Your haste set is nice but ppl often forget about
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/17577/capricorn-staff
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-03-04 09:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupendous work. I have a very minor comment in regards to the commentary on the shield mastery trait:

ghishy said:
While supporting, one will most likely be wearing a PDT set that includes either an Earth Staff or a Terra’s Staff.

If mp is over 75% I'd use owleyes/genboob if not whacking stuff. Under 75% an earth staff with oneiros coincides with your comments <3.
 Cerberus.Maxiel
Server: Cerberus
user: maxiel
By Cerberus.Maxiel 2013-03-04 13:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Something I'd add to Part 5 Tips and Tricks is giving cureskin to your DD even if it'll heal for 0. Some mobs can destroy someone's max hp before you can even react, and that 300-350 skin can go a long way.

Odin 2's Kai and initial hits his adds will do to one person, as well as Pony and Paramount Gallu in Legion are some good examples. Of course this is only good in these zones cuz you usually have a brd, that's why it's a tactic you should be the judge of based on your mp conservation.

I'm also guessing you dont have Chrysopoeia Torque in your "Notable Refresh gear" list because embrava will be nerfed soon? Still it has its uses if you got a sch in your pt with Adloquium or Voidwatch if you wanna drink a monarchs.
 Phoenix.Bohgo
Server: Phoenix
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2013-03-04 15:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if I missed these in the guide if they are there, but you could consider adding something in the barspell section about how to counter certain status ailments. I find myself casting barfira for mobs that inflict amnesia, barthundra for mobs that stun, etc. Also, you could add something about boosting backline jobs and firestorming Corsairs.

Nice guide...can see a lot of effort was put into it! The world needs more White Mages who know what status ailments are inflicted by what moves, know how to remove them, and basically give a ***about playing the job to full potential.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2013-03-04 15:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Great work ! I look forward to "Part 6 – Applying Mace to Face – “Stop! It’s Hammer Time!”" and you adding /NIN under subjobs!
[+]
 Bismarck.Pebbs
Server: Bismarck
user: Saeyent
By Bismarck.Pebbs 2013-03-04 16:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Because of this question:
hmp Build?

Could expand the hMP section with information about refresh?

Actually this is me begging you to. Please save my sanity!

There are a lot of players who don't know about hMP, especially newer players who "grew up" in abyssea, and who still struggle with the concept of MP conservation and recovery.

Things that come to mind:
Salvage
Sky (long Kirin kiting fights to teach people what kiting is)
Non-abyssea XP parties (the ones without a PL, so that people learn that cure 5 is not the best thing to use when you have a scratch.)
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-05 22:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for lack of updates everyone, I've just had 2 straight days of 12 hour shifts, so I haven't had time to sit down and rework the sections, but I will be as soon as I can. Thank you for all the suggestions, I will comment on individual points once I get the time to do so.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-03-05 22:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Needs a 75 level sync section.
 Sylph.Binckry
Server: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2013-03-06 01:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Pebbs said: »
Non-abyssea XP parties (the ones without a PL, so that people learn that cure 5 is not the best thing to use when you have a scratch.)
Most abyssea grown whms I know use cure VI a lot more than IV and V, even though III or IV are more than enough ._.
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2013-03-06 13:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Great posts, however, I noticed that the Cure section doesn't mention that the true cure potency cap is similar to the haste cap; the number shown on armor can be misleading.

Each 1% cure potency = 10/1024 potency which is actually slightly less than 1%. So at +50% potency from gear, you're really only gaining 500/1024 = +48.8% potency. You need 52% potency from gear to hit the actual cap of 512/1024, although 51% gets you damn close at 510/1024. So I'd suggest that 51% is the desirable number, unless you can get the last 1% at zero opportunity cost.

Also, the recommended sets you give tend to ignore everything except the actual cure value, which I think is short-sighted. There are other things that matter as well, like enmity down or conserve MP. This is the set I'm currently using and consider ideal:

Cure4 = 900
Cure5 = 1115

Whether you leave items like the Bishop's Sash in there, I don't care, but you might want to at least mention that the focus of the sets you provided ignored everything except the cure value so that people don't misinterpret that as you saying that nothing else matters. Unless that is what you're saying, but I hope it's not.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-03-06 13:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you're dropping a cure on somebody who's freshly engaged- at which point you're splitting hairs- your enmity is inconsequential. Outpacing the enmity accumulated by consistent damage output hasn't been realistic for a long, long time.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-03-06 13:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
Unless you're dropping a cure on somebody who's freshly engaged- at which point you're splitting hairs- your enmity is inconsequential. Outpacing the enmity accumulated by consistent damage output hasn't been realistic for a long, long time.
It's pretty important in Odin 2 with MNK strategy.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-03-06 13:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not familiar, but if there are special (newer) circumstances where it becomes important, they should be treated as such: special.

