users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Luck of the Draw: A Corsair's Guide *NEW*
Luck of the Draw: A Corsair's Guide *NEW*
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 121 122 123
By SimonSes 2020-12-18 04:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Whynez said: »
Wouldn't Naegling/blurred +1 be BiS for savage blade situations due to increase in WS frequency? Same with Rostam B/Blurred +1 when meleeing for TP?
Correct x2

It kinda depends for that 2nd statement. RostamB/Blurred most of the time wont increase WS frequency, but tp overflow. TP overflow is good for Leaden and Last Stand, but not really for Wildfire. Tauret offhand might actually be better for Wildfire. For Leaden its more complex. It depends if you need macc for Leaden mostly, or if you are spamming leaden or time it for skillchain. For Last Stand you might also consider Kustawi, if you racc or ratt uncapped it Last Stand set.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-12-18 08:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I ended up selling my blurred +1 just before r15 degen +1 came out as I knew it would drive the price down which it went from 11mil to 6mil on Odin. Havent been bothered to buy another one as its lower delay vs more acc/macc which id rather take the acc especially for wave 3.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-12-18 10:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Asura.Chiaia said: »
Whynez said: »
Wouldn't Naegling/blurred +1 be BiS for savage blade situations due to increase in WS frequency? Same with Rostam B/Blurred +1 when meleeing for TP?
Correct x2

It kinda depends for that 2nd statement. RostamB/Blurred most of the time wont increase WS frequency, but tp overflow. TP overflow is good for Leaden and Last Stand, but not really for Wildfire. Tauret offhand might actually be better for Wildfire. For Leaden its more complex. It depends if you need macc for Leaden mostly, or if you are spamming leaden or time it for skillchain. For Last Stand you might also consider Kustawi, if you racc or ratt uncapped it Last Stand set.

I agree with this statement. Depends content and buffs as well.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-19 01:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Having real accuracy problems with Leaden, as in getting full resists regularly as early as T2 Ru'aun and Savage Blade generally doing like three times the DPS. Here's the set:

https://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/377071

DP is rank 8, herc gloves are 27 macc/30 MB, Malignance Tights are an acc swap.

What's the trick to actually making this connect?
By Afania 2020-12-19 01:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »

Don't use leaden on these mobs.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-19 01:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

glad I spent 300 mil on gearing a WS that's good on like 8 dudes
[+]
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-12-19 02:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pro statue killer though.
[+]
 Asura.Zidaner
Server: Asura
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Zidaner 2020-12-19 02:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Totally depends what you fighting of course. Been a while since I fought anything in Ru'ann but I recall Wildfire being awesome up there even with DP.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-19 02:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ringoko said: »

That's the funniest part, to me; "just get more MAB," they say as I hit a statue for 50k. Do they even have any meva? Half-tempted to just use ataktos and call it a day.

Actually, I want to soapbox a bit to get it on the record because some dingdong on reddit got really mad at me a few months back because I told a noob to focus on getting a solid Savage Blade set before even looking at Leaden and I know noobs look at this thread, and y'all mostly talk about Leaden, giving a particular impression: DO SAVAGE BLADE FIRST. IT WORKS THE SAME ON EVERYTHING.

Kindly direct anyone telling you that you, as a baby COR, should be thinking about death penalty to the resistance charts on wiki for, let's see, every Omen boss, any Geas Fete NM worth a damn, any relevant HTBF, every Wave 2 Dynamis boss, Wave 3 accuracy requirements, the chances of you ever getting a macc buff in your life...
 Asura.Luckycharmss
By Asura.Luckycharmss 2020-12-19 03:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Any thoughts on aug for LS/WF? got using Fern stones

Currently using Carmine +1

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2020-12-19 06:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the way of a pirate. We loot for money then spend them all for personal enjoyment.

the chances of you ever getting a macc buff in your life...

From my experience, anything that leaden works in wave3(fetter, megaboss etc), stewpot+warlocks roll is enough. Assuming you also use rostam/tauret and have an up to date set that is.

Anything that leaden doesn't work, should be using SB/wildfire/AE really.

Outside of maybe highest tier aeonic NM, I really rarely worry about macc with current gears. If you see resists, switch WS(rather than stack macc) is usually the way to go.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-12-19 07:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Luckycharmss said: »
Any thoughts on aug for LS/WF? got using Fern stones

Currently using Carmine +1

It would need to be around 4~6 more mab or around ~2%WSD more to break even with Carmine for raw power (those have 15macc tho).
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-12-19 07:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

Don't use leaden on these mobs.

