Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLUE MAGES UNITE
BLUE MAGES UNITE
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-26 01:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if it did have it (which would be nice) you wouldn't get great numbers due to sneak attack not activating. I have hit the occasional cannonball with fire staff with sneak attack missing though lol.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 09:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sneak Attack would still proc, it's Trick Attack that wouldn't. Either way, it's still annoying as hell to have hits or entire spells missing/resisting during Azure Lore.

If I use 1000 Needles (yes, I use it in certain situations) with my m.acc gear, Burst Affinity, Convergence, and Azure Lore, I expect it to land, dammit. BLMs can make sure of that just by using a 10 minute ability over and over...
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-26 09:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

loltaru. Can't believe you use 1000 needles. I've played with it, but breath spells are waaaaaay more reliable, and about half the MP for same damage.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 09:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
loltaru. Can't believe you use 1000 needles. I've played with it, but breath spells are waaaaaay more reliable, and about half the MP for same damage.

My breath set isn't quite complete yet. It's usable, but even with Mirage, my Heat Breaths are still low 600s. I use 1000 Needles mostly for novelty purposes. I get funny /tells in Dyna when:

"Azulmagia casts 1000 Needles."
"Ji'Fhu Infiltrator takes 1050 points of damage."

Normally I use it to have an offensive option for when I'm geared for healing/light accuracy (when I don't even have 1000 HP), but I've pretty much switched to Radiant Breath for the reliability and added slow.

Sure it only does ~380 damage, but it's better than lolholy.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-26 09:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just the one Convergence merit? I don't use Radiant Breath either, too much MP for not enough damage yet again :(
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 09:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Just the one Convergence merit? I don't use Radiant Breath either, too much MP for not enough damage yet again :(

First 75, not done meriting ; ;

I put one merit in Diffusion and Convergence to start with just so I can *have* them. Just maxed sword yesterday and am working on magic next.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-26 09:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool cool, I probably would have done the same thing, but blu didn't have merits when I hit 75. I may have done blue magic > sword, but not sure now think it was sword first.

I'm assuming capped physical potency/magical accuracy for group 1? What about group 2? Personally, I love my 49 set points, but I often think I might actually use diffusion if it was on a 10 minute recast... but then I wonder what it would be like to have enchainment capped <_< Tough call on blu merits lol, any options really are viable compared to a lot of jobs that have 1-2 that you MUST merit and some that are pointless.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 09:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Cool cool, I probably would have done the same thing, but blu didn't have merits when I hit 75. I may have done blue magic > sword, but not sure now think it was sword first.

I'm assuming capped physical potency/magical accuracy for group 1? What about group 2? Personally, I love my 49 set points, but I often think I might actually use diffusion if it was on a 10 minute recast... but then I wonder what it would be like to have enchainment capped <_< Tough call on blu merits lol, any options really are viable compared to a lot of jobs that have 1-2 that you MUST merit and some that are pointless.

Depends on if I get to tank in my EGLS or not. If so, I'll probably nix the point in Convergence and 5/5 Diffusion, 5/5 Assimilation. Otherwise, I was thinking 1/5 Diffusion, 4/5 Convergence, 5/5 Assimilation.

Enchainment is overrated, IMO. Especially using Disseverment.

For group 1, CA recast is VERY tempting... but my current plan is 5/5 Potency, 5/5 M.Acc.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-26 09:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a bad idea, I do love having full convergence, but even with that I can still miss a lot of hard to land spells. It's great for exp though, get awesome magic hammer returns with it :D

About the only thing I ever use my two-hour for actually is in bird camp merit parties. When I get low mp, I pop 2-hour, use MP Drainkiss, BA Convergence Magic Hammer and I'm damn near full MP... And to think rdm's can do that every 10 minutes and much more reliably...
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 09:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Not a bad idea, I do love having full convergence, but even with that I can still miss a lot of hard to land spells. It's great for exp though, get awesome magic hammer returns with it :D

About the only thing I ever use my two-hour for actually is in bird camp merit parties. When I get low mp, I pop 2-hour, use MP Drainkiss, BA Convergence Magic Hammer and I'm damn near full MP... And to think rdm's can do that every 10 minutes and much more reliably...

Merit party I had last night, only MP recovery I had was MP Drainkiss lol. No space for Magic Hammer (don't have the inventory space to carry a lot of MND gear anyways ;;) and the WHM didn't have Devotion. Still, 3 MP/tick base Refresh helps immensely.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-26 09:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, relic body is a blessing, wait til you get balrahn's ring and start doing assault/nyzul isle/salvage, especially if you have a brd with storm fife. SOOOooooo much mp <3
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 10:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Aye, relic body is a blessing, wait til you get balrahn's ring and start doing assault/nyzul isle/salvage, especially if you have a brd with storm fife. SOOOooooo much mp <3

Dunno if I'll do Salvage, but Morrigan's legs/feet could be nice. I'm still struggling to get Denali Feet, though.