"You should tell people that your set is lacking in this extremely important aspect that's only relevant in one situation in the entire game" seems a tad unwarranted.
[+]
 Shiva.Bigslank
Server: Shiva
user: bigslank
By Shiva.Bigslank 2013-03-06 16:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

very nice guide but that's allot of gear to carry around but i guess this is more for the career whm
 Leviathan.Kaehlan
Server: Leviathan
user: Sakka
By Leviathan.Kaehlan 2013-03-06 18:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm stuck on one concept that I've never quite understood: If cure potency caps at 50% (or 51-52%, then rounded down), why does additional mnd or healing skill matter? Why not haste/fastcast/conserve mp? Why not just keep the healing magic skill gear for things like curse removal?
 Sylph.Binckry
By Sylph.Binckry 2013-03-06 19:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaehlan said: »
I'm stuck on one concept that I've never quite understood: If cure potency caps at 50% (or 51-52%, then rounded down), why does additional mnd or healing skill matter? Why not haste/fastcast/conserve mp? Why not just keep the healing magic skill gear for things like curse removal?
It still increases your cures. Rather, it increases power, which is something in the cure formulas. I'd think the higher cure numbers would also be for the bonus on the Emp. legs+2, and also for a higher cureskin.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-03-06 21:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

One's actual curative capacity is determined by several factors. "Cure potency" is one of these, and its effectiveness has a cap, at which point you're only able to further increase your curative power by other means(MND, healing magic skill, etc.)
 Leviathan.Kaehlan
Server: Leviathan
user: Sakka
By Leviathan.Kaehlan 2013-03-06 22:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So then, theoretically, would there be no cap on the total cure power or capacity from potency, mnd, and skill?
 Sylph.Binckry
By Sylph.Binckry 2013-03-06 22:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So then, theoretically, would there be no cap on the total cure power or capacity from potency, mnd, and skill?
Well, you already said earlier the cap on potency is 50%. And we all know it IS 50%... so <_<
 Valefor.Thelaughingman
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Thelaughingman 2013-03-07 00:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

While writing this post I noted that it was about a year ago we found a working formula. On this note while I write out this post I'd like to make a shout out to Motenten and Aleste who did most of the important work.

There is a cap on (almost?) everything when it comes to cures, there just tends to be different caps. While you should go check out the Cure Formula Changes thread on the Official Forums (over in the White Mage subsection over there) for more detailed information, here is a basic bit of information about the various caps, and a tiny bit about the formula itself.

So the formula is calculated in stages, first you got your power calculations to determine the base cure - power numbers are fed into a formula depending on which cure it is. After this you have Cure Potency, which multiplies the base cure. Then you have day/weather bonuses, which themselves are multiplied on the last number (meaning the effect is multiplicative with potency, which is important to know, although moreso for Scholar). Then you take cure potency received (which is a separate category from cure potency) and multiply it on the last number. Somewhere after all of this you calculate Rapture and Divine Seal bonuses and then calculate total cureskin, then check the WHM AF3 pants bonuses for what refund you get.

Cure power numbers for single target cures are power = floor(MND/2) + floor(VIT/4) + skill, this cure power number is then taken through a different formula depending on the tier of cure. Caps for all the parts of a cure go as follows:

• Power - 700

• Cure Potency - 50%

• Day/Weather Bonus - 50%? (This effect might not actually cap.)

• Cure Potency Received - 30%

• Cureskin - 300~400 (Depending on if you're using Orison Bliaud +2 or not.)

• AF3 pants MP refund - Caps at only refunding the cost of the spell, no free MP.

With the exception of weather bonuses from various gear pieces, we know all of this caps at various amounts, including cureskin (mostly only ever a problem for Cure VI, but you shouldn't be casting that anyways... this being one of the reasons).
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-07 18:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Spoiler-ing as this post is wickedly long, lol. Replying too many comments posted since I got time now.

A general thank you for all the feed back and positive comments thus far ^^
 Sylph.Binckry
By Sylph.Binckry 2013-03-08 08:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
I personally roll in 90 pieces of equipment on my White Mage with satchel to bag swaps as needed depending on the fight or what I'm doing.
I feel you >:
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-03-08 09:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I've started to just leave out all mab-gear, unless I know it'll help speed up azure-building in abyssea. :<
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-08 12:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
I've started to just leave out all mab-gear, unless I know it'll help speed up azure-building in abyssea. :<

Sad things is, I don't even have a dedicaged MAB set, I hardly nuke as is that I didn't feel the need for it (only thing I really carry around is an A'as Circlet). I currently just stack as much MND as possible when I nuke and let it be done with. Even for Azure farming, my Banishes and Holy's do enough thanks to Atmas and Arka I.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2013-03-08 13:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any documentation substantiated the fact that Cure values are slightly under 1%? I can see the logic given Haste Value, but this is personally the first time I've actually heard this argument being made, so I am curious as to where you have seen this discussion from.
I haven't seen any documentation. I only know because I tested it myself when I picked up Iaso Mitra and was reworking my Cure build. I made a build that had exactly 50% potency and tried a Cure V, then I swapped my Novia Earring for Orison Earring (no change to MND or healing skill) and my Cure V was a few points stronger at 52% potency than it was at 50%.

You're welcome to confirm it with your own tests. I was a little surprised at it as well, because I had never heard anyone mention it and I think it's not very well known.

Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
Not familiar, but if there are special (newer) circumstances where it becomes important, they should be treated as such: special.

