Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLUE MAGES UNITE
BLUE MAGES UNITE
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-06 00:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fort might not have much of a resistance to magic, but he doesn't take extra damage.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-06 00:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Prudence? I only gave special mention to Fort because his timing is easy for kiting whereas Prudence is mind-*** me at every half-cast of a breath spell and cancelling my ***with his porting. lol
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-06 00:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
And btw, Vertical Cleave doesn't get a correlation bonus on Jailer of Love as they're the same family. Fort and Temperance only.

Semi off topic but never heard of the correlation on sea mobs before, any links to testing on this?

Also, about your Mind Blast testing, are you adding together the Tier 1 and Tier 2 traits for blm? Tier 2 is 24, not 44.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-06 00:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

On the topic of monster correlation, sea uses family types like any other, though in their case they're both dominant and weak to one another at the same time if I understand it correctly. (may not!)

Luminian <--> Luminion

Instead of a one-way family2family weakness, it's directly opposed. I'm not 100% on how the strength and weakness works!
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-06 00:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I understand how the relationship would be (same as undead/arcana and demon/dragon relationships), I just never heard of the relationship existing at all. I guess it wouldn't be super noticeable considering there's only two sea spells that even do dmg, lol.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-06 00:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I think the only instances I've noticed the correlation are when Actinic Burst gets resisted on Aerns, and even then there's no definite way to tell whether it's just me being lol or an actual effect. D:
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-06 00:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

And if the correlation were in effect, it should actually be more effective against Aerns, lol.

Maybe I'll try doing some testing when I get home, not really much time to do stuff like that nowadays though.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-06 00:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
Blazza said:
And btw, Vertical Cleave doesn't get a correlation bonus on Jailer of Love as they're the same family. Fort and Temperance only.

Semi off topic but never heard of the correlation on sea mobs before, any links to testing on this?

Also, about your Mind Blast testing, are you adding together the Tier 1 and Tier 2 traits for blm? Tier 2 is 24, not 44.

Physical correlation doesn't make a great deal of difference imo. But sea mobs are divided into luminians and luminions. One is the fleshy type of mob (everything that can be found outside) while the other is the crunchy type of mob (pots and ghrah).

Yes, I think I was adding T1 ant T2 MAB together, which would change this:

2: 64+61 (125) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 711
3: 59+66 (125) MND and 78 MAB + Burst Affinity = 729
4: 64+66 (130) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 736

to this:

2: 64+61 (125) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 711
3: 59+66 (125) MND and 58 MAB + Burst Affinity = 729
4: 64+66 (130) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 736

Makes much more sense. Luckily the majority of the rest of my tests were done with /whm, so they still hold true.

Caiyuo said:
lol I think the only instances I've noticed the correlation are when Actinic Burst gets resisted on Aerns, and even then there's no definite way to tell whether it's just me being lol or an actual effect. D:

That's the only thing I've noticed as well. Not actually sure how correlation effects such as demon <-> dragon work either as there's not many opportunities/reasons to test it, and yeah, for the same reason, no idea if luminians/ons have the same effect, can only assume they do though.

I used to hear great things about CASA Ram Charge on Genbu 'cause of the monster correlation, I tried it a few times and found it to be severely under-whelming, so I really don't bother with physical correlation much at all. The only reason I mentioned it is because whoever it was said that Vertical Cleave gets a boost on JoL. Regardless of how/if the correlation works for sea families, this would not be the case.

And yes, I rant like a champ Cai :p
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-06 00:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, I have no idea how it works. D: I mean in would it be as simple as opposing families' spells being strengthened? No weaknesses? Probably not even worth finding out considering the minimal amount as you mentioned. lol
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-06 01:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It definitely strengthens both ways, noticed it a bit when doing stuff like ashu talif #1.

According to gobli, it adds a .25 bonus to the modifier, so it can actually be somewhat significant.

As for sea mob families, it's not a big deal, just now that it's been brought up I'm curious about it, lol.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-06 01:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there's no luminian damage spells (or whichever family ghrah is), so that counts out ix'mnk/drg/drk and 5 of the 7 jailers. Fort takes crap for damage from anything physical, and Vertical Cleave is the best SA slashing damage on temp regardless of correlation. So yeah, no point to even try and test it, would be nice to be able to land actinic burst on aerns though *shrug*
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-06 01:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Could still be useful to know whether it affects normal mobs too though. Like I said at this point it's more a curiosity than anything else.