2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Gastraphetes
Gastraphetes
First Page 2 3 4
By Ronsoranger 2013-04-27 04:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I recently started saving Alex for a mythic and was interested in making the crossbow. I am running out of room on a mule storing Alex(I may very well be ignorant to a way to turn it in before you get to the turn in stage) and haven't turned in a weapon to lock in which particular one I should make yet. I'd really like to make the crossbow due to my affinity for crossbows, and am hoping there's a more knowledgeable person(s) that could clear up a few questions I have.

Has anyone been able to determine a % increase to the enhances Snapshot effect? Or an educated guess based on how other Mythics work?

How much acc+ does the Barrage Accuracy+ give?

Most importantly, how does the ODD work for this? Does it apply to Barrage or Weapon skills? If I am not mistaken I saw on one of the Gastraphetes owner's profiles, that they said it no longer applies to Barrage and WS. It doesn't seem that this person still plays and perhaps if the ODD did at one time apply to Barrage and WS, that it could have been corrected at some point since the owner posted the comment.

A few new bolts were just released which makes me want to make this even more now, but I don't want to get shafted. I also have the relic gun to stage 3 and if Gastraphetes is obscenely inferior I'll just finish that. A final note, I am okay with it not being as good as Annihilator(to a point), as whipping out a badass crossbow will increase my sexiness level enough to bridge the gap.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2013-04-27 04:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't make this

Edit: What other options are you considering ?
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-04-27 04:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ronsoranger said: »
I also have the relic gun to stage 3 and if Gastraphetes is obscenely inferior I'll just finish that.

Gastraphetes is obscenely inferior, just finish that.

dmg80+94 vs dmg76+145, almost 75% the damage for 8x the price. {No, Thanks}

Also trueflight is ***.
By Ophannus 2013-04-27 04:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Would have been neat if it made Barrage 100% accurate but it doesn't even do that. No amount of acc will make Barrage bypass the terrible acc it has due to the 95% acc cap and how that 95% compounds on 10 shots to reduce the chances of landing all 10 shots to like 40 or 50% or something.
By Ronsoranger 2013-04-27 04:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

@10 shots I think it would be just under 60% but your'e right, I guess it wouldn't really matter in that regard. I was thinking, perhaps you could make a few changes to gear. Use more Ratt/STR gear etc, since you'd have the Mythic acc boost.

I also don't know how one would be able to maintain AM3 or how detrimental Trueflight would be. Though as I am typing this I noticed Mirvana's edit and this has been acknowledged. I guess I am doing what we've all done at some point in this game, try to make something we really like work that we know really doesn't stand a chance.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-27 04:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

59.9%~ chance of all 10 arrows/bullets/bolts landing. Fun fact, that makes a super relic proc barrage around a 7% chance of occurrence
 Bahamut.Mayoyama
Server: Bahamut
user: Mayoyama
By Bahamut.Mayoyama 2013-04-27 04:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

There are truly only a handful of the mythics that are actually worthwhile making (unless you are a major fanatic of a job and want to make just coz.. in which case you'd probably be rolling in gil with nothing else to spend on)

Ryunohige, kenkonken, yagrush and arguably death penalty, aymur and tizona are the ones that come to mind.
 Ragnarok.Zirael
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2013-04-27 04:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I recently started saving Alex for a mythic and was interested in making the crossbow. I am running out of room on a mule storing Alex(I may very well be ignorant to a way to turn it in before you get to the turn in stage) and haven't turned in a weapon to lock in which particular one I should make yet. I'd really like to make the crossbow due to my affinity for crossbows, and am hoping there's a more knowledgeable person(s) that could clear up a few questions I have.

Has anyone been able to determine a % increase to the enhances Snapshot effect? Or an educated guess based on how other Mythics work?

Most importantly, how does the ODD work for this? Does it apply to Barrage or Weapon skills? If I am not mistaken I saw on one of the Gastraphetes owner's profiles, that they said it no longer applies to Barrage and WS. It doesn't seem that this person still plays and perhaps if the ODD did at one time apply to Barrage and WS, that it could have been corrected at some point since the owner posted the comment.

A few new bolts were just released which makes me want to make this even more now, but I don't want to get shafted. I also have the relic gun to stage 3 and if Gastraphetes is obscenely inferior I'll just finish that. A final note, I am okay with it not being as good as Annihilator(to a point), as whipping out a badass crossbow will increase my sexiness level enough to bridge the gap.
You can log in on test server and try out all empy/relic/mythic weapons (including afterglow stage) for free. Just ask moogle for the gun and x-bow and try them out for yourself.
By Ronsoranger 2013-04-27 04:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zirael said: »
Hello,

You can log in on test server and try out all empy/relic/mythic weapons (including afterglow stage) for free. Just ask moogle for the gun and x-bow and try them out for yourself.

I hadn't considered that thank you. Mostly, cause I have never played on a test server and didn't know it was an option.
 Ragnarok.Phettyx
user: Phetty
By Ragnarok.Phettyx 2013-04-27 04:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/21257/zoquittihuitz
If you really want a crossbow to break out and use try this. Ten damage higher then 99 Gastraphetes and millions less. Put your Alex towards a weapon people won't laugh you out of the party over.