"You should tell people that your set is lacking in this extremely important aspect that's only relevant in one situation in the entire game" seems a tad unwarranted.
Good thing that's not what I said. Nice job putting words in my mouth, though. Makes for a nice straw man. What I did say, is that you shouldn't ignore enmity down outright.

Enmity down is important is several areas of modern endgame, not just Odin 2. Legion is another example where enmity down matters. I can and do still sometimes pull hate in those fights even with the enmity down in my Cure gear, especially since we're often quickly engaging new targets after the old target is down. Even on targets we haven't just engaged though, if the DD buffs start to wear off and a fight slows down and DDs start taking more damage, I can still end up pulling hate. I think a lot of people who spend too much time in Abyssea/Voidwatch or doing old Lv75 content underestimate just how much healing a good WHM can accomplish.

Arch Omega is another example. He does hate resets frequently and the lower your enmity, the better off you'll be.

Not to mention your original exception of casting a Cure when someone had just engaged a fresh mob is by itself enough justification for working at least a little enmity down into your setup. Again, I'm not talking about giving up potency and a few dozen healing skill. I'm talking about trading 3 healing skill for 7 enmity down, or 5 healing skill for 6 MND, Enmity-4, and 5 Conserve MP. I'm talking about only doing it where it makes sense. I'd rather have 20% less enmity on my cures than have my Cure V restore 1120 instead of 1115.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-08 23:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
Is there any documentation substantiated the fact that Cure values are slightly under 1%? I can see the logic given Haste Value, but this is personally the first time I've actually heard this argument being made, so I am curious as to where you have seen this discussion from.
I haven't seen any documentation. I only know because I tested it myself when I picked up Iaso Mitra and was reworking my Cure build. I made a build that had exactly 50% potency and tried a Cure V, then I swapped my Novia Earring for Orison Earring (no change to MND or healing skill) and my Cure V was a few points stronger at 52% potency than it was at 50%.

You're welcome to confirm it with your own tests. I was a little surprised at it as well, because I had never heard anyone mention it and I think it's not very well known.

Hurm, I can't seem to produce your results.

Are you sure it wasn't another factor?
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2013-03-09 15:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Zenith pumps augmented with healing magic +6 and cure pot+4%
This set while healing others should be SLIGHTLY better than the currently posted one by 3 healing magic skill (still losing 3 mnd tho).
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-10 18:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kogenta said: »

Zenith pumps augmented with healing magic +6 and cure pot+4%
This set while healing others should be SLIGHTLY better than the currently posted one by 3 healing magic skill (still losing 3 mnd tho).

Updated. I was originally not gonna do so citing the random pool augment issue, but after some considering, I felt it was appropriate. It's not like I haven't been going to the wall with some of my gear choices as is (~coughs~ Yagrush ~coughs~). The overall idea is to give aspiring White Mages the "optimal" set and give them several options afterwards.

General aesthetic update and formatting edits completed for the guide. FFXIAH links added to the majority of spells as there is easy access to each type of Wiki from that page. Will probably be set for now until SoA gets released.

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Well written so far. The three tiers of sets for Healing Magic for instance there is a very powerful way of helping people who are reading in my opinion and I think you should use it on the other sets too.

EDIT: and if you really want to go all of the way, record yourself healing something challenging (ie not with too many other healers) so that a newer WHM can *** your priority order (who do I heal first? Status effects or healing first? etc) and reaction speeds etc. Some people learn better from watching than reading, and even if this is not the case it can be very useful to see it in action.
If they're good at video editing it could make for a great learning tool if they pause it and go about what they're thinking at that moment then resume, etc.

Ninja Edit: I want to go back to this comment for a moment, from both Raen and Kali. I do have the means to record myself, but not exactly sure what to record ATM. I currently don't do Meebles, I was thinking of doing a full Salvage run recording (using 4-6x speed between rooms/running, etc). But it would be a fairly lengthy video and I'm not sure how well that'd help anyone. Still, it's a thought.

I have two other videos that are 'party based' ATM - one is a White Mage's primer for Cerberus Seether and another is just a general Hall of Mul Legion run, I'm not sure either would be a fair representation of the above points.

Thoughts?
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2013-03-11 10:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for this and great work! My whm is 12, so I know(knew) so little about the job. My friend finally caved and gave me his retired accountwith whm as main... I was just so bad at it, it didn't do a whole lot... This changes everything! Now to learn how to bind keys for macros.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-18 18:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This Cure set has been brought to my attention via PM.

ItemSet 284234

Which, I will say, does beat out the other optimal set posted... by about 1 power. It's not much, but I am striving for optimization, so it shall be posted!

I would like to bring up this point in my guide though:

Gearing for your single target cures is dependent on your desires. The only stipulation I would put on any Cure set is to hit that 50% potency threshold.

So, just because people see these sets and go "OMG, I can't get that! O-o", just make sure to have 50% potency and slowly work on improving your sets afterwards.

Also, a small update on "Knowing thy enemy" has been added to the tips section for those looking for some general game play tips, but for a White Mage, nothing beats knowledge and experience in this field.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19