Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLUE MAGES UNITE
BLUE MAGES UNITE
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-23 11:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, 15% for 1 minute isn't exactly enough to start bringing blu's into the brd rotation, especially when it requires a JA that I'd wager most blus only have as a 20 minute recast. However, if you're a blu that's already in this situation (not likely considering our sucky damage on high DEF NM's, but it does happen), then the 3 STR will help out, and 15% attack will be more than welcome to the rest of your party.

And yeah, only situation I can think of for using fast cast is if I'm doing some serious blink tanking, especially on a mob that I know I'm not going to have time to use many debuffs on in between spamming utsu. I can't think of a single situation where I'd be doing this, but there you have it.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-23 12:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just cast the buff b4 you start hitting the mob and there you go

its an extra stuff tool in your repertoire stop complaining >.>
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-23 12:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually not complaining about the spell at all. The fact that both spells from this update have any use at all is fantastic, especially when you look at the 5 spells from WotG. Regurgitation = win, Corrosive Ooze = situational, Spiral Spin = less situational, seedspray and asuran claws = never.

However, my point was that if you're using this spell for anything other than "a party buff for zerg happy DD's", then you're an idiot. You're much better off spending the extra 8mp casting sub-zero *** slap instead, you'll end up with greater damage and have a chance at paralyzing too.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-23 12:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I'm actually not complaining about the spell at all. The fact that both spells from this update have any use at all is fantastic, especially when you look at the 5 spells from WotG. Regurgitation = win, Corrosive Ooze = situational, Spiral Spin = less situational, seedspray and asuran claws = never.

However, my point was that if you're using this spell for anything other than "a party buff for zerg happy DD's", then you're an idiot.

yeah thats cool

tbh when I saw the BLU update I was kinda pissed. Instead of adding new spell SE could have just fixed others

like really how many spells you don't use cause its total crap
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-23 12:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:

At level 75, there are 45 spells that I NEVER use, however probably about half of those are great at the level you get them.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-23 12:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Thunderz said:

At level 75, there are 45 spells that I NEVER use, however probably about half of those are great at the level you get them.

so 37.5 spells could be fixed and bam~ no BLU would ever have the same set spells
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-23 12:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

22 or 23 >.> 45/2=22.5

We'd still have similar sets for a particular situation, it's the fact that every spell has an application either for casting or setting for trait/bonus that makes so many of them useful. You have me casting Cannonball I have one set, solo/meripo another, INT/MND build another, Eyes on Me yet another spell set, etc.

Personally, I think the fact that over half our spells have some application even at 75 is pretty damn good. There's always going to be spells that are better and worse than others.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-24 06:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i wonder when will Blu get any non-Merit Job Ability's?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-24 06:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cardinalgate said:

Burst Affinity and Chain Affinity, beyond that, never is my guess.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-07-24 06:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

lolblu

Wooooodum's Trolling Skill rises 0.2 points!
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-24 07:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw a mithra in windy the other day called Wooooooo :o
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-25 08:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Cardinalgate said:

Burst Affinity and Chain Affinity, beyond that, never is my guess.

that really makes me a sad blue mage :(
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-25 08:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Why? lol... what did you want?
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-25 08:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Why? lol... what did you want?

something better then what we got i mean i dont use Burst Affinity and we got a somewhat shitty 2hour :(
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-25 11:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

/p you really should be using burst affinity, for exp situations you should pretty much always be blu/thf and do solo gravitation with CASA Death Scissors. You can them use BA to MB MP Drainkiss on most mobs you fight, and if it's not something with MP then you'll do the exact same thing with Digest.

I think until you get Disseverment you should be /thf in parties for this reason, been a long time since I was in exp though. However, even once you stop actually MB'ing your own SC's BA still has a use. Even without landing an MB, it doubles the secondary modifier of the spell or some ***like that, can't remember exactly, but it makes it a little bit more accurate/potent. Don't notice a difference with most things, but Magic Hammer definitely benefits from its use regardless of if you are MB'ing or not.

Moral of the story, use BA.
 Ramuh.Sanchez
user: MrSanchez
By Ramuh.Sanchez 2009-07-25 12:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the new fast cast trait, if you a guy like me with capped haste full homam, swift belt, turban, refueling = like 2 sec head butts and 25-30 sec Ni, n im a solo king with my blu helps so much!!!
 Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-25 12:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

T-Roar is nice for blus with a vorpal build. And I'll take a 3 point 3 str spell anyday.

