users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Merc Culture Discussion
Merc Culture Discussion
First Page 2 3 4 5
By fonewear 2019-04-06 09:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
If mercing is not appropriate behavior under the terms of this game, they can ban me. It's not a secret and SE could even make a post like "hey we consider selling top tier boss drops bad form and against the spirit of the game"

Until then, *** outta herr

do you need someone to officialy tell you ***smells?

mercing obviously hurts the game. the buyer is no more interested to grind content and is more likely to quit sooner once he got his shot of instant gratification. those that refuse to pay mercs and want to do content the way its intended have more difficulty to find party members.

no good situation for a game like FFXI with a already small population.

Mercing is arguably the easiest way to make gil on Asura. Tons of noobs and newer/lazy players. And tons of gil looking to be spent. It just makes sense.

I would think time is way more valuable than grinding out random stones for hours to get your glowy weapon.

But to each their own.

Also you are forgetting a large population of Asura would never be able to get an aeonic weapon. Cause they lack the jobs required. Don't have a linkshell that can do the content. Or are just *** stupid. Maybe all three !

The only thing mercing really destroys is the reason to create and end game LS.

You can skip all the drama the "you must be here at 9 PM or you will be shot" nonsense. You give the merc some gil get what you want and move on.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-04-06 09:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Merc ads:

"When you realize you have spent 2 hours shouting in town so you can party with 5 idiots"
By lhova 2019-04-06 14:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ll add my 2 cents. I don’t have an issue with mercing and I’ve been able to merc some Ambu VD which helped me get some items I needed. I guess my concern is that people on asura rarely want to do anything without mercing.

A group use to shout a monthly Vagary free run to get people clears but I don’t see that anymore. Now all I see is merc Vagary, EF CP points for sale and even mercing plasm when people would beg you and give you free plasm just so they could have the 3 peeps to enter.

One of the main reasons I came to Asura was that people genuinely helped, now it just seems like everyone wants to shout to prove how smart they are and soon I can see a day when people will merc strategy information for cleats.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-06 14:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to believe that assura got worse. But there it is, Accurate.
By fonewear 2019-04-06 14:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw a guy wanting 2M for a Delve clear...Delve...was either incredibly stupid or the best troll of all time.
By mhomho 2019-04-06 15:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
2M for a Delve clear.
God I remember when they were 30 and tsuru was good.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Yottaxa
Server: Carbuncle
user: Yottaxa
By Carbuncle.Yottaxa 2019-04-06 21:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

My two cents:
To some extent isn’t this the logical outworking of adding mechanics like trusts? They were added because the game has turned into a solo-quest style of play. These were added to keep subscriptions but without fostering players to actually interact and team up. When you max out what you can do solo, who wants to struggle to get into a v1 E or N when you can just pay for a 20 second fight with double or triple the rewards? Returning players with real jobs in real life don't have the time to grind 2100 jp and the need for a decent starter high accuracy gear almost forces the hand in a solo quest game, or whats left of it.
By kishr 2019-04-07 05:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This discussion should be already over with.
If you don't care someone mercs, then w/e, shouldn't care anyways,
But others that want to shame them, forget about their idealogy, and just realize they need to take a walk out and breath fresh air for once.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2019-04-07 07:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

lhova said: »
I’ll add my 2 cents. I don’t have an issue with mercing and I’ve been able to merc some Ambu VD which helped me get some items I needed. I guess my concern is that people on asura rarely want to do anything without mercing.

A group use to shout a monthly Vagary free run to get people clears but I don’t see that anymore. Now all I see is merc Vagary, EF CP points for sale and even mercing plasm when people would beg you and give you free plasm just so they could have the 3 peeps to enter.

One of the main reasons I came to Asura was that people genuinely helped, now it just seems like everyone wants to shout to prove how smart they are and soon I can see a day when people will merc strategy information for cleats.

You went to Asura for help? Thats like going to taco bell to eat healthy. I left in 2012ish and people would charge you Gil for a raise.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-07 11:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

That had absolutely no relevance to the topic, and served no purpose besides you trying to convince yourself that buying asian hookers makes you cool.
By fonewear 2019-04-07 12:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe by page nine we can finally decide if merc culture is a good or bad thing...keep posting !
[+]
 Asura.Grievance
user: ringly
By Asura.Grievance 2019-04-07 14:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
That had absolutely no relevance to the topic, and served no purpose besides you trying to convince yourself that buying asian hookers makes you cool.
So Asian hookers don't make you cool?
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-04-07 14:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Yottaxa said: »
Returning players with real jobs in real life don't have the time to grind 2100 jp and the need for a decent starter high accuracy gear almost forces the hand in a solo quest game, or whats left of it.

that "i have a job/i have family/little time" argument is moot. you finaly have a life, good for you, be happy about it.

now go find a new hobby that fits your schedule!
 Ragnarok.Lockfort
Server: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Lockfort 2019-04-07 14:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You heard him folks, some random on the internet said it, so its true. Shows over, everyone with a real job and real life don't belong here.

lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-04-07 14:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Again this is another Asura problem. Like on Cerb, we do have a few merc groups, but they're not in your face yelling their services every single day. Players know who to turn to if they want it, but are not being charged ridiculous prices for frivolous content.

