Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Easiest Giant/Avatar to kill for Ochain items
Easiest Giant/Avatar to kill for Ochain items
By geigei 2012-10-26 12:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ogopogo have whm sacrosanctity @2% if no mdt set.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-10-26 12:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

People often cite Brulo as the easiest but Maere is the only one that doesn't use an awful 2-hr. If you have a WHM standing outside the range of nightmare, you should have no hicups whatsoever.

Brulo is nice because the T2 and the T3 pop relatively close to each other, and the T2 is easily soloable, but he his by far the most camped
[+]
By jmwillis02 2012-10-26 12:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the replies so far. so looks like grauberg it will be then for my ironclads. yay~
would bst make the t3s any easier or just stick with nin, whm n war?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-10-26 12:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ew bst, I'd stick to the trio.
[+]
By jmwillis02 2012-10-26 12:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

when i hit Azdaja for horns, better off wildfire brewing or just A edge brew them all for TH on thf?
 Asura.Ryothen
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ryothen 2012-10-26 12:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
when i hit Azdaja for horns, better off wildfire brewing or just A edge brew them all for TH on thf?

Azdaja is pretty squishy if you have some good DDs. I got through mine normally 4-6 at a time, just watch out for doom. If you don't have that many people then popping and brewing 3 at a time works too. Aeolian Edge would probably work best for that probably.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-10-26 12:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're duoing WHM + NIN, I'd argue Leviathan in Ule to be your best bet. A solid MDT set with Shellra V + a good Barwatera set turns that 2hr into nothing.

Ifrit in Altepa is easy as well in the same situation. Again, Shellra V + Barfira turns spike damage and the like into nothing at 99. However, I've noticed most people tend to camp this particular VNM just because it's the most straight forward out of the three zones, I feel.

Diabolos in Grau is annoying in my opinion, thus I'd try to avoid him. The T2 is cake though with, again, WHM duoing partner basically reducing her 2hr to pitiful numbers.

Good luck!
 Asura.Kohanu
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2012-10-26 13:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I did the Ulg VNM back at 90 duo with MNK+WHM and had no trouble with it. Shellra 5 and Barwatera with a decent set meant that the only thing that was really an issue at all was the constant poison effect, and these days you do a lot more damage so that really shouldn't be an issue.

Do people's WHMs just not have decent Bar-spell sets, so they need MDT sets?

EDIT: I totally said the wrong one. Go me.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2012-10-26 13:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Barwater and poison issues with Brulo?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-10-26 13:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Barspell effect is unreliable. Just because you resist 70% of tidal waves doesn't mean you'll resist all. MDT is the better option, by a lot.

They're all easy with MNK + WHM and halfass gear(both avatars and ironclads). However, if you can get a bunch of people to come pop, you can brew ~8x uleg ironclad in 1 brew. Did all 50 plates in less than 90 min like that. Altep ironclad is horrible to brew, grauberg ironclad is ok.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-10-26 13:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
People often cite Brulo as the easiest but Maere is the only one that doesn't use an awful 2-hr. If you have a WHM standing outside the range of nightmare, you should have no hicups whatsoever.
Only thing about that is the random draw-in sometimes used in conjunction with nightmare. Could complicate things if he chooses the whm to nightmare.
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2012-10-26 13:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

mfw people use fire resist atma for brulo when all you need is barfira and cures. Killed him countless times never to see a wipe
 Shiva.Ahleah
Server: Shiva
user: Ahleah
By Shiva.Ahleah 2012-10-26 13:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Using NIN + SCH(me), I had the NIN put on Future Fabulous atma, and then kept up appropriate barspell, shell V, and Phalanx. Brulo's spikes were doing single digits, Ogopogo's water attacks avg about 80-100.

We tried the fire resist atmas etc, and found Future Fabulous to be far superior in results. The only hard part of this trial.....claiming those damn T2s and getting them to upgrade.....so glad were done! lol
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-26 13:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Barspell effect is unreliable. Just because you resist 70% of tidal waves doesn't mean you'll resist all. MDT is the better option, by a lot.
Barspells are still worth it, regardless of magic evade rate and reliability.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-10-26 13:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Wasn't arguing that, but if your HP/MDT is such that you will be one-shotted if you don't resist, you're doing something wrong. It doesn't matter if you have 255/256 resist rate, that chance shouldn't exist when MDT gear is so easy to get. The person I quoted said MDT is unnecessary(which is true for a few race/jobs but not all).
 Asura.Kohanu
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2012-10-26 13:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never had the need for MDT gear on them between Shellra 5 and Barspells, considering the MDB on them from a WHM with proper gear. You know, that thing I used to have to explain to RDMs and bad WHMs so they would stop overriding my barspells.
By jmwillis02 2012-10-26 13:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