That guy must be trolling...
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-12-19 11:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the funniest part, to me; "just get more MAB," they say as I hit a statue for 50k. Do they even have any meva? Half-tempted to just use ataktos and call it a day.

Actually, I want to soapbox a bit to get it on the record because some dingdong on reddit got really mad at me a few months back because I told a noob to focus on getting a solid Savage Blade set before even looking at Leaden and I know noobs look at this thread, and y'all mostly talk about Leaden, giving a particular impression: DO SAVAGE BLADE FIRST. IT WORKS THE SAME ON EVERYTHING.

Kindly direct anyone telling you that you, as a baby COR, should be thinking about death penalty to the resistance charts on wiki for, let's see, every Omen boss, any Geas Fete NM worth a damn, any relevant HTBF, every Wave 2 Dynamis boss, Wave 3 accuracy requirements, the chances of you ever getting a macc buff in your life...

I'd never dream of arguing against putting the time into a great Savage set- its a tool that every COR needs. But as someone who talks to a lot of people experienced in the game but new to COR often, its actually easier to bring a COR to content like Dyna-D if they have respectable rolls and can oneshot statues vs a COR with respectable rolls and a great Savage set but can't oneshot statues...if facing the choice of only one or the other.

That's why its often suggested to young CORs to build that Leaden set 2nd after your roll sets. Not to mention that if you have a functioning Leaden set, changing just two pieces turns it into a functioning Wildfire set, so the flexibility of that investment into Leaden isn't limited. And, you're also damn close to having a very good Aeolian Edge set this way. Savage Blade set kinda sits on its own and doesnt' have much crossover.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-12-19 11:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

dynamis d isn't the only thing in the game, and unless you're farming for volte drops, is pointless to do on a job after you've gotten W1 clear. unless you just really enjoy it for some reason.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-19 12:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

I'd never dream of arguing against putting the time into a great Savage set- its a tool that every COR needs. But as someone who talks to a lot of people experienced in the game but new to COR often, its actually easier to bring a COR to content like Dyna-D if they have respectable rolls and can oneshot statues vs a COR with respectable rolls and a great Savage set but can't oneshot statues...if facing the choice of only one or the other.

That's why its often suggested to young CORs to build that Leaden set 2nd after your roll sets. Not to mention that if you have a functioning Leaden set, changing just two pieces turns it into a functioning Wildfire set, so the flexibility of that investment into Leaden isn't limited. And, you're also damn close to having a very good Aeolian Edge set this way. Savage Blade set kinda sits on its own and doesnt' have much crossover.

Omen bosses all heavily resist dark, Odin and Lilith, most of the relevant Geas Fete bosses, a bunch of Ambuscades...

Point is not that Leaden is bad, or a waster of time. Point is Savage works equally well on all of them. Leaden is niche.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-12-19 19:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Omen bosses all heavily resist dark, Odin and Lilith, most of the relevant Geas Fete bosses, a bunch of Ambuscades...

Point is not that Leaden is bad, or a waster of time. Point is Savage works equally well on all of them. Leaden is niche.

We all know that everything in this game is situational. You can complain that Leaden doesn't work 100% of the time, and you'd be right. But Savage Blade also doesn't work 100% of the time, so...

Any aspiring COR should understand that focusing on a single WS/stance/weapon will leave you stranded in certain situations. COR is part of almost every current meta. You really have to gear and be prepared for everything. (And no, that doesn't mean we all need to go out and make every RMEA)
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-12-19 20:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sudra said: »
Think carmine is almost impossible to beat. Pretty sure those aren’t even close.

I got stupid lucky on a +49 MAB, +19 MACC Herc hands last DM campaign.
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2020-12-19 23:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Savage Blade indeed deals great damage to everything, as long as you're getting HM, VM, Minuet V, Minuet IV, frailty, Dia III, armor break and chaos roll. Without any of these buffs, SB will deal 1/4 to 1/3 the damage of an unbuffed unresisted leaden salute.

SB also mean you will be within AoE range, which is easy enough these day with us getting stronger while mob stagnate.

Leaden let you one shot statue while SB doesn't, it add a niche functionality rather than just let you do better on parse. And you don't even need 300M on it, you can do it with a doomsday and herc gears.

I don't get this need to deal great damage on everything as a support job. As a COR, my biggest DPS contribution to a melee party is my Samurai's Roll. I have got all relic +3 on cor unlocked the week Dyna D Jeuno came out, and I still don't mind going cor to Dynamis, whatever get us a win and I can use the heroism and detritus stuff for my other jobs.