Bahamut.Mayoyama said: »
There are truly only a handful of the mythics that are actually worthwhile making (unless you are a major fanatic of a job and want to make just coz.. in which case you'd probably be rolling in gil with nothing else to spend on)

Ryunohige, kenkonken, yagrush and arguably death penalty, aymur and tizona are the ones that come to mind.
Death Penalty gets a mention, but not Terpsischore? You also left out Sam and War mythic.

Ps Death Penalty is only good for quick draw damage, and I don't think I've seen a cor use quick draw as anything other the wildfire buff in forever.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2013-04-27 04:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mayoyama said: »
Koga, Conqueror, Burtgang, Carnwenhan, Nirvana and Terp are all also worthwhile for their respective jobs
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-27 04:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Top bracket: Ryunohige, Kogasaramaru, Terpsichorde
Second bracket: Conqueror, Aymur, Glanzfaust
Third bracket: Kenkonken, Burtgang, Yagrush, Carnwenhan
Fourth bracket: Tizona, Nirvana, Levanteinn
Fifth bracket: Gastraphetes, Vajra, Death Penalty, Liberator
Sixth bracket: Nagi, Tupsimati, Murgleis
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2013-04-27 05:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

:O Glanz over any of the third bracket mythics ?
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2013-04-27 05:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
What are these brackets being valued on? o.o
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-27 05:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

1: awesome
2: good
3: good, but not worth that much time/money
4: situational
5: don't suck, but there's better
6: death
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2013-04-27 05:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I fail to see how Ryunohige/Terp is worth the time/money when Yagrush isn't lol
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-27 05:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said: »

General usefulness, whether they're worth the cost, etc.. It was difficult for me to put Yagrush and Carnwenhan that high, but they're better than the ones below it just by the sheer virtue of them being useful.

Quetzalcoatl.Generic said: »

I don't understand people's fascination with Yagrush. It does nothing incredible, it's a quality life enhancer or a tool for people too gimp to have /SCH leveled. Ryunohige makes a job that's otherwise useless into a top tier DD and Terp does almost the same thing.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-27 05:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause you can still accomplish the same things without Yagrush, it's just more annoying. On the other hand without Ryu you might as well change job.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zirael
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2013-04-27 05:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinions. Everyone. Has.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2013-04-27 05:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What x.x;
So you're saying that you'd rather make a sub-par DD into a "okay we can bring this job to events" DD instead of making it so you don't have to rely on stratagems to be up to remove debuffs on a pt while keeping them healed/buffed ? D:
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-04-27 05:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zirael said: »
Opinions. Everyone. Has.

except for that fact that these opinions are based on some pretty olde testing and facts. with a tiny drop of common sense >.>;
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-27 05:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryu enhances the job immensily. Yagrush only enhances one aspect and it's not even vital.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-04-27 05:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What x.x;
So you're saying that you'd rather make a sub-par DD into a "okay we can bring this job to events" DD instead of making it so you don't have to rely on stratagems to be up to remove debuffs on a pt while keeping them healed/buffed ? D:

the dps gain that drg gets from ryuno is large enough to make it worth making over a yagrush many times over, so yes.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-27 05:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Proth's assumption was that not only is the player possessing the weapon a career player at that job, but they also have all other R/E options, which is a natural assumption given that they are mythics.

Still though, I would prob put KKK/Lib/Yag up a tier...agree with the rest. Hard for me to argue for Carn that high too, though, but if you have 99 Harp/Horn it's filthy.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-27 05:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What x.x;

If that's what you think Ryunohige does then you should probably become more informed. It completely changes its respective job and makes it a top tier DD, not a "oh well may as well invite it since we have nothing better..."

And relying on strategems A) isn't much of an issue and B) isn't a necessity; AoE status removal is an afterthought, something that can be avoided entirely while remaining efficient at the role. Yagrush is a complete and utter luxury, it's almost the definition of the word, you do not need it to play the job effectively and it does next to nothing to reform the job's role, efficacy, or otherwise important traits. It is not a mould breaker.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-27 05:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ken is probably lower simply for the job attached to it. It's a great weapon, but you're still a pup.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-27 05:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Ken is probably lower simply for the job attached to it. It's a great weapon, but you're still a pup.

I know it's easy to pile on PUP, but I assume *most* of the people interested in KKK are not interested in it because they think it will turn them into a WAR or DRK. It's still an amazing weapon if you're using it for, um, whatever it is people use PUP for. (I assume fun.)
 Valefor.Philemon
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2013-04-27 05:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said: »

General usefulness, whether they're worth the cost, etc.. It was difficult for me to put Yagrush and Carnwenhan that high, but they're better than the ones below it just by the sheer virtue of them being useful.

I don't understand people's fascination with Yagrush. It does nothing incredible, it's a quality life enhancer or a tool for people too gimp to have /SCH leveled. Ryunohige makes a job that's otherwise useless into a top tier DD and Terp does almost the same thing.
I think you're selling Yagrush and Carnwenhan a little short in terms of usefulness but even if you give them more credit I guess it doesn't change their overall ranking in the mythic hierarchy. Ryunohige probably deserves its own tier for how much it improves the job.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-27 05:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kenkonken really aren't that much of a boost to DPS, contrary to popular belief.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-04-27 05:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, first page and we've already derailed into mythic tiering after OP was answered within 5 posts!!

First Page 2 3 4