whats good/decent MDT set for war or pld? not sure what job ill be playing on mostly.. either war or pld for ochain
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-26 13:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Wasn't arguing that, but if your HP/MDT is such that you will be one-shotted if you don't resist, you're doing something wrong. It doesn't matter if you have 255/256 resist rate, that chance shouldn't exist when MDT gear is so easy to get. The person I quoted said MDT is unnecessary(which is true for a few race/jobs but not all).
I didn't see a quote, but PDT/MDT sets should be mandatory for most if not all jobs, whether you're worried about one shot or not, and most people have a hard time reading things in context and would probably assume barspells weren't worth the time from your post.
 Odin.Madotsuki
Server: Odin
user: Madotsuki
By Odin.Madotsuki 2012-10-26 13:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

jmwillis02 said: »
I found Azdaja to be the easiest part about the entire trial path, honestly (sans having to get a whole 75 horns). Never brewed him... fought with NIN/WAR (me), THF/NIN and WHM/BLM (my friend dualboxxing). Would pop, bring it down to the flux, and tail tank it. If one person lost cruor buffs, would make sure the other has hate while the other goes to restore them real quick. Usually could kill in 7 - 9 minutes depending on if Azdaja spams cruor buff removal. Then we'd go claim Deelgeed, get KI... rinse and repeat.

If you were going to brew, I suppose I'd agree with just doing Aeolian Edge on simultaneous pops.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-26 13:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

whats good/decent MDT set for war or pld? not sure what job ill be playing on mostly.. either war or pld for ochain

With shellra 5. Serves for both, can add more MDB where you have it and replace Defending with a dark and x2 merman's earring if you have to.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-10-26 13:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP I'd suggest doing Leviathan or Maere.
By Quiznor 2012-10-26 13:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Madotsuki said: »
I found Azdaja to be the easiest part about the entire trial path, honestly (sans having to get a whole 75 horns). Never brewed him... fought with NIN/WAR (me), THF/NIN and WHM/BLM (my friend dualboxxing). Would pop, bring it down to the flux, and tail tank it. If one person lost cruor buffs, would make sure the other has hate while the other goes to restore them real quick. Usually could kill in 7 - 9 minutes depending on if Azdaja spams cruor buff removal. Then we'd go claim Deelgeed, get KI... rinse and repeat.

If you were going to brew, I suppose I'd agree with just doing Aeolian Edge on simultaneous pops.

Thats exactly what I did.We had an LS cleave/leech party going all day and we had tons of pops saved up so we triple popped while I AoE brewed them all down.Average was 6 kills per brew but towards the end we got the timing down perfectly to fit 9 per brew.Got about 69-71 horns I think it was that day
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-10-26 14:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kohanu said:
Do people's WHMs just not have decent Bar-spell sets, so they need MDT sets?
-Quote in question

Austar said:
I didn't see a quote, but PDT/MDT sets should be mandatory for most if not all jobs, whether you're worried about one shot or not, and most people have a hard time reading things in context and would probably assume barspells weren't worth the time from your post.
Of course PDT/MDT should be mandatory. That doesn't mean every single player asking for advice on any topic has them. If you're on galka/elvaan melee with your merit abyssites, your rate of soul gain will be unaffected by whether you own MDT or PDT. If you're a taru THF, you better have a damn nice MDT set.

Barspells are definitely worth casting, but the inconsistancy means they aren't a replacement for MDT(which is what the person I initially meant to respond to said).

In the end, if your WHM has refresh atma and af3+2 legs, it doesn't matter if you cast barspells or have a perfect MDT set, if you don't get one shotted nothing relevant changes regarding your rate of getting souls.
By jmwillis02 2012-10-26 14:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

now for something off topic.. what sword should i do for PLD? seen more excals lately, but should i just stick with either Almace or the PDT sword? or is excal even worth doing?
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-10-26 14:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

With shellra 5. Serves for both, can add more MDB where you have it and replace Defending with a dark and x2 merman's earring if you have to.
The important thing is you aren't aiming too high...
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-26 14:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The important pieces aren't hard to get, the rest are luxuries. I don't think replacing defending with dark+ x2 merman's or even one of those -4% gauntlets is hard.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-10-26 14:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

now for something off topic.. what sword should i do for PLD? seen more excals lately, but should i just stick with either Almace or the PDT sword? or is excal even worth doing?
If you plan on owning both aegis/ochain, excalibur is nice. You lose TP when swapping shields, making excalibur the superior DD weapon. If you don't think you'll own both, or think you'll use PLD primarily in situations where leaving one shield on is sufficient, almace is better.
By jmwillis02 2012-10-26 14:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

i need to get into VW to get ogiers head n feet D: but no one wants to invite a non empy war.. /cry

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.