Sub zero smash is insanely useful. The para procs often on imps which is a life saver after that defeaning tantura to sleepga 2 spams I seem to get with lol. Also the spell has probably the best animation of any of the spells in this game.

I do agree though Asuran claws and 1000 Needles should have been fixed. Also Azure Lore should have been fixed to when used your mp should be refilled to full.
 Fairy.Poof
Server: Fairy
user: Gaea
By Fairy.Poof 2009-07-25 12:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleedingwulf said:
Also Azure Lore should have been fixed to when used your mp should be refilled to full.

Azure Lore is nice but I think it could be expanded to be more useful. I'd say the fundamental problem is it's restriction as a goofy TP mod enhancement for the spells. They could actually make it something people would squeal over if they would expand it to the job traits that you've currently set up on your blue mage with spells.

For example if you set up your blu spells to give you Attack Bonus, you could be granted Attack Bonus IV while under Azure Lure. If youve have Conserve MP III set up, they could add three to that and give you Conserve MP VI which would just help you *SAVE* MP during your 2 hour. Accuracy Bonus would become Accuracy Bonus IV, Magic Attack Bonus would become Magic Attack Bonus IV. Basically +3 levels on the trait for the duration of the two hour. Regen +1 can become regen +4 Refresh +1 can become Refresh +4 (it's only a minute, why not?)

This would also make the BLU 2hr more customizable and not just use it to TP mod their spells. They might just want to do it to get the Refresh & Regen bonuses, for example.

Anyways that's always been my problem with the BLU 2hr. I think it's an "OK" 2hr, and it makes sense for the job, but it just needs to be expanded. Plenty of 2hr job abilities were expanded rather than changed and that worked out great.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I can add this too while I'm ranting it. I think it would be neat for Blue Mages to get the ability to share their job traits to make them more useful in non blue mage parties. They can keep it nerfed by making it not apply to people who have a higher tier. Let's say someone has Accuracy Bonus II and the BLU tries to share his accuracy bonus I. no effect, because it's a lower tier. However, if the blue mage 2 houred and did it, then it would be Accuracy Bonus IV. It would be an effect similar to Warcry and only last around 45-60 seconds. I think they could make it a full 60 since most jobs would be disqualified from getting the effects except during 2 hr which could make it really useful.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-25 15:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
/p you really should be using burst affinity, for exp situations you should pretty much always be blu/thf and do solo gravitation with CASA Death Scissors. You can them use BA to MB MP Drainkiss on most mobs you fight, and if it's not something with MP then you'll do the exact same thing with Digest.

I think until you get Disseverment you should be /thf in parties for this reason, been a long time since I was in exp though. However, even once you stop actually MB'ing your own SC's BA still has a use. Even without landing an MB, it doubles the secondary modifier of the spell or some ***like that, can't remember exactly, but it makes it a little bit more accurate/potent. Don't notice a difference with most things, but Magic Hammer definitely benefits from its use regardless of if you are MB'ing or not.

Moral of the story, use BA.

hmmm well i mainly only do Skillchain: Light what can i use to burst off that?
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-25 15:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Poof said:
Bleedingwulf said:
Also Azure Lore should have been fixed to when used your mp should be refilled to full.

Azure Lore is nice but I think it could be expanded to be more useful. I'd say the fundamental problem is it's restriction as a goofy TP mod enhancement for the spells. They could actually make it something people would squeal over if they would expand it to the job traits that you've currently set up on your blue mage with spells.

For example if you set up your blu spells to give you Attack Bonus, you could be granted Attack Bonus IV while under Azure Lure. If youve have Conserve MP III set up, they could add three to that and give you Conserve MP VI which would just help you *SAVE* MP during your 2 hour. Accuracy Bonus would become Accuracy Bonus IV, Magic Attack Bonus would become Magic Attack Bonus IV. Basically +3 levels on the trait for the duration of the two hour. Regen +1 can become regen +4 Refresh +1 can become Refresh +4 (it's only a minute, why not?)

This would also make the BLU 2hr more customizable and not just use it to TP mod their spells. They might just want to do it to get the Refresh & Regen bonuses, for example.