I've made absolutely no progress on ToAU, so I'm nowhere near Balrahn's. I have Omega, though...
 Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-26 10:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

1.Its physically impossible to miss Cannonball if it has been Sneak Attacked. SA FORCES it to Crit which means 100% ACC, so if your spell phails to take effect its obviously the mob moved, you moved, or you were interrupted somehow.

2.Morrigan's Feet are cool I guess but in my opinion Yigit Feet is where its at for Mind Blast because of the MAB+2.

3.This is a Cannonball Set. http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=87332
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 10:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleedingwulf said:
1.Its physically impossible to miss Cannonball if it has been Sneak Attacked. SA FORCES it to Crit which means 100% ACC, so if your spell phails to take effect its obviously the mob moved, you moved, or you were interrupted somehow.

2.Morrigan's Feet are cool I guess but in my opinion Yigit Feet is where its at for Mind Blast because of the MAB+2.

3.This is a Cannonball Set. http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=87332

1. Yeah, usually I miss because the other PLD pulls hate or a SAM/THF TAs before me or the PLD in front of me moves and turns the mob with him.

2. How useful is a Mind Blast set to have compared to, say, an Eyes On Me set? I don't have Yigit Feet, but I have Cobra feet at least...

3. I have a long enough wait for Fortitude Torque, I doubt I even have a shot at Justice.
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-26 16:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Mind Blast can be just as good if not better then a BLM's Burst 2.
Having more then 1 nuke is important for DoT.
Yeah that's right I'm talking to you silly BLMs who only cast Freeze 2 and wait till it's ready again. It's an amazing spell on Fafnir and JoFort.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-26 17:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Could someone post a Mind Blast set for BLU? Reading about its efficacy on JFort now has me intrigued.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-07-26 17:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Today I got my Enkidu's Mittens. BLU POWA!
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-26 18:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Mind Blast Set: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=87334

Well since JoFort is Kited generally, so any nuke is fine. Mind Blast/Eyes on Me are the ones I use when/if I get to go BLU to events(curse you COR).
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-26 19:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleedingwulf said:

Well since JoFort is Kited generally, so any nuke is fine. Mind Blast/Eyes on Me are the ones I use when/if I get to go BLU to events(curse you COR).
How much dmg are we talking here?
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-26 19:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Bleedingwulf said:

How much dmg are we talking here?

1500-1700 with BA/AL/Convergence/Memento Mori/MB'd 2100-2300
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-26 21:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleedingwulf said:

Do you actually own that set? I'd have to sell everything I have to afford half of one of those rings
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-26 23:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Its what I am working towards, basically made item sets as goals/best items in slots.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-27 00:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Morrigan's Coronal > Mirage Keffiyeh. Mods and MACC ftw. Depending on resists you could make an argument for full Morri but the Keffiyeh was the only thing I noticed that I could make a legit criticism of, that's a very solid build to be working towards. I'd like something similar but my rings would be Aqua Rings, a bit more modest :x No way I could afford 2 Celestial Rings lol
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-07-27 03:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Mirage Hat is better in my opinion. Breaking that next damage tier is going to give you better damage results then Morrigan's mods.

As for celestial rings white box ftw lol. Considering they don't even exsist on Midgard shows it's probably not gonna happen.

I'm planning on making a Sub-Zero Smash build soon. I currently cast it in my Big Three set but I'm working with base MND for the para to stick(gogo galka base MND). Generally I'll mesh my Mind Blast set with my Big Three set. The spell does have great potential currently mine have been hitting in the 400-600s on imps with the proc rate somewhere between 30-40%. I might even consider it a new addition to the Big three.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-27 05:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to hold off on saying "pics or it didn't happen" until I have a time to give Mind Blast a good test after salvage... But I'm preparing to say it quite strongly.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-27 06:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I'm going to hold off on saying "pics or it didn't happen" until I have a time to give Mind Blast a good test after salvage... But I'm preparing to say it quite strongly.

Yeah, main thing is, if BLUs are able to nuke for this much for 82 MP, why aren't all LSs scrambling for BLUs? I've not heard of this before.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-27 11:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, did some testing with a brd friend and some borrowed gear, and I'm still skeptical, but I'll reserve judgement until I see some proof or until I do testing round 2.

Was blu/whm for max MND, will try /blm next time as I only had tier 1 MAB job trait.

However, 2 nukes confirmed that MND+MAB > skill for this (and all magic based nukes). The only exception is absorb spells, just like all magic in the game. The fact that you don't know this, while claiming numbers three times the size as I've ever seen with this spell (until I tested it more as below) makes me somewhat doubtful, but let's continue.

I forgot to use Memento Mori which is why I'll try again tomorrow, but with Jupiter Staff, 64+106 MND, 41 MAB, capped Convergence, Burst Affinity, and Azure Lore I did 1320 on a level 10 bird in La Theine.

+83 MND, same MAB, no ja's = 710.

So yeah, you would have had 39 more MAB than me if you were /blm (+24 trait, +20 memento mori, -5 gear), whereas I had about 40 more MND than you (allowing for 23 from spells), which theoretically would make yours the better build.

However.

