Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » June 2019 V1 VD Ambu
June 2019 V1 VD Ambu
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-06-22 22:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides you Saevel, I haven't heard anybody else corroborate that your method actually worked for them 100%. Unless I missed it
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-06-22 22:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not "working for him" he's just killing it before it can do it.

Which is a totally valid strategy. Just kill him before he can kill you is THE strategy.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-06-22 22:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Besides you Saevel, I haven't heard anybody else corroborate that your method actually worked for them 100%. Unless I missed it

Got an entire LS worth of folks who are laughing at this thread.

The thing is, we can reproduce the 99K easily, it's not random. We've also been able to 100% avoid it entirely, again not random. Reproducing it was just as simple as going in with a full buffed melee PT and the WAR and COR spam Upheaval and Savage blade, the results will be a 99K hit to the tank in a few seconds. Did this several times in a row, switched to Impulse Drive + Savage Blade and not a single 99K since. Also did Savage blade + Savage Blade and still not a single 99K. Switched back to Upheaval + Savage Blade and again 99K's happened within a few seconds of zerging the boss.

All the "but but but I got 99K'd and no SC" people are doing convoluted setups that don't involved burning it down (it's doing SP the entire time its alive btw). This is what leads me to think it's something with the WS animations and Light / Dark elemental damage, also that there are likely multiple ways to trigger the 99K damage and there is almost certainly a time element involved.

We've been able to reproduce it enough to know what not to do, and avoid it enough to know what to do. That is sufficient for predictable, repeatable, easy and stress free VD clears. People can complain and insult all they want, won't impact us and will just serve to hurt the community at large.
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-06-22 23:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It only has SP up when it is enchaining, and it can use it multiple times, but it is by no means the whole time he's alive.

It's definitely not ramdom though, Saevel is right about that.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-06-22 23:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Darkdoom said: »
It only has SP up when it is enchaining, and it can use it multiple times, but it is by no means the whole time he's alive.

It's definitely not ramdom though, Saevel is right about that.

I mean it's up the entire time he's alive for us, we kill him within 30s of engaging. We wait for the tank to bring it all back to the corner and right as the boss is starting to hit the tank I pop Warcry, when the boss dies Warcry still has about 30s left on it's duration. The BLU + COR way took a bit longer cause no SSJ4 move to abuse.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-06-22 23:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I already posted about Saevel's method working for my group on the previous page. Doesn't confirm anything, it just shows there's some way of doing the fight with a good success rate; zerging the boss with melees. If you still get 99ks, then what are you doing differently?
By Aerix 2019-06-23 01:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Are people doing this fight without a SCH's Regen V and if yes, how? Our WHM and party keep getting knocked around and along with the constant AoE damage they can't keep up with the healing, even when all the adds are already dead.
 Asura.Korgull
user: Korgull
By Asura.Korgull 2019-06-23 02:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like you're doing this backwards, you first zerg the boss and then the adds in this order: Fistfighter x2 > Marshal > Swiftshooter> Tamer. Before the battle your brd puts fire carol & single target ballads on the whm; whm does barfire and sacro before pull.
By Aerix 2019-06-23 02:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

We tried the "PUP holding the boss" strat and doing adds first, as fighting the boss first killed us even faster due to the add damage in addition to the boss's AoE. Epeo RUN (me) usually dies due to lack of cures owing to the knockback/silence/stun messing up our WHM.
 Bismarck.Ihinaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihinaa 2019-06-23 02:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a screenshot where it's skillchaining me(detonation) and I'm skillchaining it(darkness) at the same time and it does the 99,999 move immediately. Just throwing that out there. Perhaps the reason why it has the appearance of being RNG is that the skillchains we do to it often miss its own skillchain window that it does to us. That would explain why we (ie myself) can fight it the exact same way each time and only see it a minor number of times. If you skip the skillchain entirely, you won't see it at all. Just a theory, nothing confirmed.

Asura.Korgull said: »
Seems like you're doing this backwards, you first zerg the boss and then the adds in this order: Fistfighter x2 > Marshal > Swiftshooter> Tamer. Before the battle your brd puts fire carol & single target ballads on the whm; whm does barfire and sacro before pull.

We just do ballad1/2/3 and put the mages against the wall. I also bring a RDM, so we have refresh3 as well.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-06-23 05:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
We tried the "PUP holding the boss" strat and doing adds first, as fighting the boss first killed us even faster due to the add damage in addition to the boss's AoE. Epeo RUN (me) usually dies due to lack of cures owing to the knockback/silence/stun messing up our WHM.

It's not an easy month for WHMs.

Most of the issues you brought up can be countered with positioning. Stun is conal. Keep your back to a wall to prevent the worst of knockback. And idle in meva to avoid most silence (even if it hits, it usually wears off faster than you can pop a temp).

The worst part is that the tank will usually lose hate on the RNG (seems to be a enmity range issue), and then the WHM will get catapulted w/ rocks. Also, AOEs can come back-to-back-to-back, so the global 3-sec spell lockout comes into play -- benediction comes in handy in a pinch.

