/unites and dances with his new spells.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-21 08:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I gotta admit, both the spells are good. Depending on the proc rate on para, I'll probably have sub-zero smash set for all my soloing, as it does pretty nice damage for 44mp. Triumphant Roar I really can't see the use of the spell unless it stacks with warcry/berserk etc. and use it with diffusion for a zerg, however 3 STR for 3 set-points is very nice for blu/thf and going all out STR for vertical cleave.

Having said that, pointless thread is pointless.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-07-21 08:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Tri Roar is Attack Bonus, so I'd imagine it would stack with Warcry/Berserk.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-21 11:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

just lettin' ya all know they suck ***

not worth the 2 hours of your time
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-21 11:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely disagree, as per my notes above *shrug*
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-21 11:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I completely disagree, as per my notes above *shrug*

i was reading your post Triumphant Roar STR+3 is nice but i feel like it should be AOE and the effect dont last long

as for sub-zero smash HP+10 VIT+3 worth it in a way but the Paralysis effect sucks i tried to get Paralysis to stick on mobs but nothing even when i use 2h anyone else have this prob?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-07-21 11:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

My Para stuck with Sub-Zero Smash. Hell I used it right back on those fat *** and it worked.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-21 11:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
My Para stuck with Sub-Zero Smash. Hell I used it right back on those fat *** and it worked.

da *** i couldnt get it to stick on a *** colibri
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-07-21 11:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cardinalgate said:
Haseyo said:

/facepalm
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-21 12:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Mogue said:
Cardinalgate said:
Haseyo said:

/facepalm

srsly no joke
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-21 12:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The paralysis seems pretty potent to me. I like it.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-21 13:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been spamming sub-zero *** slap on everything, but since I've been doing the moogle ***and farming level 10 mobs they've all been one-shotted... I guess that paralyzes them though <_<

Only thing I didn't one shot today was a #10 cardian, and para proc'd 3 times in a row immediately after using it. Even though it's a low level mob, that's pretty good. Will also be interesting to see if MND enhances it or something.

Gotta say though, I agree that triumphant roar should be AOE, the animation is TOTALLY an AOE animation and attack is kinda meh for blu anyway, so that's about the only thing I'm annoyed with. Will be using it with diffusion at the start of Einherjar bosses from now on though I think, as it's been confirmed that it stacks with everything.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-22 03:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

after a long sleep i gave sub-zero Smash and it would stick like jelly on bread
 Bahamut.Kelia
Server: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-07-22 04:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

girugamesh.... what there's a thread?
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-07-22 11:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone test if Triumphant Roar stacks with Warcry and Berserk?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-22 11:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It does indeed.
 Kujata.Regain
Server: Kujata
user: Regain
By Kujata.Regain 2009-07-22 12:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The Fast Cast JA is not bad, Bad Breathe and Sub-Zero Smash
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-07-22 12:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, so it may be possible for my--still badly geared--BLU to 600 ATK without a Bard. Gotta try it out again when I get some more attack gear. Thanks.
 Garuda.Aurilius
Server: Garuda
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-07-22 12:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll equip the +3 str one if nothing more than for the +3 str for only 3 points.

I'll take that lol
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-22 13:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no *** way my blu is hitting 600 attack without a brd, my tp gear has me at 355 without food or buffs, and triumphant roar puts me at 409. I've never worried about attack at all on blu and not really sure why I would.

And Aurilius, yeh, it's great for cannonball/vertical cleave set-ups, but also really good for zergs and einherjar and such with diffusion.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-07-22 13:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I mostly just ***around on BLU since I'm still gathering the needed gear to play it seriously. Currently sitting around 560 attack when I'm sub WAR. I guess it's just that I've been on mage jobs seeing below 100 ATK for so long that I kinda like getting it high as I could >_>
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-22 13:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh /war sub, I was on /whm for tele... With berserk warcry and TR, I'm at 536, 516 without warcry, 461 with berserk only. So yeh, I guess if I had a single piece of attack gear I could pump that a bit higher.

edit: 369 base
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-22 14:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lathario said:
attack is useless on blu, doesn't effect dmg of spells. only thing TR is only good for is buffing a mele pt before a zerg, or using it for the +3 str
How narrow-minded are you?