As a COR, i'd rather add functionality than more damage. A roll only cor is enough for any content in this game.

My biggest gripe with some of the newer people I help is their inability to stand still and do nothing. It's great that you're dealing 7000 damage with your savage blade but the Light from my Fudo => Fudo would have dealt 60k...

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2020-12-20 02:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Think carmine is almost impossible to beat. Pretty sure those aren’t even close.

I got stupid lucky on a +49 MAB, +19 MACC Herc hands last DM campaign.

Nice! I’m jelly.

+49MAB is like ~3mab above Carmine, but 19macc on top of that is really nice.
By SimonSes 2020-12-20 02:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Suph said: »
Fudo => Fudo would have dealt 60k...

Most trash mobs in dynamis has 50-65k HP, Assuming your Fudo is doing like at least 20-30k or more, that 60k Light is virtual damage and on NMs, it would be hard to expect 7-9 people to stop WSing and let someone self skillchain.

You are right when it happens in some low man Kei or anything Escha, but then you probably should just communicate and agree to what strategy you want to pull off.
By Afania 2020-12-20 06:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Point is not that Leaden is bad, or a waster of time. Point is Savage works equally well on all of them.

No, not really. In any situation that leaden(or AE/WF) shines, it's FAR ahead of SB.

Leaden avg 66k+ on wave 3 boss, SB will never hit this kind of avg on that boss.

Leaden darkness SC can zerg down zitah T3 in pulse weapon farm in a min, SB will never farm as efficiently as leaden SC.

WF easily hit 80k+ on zerde, SB will never avg this high.

AE easily generate 100k per WS in dyna when you hit 5 mobs at once, SB will never hit this hard.

And the list goes on.

COR spamming SB really isn't different from BLU NIN BRD RDM RNG spamming SB. Except you roll every 10 min. Why even play COR if that's all you want to do?

Ramuh.Austar said: »
dynamis d isn't the only thing in the game, and unless you're farming for volte drops, is pointless to do on a job after you've gotten W1 clear. unless you just really enjoy it for some reason.

Well, you got the point. If you ignore lag playing COR in Dyna D is really fun, because COR is OP in it and why wouldn't you enjoy being OP?

What makes COR really fun, IMO, it's the versatility and the ability to switch to any WS when situations call for it.

Mob uses PD? Switch to ranged.
Mob weak against darkness? Use leaden SC and enjoy the 99999 darkness from it.
Mob weak against light? Then do last stand/SB combo.
Hitting multiple mobs? AE all the way.
Need white damage? Go go Armageddon.

With how easy it is to swap weapon with GS these days, weapon and WS swapping on the fly is the main appeal of this job, if people don't enjoy this aspect, why even play it?

Cor is probably one of the best job for magical WS in game. A SB only Cor isn't really play the job to the fullest potential and IMO isn't really fun if all you do is just spam SB. There are 15 other melee jobs in game that can spam physical WS well, and they even have DD JA for physical WS. I may as well play other job if I only want to spam the same melee WS over and over. It's just not fun to do that on COR due to the lack of variety.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-12-20 23:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
Just came across this neat playlist of a Japanese 6-man party ripping through Escha HELMs with multiple CORs and thought it was worth sharing here.

What a fantastic showcase of job's full potential 2020, with all of our RMEA's (including R15 Arma!) featured prominently:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Go to the full playlist for the rest of the NMs.

questions on kirin... second form leaden does really bad... whats the strat they use in the video to keep dmg up?
 Bahamut.Butmunch
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Butmunch 2020-12-21 00:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeolian Edge spam and wind shots
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-12-22 09:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Can COR using Arma/Wildfire handle Kei in a similar manner as a RNG would using Gastra/TF?
By SimonSes 2020-12-22 09:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Can COR using Arma/Wildfire handle Kei in a similar manner as a RNG would using Gastra/TF?

Probably not. Wildfire cant do light skillchain.
[+]
 Hades.Dade
Server: Hades
user: Dade
By Hades.Dade 2020-12-22 15:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Asura.Lunafreya said: »

Probably not. Wildfire cant do light skillchain.

Cor can last stand with fom after a TF to keep skillchain open or 2/3 step light off a sch t2 skillchain. Not enough to carry like rng but can help kill faster with longer sc and QD. Might be some kind of multistep ranged physical strat but I have never tried.

Question, what MH/Sub people using for ambu with arma? Might actually get to play cor for once in it.
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 121 122 123