First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-11 08:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Botsan said:
上の書いた日本語はちっと分かりづらいな。まず、自分のことって私つくわなくてもよいですよ。このスレッドで自分の日本語の能力を自慢したいっていう感じますね。それは、ざんねんだけど、日本人らしくないです。まったく日本語できない人より日本人としてさ、「キモイ」と言うってるよ。

わかりづらいってレベルじゃないだろう、どう見てもあれは機会翻訳。

あなたの日本語も上の馬鹿よりいいとはいえ、他人の日本語を説教ほどじゃないと思う。
 Alexander.Auronius
Server: Alexander
user: auro
By Alexander.Auronius 2009-08-11 15:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

jpbutton.com

The NA/JP cross questionnaires. Too lazy to find a direct link. Most interesting FFXI read ever imo. Really sheds some light on what we perceive as japanese peculiarities.
 Ramuh.Botsan
Server: Ramuh
user: Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-11 19:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
Botsan said:
上の書いた日本語はちっと分かりづらいな。まず、自分のことって私つくわなくてもよいですよ。このスレッドで自分の日本語の能力を自慢したいっていう感じますね。それは、ざんねんだけど、日本人らしくないです。まったく日本語できない人より日本人としてさ、「キモイ」と言うってるよ。

わかりづらいってレベルじゃないだろう、どう見てもあれは機会翻訳。

あなたの日本語も上の馬鹿よりいいとはいえ、他人の日本語を説教ほどじゃないと思う。

さぁ、どうして日本語書いてあったのか。英語のフォーラム英語で書けばいいじゃないか。

If you have something to say, do it in English, or put it in the Japanese forums where people who could care would read it.
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2009-08-11 20:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Botsan said:
JP ONRY is meant by some, not all, as Japanese people only. But for most others it means simply, people who can write in Japanese only as they don't want to bother with the auto-translator, want to chill out and have fun together as a group. Others it also means that those JP players are on at a certain time and want people to be around for the time they are on.

No replacements for people who suddenly have to leave and so on. Whatever the case, it is just another example of bad English rather than racist intentions for the majority of players.

以上。

so ENGLISH ONLY is racist and JP ONRY isnt? I dont understand, here in the States when we had "White Only" and "Everyone Else", that was considered racist. There were sit-ins in private restaurants, busses, schools; we have come a distance as a society to desegregate. Are things that backwards in Japan?

Maybe the title of the thread should have been "ENGLISH ONLY DISCUSSION OF 'JP ONRY'"
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-11 22:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Botsan said:
さぁ、どうして日本語書いてあったのか。英語のフォーラム英語で書けばいいじゃないか。

If you have something to say, do it in English, or put it in the Japanese forums where people who could care would read it.

*shrug* I could ask the same of you considering you were the one who responded in Japanese first.

Your statement also lacks any convinction when you include Japanese as well, lol.

And just for you I'll reiterate what I said in English. It's not bad, it's just crappy auto translate text. And maybe you should improve your Japanese before lecturing other people about theirs.
 Sylph.Headcrusher
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Headcrusher 2009-08-11 22:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I eat JP Tarutarus! =O
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-08-11 23:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I admire Japanese people a lot, for they have a lot of talent in many things, particularly. The more I learn about their culture, however, the less inclined I am to visit them or to go see them in person. Prior to this, I dreamt of living in Japan since the age of 16. I am now 27.

In my own city, Montreal, some Chinese restaurants give a 15% discount to tables where there are only asians sitting. Just knowing that makes me want to murder someone. I was taught completely opposite values and could never accept that way of thinking. But does my "non-understanding" of their "values" make me a racist? Every chinese person I have ever talked to about this avoided the question. They just don't know how to explain it to me.

Knowing that should I go live in Japan, some of it will be closed to me, turns me off big time. Bars with signs that say "no foreigners" may give you a good laugh when you see them for the first time, but then realizing that a large part of the population thinks it's actualy ACCEPTABLE makes me want to murder someone again. It may be their way of thinking, but it happens to be plain wrong to me, that's the kind of things that are illegal where I come from. Racism is a word that can be shaped to mean almost anything, isn't it.
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2009-08-12 02:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:
Knowing that should I go live in Japan, some of it will be closed to me, turns me off big time. Bars with signs that say "no foreigners" may give you a good laugh when you see them for the first time, but then realizing that a large part of the population thinks it's actualy ACCEPTABLE makes me want to murder someone again. It may be their way of thinking, but it happens to be plain wrong to me, that's the kind of things that are illegal where I come from. Racism is a word that can be shaped to mean almost anything, isn't it.

what would happen if that happened in North America or Europe, to include only people of European/Caucasian decent? Its a shame that other cultures can't overcome the same prejudices that we had to settle. Has anyone seen a "White Only" or a "No Asians allowed" sign in the past 20 years?
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-08-12 08:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to type well thought-out reply to this, but my brain started to overload.
Only thing I will say is that as long as the world speaks different languages and looks different these types of situations are going to be around. Variety is the spice of life, but it also leads to some unpleasant things sometimes.
 Ramuh.Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-12 23:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
so ENGLISH ONLY is racist and JP ONRY isnt?