Anyways that's always been my problem with the BLU 2hr. I think it's an "OK" 2hr, and it makes sense for the job, but it just needs to be expanded. Plenty of 2hr job abilities were expanded rather than changed and that worked out great.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I can add this too while I'm ranting it. I think it would be neat for Blue Mages to get the ability to share their job traits to make them more useful in non blue mage parties. They can keep it nerfed by making it not apply to people who have a higher tier. Let's say someone has Accuracy Bonus II and the BLU tries to share his accuracy bonus I. no effect, because it's a lower tier. However, if the blue mage 2 houred and did it, then it would be Accuracy Bonus IV. It would be an effect similar to Warcry and only last around 45-60 seconds. I think they could make it a full 60 since most jobs would be disqualified from getting the effects except during 2 hr which could make it really useful.

Actually, Azure Lore is 30 seconds. That's the biggest problem right there.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-07-25 16:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Poof said:
Bleedingwulf said:

Actually, Azure Lore is 30 seconds. That's the biggest problem right there.

all 2h last 30 seconds
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-07-25 16:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not true. Bard 2 hr I believe is 2 min.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-25 16:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, DNC's Trance is 1 minute...

And yes, BLU get's boned hard on the 2 HR.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-07-25 16:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Benediction has no length, Mijin Gakure has no length, Eagle Eye Shot has no Length, Wild Card has no length.

Soul Voice lasts 3 minutes, Astral Flow lasts 3 minutes.

Hundred Fists is 45 seconds.

Spirit Surge lasts 1 minute, Trance lasts 1 minute, Overdriave lasts 1 minute, Tabula Rasa lasts 1 minute, Chainspell lasts 1 minute,

and Familiar lasts 30 minutes.

Meikyo Shisui, Perfect Dodge, Azure Lore, Mighty Strikes, Blood Weapon and Invincible last 30 seconds.

6 out of 20 last 30 seconds, very very very far from all

Kthxbai.

And yes Azure Lore Should last at least 1 minute.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-25 21:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

@Cardinalgate I think you've been told :p

Also, if you're doing light skillchain on anything with MP, you should be MB'ing Magic Hammer. I don't bother doing light SC unless I'm /thf, and that's been overtaken by darkness SC since getting Expiacion, but with a good MND build Magic Hammer can hit for close to 200 WITHOUT bursting. Add in full convergence and MB and it's just damn sexy. I use it on imps as often as possible, not bursting, but using BA, dunno if I could get chain 5's without it.

One time I was running to azouph isle staging point from arrapago reef and there were no parties killing imps. I decided to kill all the ones in my way, and got chain 5 WITHOUT RESTING O_O. Granted I was in red HP at the end and hardly any MP, but there's no way I could have done that without getting my full 184 return on magic hammer each time (and my MND build isn't great).
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-25 21:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
@Cardinalgate I think you've been told :p

Also, if you're doing light skillchain on anything with MP, you should be MB'ing Magic Hammer. I don't bother doing light SC unless I'm /thf, and that's been overtaken by darkness SC since getting Expiacion, but with a good MND build Magic Hammer can hit for close to 200 WITHOUT bursting. Add in full convergence and MB and it's just damn sexy. I use it on imps as often as possible, not bursting, but using BA, dunno if I could get chain 5's without it.

One time I was running to azouph isle staging point from arrapago reef and there were no parties killing imps. I decided to kill all the ones in my way, and got chain 5 WITHOUT RESTING O_O. Granted I was in red HP at the end and hardly any MP, but there's no way I could have done that without getting my full 184 return on magic hammer each time (and my MND build isn't great).

/em says something about fail Taru MND...
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-25 22:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldn't make a huge amount of difference really, since blu has such low base stats in everything, race doesn't play as big a part in it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-25 22:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't get why they tied a large part of the Azure Lore's potential to Chain and Burst Affinity :\ There's no guarantee the two will be up during the 2hr.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 01:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
I still don't get why they tied a large part of the Azure Lore's potential to Chain and Burst Affinity :\ There's no guarantee the two will be up during the 2hr.

"Azulmagia uses Azure Lore.
Azulmagia uses Chain Affinity.
Azulmagia uses Sneak Attack.
Azulmagia uses Trick Attack.
(PLD fubars and moves here)
Azulmagia casts Cannonball, but the spell fails to take effect."

100% accuracy? Is that too much to ask? ; ;
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-26 01:16:31