Regen V is nice, but not gonna save you on cascading AOEs.
 Odin.Ehleni
Server: Odin
user: Ehleni
By Odin.Ehleni 2019-06-23 05:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I have healed this a lot as WHM and what works for me is having at least a BRD with Fire Carol. Then I just need to:

• Barfira

• Stoneskin

• Idle in my Magic Eva Set

• Eat Miso Ramen.

I have around 600 Magic Eva in my gear and I use Inyanga +2/+1 (currently working on +2ing that set).

I use /SCH so I use Rainstorm as well but I'm not sure it does any good.

Magic Eva, Damage Reduction (Stoneskin) and Resistance is the key of mitigating AoE MP move. It's very important to keep Stoneskin up as the move will become completely harmless.

IF I get hit by the AoE move, I use Subduction for MP. If I get hit by it a second time I use Benediction. After that the boss should be dead or else you have too weak DD's.

Also, standing in the corner will eliminate the knockback effect. First 30 seconds of the fight I only use Curaga to keep everyone alive. Then when boss is dead, I move out and cure as I usually do.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-06-23 07:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Which is a totally valid strategy. Just kill him before he can kill you is THE strategy.
So we have to kill it before we pull it?

***, I should have reached this conclusion long ago, I'm slow these days.

Are people doing this fight without a SCH's Regen V and if yes, how? Our WHM and party keep getting knocked around and along with the constant AoE damage they can't keep up with the healing, even when all the adds are already dead.
Have the supports (this includes the WHM) stand directly in the corner, the tank can hold the mobs on the wide, he will only barely get knocked back. This way you can't get knocked back and the tank is still in range.
You may eat silence, though, be ready for that.

If you do it this way, it's pretty effortless. DDs may cry if they're bad and have PTSD from Dyna D, that's about it.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-06-23 07:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I honestly never have any issue with MP draining move on WHM, 5/5 Inyanga +2 and barfira paired with Unda x3 is more than enough to never lose mp I find. Fire carols are welcomed, but I don't find them a necessity.

Even when I do Ambuscade on RUN MP isn't needed. I just go into a hybrid set RUN/DRK and go berserk on boss and monk and war adds, proccing both Hundred fists at once and abuse the ***out of Battuta for infinite TP from parrying. Nothing holds hate better than smashing a mob's head in.

For the RNG issue, have the RUN or PLD save 1 enmity tool, I personally save Liement for the RNG and it's enough to lock enmity without worry. Of course if there is a DD you don't like you can always let them eat Eagle Eye Shot just for the fun of it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-06-23 07:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

On the pull if you don't damage it at all I've never seen it do the 99k. Like just wait the 7 seconds until after it does darkness then win.

In 40 wins (and a few wipes, lul) I've never once seen it 99k on pull across melee burns, pup burns, blm burns.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-06-23 08:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

On the pull if you don't damage it at all I've never seen it do the 99k. Like just wait the 7 seconds until after it does darkness then win.

In 40 wins (and a few wipes, lul) I've never once seen it 99k on pull across melee burns, pup burns, blm burns.

Wow. I only died twice, as I said earlier when I queued solo, but didn't engage, but I did have Ice spikes up so maybe that counts? I dunno.

I also noticed this was weird, I actually got 99k'd on a Detonation skillchain, not Gravitation or Darkness. Literally as soon as Detonation went off I died. This has only ever happened once out of my 50-60 runs total, but it's weird it happened so early. This was used when boss was at 30% during MS so perhaps something triggered we don't know.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-06-23 08:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Also among the things I have never seen, the detonation 99k
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-06-23 08:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give this a try, it's easy to test at least.

Asura.Shiraj said: »

Wow. I only died twice, as I said earlier when I queued solo, but didn't engage, but I did have Ice spikes up so maybe that counts? I dunno.

I also noticed this was weird, I actually got 99k'd on a Detonation skillchain, not Gravitation or Darkness. Literally as soon as Detonation went off I died. This has only ever happened once out of my 50-60 runs total, but it's weird it happened so early. This was used when boss was at 30% during MS so perhaps something triggered we don't know.
He can MB any of his 3 SCs for the same amount, the earliest I've seen it happen is when he's slightly out of range and you just pulled him.

But we had a MNK who had no clue what he was doing and was trigger happy, he said he stopped doing Chi Blast on pull but other than that I don't know what he was doing exactly and there is no way in hell he can say.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-06-23 15:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Very WHM dependent this month, and some may struggle to keep up on VD. No shame in doing D or lower if your healer and/or tank struggles, points are points after all. Better to do D in 3-4 mins, then die to VD and having to reset 1 hours repeatedly.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-06-23 16:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

This is pretty mucb the deal. We haven't had a 99k in 22 runs since we started waiting for the initial darkness to finish. If you're slow, might have to hold tp again since he can do it again. It also does seem to be a threshold, >10k ws during sc causes it but not <10k, I need to test this part a little more but it's pretty in line with what I've seen in 130~ runs.

