JP ONRY EVERYONE ELSE GTFO
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-07 00:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I know all about that, you said it still affects them though, I took that to mean survivors who are still alive now being affected by it, is that not what you meant?
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-08-07 00:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As a result of the radiation, yeah. :(
 Ramuh.Botsan
Server: Ramuh
user: Botsan
By Ramuh.Botsan 2009-08-07 07:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
What is that all about?

This thread is inspired by what i wrote in another, one about odqan and its got me wondering.

What do you guys think about Japanese people with "japanese only" written in bazaar who ignore you when u talk to them or /emote or anything you do. Is it just because they scared or something, or are just one big penis??

it really ticks me off

They ignore you...I can understand that.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-08-07 07:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Botsan said:
Minusseven said:
What is that all about?

This thread is inspired by what i wrote in another, one about odqan and its got me wondering.

What do you guys think about Japanese people with "japanese only" written in bazaar who ignore you when u talk to them or /emote or anything you do. Is it just because they scared or something, or are just one big penis??

it really ticks me off

They ignore you...I can understand that.

Well the fact that he was farming gigas socks, and i had some in my invent and tried to give them to him, seeing as i was there for an nm makes me a real ***? sure, im being one now but thats only cus i was/am pissed off, im not racist im nice to everyone the first time i speak to them no matter where they are from.

Jaerik said:

Perhaps because it's no fun to group or associate with people that start with assumptions of hostility, and like to slip in snarky anatomical comparisons in the same sentence to ensure such hostility will be reciprocated in kind?

If only he could see what i was trying to say then, seeing as i was being polite and generous...
 Bismarck.Ajah
Server: Bismarck
user: Ajah
By Bismarck.Ajah 2009-08-07 09:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm...anyone think it might be like trying to drive on the highway behind a recent emigre from China? (in the US I mean)

Point being, I think maybe we come to the game from different places, and for the Japanese, it might just be that our conduct is often perceived as rude because we don't follow the conversational protocols they are used to using...

Like "please forgive me" Please assist" "Thank you", bow bow bow, when we'd be more likely to just say "Please assist", and after deed was done..."thanks dude, I almost died! Lol" They just seem to be more formal. I heard an interesting story on NPR the other day about a similar situation IRL Europe (France to be specific), because Americans often fail to use the local formalities when speaking to locals.

It gets under my skin too sometimes, (specially when looking for parties) but there is a significant cultural difference. And yeah, some is probably just plain old snobbishness, but I suspect that at least a good portion can be chalked up to being "lost in translation"
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 13:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Meant to post this a while back, but got side tracked.

IF folks could atleast make an attempt to bridge the linguistic gap using this guide, there'd be a lot less QQ.

It's served me well since I found it. Enjoy! :D
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Meant to post this a while back, but got side tracked.

IF folks could atleast make an attempt to bridge the linguistic gap using this guide, there'd be a lot less QQ.

It's served me well since I found it. Enjoy! :D

That and know this: They are a closed society. Read their history and you will understand why they hate to deal with the rest of the world.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 14:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Korpg not for nothing, as someone who proclaims to be knowledgeable of the language, history and customs why didn't you post something similar to what I did?

If not a guide why not some starter JP to help people break the ice.

As insular and fearful as you may wish to portray JP players, there's a lot of warmth beneath the surface for those able to breach it.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't change their culture in a day. Like you can't change OUR culture in a day.

You can understand it and predict where it is going though.

Why should I have to tell anyone what to think? I'm giving you directions into finding the information for yourself.

Understanding how a culture reacts towards a situation is the first step of global peace (and global dominance). You might be aware of diffences between you and I if we work together to understand each other.

And not the whole "I'm leet and you are noob" approach cause, wouldn't you know it, we both think the same way.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-08-08 14:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

its only the japanese of all the different nationalities that are playing this game that are that stubborn. you dont see any other nationality getting offended because everyone doesnt know their customs, no other nationalities are beeing *** towards other ppl in game because they cant speak w/e language they are speaking. Why is ppl posting guides on how to approach japanese ppl? Should it even be nessesary? Everyone throw away their own customs and embrace the japanese customs just to make them happy, just to make them not act like *** and ignore you?

Or maybe, just maybe everyone, including the japanese, could accept that there are ppl from all over the world speaking different languages and having different customs?
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 14:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You sir are a molotov cocktail throwing troll.

Darwin had it right. It's all about evolution. You adapt or die. I'm not trying to make wholesale changes of cultural mores I'm only trying to show people how to say please, thank you, and relevant game terms in Japanese.

IF folks don't want to make use of the knowledge shared that's on them, they can keep on being ignorant and wonder why JP players hate them.

THOSE that can make some use of what's been provided are going to have a better time of it. It is those open minded souls that I am trying to reach, and it is through people like that the walls dividing us are brought down.

Help solve the problem you ***, use some of that education you puport to have for the better. Instead of making those trite comments you're so well known for.

