By Kimble2013 2013-03-02 22:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rucks said: »
1. Cast Cure
2. Wait for recast
3. Cast Cure again.
4. ???
5. Profit.

pretty much with some nas here and there and haste, lol.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-02 22:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Any other WHMs going to try out GEO when it comes out? :x
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-03-02 23:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A good calculator for your cures, didn't see it in the guide:
Cure Calculator
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-02 23:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know how to make lines show up on tables? My efficiency section looks kinda silly without them >>;....
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-02 23:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Anyone know how to make lines show up on tables? My efficiency section looks kinda silly without them >>;....
Numbers Letters
4 a
3 b
2 c
1 d
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-02 23:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Cure Calculator
Should also recommend FFXI Calculator, I recommended a cure section and he did an awesome job for it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-02 23:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, posted for now, gonna make quick edits and look at comments ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-02 23:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I asked Fenrir.Motenten to create a DPS Calculator for WHM, if you're interested in that sort of thing it might help. He does an amazing job with all his spreadsheets.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-03-02 23:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Stickied.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-03 00:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Just something I saw, but a PDT magian club and genbu's offers more PDT than Staff does. Also has a chance at shield blocks, which may not seem like a big deal, but it's better than nothing. Not that I recommend going out of your way to make a PDT club just for that, though.

I adjusted the set in general to reflect your suggestion, you do bring up a good point. Instead, I listed Earth / Terra as a cheap or not-so-time consuming alternative.

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
'Down side' implies that you've loss ground, or you've potentially loss ground. Since neither of the alternative to Afflatus Solace, that being neutral or Afflatus Misery, offers cureskin to curaga/cura, the fact that Afflatus Solace doesn't provide cureskin to curaga/cura is not considered a 'down side'.

Reworded~

/blm gives you sleepga also, which can be hugely important.

Added!

No reason to have protectra V
To be fair, I don't think any Group 2 merit outside of Shellra V is hugely important. I just keep Protectra in for convenience sake.

I still can't think of a reason to have martyr. People say it's for a quick emergency cure, but that's only good if you've panicked, which you shouldn't, or you're out of MP, which means you're dead anyways.

There have been instances where I have felt the need for Martyr (and not for lack of MP). Those instances tend to be at times when I feel "I just can't cure fast enough (even at the speed I can heal at!)", and I've used it enough times to warrant keeping it. Again, Group 2 merits are kinda silly outside of Shellra V though, so I may adjust the dialogue here to reflect "what you feel is comfortable"

Around the cure section, your stated that mnd is more important than healing magic skill. Also, I'm not seeing anything about the special static enmity of cure5/6, though I'm not all the way through yet. I think something should be mentioned while you're talking about the cure 5/6 spells themselves.

Curagas don't have any special static enmity associated with them, so they can potentially generate tons of hate. Some -enm gear might be a good idea for curagas.

Adjusted, thank you ^^

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Cure Calculator
Should also recommend FFXI Calculator, I recommended a cure section and he did an awesome job for it.

Added both!

Numbers Letters
4 a
3 b
2 c
1 d

Thank you!

Valefor.Angierus said: »

Whitemage can't use Blitz Ring but great set so far, been waiting on this to show up for some time.

Adjusted! For the longest time, I thought Blitz Ring was all jobs. Ah, how mistaken I am.

Also, I asked Fenrir.Motenten to create a DPS Calculator for WHM, if you're interested in that sort of thing it might help. He does an amazing job with all his spreadsheets.

I shall definitely be using that when I get to the smash face section of the guide. Unfortunately, I only know of rudimentary damage math, so I'll probably need some help with this as I get the information together.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-03-03 00:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, I like my 875mp devotion. Devotion can be rather useful, but maybe it's just me since I trio box and two of them are always mages, so I use it heavily.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-03 00:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, I like my 875mp devotion. Devotion can be rather useful, but maybe it's just me since I trio box and two of them are always mages, so I use it heavily.

That's a hefty amount, I like that number a lot.

I've adjusted that section a little to reflect that players should base their non-Shellra V selection around their play style and events.
 Valefor.Thelaughingman
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Thelaughingman 2013-03-03 03:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Some nitpicking since the majority of anything I would do different is preference:

I wouldn't even suggest VIT as a mod, you'd be better off meriting something like INT and using it with your subjob spells if you didn't have any reason to merit STR.

I'd mention meleeWHM merit choices as well when discussing merits.

On movement speed gear don't forget to mention Desert Boots, since if you're doing it right most of the time you'll have Sandstorm. Definitely not as good, but White Mages can be pretty poor.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-03 08:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Thelaughingman said: »
Some nitpicking since the majority of anything I would do different is preference:

I wouldn't even suggest VIT as a mod, you'd be better off meriting something like INT and using it with your subjob spells if you didn't have any reason to merit STR.

I'd mention meleeWHM merit choices as well when discussing merits.

Yep, I agree, the second set of Stat merits isn't very important, to be honest. I personally roll with STR + MND merits, but that's why I put in the text there that the VIT merits should be only be used in the extreme case of a career WHM.

I shall be reviewing and discussing merit selection for Melee WHM when I build the melee section, so it shall be in, just not yet ^^

Valefor.Thelaughingman said: »
On movement speed gear don't forget to mention Desert Boots, since if you're doing it right most of the time you'll have Sandstorm. Definitely not as good, but White Mages can be pretty poor.