The whole det>grav>darkness sc takes about 10-20 seconds for him to do, so if you can kill it in 20 seconds more power to you. Otherwise just wait for your tank to tell you when the darkness has gone off and your DDs can go to town with no fear.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-06-24 10:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a random factor this month that is unavoidable, from a white mage's perspective. It's not the damage to MP but rather the silence. You can mitigate the knockback by standing at the closest pillar to the starting corner but when that silence hits and interrupts your Curaga it becomes dicey. We do the main boss first, though; once he's down it's 100% a win.

I do Regen V sometimes on my scholar before we enter but it's not needed.
By Taint 2019-06-24 10:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaykae (sp?) is doing VD with afk 3 buyers.

RUN,GEO,SCH couldn’t tell if he’s tri boxing but wouldn’t doubt it.

SC>MB water bursting. RUN just turtled and put Gambit on the big boss.
By Artsncrafts 2019-06-24 12:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Got an entire LS worth of folks who are laughing at this thread.

The thing is, we can reproduce the 99K easily, it's not random. We've also been able to 100% avoid it entirely, again not random. Reproducing it was just as simple as going in with a full buffed melee PT and the WAR and COR spam Upheaval and Savage blade, the results will be a 99K hit to the tank in a few seconds. Did this several times in a row, switched to Impulse Drive + Savage Blade and not a single 99K since. Also did Savage blade + Savage Blade and still not a single 99K. Switched back to Upheaval + Savage Blade and again 99K's happened within a few seconds of zerging the boss.

All the "but but but I got 99K'd and no SC" people are doing convoluted setups that don't involved burning it down (it's doing SP the entire time its alive btw). This is what leads me to think it's something with the WS animations and Light / Dark elemental damage, also that there are likely multiple ways to trigger the 99K damage and there is almost certainly a time element involved.

We've been able to reproduce it enough to know what not to do, and avoid it enough to know what to do. That is sufficient for predictable, repeatable, easy and stress free VD clears. People can complain and insult all they want, won't impact us and will just serve to hurt the community at large.

Have the supports (this includes the WHM) stand directly in the corner, the tank can hold the mobs on the wide, he will only barely get knocked back. This way you can't get knocked back and the tank is still in range.
You may eat silence, though, be ready for that.

If you do it this way, it's pretty effortless. DDs may cry if they're bad and have PTSD from Dyna D, that's about it.

My group been following Saevels method and no wipes yet
By Sations 2019-06-24 12:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ehleni said: »

I have healed this a lot as WHM and what works for me is having at least a BRD with Fire Carol. Then I just need to:

• Barfira

• Stoneskin

• Idle in my Magic Eva Set

• Eat Miso Ramen.

I have around 600 Magic Eva in my gear and I use Inyanga +2/+1 (currently working on +2ing that set).

I use /SCH so I use Rainstorm as well but I'm not sure it does any good.

Magic Eva, Damage Reduction (Stoneskin) and Resistance is the key of mitigating AoE MP move. It's very important to keep Stoneskin up as the move will become completely harmless.

IF I get hit by the AoE move, I use Subduction for MP. If I get hit by it a second time I use Benediction. After that the boss should be dead or else you have too weak DD's.

Also, standing in the corner will eliminate the knockback effect. First 30 seconds of the fight I only use Curaga to keep everyone alive. Then when boss is dead, I move out and cure as I usually do.

We simply put whm in a corner and have them spam Curaga
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-06-26 22:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 364114

This idle set with a capped barfira and fire carol is enough to resist the effect nearly 100% of the time. The most lethal thing that can happen in the run I've encoutered is a heavy slam that silences followed by a heavy mercurial strike, that is enough to cause a quick wipe. Even with bar silencera the duration of the silence if landes is 1-2s which is enough spell sickness delay to prevent you from getting a heal off.

Tonight I experienced him hitting a 99k after a distortion furing our zerg and then the next run hitting a 1.2 after being hit by a darkness. I thought the skillchain would cause him to wipe if he used it but that doesn't seem to be the case. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to grab a screenshot of that incident but I did get one of the 99k after distortion hit the tank.

That only happend 2 out of the 15 or so clears we did.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2019-06-27 12:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been working for me.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-06-27 12:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Last night we did Savage Blade + Upheval spam making lights like crazy and other than the 2 random 99ks we didn't have any issues, lights and radiance were going off. We pulled and wait for the initial attempt to make distortion, grav, dark and after the first strike we'd start the zerg.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-06-27 13:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I actually saw a 99k happen. As far as I can tell;

It can (random %?) just hit 99k after darkness regardless(?)
It might (random chance?) 99k if you ws(immanence?) during his skillchain ( > dark specifically?)
Also still shields may negate it?

Did the SAM CAUSE the 99k, or was the 99k going to happen anyway? The world may never know.

99k on detonation? Poidh.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-06-27 16:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

That sams fudo was fudoodoo
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-06-27 16:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I remove names. Not gonna put anyone on blast. (No I'm not the sam)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8