It's an easy thing to say google or gtfo, or point out the sky is blu or repeatedly say that JP people are insular/ hate change. Guess what buddy folks know that... so now how about telling us how we can get around that...

People are people no matter where they come from. You show a little respect and doors will open. This is truth...
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 14:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Darwin had it right. It's all about evolution. You adapt or die. I'm not trying to make wholesale changes of cultural mores I'm only trying to show people how to say please, thank you, and relevant game terms in Japanese.

IF folks don't want to make use of the knowledge shared that's on them, they can keep on being ignorant and wonder why JP players hate them.

THOSE that can make some use of what's been provided are going to have a better time of it. It is those open minded souls that I am trying to reach, and it is through by their efforts that the walls dividing us are brought down.

Help solve the problem you pontificating ***, use some of that education you puport to have for the better. Instead of making those trite comments you're so well known for.

It's an easy thing to say google or gtfo, or point out the sky is blu or repeatedly say that JP people are insular/ hate change. Guess what buddy? Folks know that... so now how about telling us how we can get around that...

People are people no matter where they come from. You show a little respect and doors will open. This is truth...
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:

Or maybe, just maybe everyone, including the japanese, could accept that there are ppl from all over the world speaking different languages and having different customs?

Again, thats the first step towards world peace (and domination) but you honestly going to force them into thinking that way?

You can not change a way people think. You can only understand how they think, and reason with them on their own terms (if needed) but you cannot change their views of things beyond the border.

Hell, even you have prejustices. Like you have shown here.

Malekith said:

THOSE that can make some use of what's been provided are going to have a better time of it. It is those open minded souls that I am trying to reach, and it is through by their efforts that the walls dividing us are brought down.

Help solve the problem you pontificating ***, use some of that education you puport to have for the better. Instead of making those trite comments you're so well known for.

It's an easy thing to say google or gtfo, or point out the sky is blu or repeatedly say that JP people are insular/ hate change. Guess what buddy? Folks know that... so now how about telling us how we can get around that...

You know, you can put your point across people without sounding like a complete ***. Maybe thats why nobody listens to you much, but then again, who am I to tell you how to think? Just pointing out your flaws.
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-08 14:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Barti rl pic with no moustache /shocked!
Methinks he is using his right arm to shield us from his conjoined twin myslexia.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-08-08 14:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

"us" understanding "them" is not going to solve anything. Thats gotta be mutual, they've gotta want to understand the rest of the world as well. And imo, it just seems wrong to have the rest of the world change their ways just to fit the japanese players.

you can understand them all you want, its not gonna change anything unless they decide they want to interact with non japanese speaking ppl.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 14:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Glass house + you + stones = ???

Let's see how long it takes you to figure it out...

And you know what... keep throwing that quote in my face, I wrote it. Regretted it. Wanted to take the higher road. Hell I even wrote that I deleted it and regretted writting it.

But whatever... I honestly hate your same shitty, tired act. I just wanted to post a link to that guide I found. And you're basically saying it's useless to try because people are aholes.

So you know what, *** you...

For those that missed the link because of this asshat posting and in turn bear baiting me... Here it is again...

http://shigemo.com/FFXI/nihongo_guide.html

Good luck, god bless, and I hope it helps people.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
"us" understanding "them" is not going to solve anything. Thats gotta be mutual, they've gotta want to understand the rest of the world as well. And imo, it just seems wrong to have the rest of the world change their ways just to fit the japanese players.

you can understand them all you want, its not gonna change anything unless they decide they want to interact with non japanese speaking ppl.

Again, are you going to force them into thinking what you want them to think?

Let people deside on what to think by themselves.

All you can do is understand them. YOU, and YOU ALONE.

with understanding, you will gain wisdom into who you really are, and if you don't like who you really are, you can change it. You can't change THEM, but you can change YOU.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 14:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
I smell a stereotype...

So If I directly seek out a JP player to do whatever in game with and they don't speak english/ignore me they're the ***. So I move onto the next person... big deal... An *** is an *** is an ***, they don't necessarily have to be JP. Lord knows there's enough in every culture.

The game world is big enough where we can all hide out in our own sandbox. But if you're gonna step on over to someone else's doesn't it make sense that you should be able to say hello? This is all I'm advocating by posting the guide.

I never said people have to learn conversational JP. I'm just pointing out that if you have to talk, it's best to know how to express yourself so that you're understood.

Sometimes the auto translator is a piece of ***. It's unwieldy at best and really if you know a word or phrase in the language you're trying to use the translator to convey, you're better off using that word or phrase.

If someone still persists in being an *** then, so be it. You tried. But it doesn't mean you stop being polite and stop trying to communicate. Getting back in your own sandbox and calling other people names for being rude solves nothing...
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Zanno said:
So If I directly seek out a JP player to do whatever in game with and they don't speak english they're the ***?

The game world is big enough where we can all hide out in our own sandbox. But if you're gonna step on over to someone else's doesn't it make sense that you should be able to say hello?