Context. Who is writing it and in what context. If i read the words on the bottom of a pamphlet for a musuem tour and it had written English only it is probable to expect that it means the tour is available only in English. The words themselves aren't racist, although perhaps the association of "English Only" with historical events would lead people to be more conservative in how and when they use it. YConsider that it is possible that "English only" which rendered into Japanese becomes "Ingurishu Onri" then back translated into romanized characters becomes JP Only / Onry. This isn't uncommon in Japanese where a large amount of foreign words have been assimilated into the language and the meaning changed. In this case JP onry / only has the associated meaning of Japanese speakers only. Again in context of where it is written, there is also little space. That's not defending anyone, because equally there are others who just don't want to play with foreigners because of their behavior inside the game. Just think of Japanese people as rather shy and you'll be more on track than labelling half the players you meet as racist.

Quote:
I dont understand...Are things that backwards in Japan?

Backwards, so tempting to agree with you there. Sometimes things do seem pretty darn backwards.
 Ramuh.Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-12 23:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
*shrug* I could ask the same of you considering you were the one who responded in Japanese first.

Methinks you have it arse-ways around chuck. My comments weren't addressed to you but you felt the need to jump in. That totally missed the point of what I wrote.

Quote:
Your statement also lacks any convinction when you include Japanese as well, lol.

What statement, what conviction? This is not clear at all.

Quote:
And just for you I'll reiterate what I said in English. It's not bad, it's just crappy auto translate text. And maybe you should improve your Japanese before lecturing other people about theirs.

Not for me, eh. I can read perfectly what you wrote, I just felt it unfair to others that you contribute nothing to the discussion than taking a pop at my witty response to someone. Oh, you missed the humor. Can't help you with that one.

Also, calling me stupid and telling me to improve my Japanese is kinda moronic from the someone who confuses 機械 (machine) with 機会 (opportunity). Although I'm sure that poster did indeed think that use machine tranlsation was an opportune move on their part.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-12 23:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Botsan said:
Methinks you have it arse-ways around chuck. My comments weren't addressed to you but you felt the need to jump in. That totally missed the point of what I wrote.

What statement, what conviction? This is not clear at all.

Than what was the point of what you wrote? You essentially said, this is an English forum, don't write Japanese. In the very same post you wrote Japanese, essentially contradicting your words and your actions.

Quote:
Not for me, eh. I can read perfectly what you wrote, I just felt it unfair to others that you contribute nothing to the discussion than taking a pop at my witty response to someone. Oh, you missed the humor. Can't help you with that one.

Also, calling me stupid and telling me to improve my Japanese is kinda moronic from the someone who confuses 機械 (machine) with 機会 (opportunity). Although I'm sure that poster did indeed think that use machine tranlsation was an opportune move on their part.

It's for you in the sense that you asked me not to write in Japanese so I translated for everyone's benefit (by your request). And your response wasn't exactly what I'd call witty either. As for the kanji, oooh, I did a typo, the bane of all the internet. Seriously, I typed it out quickly and didn't bother to check that it converted correctyl, that's a bit different than your blatantly broken Japanese.
 Ramuh.Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-12 23:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:

Well the kind of bars that are "No Foreigners" are breaking the law. There are not that many unless you are thinking about going to the kinds of bar that offer sexual services. Those are run by the Yakuza, and better well left alone anyway. Thailand is only a short hop away for those who need to get their sexual needs serviced.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-08-12 23:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Botsan said:

Well the kind of bars that are "No Foreigners" are breaking the law. There are not that many unless you are thinking about going to the kinds of bar that offer sexual services. Those are run by the Yakuza, and better well left alone anyway. Thailand is only a short hop away for those who need to get their sexual needs serviced.

I dont know about you...but I like JP girls over Thai girls =\
 Ramuh.Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-12 23:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
what would happen if that happened in North America or Europe, to include only people of European/Caucasian decent? Its a shame that other cultures can't overcome the same prejudices that we had to settle. Has anyone seen a "White Only" or a "No Asians allowed" sign in the past 20 years?

Not a sign but my friends and I were refused service at a French restaurant in Marseille because they "didn't serve Blacks". Considering the "Black" person was actually the only French person there, was a double whammy.

Prejudice is all around us. America and Europe are no exceptions.
 Ramuh.Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-12 23:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
I dont know about you...but I like JP girls over Thai girls =\

You should come to Japan as soon as possible then. Many girls are waiting just for you.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7