First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-19 17:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If you enjoy camping buy a tent and go in the woods.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-04-19 17:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Though red mage is proficient in close range combat

Yea, they are.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-19 17:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
Yea, they are.

With access to some decent melee gear, a reasonably powerful merit WS and a variety of great swords and WS gear to back it up, RDM is definately doing well in the melee department. Nobody would claim its a DD, but its far more mage than BLU and far more melee than any other mage. Its a great job in a game that doesn't need it anymore.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-19 21:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, they are.

In what event? Seriously, tell me, because I can't think of anything other than Ballista I would bring RDM to right now over my BRD, let alone my BLU, if I want to hit monsters with sharp stuff.

Odin.Jassik said: »
Yea, they are.

With access to some decent melee gear, a reasonably powerful merit WS and a variety of great swords and WS gear to back it up, RDM is definately doing well in the melee department. Nobody would claim its a DD, but its far more mage than BLU and far more melee than any other mage. Its a great job in a game that doesn't need it anymore.

Really? Have any evidence to support that assertion? I can't imagine in what situation you would bring a RDM for the purpose of meleeing ***, ever. You know what other jobs have access to some decent melee gear, a reasonably powerful merit WS, and a variety of great weapons and WS gear to back them up? All the other mage jobs that are "far less melee" that have melee discussion threads or posts on FFXIAH.
By Kimble2013 2013-04-19 21:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

But that would require getting off the computer and going outside :(
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 21:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is technically the strongest melee-er of the true mages (RDM BLM WHM SMN SCH)

(The ranking is RDM > WHM >> SMN > SCH > BLM)

Of these jobs, however WHM is unique in that participating in front-line combat augments assists it in performing its normal duties on applicable content.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-04-19 21:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Kimble2013 said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

But that would require getting off the computer and going outside :(
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-19 22:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM has access to melee gear, and is more proficient than most mage jobs. It's not supposed to out DD a Melee job.

He also said it is good, but there is no content in game that warrents it's use. So asking what scenario to use RDM is just idiotic when he said "has no use anymore" I mean in what scenario would you EVER choose a Mage DD over a Melee ? Never. Mage DD's were for soloing content that DD's couldn't IE NM's with lots of magic dmg.

When has a RDM ever been used as a DD for monsters when you have access to a 6 man pt.... Never... Because it was dumb... Where's the arguement again?

RDM was always a great Solo Melee due to cures and bar and enfeebs.

It would be Unbalanced for a RDM to have the same DPS as a MNK. My RDM ws's 1.6k with CDC and 1.9k with req. I personally feel thats decent in Aldoulin content. If anything a little strong considering instant cast spells essentially.

Just because your RDM does meh damage, well sorry you can't deal 6k dmg WS's, cast cures in a instant and enfeebs and support your pt. Because being everything at once wouldn't be broken.... Plus RDM can solo certain kindred crest NM's using a mandau and aoelin edge how is RDM not a Mage DD? It is, theres just no content EVER BEEN IN FFXI THAT SPECIFICALLY NEEDED A MELEE MAGE It has always been a solo job, so don't expect it to be used for anything other than solo if you plan to DD on it.

The only reason rdm has next to 0 playability nowadays is due to its lack of magic capabilities to support a party. It's DD capabilities have been improved just not enough to make people think " I want a mage DD for the 1 nm in game I MIGHT not get help with"...
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 22:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

JPs take RDM to almost everything, but they also have a sightly different approach to group content than we do.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-04-19 22:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
RDM is technically the strongest melee-er of the true mages (RDM BLM WHM SMN SCH)

Of these jobs, however WHM is unique in that participating in front-line combat augments assists it in performing its normal duties on applicable content.

Serious question:

How is Blue Mage not a true "mage" job?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 22:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue Mage is a hybrid class.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-19 22:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

JPs take RDM to almost everything, but they also have a sightly different approach to group content than we do.

Personally where able I take a RDM for Slow II if it can land.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-19 22:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU can play like a BLM actualy all be it weaker nukes, but with set amounts of hate on those spells no matter your dmg, allowing them to nuke more often than BLM without drawing hate.

I would concede however that BLU is more Melee than Mage, but it is a Mage and can be played like one. and in arguements about "hybrid" so is RDM
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-04-19 22:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You should probably specify that BLU absolutely destroys those jobs on the frontline while being able to do most of the things those jobs do as good as or better.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 22:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue Mage is a hybrid class.

Also you can keep your BLU main healing.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-19 22:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU beats all, we get it.

No one's dispputing that!
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 22:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

And also, no - BLU isn't particularly proficient at anything you would specifically bring any of the true mages for.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-19 22:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't argue a BLU Healer would beat a whm or RDM for that matter.

The point was that BLU have magical nukes, and can be played as such. I also supplied reasons why it can be useful in this matter. I never said it beats BLM at Magical nukes (my post actually states weaker nukes)

but overall ~ it can switch between Melee and Nuke damage better than a RDM can.

Edit* Lets not forget BLU is limited in the number of spells it can use at any time however. Meaning it has tp be more focused on a specific role unlike a RDM which can just swap out in an instant.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-04-19 22:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, they are.