I never said people have to learn conversational JP. I'm just pointing out that if you have to talk, it's best to know how to express yourself so that you're understood.

Sometimes the auto translator is a piece of ***. It's unwieldy at best and really if you know a word or phrase in the language you're trying to use the translator to convey, you're better off using that word or phrase.

If someone still persists in being an *** then, so be it. You tried. But it doesn't mean you stop being polite and stop trying to communicate. Getting back in your own sandbox and calling other people names for being rude solves nothing...

Dude, you are blowing things way out of context.

And please, at least try to make your point without being so strong on the negativity.

You might find out that you get more bees with honey than you would with vinegar.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-08-08 14:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

you guys think that the japanese players are in a japanese forum right now posting guides on how to better get along with non JP players? Putting time and effort in trying to work together with other natinalities and cultures?

@ Malekith I never said they are *** for not speaking english did i? but its plain rude not to even respond to a party invite. what you said "beeing rude solves nothing", atleast on this server the japanese are very rude most of the time.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-08 14:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether they are or not, it's not my concern. Just because they're not doesn't mean I should be stubborn, ignorant or short-sighted.

The people who work together in this game are the ones that get ahead. And if I can expand the pool of people I can work with, all the better for me.

As for lack of response for pt? It happens all the time with english speakers, hell I'm even guilty of it. ***happens and real life intervenes it's not like people are always able to afk or post a seacom. Put yourself in their shoes...

And really what does it matter? You don't get that person, you move on... You'd have more of a reason to QQ over it if they got back to you and were rude in tells along the lines of, "*** you, you fat honky Mcround eye! Jp ONRRY ftw! orz gomen!" Now that's being a rude ***, and I severely doubt any of us have ever been on the receiving end of such a tell...
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
you guys think that the japanese players are in a japanese forum right now posting guides on how to better get along with non JP players? Putting time and effort in trying to work together with other natinalities and cultures?

Yes

I know for a fact that the culture is changing for the better of everyone. More (younger) people are looking outside the island and discovering new ideas on how to be better people.

How do I know this? I have experienced it during my stay in Japan for 9 months.

Sorry for the bold part, but yeah, its basically there.

Sure, this first generation of new ideas won't dissolve all the old ideas, but these things take time, and they are working more towards becoming global citizens thanks to the internet and going out and meeting real people in other countries.

Don't worry about it too much. 20 years from now, things will be a lot different than today in terms of Japanese/World relationships.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-08-08 15:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Please refer to this chart

User submitted image

lmao.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 15:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That chart is outdated.....

Russia hasn't been "commies" since 1990....
 Caitsith.Crouchingtiger
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Crouchingtiger 2009-08-08 15:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

lol that map is priceless.
 Shiva.Emobi
Server: Shiva
user: Emobi
By Shiva.Emobi 2009-08-08 20:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

There was mention of Japanese players being racist, which... well... it kind of is true. Not entirely.

I don't know how many of you have actually been to Japan, but when I visited, I was avoided a lot. Though they were extremely polite, it seemed to be a disappointment when I told those who mistook me for a European that I was an American. It's a lovely country, with wonderful people (and some jerks, oh well), and it wants to preserve that. Kinda shitty that American Sailors keep raping locals and causing violence.

Americans are encouraged to be egocentric, individual-oriented, and out-spoken; 3 things that go completely against the Japanese social structure. You also have to understand that they ARE a very proud, and closed society (as Korpg stated). They bounced back from total devastation, only half a century ago, which is something that I do not see America capable of (we're too animalistic). If we were hit with nukes, we wouldn't have a solid cultural backbone to rely on to rebuild with. We don't even put that much value into culture. The culture that we house is one of "take/take", what the Japanese refer to as "Take the money, and run." We work for ourselves, and not for the whole. Not to mention, we're soooo rude when contradicted.

Just based on that last sentence, you can probably grasp exactly why JP players avoid NA players - we did it to ourselves, and that's why it hurts.

I'm done. I hope it was educational.

~emobi
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-08-09 00:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone's a little bit racist; it's true.
 Ramuh.Guffy
Server: Ramuh
user: Guffy
By Ramuh.Guffy 2009-08-09 01:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I always looked at it is, it's too much dang work for them to want to party with English speakers, I wouldn't want to try to speak a second language I'm not as proficient in while I am trying to relax and play a fun game, sometimes when I get in a Japanese party it can be frustrating and boring not knowing too much what is going on. I use to do a lot of Nyzul runs with JP players because I mainly play during JP time and once I PTed and got to know a few of them they started inviting me through /tell because they knew I knew what I was doing and understood enough to communicate during lamp floors and such.

I really think the biggest thing is they don't want to feel like they are in English class to enjoy there game.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-08-09 02:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Anye said:
Everyone's a little bit racist; it's true.

Everyone's just about as racist as you

If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being so PC
Maybe we could live in harmony!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7