Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 445 446 447
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2012-05-24 13:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The Denali set was always hideous in my opinion aside from maybe the pants which are ok I suppose. Oce hat is nice though I like it for it's uniqueness.

But that's what dat swaps are for. :)

I for one always .dat swapped Mavi Tayt into the blue homam set you can find floating around the interwebs.
By Ionve 2012-05-25 20:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Prothescar, i've seen your gearsets.. and I have a question to ask about your physical set..

Over the years being on blu, i've built multiple sets for the diff spells (str/dex sets, pure dex sets, Int, mnd.. you get the idea.), That physical set of yours(it may be dumb of me to ask, but i just want to be sure in my own head.) that works best for all the phys. spells? (Benthic, Dissev, Quad.Continuum, Amorphic, Quadrastrike, etc etc etc.)
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-26 08:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ionve said: »
Prothescar, i've seen your gearsets.. and I have a question to ask about your physical set..

Over the years being on blu, i've built multiple sets for the diff spells (str/dex sets, pure dex sets, Int, mnd.. you get the idea.), That physical set of yours(it may be dumb of me to ask, but i just want to be sure in my own head.) that works best for all the phys. spells? (Benthic, Dissev, Quad.Continuum, Amorphic, Quadrastrike, etc etc etc.)

While I think most spells would end up very similar there are some striking differences between spells with low or no str mod.

In the long run, it's going to need to be calculated for each spell and each piece to see what will maximize your damage against various mobs. Speaking of which, does anyone have a calculator for blu magic? It's kinda an arduous process to do for 10+ spells in various situations ^^;
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-26 17:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

A few slots in that set are subject to minor variation between spells, but as an all-in-one set that's pretty much what you'd want to aim for. If you have the inventory space, necessary equipment, and know where improvements can be made, no reason not to micromanage.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-26 18:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ionve said: »

That set there is best for spells with STR/DEX mods, some minor variations exist for spells with STR/VIT mods, and spells with "non-standard" modifiers such as Benthic Typhoon, however the differences aren't very large in most cases. The most you'd really want to do is swap out the Wanion Belt for Warwolf or Prosilio on STR/VIT spells.

For spells such as Benthic Typhoon, you'll probably want to swap out a couple of slots with their respective modifiers, in this case AGI, however I do not really advise wasting the inventory space on gear pieces you may not already be carrying, nor do I find it to be worth the effort even if you have the free space available. Things such as Thaumas head and Prosilio belt would be fine swaps since you're likely carrying them anyway.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-26 18:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Speaking of which, does anyone have a calculator for blu magic? It's kinda an arduous process to do for 10+ spells in various situations ^^;

PM me. Will give you a copy of my personal sheet.
 Seraph.Busterwolf
Server: Seraph
user: Kaope
By Seraph.Busterwolf 2012-05-27 11:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

2 questions:

1) Is Thaumas hat better than Teal Chapeau for magical nukes?
2) Is Icesoul Ring better than Strendu Ring for magical nukes?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-27 12:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

1) No
2) No

For 1 it's better for Gates of hades and Sanguine Blade. It's only very slightly behind Teal, so using it instead to save an inventory slot won't kill you.

In the case of 2 it depends on the nuke. Things like Charged Whisker benefit more from stat rings over Strendu.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-27 13:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that assuming BA is up?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-27 17:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

For basic INT/MND nukes, no.
 Ragnarok.Galiber
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2012-05-28 04:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanion Belt > Penitent's for Sanguine and most nukes? (crossing fingers as it yould be inv +1!)
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-05-28 05:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

How about Thaumas hat for Vorpal blade?
For.. you know.. those few times it's used to proc? :P
Just trying to figure out if it's worth bringing at all
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-05-28 14:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I give my approval of this thread.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-06-03 18:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Posting to suggest Scopuli Nails as another alternative on the feet slot for Chant du Cygne. :3

