First Page 2 3 4 5
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-08 12:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Ragnarok.Lockfort said: »
You heard him folks, some random on the internet said it, so its true. Shows over, everyone with a real job and real life don't belong here.

if you want to spend the little free time you are left with on FFXI fine but don't cheat your way to the finish line and ruin the game for everyone else in the process.

Translation: It's not fair that I have to spend dozens of hours daily to get what I want in a video game, but some schmuck with a credit card can buy everything he wants in a few hours. Wahhhh!!! WORK HARD AND GRIND FOR EVERYTHING OR GET OFF MY GAME, LOLRL
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-04-08 12:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Ragnarok.Lockfort said: »
You heard him folks, some random on the internet said it, so its true. Shows over, everyone with a real job and real life don't belong here.

if you want to spend the little free time you are left with on FFXI fine but don't cheat your way to the finish line and ruin the game for everyone else in the process.

Translation: It's not fair that I have to spend dozens of hours daily to get what I want in a video game, but some schmuck with a credit card can buy everything he wants in a few hours. Wahhhh!!! WORK HARD AND GRIND FOR EVERYTHING OR GET OFF MY GAME, LOLRL

personally, I just question the person that chooses to pay for a game as entertainment/distraction, but then pays real world money to avoid playing that game. I won't go so far as to say 'you wrecked my game!' I just think if you don't have time to play the game, why are you playing it at all?
[+]
By soralin 2019-04-08 13:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
personally, I just question the person that chooses to pay for a game as entertainment/distraction, but then pays real world money to avoid playing that game. I won't go so far as to say 'you wrecked my game!' I just think if you don't have time to play the game, why are you playing it at all?

Interesting topic, in game theory you could call this conflicting fun perhaps.

Basically, MMOs kind of hold this carrot on the stick in front of you. Once you have that carrot, its gonna taste sooo good, trust us.

Then you use that to get the next and the next and so on.

However, players realize pretty fast the primary dopamine rush you get is when you obtain the gear. Farming for it doesn't give a huge dopamine kick in most scenarios.

So you can get the dopamine kick much faster and much quicker by shelling out gil to buy it.

And pretty soon you realize it takes you 10 hours of shitty half afk farming to get x amount of gil, but for like 10 bucks you can buy the same amount or whatever, and even if you are earning minimum wage, that's still only like an hour of your time instead of 10...

Its easy to see how someone craving pure dopamine kicks, and not the game itself, can fall into that trap. And this is what many video games out there prey on, and what RMTs in ffxi prey on.

Typically, you see individuals who fall into these traps also posses a lot of other particular traits. Gambling and addiction issues, stuff like that.

The running theory in many circles is that these dopamine addictions rise up in people unable to get their dopamine the usual ways. Human interaction, cuddling, sex, the usual sources by which humans obtain those positive rushes in life.

Unable to obtain those for whatever reason, they turn to synthetic sources of it. Gambling. Addictive loot based games. Loot crates. Drugs. Alcohol. Etc.

Often times its been found that when people with addiction problems find community, love, affection, and human interaction, their addictions fade away and become much more manageable, supporting this theory a lot. Humans naturally will gravitate towards more 'normal' and healthy sources of dopamine rushes, of course.

If you are interested on the topic, I recommend Kurzgesagt's videos on Addiction and Loneliness on their Youtube channel, and they provide further links to studies done on the topic that are quite interesting!

If I were to summarize though:

Players who RMT and then spend gil to merc drops probably don't deserve anger, but pity. There's probably some unhappy reasons they are acting in such unhealthy ways :(
[+]
By fonewear 2019-04-08 13:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's very simple you can bypass all the stuff you don't like to get your reward.

If you have limited time to play a MMO you skip all the *** get your shiny weapon. Then you put "elite" status over your head. Then you call everyone else a noob.
By fonewear 2019-04-08 13:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Also in before I got my REMA the hard way in three feet of snow with no shoes... and I had to work my *** off. You kids today get off my lawn !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-08 13:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on what your definition of "playing that game" really entails. Do you mean grinding senseless hours for an omen body or something similar? Nobody needs to be locked out of enjoying something just because they don't have time for it. There are tons of things to do in the game.

Even SE is easing the acquisition methods for obtaining certain gear. There are countless numbers of vouchers and such that can redeemed for real prizes, which effectively lets you "not play the game". Aside from that, sometimes paying for something is easier that working up the skill to do it yourself, but that doesn't necessarily diminish the entertainment/distraction value of it. You can still enjoy something you paid for vs just grinding it out. It depends on what you're paying someone to do for you.

I'll say it again for those in the back: Paying with real money is effectively the same as paying with your time. Same end goal, one just finishes quicker than the other. You don't have to understand why a person would pay money to save time, just know that you've exchanged time to save money. In the end, it's all equal.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-04-08 13:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all about being elite. We have to glow to show how good at FFXI we are.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2019-04-08 13:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks/Scragg, I would like to offer you a decent way to make money on the side, and promote more traffic to the site.

You see, people pay to get shiny things in-game, which translate to shiny pts on this site. However, Guildwork sometimes goes into a state of Guildoesn'twork, which means people don't get points! But you can skip all of this by selling points directly to the website users!

Don't wanna actually pay some group 100m for your Khatvanga? For $50 you can earn 45,000 AH pts instead!
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2019-04-08 13:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

lol @ that just changing the name to idiot boy automatically
By eliroo 2019-04-08 13:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So is FFXIAH forums supporting RMT? I can't tell anymore.
By fonewear 2019-04-08 15:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
So is FFXIAH forums supporting RMT? I can't tell anymore.

For 3.00 dollars I'll answer this question.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-04-08 17:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
In the end, it's all equal.

we are all equal mkay!
By Shichishito 2019-04-08 17:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
And pretty soon you realize it takes you 10 hours of shitty half afk farming to get x amount of gil, but for like 10 bucks you can buy the same amount or whatever, and even if you are earning minimum wage, that's still only like an hour of your time instead of 10...

i guess the solution would be to get rid of all the grind and hand out rewards for none repetitive activities that are fun. although observing how the game industry changed over the last decade i'm fairly certain that even if a company could create such a game you'd still find plenty of people who are willing to pay/cheat their way to the finish line.
By soralin 2019-04-08 17:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »

i guess the solution would be to get rid of all the grind and hand out rewards for none repetitive activities that are fun. although observing how the game industry changed over the last decade i'm fairly certain that even if a company could create such a game you'd still find plenty of people who are willing to pay/cheat their way to the finish line.

Effectively speaking, sparks farming needs a serious nerf hammer.

The same problem happened before with crour farming and was basically the same issue, and SE nerfed it.

But the damage is done now.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-08 18:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair the damage was already done on crour too and that didn't stop them. Sparks needs dat nerf hammer. hard. (and prize powders need to go away too) Take all that ***away and make us take SP keys. Still worth doing and the dopamine rush of gambling.
By fonewear 2019-04-08 18:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Only five pages...4 more to go.