, and try it on other items is absolutely ridiculous.

The secret to eternal life could be buried in some dumbshit's addon in ashita discord, and I'd never find it because I'm not looking.

If you have any actual evidence they were doing it, sure. But, Chiaia and his 100m is nothing. 100m is pennies to people who had this. Maybe he bought it, maybe a friend gave it to him, who knows? I've given more than that to my friends before.

For that matter, unless you've got some huge grudge against him and actively track what he's doing, who are you to say he doesn't play enough to make that gil? This really just reads like you're either upset about the exploit and looking for someone to blame, or really don't like Chiaia and want to throw something at him.
[+]
By Ashleyz 2019-11-16 22:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't speaking of Chia directly, 100m is a small amount of gil, I was saying if anyone on the team that seen it.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-16 22:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My last post was directed at Dexterm.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-16 22:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, maybe someone could've known. But, in reality, that just amounts to slander. You basically name dropped Chia, over some extremely tiny purchases. You have no evidence anyone knew. 'Someone could have known', yea. But, that could be said about any circle or anyone, you just chose to single out windower and Chiaia.

To my understanding, the medal comment he posted was not sent to windower or Chi, all he did was ask Chi to remove the addon where he made that mistake. It probably took him that long because he didn't realize the mistake was made until much later. Sending a storage slip multiple times is probably not discernible from sending it once.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2019-11-16 22:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dexterm said: »
know that he doesn't actively make gil in game
You saw me make gil for the first year plus you knew me. Then towards the end yes I didn't have a desire to do Dyna D and I leeched for RP if there was open room. We merced how many OUs together for a year +, how many ambus between us or with Kinggalka. Anyway like I said the month RDM and PUP could solo Ambu I used every lvl 1 mule I could and payed for those 1m dollar runs that netted me a ton of profit.

Anyway I'm done with this I didn't know about the exploit and Elidar asked to delete an addon posted in Feb. Sorry he put that line of text under the August photo but you can ask him personally which one he was referring to even though I posted images.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2019-11-16 22:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Y'all don't seem to realize that the Windower dev team besides Chiaia (last time I checked) doesn't play FFXI. There is no one else that could have used it.

I am in the dev channel there (other channels have always had too much chatter for me to get anything out of them in finite time, as Thorny said) and saw nothing about this until this thread.

There are occasionally exploits or weird packet things found by Windower team, but they cannot be responsible for the security of FFXI. One reason is, again, finite time. A second reason is that SE practices digital security by obscurity, which means it is difficult to help them fix their bugs because they like to shoot the messenger. I would bet there is no quicker way to get a ban than sending SE a bug report with POC that you executed from your account. Your hat cannot be white enough to protect you from SE. Final reason is that FFXI is massive, old, and was written by console designers making an MMO for the first time. They trusted basically everything the client sent.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-11-16 23:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

to be fair, the terms of service do say something about "reverse engineering" so they have every right to ban you for it
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2019-11-16 23:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
to be fair, the terms of service do say something about "reverse engineering" so they have every right to ban you for it
It is still security by obscurity and they are still idiots running an online game whose economy has been defined by exploits since inception.

Maybe the problems are related.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-11-16 23:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody really owes anyone any explanations or should have to justify their gil income.

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-16 23:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for the record, is anyone counting the colossal amount of noteworthy exploits?

Cashmere unlimited gil (tavnazia, barone)
"fishing up basically anything" (fishing data table)
Dupe that was active in 2005ish I don't know much about it
"wall of justice" "pinning" (this is actually still active, by the way)
2006(?) dupes of some kind caused the infamous christmas sale (this was multiple dupes apparently, Dbox dupe, AH dupe, reward dupe)
Salvage dupes
Einherjar unlimited ichor
WoE dupe/underflow
ToM underflow (is that the same one as woe?)
The bats with the goblin, not 100% sure what this was either
All the mobs for "sunshine seeker" were killed in town
Salvage respawning
Dynamis resets
Unlimited cards at the goblin
Unlimited gil at the repository
This new one, whatever we're defining it as, 2019

I'm probably missing a few
I can't believe I forgot the crafting torques, christ.
(honorable mention for 'rerolling')
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-11-16 23:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't around for the "fishing up basically anything", but, as I understand it, that's where a lot of the random-*** auto-translate stuff came from. I wish someone that was there could explain it more. I enjoy capturing strange auto-translate stuff and putting it in my bazaar message. I have period autotranslated, but can't move it, sadly. Stars, boxes, triangles. Stuff like that. Thoughts?