I concur with another poster when they say mercing on smaller servers is slightly "taboo", as we prefer (or need) to band together to get things done. We don't look down on anyone who mercs, but the way we play the game is likely different to those on the giant server who want an easy ride (going afk after paying someone off).
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-04-07 14:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Returning players with real jobs in real life don't have the time to grind 2100 jp and the need for a decent starter high accuracy gear almost forces the hand in a solo quest game, or whats left of it.

Its almost like they changed the mobs you're paying for merc services to kill because there just couldn't be any way that we were killing them without Su3 gear, AF+3, Relic+3, dyna-d necks and weapons, R15 RMEAs, and already having all the herc/adhemar/valorous already with killer augments...I mean, they musta, right? Otherwise, how were groups without SMNs getting aeonics 3 and a half years ago?
By fonewear 2019-04-07 15:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

We are making progress keep posting we will settle this merc discussion once and for all !
By mhomho 2019-04-07 15:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Its almost like they changed the mobs you're paying for merc services to kill because there just couldn't be any way that we were killing them without Su3 gear, AF+3, Relic+3, dyna-d necks and weapons, R15 RMEAs, and already having all the herc/adhemar/valorous already with killer augments...I mean, they musta, right? Otherwise, how were groups without SMNs getting aeonics 3 and a half years ago?

TECHNICALLY

They did change things: like how Geo bubbles function.
They also changed how AGI and evasion is calculated.

It's not that there aren't strategies that worked, but some of them are out dated. Some by means of updates, and others by loss of players (the concept of missing the boat effectively condemning you because you weren't around for release). The things you listed are there to help make the progression easier. It's like the person that collects all the items before going to fight the final boss. It might not feel as satisfying to some to just one shot Emerald Weapon a'la Knights of the Round, but to each their own.
By Shichishito 2019-04-07 16:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lockfort said: »
You heard him folks, some random on the internet said it, so its true. Shows over, everyone with a real job and real life don't belong here.

if you want to spend the little free time you are left with on FFXI fine but don't cheat your way to the finish line and ruin the game for everyone else in the process.
By mhomho 2019-04-07 16:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
ruin the game for everyone else in the process.

Except it doesn't. If it ruins it for you, then you have some much larger psycho-sociological problems to deal with. It's no better than the zoomers addicted to social media that wonder why they're depressed and anxious.
By fonewear 2019-04-08 10:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe we can hire a mercenary for better FFXIAH threads.

One's that don't revolve around Asura good/ Asura sucks.

Merc good/bad says some guy I don't know on the internet.

I'm elite I'm elite. Come fight me bro !
By mhomho 2019-04-08 10:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Come fight me bro !

>>Leviathan.Comeatmebro

FTFY
By eliroo 2019-04-08 11:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin said: »

You went to Asura for help? Thats like going to taco bell to eat healthy. I left in 2012ish and people would charge you Gil for a raise.

I'd like to point out that Taco bell has one of the healthiest menus when compared to other fast food places.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-04-08 11:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin said: »

I'd like to point out that Taco bell has one of the healthiest menus when compared to other fast food places.

They also have the cleanest restrooms.. believe it or not
By soralin 2019-04-08 12:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe we can hire a mercenary for better FFXIAH threads.

One's that don't revolve around Asura good/ Asura sucks.

Merc good/bad says some guy I don't know on the internet.

I'm elite I'm elite. Come fight me bro !

soralin said: »
To begin, I don't dislike it, I don't think its inherently 'bad' or 'wrong' for the culture to exist.

I'm just interested in discussing the 'why' from a purely objective standpoint.

Lets get back on topic then please :)
By soralin 2019-04-08 12:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres a couple streamers, myself included, looking to try and foster this ideology better.

Ive been debating starting a non-merc, helping people out LS with the goal of assisting new players get their clears easily, and acting as a mentor LS of sorts.

However, running that LS and my stream at the same time sounds quite involved, so I haven't committed to that... yet. It's kind of on the table though.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-08 12:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Helping people doesn't work anymore dude. You help them once you will be hounded none stop. It's why i've stopped helping people. People will depend on you, expect you to carry them.
Some people are grateful for any help though, it's not just everyone.

Also for helping newer players clear content I find it almost impossible anymore. I mention a strat that's not smn burn i get shat on and pushed aside. It's just how it is on Asura man. I've given up on helping most people cos of it. No one wants to experiment, try new things and have fun. Just rush for rema and get their shinies thinking it's gonna help them.
By soralin 2019-04-08 12:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Helping people doesn't work anymore dude. You help them once you will be hounded none stop. It's why i've stopped helping people. People will depend on you, expect you to carry them.
Some people are grateful for any help though, it's not just everyone.

Also for helping newer players clear content I find it almost impossible anymore. I mention a strat that's not smn burn i get shat on and pushed aside. It's just how it is on Asura man. I've given up on helping most people cos of it. No one wants to experiment, try new things and have fun. Just rush for rema and get their shinies thinking it's gonna help them.

Well.

I think trying out different strats is fun :)

So maybe we can be friends and try it out together.

Not trolling, serious offer. If there's peeps out there on Asura wanting to actually have fun in the game, you are always welcome to send me a tell in game if you need help or have questions.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2019-04-08 12:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply