Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Easiest Giant/Avatar to kill for Ochain items
Easiest Giant/Avatar to kill for Ochain items
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2013-01-25 09:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Maere really isn't even hard enough to warrant placing a WHM outside of party. It's a good strategy for Azdaja, but with cruor being worthless now I'd definitely just brew them.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2013-01-25 10:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to brew anything, it ought to be Azdaja. Maere/Brulo/Ogo die in less than two minutes. At least Azdaja can make your life miserable by dispelling your cruor buffs/atmas.

You can do Maere without dropping your WHM, but why would you? It makes your life easier and significantly reduces the chance of everyone getting Nightmare'd and having him kill you and depop.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By raistlinmaj 2013-01-25 14:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Have Aegis? then all of them are soloable, brulo being easiest, ime. Apoc,RR,Savior was my usual set. pdt/mdt gear swaps as needed.
Usually could use my melee set for most of the fights though,save maere,which with the nightmare spam made pdt set fulltime kinda necessary, don't recommend him though since it can take an hour to beat him,lol.
By itchi508 2013-01-25 15:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Easyest Giant is grauberg im sure everyone will aggree. as for avatars: All of them are easy just depends what job/jobs you go as and or can get for help.also depending on day of week or time of day will change on wich is more over camped at that time. My suggestion is fight all 3 and see what is easyest for you to do. Everyone will have a different answer to this question due to there jobs, skills, gear and strat.
[+]
By Avitori 2013-01-25 15:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
Why farm souls for a WHM mule?

Anyway, I guess that's true. Either put a dummy body in the party, fill your inventory so the drops sit in the pool, or keep your WHM in party and stand out of max range. Not like it hits hard anyway.

Edit: And yes, Nightmare only hits inside the party.

Aeyela said: »
So let me get this straight... An outside White Mage can cure you on Maere with zero danger of being drawn in and slept?

What Maere will do:
Use nightmare on anyone in range even if they are outside party. (Tested this myself and lost a pop for you *** <3)

What Maere won't do:
Draw in anyone outside the party if they did not pop it as long as hate is not on them. (Nightmare will still land on them if they are not out of range.)

Keep in mind that Nightmare resets hate and even a Cure 1 to wake up the person fighting it will send Maere flying towards a mule. Caution: If it uses nightmare again at this time it will draw in the WHM! So be quick about getting hate back.

100% confirmed, tested myself today. So you're welcome.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-01-25 15:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Avitori said: »
(Tested this myself and lost a pop for you *** <3)

+1 just for that'
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-25 16:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
Maere really isn't even hard enough to warrant placing a WHM outside of party. It's a good strategy for Azdaja, but with cruor being worthless now I'd definitely just brew them.
And then the one time you fight it without dropping the WHM, it will draw the whm in with nightmare and its acc will spike up picking everyone off.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2013-01-25 17:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Burlo, easy as hell. But getting a T2 to a T3 there is hardest part. Very camped.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-25 17:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

What Maere will do:
Use nightmare on anyone in range even if they are outside party. (Tested this myself and lost a pop for you *** <3)
As someone whos farmed 65 of 75 Souls off Maere, it most definitely does not draw in people outside of party, unless SE ninja changed something at some point.

I agree Brulo is pretty much a joke, but thats why its more camped :(

It took a couple drinks for me to realize that while you didnt specify it there, you did state that Nightmare will hit out of party if you're in range of it. It doesnt matter who pops it though, I've popped Maere on my whm mule, and then got her out of the party, and she never got drawn in.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2013-01-25 19:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
Why farm souls for a WHM mule?

Anyway, I guess that's true. Either put a dummy body in the party, fill your inventory so the drops sit in the pool, or keep your WHM in party and stand out of max range. Not like it hits hard anyway.

Edit: And yes, Nightmare only hits inside the party.

Aeyela said: »
So let me get this straight... An outside White Mage can cure you on Maere with zero danger of being drawn in and slept?

What Maere will do:

What Maere won't do:
Draw in anyone outside the party if they did not pop it. (Nightmare will still land on them if they are not out of range.)

Keep in mind that Nightmare resets hate and even a Cure 1 to wake up the person fighting it will send Maere flying towards a mule. Caution: If it uses nightmare again at this time it will draw in the WHM! So be quick about getting hate back.

100% confirmed, tested myself today. So you're welcome.