By Josiahafk 2019-11-16 23:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Just for the record, is anyone counting the colossal amount of noteworthy exploits?

Cashmere unlimited gil
"fishing up basically anything" (fishing table)
2007 dupes of some kind caused the infamous christmas sale
Salvage dupes
WoE dupe/underflow
Salvage respawning
Dynamis resets

you're forgetting the most vile and truly evil one.
Standing in grauberg on vanilla.
By Chimerawizard 2019-11-16 23:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Unlimited Dark clusters from moogle.

more honorable mentions;
Fishing 0s wait bite; 0s wait catch.
Dynamis resets should be on there twice. >_>
*first one reset the zone itself so everything except the hourglass's expiration date is reset, letting the LS re-farm TE's endlessly ... except no one wanted to do that much dyna.
There was a repeat of the cashmere gil, with some item & npc in adoulin for two weeks, but it wasn't that great a profit per cycle, like a few thousand gil each stack.
crafting torques everywhere!
find voidwalker NMs the easy way.
mug > zone to reset recast and mug again at the other zoneline.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-16 23:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cashmere unlimited gil
"fishing up basically anything" (fishing table)
"wall of justice" "pining" (this is actually still active, by the way)
2007 dupes of some kind caused the infamous christmas sale
Salvage dupes
WoE dupe/underflow
Salvage respawning
Dynamis resets

Oh the memories......god that Christmas sale I had completely forgotten about that business. I swear gilbuyers funded me leveling Clothcraft thru buying my overpriced random ***.
By Shichishito 2019-11-16 23:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

how many of those are reiterations of the same exploit or concept and shouldn't have happend again in the firstplace?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-17 00:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
how many of those are reiterations of the same exploit or concept and shouldn't have happend again in the firstplace?
About half of them come down to "telling the game to do something it shouldn't" aka "packets"

The other half are "seeing things that you shouldn't" or "telling the server your location, tricking it"

Cashmere/Adoulin food(?)/pinning was just simple stupidity
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-11-17 00:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »

Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-11-17 00:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Y'all don't seem to realize that the Windower dev team besides Chiaia (last time I checked) doesn't play FFXI. There is no one else that could have used it.

I am in the dev channel there (other channels have always had too much chatter for me to get anything out of them in finite time, as Thorny said) and saw nothing about this until this thread.

There are occasionally exploits or weird packet things found by Windower team, but they cannot be responsible for the security of FFXI. One reason is, again, finite time. A second reason is that SE practices digital security by obscurity, which means it is difficult to help them fix their bugs because they like to shoot the messenger. I would bet there is no quicker way to get a ban than sending SE a bug report with POC that you executed from your account. Your hat cannot be white enough to protect you from SE. Final reason is that FFXI is massive, old, and was written by console designers making an MMO for the first time. They trusted basically everything the client sent.
As an employee I reproduced a certain exploit years ago after getting my hands on a certain addon.
I raised the issue to Japan (while on shift), they asked me to make a proper report and send it to the devs directly.

I reproduced it with a normal account (not GM since Windower was involved), videos and stuff, the addon in question, a guide and even chatlogs pulled straight from the GM tool. I had a SGM vouch for me so that my character wouldn't get banned (we went above and beyond on that one).
They thanked me and stuff, exploit fixed within a day.
A few weeks later we receive the list of accounts to be terminated, the account I used was on the list.

Suiciding an account per exploit fixing is clearly not worth it and is plain stupid. We were lucky this time, the next big exploit may not be solved that easily.
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2019-11-17 00:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Mafai said: »
It still would have been realized, m/dollar price was tanking.
The people that aroused suspicion on Asura were legit potatoes, they weren't going to figure out the wider scope of the exploit.
By Shichishito 2019-11-17 00:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

how does it happen over and over again?
if they had a dedicated team for FFXI they'd anticipate a similar exploit cause they had to deal with it in the past. do they always reaasign differnt employees for new content without properly briefing them or do they simply not care at all?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 29 30 31