Added, thank ya!
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2013-03-03 10:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Your middle curing set has a MND ring (solemn ring) instead of ephedra ring. Not sure if that's done because of price on your server, but it's only 5k on Bahamut (compared to 20k for that MND ring).

Edit: Same thing in the beginner set. If money is the issue, Ephedra instead of that Aqua ring (which is ~40-50k), or Sirona's if you want to drop 5-10k more..

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tibze
Server: Sylph
user: Tibz
By Sylph.Tibze 2013-03-03 11:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, great read... I'm not even Whm and I ended up reading it all >.>

(I'm normally a TLDR person and will often "SQUIRREL!" and won't finish reading things, lol)
 Cerberus.Maxiel
Server: Cerberus
user: maxiel
By Cerberus.Maxiel 2013-03-03 11:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There have been instances where I have felt the need for Martyr (and not for lack of MP). Those instances tend to be at times when I feel "I just can't cure fast enough (even at the speed I can heal at!)", and I've used it enough times to warrant keeping it. Again, Group 2 merits are kinda silly outside of Shellra V though, so I may adjust the dialogue here to reflect "what you feel is comfortable"

It's also a low enmity cure, so it's good if a tank has to diaga adds and gets into some nasty situations.

I would suggest Hearty Earring as a good idle earring. ***happens and sometimes you get hit with 20' range enfeebles. It has a decent proc rate just from eyeballing.
 Shiva.Lauaxeta
Server: Shiva
user: Lauaxeta9
By Shiva.Lauaxeta 2013-03-03 15:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I only want to say <Good Job!> Ghishlain. ^.^
 Quetzalcoatl.Kimora
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kimmy
By Quetzalcoatl.Kimora 2013-03-03 15:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

For clear mind, Whm has Lv5 at Lv80 and Lv6 at Lv96
 Odin.Kysenna
Server: Odin
user: Kysenna
By Odin.Kysenna 2013-03-03 18:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Omigosh.. thank you for making this! :) WHM has changed a lot since I took my last break, this will be great for catching up.
 Ragnarok.Darkria
user: Darkria
By Ragnarok.Darkria 2013-03-03 20:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghish you should post your youtube solo vids to show how it works :D and to let people who do not know you know that you know what you are doing!!!

This whm impresses the hell out of me and never stops to do so. When a whm solo's Sedna you know they mean business...
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-03 20:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Krizz said: »
Your middle curing set has a MND ring (solemn ring) instead of ephedra ring. Not sure if that's done because of price on your server, but it's only 5k on Bahamut (compared to 20k for that MND ring).

Edit: Same thing in the beginner set. If money is the issue, Ephedra instead of that Aqua ring (which is ~40-50k), or Sirona's if you want to drop 5-10k more..

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I would add links to each spell you name, on wiki or bgwiki so people can instantly go buy them if they want to know what npc/bcnm each are from too

Yeah the middle set is a bit off, has someone completing whitegate missions for the neck when the optimal set is "just get lucky with a bismarck Pug"

But great job so far man

I've adjusted the mid set to reflect Ephedra's Ring, that is a very good point. I only defaulted to Solemn because I was thinking "Hurm, easy to hunt in Abyssea", but Ephedra's will certainly win.

In terms of my low set, the set was designed with the thought of a level 70-75 White Mage entering Abyssea with the intent to seriously help and not try to key leech, hence why some of the gearing selection is odd. I've adjusted my description of that set to reflect this fact.

In terms of Colossus Torque versus Phalaina Locket, it does seem a bit counter-intuitive. My logic is that it's more reliable to blaze through ToAU than try for a drop at Bismarck. Depending on your server, Bismarck runs can be quite scarce or happen during a player's off hours, so being able to participate in one can prove difficult (I know I still haven't acquired the locket yet). Additionally, if someone has cleared ToAU already because White Mage isn't their first job, acquiring a Colossus Torque would be quite simple for them (get some Ore and smush face). Even if they haven't, getting ToAU mission clears is easy but can be time consuming. I also feel the Torque should be gotten early in one's WHM career because of the fact it doubles as an excellent Enhancing piece.

That's my rational at least, I'm not sure what would make a good substitute back in that slot except to put Ajari Bead Necklaces back in there.

Quetzalcoatl.Kimora said: »
For clear mind, Whm has Lv5 at Lv80 and Lv6 at Lv96

Just tested this and can confirm I got 30 MP returned on first tick of /heal with the second tick returning 34 and 38 on the third. Odd, neither BG Wiki nor Wikia lists the values for a Clear Mind VI. But the 30MP/tick certainly substantiates there is a Clear Mind VI for White Mages. I shall update accordingly.
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2013-03-03 22:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you've been working hard on this great job!
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-03 22:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice guide! Alongside my friend's advice on WHM, I shall also be referring to this for my mule. :D
 Carbuncle.Nezea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-03-04 04:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I still can't think of a reason to have martyr. People say it's for a quick emergency cure, but that's only good if you've panicked, which you shouldn't, or you're out of MP, which means you're dead anyways.

It doesn't mean you panicked. It more likely means someone took a lot of damage while you were in the middle of casting something and you need to cure them faster than usual or they're going to die. Regular cures are fast, but they're not instant. I know for sure Martyr has saved the day at least once or twice for me before.
By perryk 2013-03-04 09:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

A few small upgrades to hmp:

Eidolon Pendant > Gnole Torque

Refresh = +3.3333 hmp (if I'm not mistaken) so,
Wivre Hairpin > Mirror Tiara.
Stearc Subligar with Refresh & at least +2 hmp > Menhit Slacks

Great guide!
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19