In what event? Seriously, tell me, because I can't think of anything other than Ballista I would bring RDM to right now over my BRD, let alone my BLU, if I want to hit monsters with sharp stuff.

Odin.Jassik said: »
Yea, they are.

Really? Have any evidence to support that assertion? I can't imagine in what situation you would bring a RDM for the purpose of meleeing ***, ever. You know what other jobs have access to some decent melee gear, a reasonably powerful merit WS, and a variety of great weapons and WS gear to back them up? All the other mage jobs that are "far less melee" that have melee discussion threads or posts on FFXIAH.

Meeble perhaps or defo dynamis duo dc with thf/dnc imo rdm/dnc is a strong and safe job to pair with thf. Requis/exent mercy/death blossom scs or cdc if using almace over excal.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 22:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is a mage class with supplemental melee proficiency and BLU is a melee class with supplemental magic proficiency.
[+]
By Gimp 2013-04-19 23:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

And also, no - BLU isn't particularly proficient at anything you would specifically bring any of the true mages for.

That's very untrue. There isn't a need when you can have a better job but blu has the abilities and people undervalue them very often.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 23:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, people are not "undervaluing" them they're just picking a better option

BLU does not have the magic damage output of a BLM or a SCH which is why you don't generally seek a BLU when you need magic damage, Abyssea aside
BLU does not have the healing output of a SCH or WHM
BLU is probably better at everything compared to SMN except for providing 30 seconds of immunity once an hour and stunning hard things once every 45 seconds

None of these jobs have the self-sufficient melee capabilities of a BLU, (although RDM comes the closest).
[+]
By Kimble2013 2013-04-19 23:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You have upset the BLU community. This will not end peacefully.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-04-19 23:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Kimble2013 said: »
You have upset the BLU community. This will not end peacefully.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-19 23:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I can live with myself for saying BLU is really good at one subset of the things it's technical capable of doing but just mediocre to "okay" at the complement subset of things it's technically capable of doing.

Just like every job except SMN and RUN, probably (both of which aren't really good at anything)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-19 23:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming that BLU is magnificent at everything would be foolish, it's just as Sylow said: BLU is a melee job with supplementary magic, most of its strongest magic being debuffs and buffs rather than heals or nukes.
[+]
By Gimp 2013-04-19 23:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, people are not "undervaluing" them they're just picking a better option

BLU does not have the magic damage output of a BLM or a SCH which is why you don't generally seek a BLU when you need magic damage, Abyssea aside
BLU does not have the healing output of a SCH or WHM
BLU is probably better at everything compared to SMN except for providing 30 seconds of immunity once an hour and stunning hard things once every 45 seconds

None of these jobs have the self-sufficient melee capabilities of a BLU, (although RDM comes the closest).

1. Definitely doesn't and definitely not my best forte to argue against... only to say that blu nuking is a valid option (just hard on the mp recovery) and there's requiescat if it's something you aren't kiting, additionally to support the other mages you have magic defense down abilities that aid them and yourself.

2. This is true but not every situation calls for the healing output of one a blu could keep you alive through most things if done properly unless you're taking very large and obscene amounts of damage in a short amount of time you can't recover from. That itself sounds fishy and could be caused by other problems or it's a particular field of endgame (legion).

3. Smn...is a mage and so half-baked it is forbidden for discussion On the real I really can't think of anything for or against besides hateless damage and cheap mitigation abilities in pet fights and kited fights(which for the most part aren't done anymore)

4. Definitely.

People take the best because it is the best and being used to the best skews their perception of what isn't the best and attempt to pigeon hole abilities uncommonly used into being much less than desirable in any sort of situation. It's a problem that many people do and is more subjective and dependent on those people but it is a common issue to take note of.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-04-19 23:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you can put many jobs in many places and they'll do "okay" but the problem is that "okay" isn't good enough to get a job a spot somewhere or to be sought after. If someone needs nukes or a healer, they aren't very likely to accept a blu to do it even if they could actually do it.

These types of situations are those that you use a job when you don't want to shout or can't find help for something. I've main healed on blu and brd and even blm before, dd'ed on rdm and brd but if I'm in a group I probably wouldn't need to do that because I'd be better off doing something else, well aside from rdm... no one wants my rdm for anything anyway.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-20 00:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it has been pretty well explained at this point.

I wouldn't call BLU a "MAGE" for the same reason I wouldn't call RDM relevant... Sure, it can do all the things that other mages do, but outside of a few select niches, they all just do them better.

I classify and play BLU as a DD... /WAR, TA/DW3, eat RCB, lots of offensive buffing spells, ride berserk, etc. RDM tickles things and can't be killed, BLU smashes things and has much more limitted survivablity. They clearly are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-20 00:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't really say that BLU's survivability is very limited compared to RDM's considering changes to game mechanics, new spells, etc.; Sudden Lunge, Delta Thrust, Cocoon, Occultation, Actinic Burst, a potent and MP efficient heal... not very much that RDM gets over us aside from a stronger Phalanx, Stoneskin, and Protect at the cost of not having some of the stronger defensive spells that BLU has at its disposal.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7