Wow I'm dumb lol. I kept saying it doesn't hit outside the party but what I meant was that only people inside the party usually get hit because the WHM doesn't get drawn in. I've definitely accidentally hit my healer with Nightmare because because I was moving around and moved Maere into range.

Woops. Sorry about your pop man.
 Fenrir.Evildemon
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-01-27 19:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

i don't know what your talking about maere is not easy... nightmare at start = de-pop and nightmare back to back = de-pop just lost two pops to that ***
 Quetzalcoatl.Tanag
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tanag
By Quetzalcoatl.Tanag 2013-02-11 11:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished my Ochain (90) so I figured I'd psot my experience.

Plates
For the Giant I found the Uleg one to be the easiest. The pops are super cheap on the AH compared to Altep, and the giant just dies faster. As a MNK WHM dual box he was a joke. Just tank against a wall and melee him to death. WS as you can, but you are amnesiad a lot so its a bit rare.
The only time I was at risk of dying was if I aggrod the elemental on my WHM.

Souls
Souls were just balls. They by far took me the most time. Brulo is of course the easiest, but camped to hell. Uleg is decent but a bit more dangerous. I also saw a lot of competition there.
Just be sure to either be THF or bring a THF as you want to get this done asap and that TH helps a lot.

Horns
Wow what a joke. After reading forums posts and the wiki I thought this stage was gonna be rough. I had plans to brew them all. Turns out Azdaja is super easy.
I did all 75 in one weekend as NIN WHM(dual box) THF.
Have the WHM cure from outside the party to avoid AOE and dispel. We flail tanked in what PDT gear we had, but really it wasn't much. Just be sure to keep shadows up at all costs so you don't eat an endoom or other status effect. Bring Holy Waters just in case though.

Edit: I should note I have both Verethragna for my MNK and Kannagi for my NIN. While I think these fights are all doable as I mentioned without those, just slower, I figured I'd mention it anyway.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-02-11 11:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just throwing this out there, but before the most recent patch, Azdaja's attempt to cast dispel wiped all your cruor buffs and atmas, so saying "I just finished it and it was a joke" does NOT correlate to anyone elses Azdaja before the patch.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-02-11 11:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Just throwing this out there, but before the most recent patch, Azdaja's attempt to cast dispel wiped all your cruor buffs and atmas, so saying "I just finished it and it was a joke" does NOT correlate to anyone elses Azdaja before the patch.

Repeated for emphasis. That guy was an ***. I'm glad they fixed the "it doesn't matter if you stun dispel, hahahaha" ***, but yeah, he's a much easier row to hoe nowadays.
 Quetzalcoatl.Tanag
By Quetzalcoatl.Tanag 2013-02-11 12:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

A good point for sure. I did all 75 this past weekend so it was after any patch. I can't speak to before it.

I lost cruor buffs a few fights, but it didn't have much impact other than slowing the fight down. I lost about 1k WS damage from Blade: Hi.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-11 13:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Fenrir.Evildemon said: »
i don't know what your talking about maere is not easy... nightmare at start = de-pop and nightmare back to back = de-pop just lost two pops to that ***
This is why I always tell people "with 3 people it's fool proof. if you duo maere you're playing with fire and adding annoying unnecessary risks"

/comfort sucks to lose 2 trigs though

I stick to brulo mostly but too much competition
 Quetzalcoatl.Tanag
By Quetzalcoatl.Tanag 2013-02-11 13:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Your mileage may vary depending on server, but I seemed to have the best luck on Quetz starting at like 1-2am EST on weekdays at Brulo.

Weekends were basically not worth trying. It was always packed :(
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-11 16:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Tanag said: »
Your mileage may vary depending on server, but I seemed to have the best luck on Quetz starting at like 1-2am EST on weekdays at Brulo.

Weekends were basically not worth trying. It was always packed :(

I wish I could do it at that time of the morning. Usually when I do try it is on weekends around noon or 1 pm est. Which has the jps who are still awake and other na's who are waking up as well so Brulo is a ***show so when you do claim against a party of 5 you don't upgrade for like 8 tries lol
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-02-12 05:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing like having an uncontested VNM2 for 2 1/2 hours, but getting 0 upgrades, then watching someone come along, pop the VNM2 from under your nose (without previous ToD no less), then watch them run off and pop the VNM3.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-12 10:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Nothing like having an uncontested VNM2 for 2 1/2 hours, but getting 0 upgrades, then watching someone come along, pop the VNM2 from under your nose (without previous ToD no less), then watch them run off and pop the VNM3.

Story of my Life lol
[+]