I continued to play a little after my brd friend left with his novio, jupiter's staff and etudes, and it's given me even more reason to doubt, along with a little confusion.

blu/whm gives me 54 MAB (20 from trait, 14 from gear, 20 from Memento Mori) and 64+66 MND, using burst affinity, Convergence and Memento Mori, I managed 920 damage on a level 1 bee.

blu/blm gives me 78 MAB (44 from trait, 14 from gear, 20 from Memento Mori) and 59+66 MND, using all the same as above, + elemental seal, I only managed 911 damage on a level 1 bee.

I tested both of these twice, both gave me the exact same number each time. This is the confusing part. Going by stats, blm should be the winner with only 5 less MND, but 24 extra MAB. I noticed I had 4 of the spells set required for MAB on blu, and swapped around some spells/gear to get the exact same stats but to just confirm that blu doesn't have tier 2 MAB. It did the exact same damage again, so blu can definitely only get T1.

The comparison between /whm and /blm would suggest that MAB plays little to no part in Mind Blast damage, so the next test was same MND, 12 less MAB. Scrapping convergence at this point, this took damage from 736 down to 678.

Next test, blu/whm 64+61 MND to match stats with /blm except 24 less MAB from lack of tier 2 trait. Memento Mori, Burst Affinity and Convergence = 888.

Removing Convergence, as it's a straight 25% damage increase (confirmed by tests and calculator), we've got:
1: 64+61 (125) MND and 34 MAB + Burst Affinity = 680
2: 64+61 (125) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 711
3: 59+66 (125) MND and 78 MAB + Burst Affinity = 729
4: 64+66 (130) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 736
5: 64+67 (131) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 737
6: 64+68 (132) MND and 54 MAB + Burst Affinity = 740
7: 64+67 (131) MND and 56 MAB + Burst Affinity = 747
8: 64+67 (131) MND and 56 MAB + BA AL, Converg = 1070

The first /whm vs /blm test (#4 vs #3) shows that MND has a greater effect on damage than MAB. Especially when comparing them both to #2, +5 MND increases damage by 25, while +20 MAB increases damage by just 18.

But then we look at #6 and #7 compared to #5, where +1 MND adds 3 damage and +2 MAB adds 10 damage, showing that MAB has the greater effect.

There difference between /blm and /whm really doesn't add up to me, considering that test #'s 5 6 and 7 show exactly what you would expect with that sort of MND/MAB difference.

However, test #8 is where it's at, allowing 23 MND from spells (was highest I could get, maybe squeeze one or two more out), same base MND (galka = hume), and the fact that I'm using yigit body and head instead of AF body and relic hat, this means that I've actually got 1 more MND than your "perfect build" and the same MAB. Yet somehow you're doing a full 50% more damage on a mob that's 85 levels higher. My lack of Jupiter's staff accounts for about 150-200 of that missing damage, not 5-700.

I call ***, and demand my 2 hours of testing back.

Besides, if I'd just read up a few more posts, I'd have remembered that you were the one that said yigit feet were better than morrigan's feet for Mind Blast. 2 MAB better than 7 MND? ***, I just looked at your profile, wish I'd done that before I wasted my time. Your cannonball build is good, but the rest of it is ***, learn your job before preaching to others about the best way to do things.

IF you have a Mind Blast build as good as your "perfect build", the only way you would be getting those sorts of numbers on a level ONE mob would be with a brd giving you 2-houred etudes and a cor giving you MAB roll. GTFO.

And btw, Vertical Cleave doesn't get a correlation bonus on Jailer of Love as they're the same family. Fort and Temperance only.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-27 12:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleedingwulf said:
Mirage Hat is better in my opinion. Breaking that next damage tier is going to give you better damage results then Morrigan's mods.

As for celestial rings white box ftw lol. Considering they don't even exsist on Midgard shows it's probably not gonna happen.

I'm planning on making a Sub-Zero Smash build soon. I currently cast it in my Big Three set but I'm working with base MND for the para to stick(gogo galka base MND). Generally I'll mesh my Mind Blast set with my Big Three set. The spell does have great potential currently mine have been hitting in the 400-600s on imps with the proc rate somewhere between 30-40%. I might even consider it a new addition to the Big three.

There are no skill tiers for magical spells. Also, something I missed last night: Morrigan's Pigaches >>>>>>>>> Yigit Crackows. 1 MAB is roughly equal to 1 of the primary modifier for magical BLU spells. Even if it was closer to BLM's ~2:1 ratio the Pigaches would win easily.

Also, I just read your numbers again. I want pictures of that 1500 Mind Blast. This is what I get for posting right before bed, I miss too much.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 23:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So yeah, still waiting on pictures of a 1500 Mind Blast <_<
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-06 00:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hadn't seen this when this all originally occured. Blazza rants like no other. lol Interesting info from the testing, though. The Magical side of BLU is really interesting, but without HQ staves and full Macc merits I've never been able to strongly justify using the literal nukes, just breaths. :3 Fortitude is a different story where resists were hardly ever seen and you can go wild with spells. Very fun BLU experience, like Prudence! lol

Added note: Because we're talking about spells, and I'll assume because Jailer of Love was mentioned, the current google ads:

User submitted image

lulz