Aside from the 5 people out there that just had a lightbulb go off over there heads by learning that attack doesn't benefit blu spells, your assertion is like pointing out the sky is blu. It's pointless. That said, why bother with TR then?

Easy answer... a BLU's dps output isn't just the sum of blue magic spam, you also have to take into account your melee dmg during TP. Anything that bumps that up, and TR's +15% bonus definitely falls under that, is a godsend. If you're going to shortchange the spell then complain about it's duration or recast BUT definitely don't make an ignorant blanket statement that it's useless save for as a party buff for zerg happy DD's.
 Fairy.Darkcloudx
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Darkcloudx 2009-07-22 14:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when is meleeing with 500+ atk worthless? Stack that with 20% haste and refueling, if that's useless.. enlighten me please.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-23 11:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Lathario said:
attack is useless on blu, doesn't effect dmg of spells. only thing TR is only good for is buffing a mele pt before a zerg, or using it for the +3 str
How narrow-minded are you?

Aside from the 5 people out there that just had a lightbulb go off over there heads by learning that attack doesn't benefit blu spells, your assertion is like pointing out the sky is blu. It's pointless. That said, why bother with TR then?

Easy answer... a BLU's dps output isn't just the sum of blue magic spam, you also have to take into account your melee dmg during TP. Anything that bumps that up, and TR's +15% bonus definitely falls under that, is a godsend. If you're going to shortchange the spell then complain about it's duration or recast BUT definitely don't make an ignorant blanket statement that it's useless save for as a party buff for zerg happy DD's.

It's useless save for as a party buff for zerg happy DD's.

3 second cast time and 36mp for 15% attack bonus for one minute. Since the 3 second cast time + animation means that you're not meleeing for more like 5-6 seconds, that's 10% of the minute gone already. And how long do you melee for a whole minute without doing anything at all? Yeah, almost never. The only time I don't cast spells for that length of time is if I'm tanking something that is going to take me a while or I'm low on MP. If I'm low on MP or I'm going to be fighting this mob for a while, I sure as hell don't want to be wasting 36mp every minute 15% extra melee damage with nearly 10% less swings.

On /nin I get 10tp return per attack round, coming up to 100%tp right on my 10th round if I've had no double attacks or misses, if I'm not casting anything at all, not even ninjutsu, that takes me (you guessed it) about a minute. Say I'm hitting for 100 each swing, on a mob with that sort of defense, Disseverement will be doing 1K+ pretty damn easy.

So, in two minutes, I can cast Triumphant Roar twice (total MP 72), taking out 2 of my 20 attack rounds but theoretically boosting each swing to 115 damage instead of 100, for a total damage of 4140 in two minutes, as opposed to 4000 damage without it. Alternatively, I can skip this spell altogether, cast Disseverment once in that 2 minute period for a total of 2 more mp, and boost my damage to an easy 5k+ AND 18 damage per tic poison for generally over 2 minutes (a further 720 damage).

So for 72mp, I can use Triumphant Roar twice for a total damage increase of 3.5%, or I can use Disseverment once for an extra 2mp and increase my total damage by something more like 55%.

Moral of the story, this would have to last at LEAST 5 minutes, be aoe without Diffusion, and/or be more like 50% attack bonus rather than 15% for me to even CONSIDER using it outside of things like Einherjar.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-23 11:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Regain said:
The Fast Cast JA is not bad, Bad Breathe and Sub-Zero Smash

It is when you consider that's, what, 9 set points for the first tier of the trait? As DD spells go, MP is more of a limiting factor than recasts. Non-breath and even sometimes breath nukes I go /RDM so that's out... so I won't be setting it unless I'm tanking.
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-07-23 11:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
be more like 50% attack bonus

beacause that would happen...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-23 11:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Mogue said:
Blazza said:
be more like 50% attack bonus

beacause that would happen...

Of course not, but it's what it would take for the spell to be worthwhile outside of an AoE zerg buff. inb4 going to Kirin as BLU so I can buff the melee and then stand back as he dies even faster.
First Page 2 3 4