Also a good rep for DEX and AGI spell mods.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-06-03 18:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
How about Thaumas hat for Vorpal blade?
For.. you know.. those few times it's used to proc? :P
Just trying to figure out if it's worth bringing at all
If you're using Athos hands then it's pretty close with Athos hat, maybe a small edge to Thaumas (did the calcs months ago). If you're using anything else and thus not using any additional Athos pieces, Thaumas would certainly be your best option. I wouldn't sweat it just for procs, but to each their own. Certainly not a bad Benthic piece if you feel you're good on accuracy, but I moved BT-specific gear (what little I used, anyway) out of standard inventory once Amorphic Spikes was released.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-03 23:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ditto, if I use Benthic these days it's mostly just for the def down D:
Guess I'll see if I feel like I can fit it into my inventory
By Yozo 2012-06-08 23:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just went through entire thread, marvelous. Incoming stupid and/or superfluous question though: Could you go into more detail about your Tizona simulation? I still can't wrap my head around it. Also, what changes in your sets would you make if you had a Tizona?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-06-09 18:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Nikia said: »
Wanted to ask real fast please if Nomkahpa Mittens would beat out Thaumas Gloves? Other gear would be oce+1 head/thaumas body/legs/feet. Thank you.
4 pieces is +10 to STR DEX AGI and MND and 3 pieces is +5 to each of those so, it'd basically be:

13 DEX, 9 ACC vs: 3% DA

This is just judging based off a glance but if your Ddex is near cap, your acc is not capped or you'd just prefer a slightly more defensive piece then Thaumas would win, if not, nomnom gloves would probably pull ahead on average.

I'd wait for confirmation from one of the resident mathy peoples but in my opinion though, I think I'd prefer to go for the -1 inventory and save myself a good 5-10 mil based on your server (if you can even get them at all) and just use thaumas since you aren't going to replace Thaumas anyway.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-09 18:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yozo said: »
Just went through entire thread, marvelous. Incoming stupid and/or superfluous question though: Could you go into more detail about your Tizona simulation? I still can't wrap my head around it. Also, what changes in your sets would you make if you had a Tizona?

I'll look and see if I saved any of it. I always use level 110~115 monsters with 110~115VIT and 500~600DEF for comparisons like these, as I don't care about comparing for fodder.

For gear, essentially I only used normal optimal TP and Requiescat sets though, which was actually an error on my part since there are very very likely slots where you can swap out multiattack for other stats while AM is up.
 Ragnarok.Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2012-06-09 18:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
For gear, essentially I only used normal optimal TP and Requiescat sets though, which was actually an error on my part since there are very very likely slots where you can swap out multiattack for other stats while AM is up.

Another case where Oa2/4 would shine! :P
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-09 19:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-06-09 19:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
Oa2/4
Let's not and say we didn't, okay? Okay.
By Yozo 2012-06-09 20:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, wasn't sure if the extra spam/multi-attacking would make up for CdC being a superior WS. And of course Shikargar off-hand with Tizona? Thanks for the response.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-09 20:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah STR shikargar. Honestly, Requiescat doesn't get enough credit. On average it is not that much worse than CDC, and with the added bonus of Tizona's OA2-3 it's positively immense.
By Gimp 2012-06-09 20:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

For DA Khadga offhand you're relying on the extra hits to keep up with the delay of shikargar. Yes you are getting more hits in a shorter amount of time but on average both weapons will get roughly the same amount of hits and parse even on delay assuming accuracy is capped. Not factoring in the bonuses of str/attack to both hands which would make shikargar pull ahead easily

And I hate to say it but it's time for firesday to make up for my old mistake lol

edit: convoluted the way i wrote that, rephrased.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-06-09 21:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The nice thing about str shikargar is that it also helps your blu spells and ws. I know that optimally (with almace) there's no reason to use too many spells on upper mobs but when you do it helps. I wish I hadn't wasted my time making a OAT sword back when ToM first came out but I wasn't as educated as I should of been and didn't have such a lovely resource as this thread back then.
 Ragnarok.Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2012-06-10 13:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
Oa2/4
Let's not and say we didn't, okay? Okay.

Lol. I know I know. I prefer my STR stick too, but seriously how much fun would Tizona AM3 + OA2/4 be? Like hundred fists poping a ws every 2 rounds.

I'd love it!

One thing I don't agree about is Requiescat. I can't pull decent numbers on it ever (ever). On BLU at least, it's almost same dmg as CDC on my PLD :/

Ninja Edit: And wait part one and two of my post don't get along together, arghh!
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-06-10 13:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I do 2.2k average outside abyssea with my cheap Requiescat set. Can probably do better.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 445 446 447